Thread: JVC X-Eye and Genesis Connections

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default JVC X-Eye and Genesis Connections

Ok, this one will be simple. Can you use the same a/v cables and rf adapters for a JVC X-Eye as you would with a normal Genesis? I have a X-Eye with no hook ups and was wondering if I could use Genesis hook ups for it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Ok, this one will be simple. Can you use the same a/v cables and rf adapters for a JVC X-Eye as you would with a normal Genesis? I have a X-Eye with no hook ups and was wondering if I could use Genesis hook ups for it.
    Yes and No.

For AV, it's the same. There are three flavors of JVC X'Eye output: RCA + DIN, DIN only, RCA only.

The AV multi out jack is the same as the Genesis Model 2 and because of that the cable will work the same in both systems. RCA jacks are just that, standard Ye/Re/Wh composite connections that will work with standard Ye/Wh/Re composite RCA cables.

For power, NO. The Genesis 2 power adapter will fit and it'll make the system run, but it is not the proper power for the system. The JVC X'Eye uses...

Part Number: AA-S95J

Input: 120V AC 60Hz 25W
    Output: 9.5V DC 1.5A
    Positive Tip

While a Genesis Model 2 power supply outputs...

Genesis 2 PS:
    Input: 120V AC 60Hz 15W
    Output: 10V DC 0.85A

That means the Genesis 2 power supply is underrated by 0.65A, which can cause all sorts of problems with your JVC X'Eye. The only stock power supply I've heard of (but have not personally confirmed) matching the JVC X'Eye specs (other than the original) is the one for the Sega CDX.

The best alternative if you can't find a JVC X'Eye power supply is to use a universal power adapter that can be set at 9v - 10v and that outputs at least 1.5A. Remember that circuits draw current, the JVC X'Eye will only take what it needs and all it needs is 1.5A. That means if you found a power supply that was 9.5v @ 30A that would be fine as well as the system would only draw the 1.5A. Don't get this confused with voltage in which a circuit is given all that is fed into it, which is why you want to either be right on 9.5v or very close to it.

Of course if you find another power supply that matches the specs but has a different plug on the end you can swap the plug from a Genesis 2 power supply as it fits. My JVC X'Eye power supply was in pretty rough shape so that's what I had to do.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 02-16-2008 at 02:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Yes and No.

For AV, it's the same. There are three flavors of JVC X'Eye output: RCA + DIN, DIN only, RCA only.

The AV multi out jack is the same as the Genesis Model 2 and because of that the cable will work the same in both systems. RCA jacks are just that, standard Ye/Re/Wh composite connections that will work with standard Ye/Wh/Re composite RCA cables.

For power, NO. The Genesis 2 power adapter will fit and it'll make the system run, but it is not the proper power for the system. The JVC X'Eye uses...

Part Number: AA-S95J

Input: 120V AC 60Hz 25W
    Output: 9.5V DC 1.5A
    Positive Tip

While a Genesis Model 2 power supply outputs...

Genesis 2 PS:
    Input: 120V AC 60Hz 15W
    Output: 10V DC 0.85A

That means the Genesis 2 power supply is underrated by 0.65A, which can cause all sorts of problems with your JVC X'Eye. The only stock power supply I've heard of (but have not personally confirmed) matching the JVC X'Eye specs (other than the original) is the one for the Sega CDX.

The best alternative if you can't find a JVC X'Eye power supply is to use a universal power adapter that can be set at 9v - 10v and that outputs at least 1.5A. Remember that circuits draw current, the JVC X'Eye will only take what it needs and all it needs is 1.5A. That means if you found a power supply that was 9.5v @ 30A that would be fine as well as the system would only draw the 1.5A. Don't get this confused with voltage in which a circuit is given all that is fed into it, which is why you want to either be right on 9.5v or very close to it.

Of course if you find another power supply that matches the specs but has a different plug on the end you can swap the plug from a Genesis 2 power supply as it fits. My JVC X'Eye power supply was in pretty rough shape so that's what I had to do.
    The funny thing is I actually just got a Genesis 2 power adapter from Goodwill today for $3 and I was hoping it would work. So basically that will probably give the X-Eye problems and what I really need to find is a Universal power adapter that can be set between 9v and 10v. Hopefully I can turn one of those up at one of my local flea markets. Thanks for all your help Insane David.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ehh, those universals usually at fleamarkets, are not capable of more than 500mA.

Even if it says it can, it's a FLEA MARKET, home of cheap knockoffs..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    Even if it says it can, it's a FLEA MARKET, home of cheap knockoffs..
    Hmm.. considering I got my...

JVC X'Eye system ($2.00)
    JVC X'Eye branded RF switch ($1.00)
    JVC X'Eye branded control pad ($1.00)
    JVC X'Eye power adapter ($1.00)

...all at different times from different people at the same flea market, I'd say your assumption is incorrect. With enough searching you'll find an adapter that will suffice, even if you have to swap the plug from a Genesis 2 power adapter. Of course you should know what you're buying.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm.. considering I got my...

JVC X'Eye system ($2.00)
    JVC X'Eye branded RF switch ($1.00)
    JVC X'Eye branded control pad ($1.00)
    JVC X'Eye power adapter ($1.00)

...all at different times from different people at the same flea market, I'd say your assumption is incorrect. With enough searching you'll find an adapter that will suffice, even if you have to swap the plug from a Genesis 2 power adapter. Of course you should know what you're buying.
    He was talking about a UNIVERSAL adapter...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    He was talking about a UNIVERSAL adapter...
    I've picked up plenty of those at flea markets as well, use them to run everything from 1980's era tabletop VFD games and Pong clones to current stuff that uses a standard external adapter like the V.Smile consoles.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I've picked up plenty of those at flea markets as well, use them to run everything from 1980's era tabletop VFD games and Pong clones to current stuff that uses a standard external adapter like the V.Smile consoles.
    My flea markets never have stuff like that. I think I might have to check radio shack for that.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantSvgun View Post
    My flea markets never have stuff like that. I think I might have to check radio shack for that.
    You gotta dig through the big junk boxes of miscellaneous and go through the giant knots of cables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the other forum members sold me their RF adaptor for $2 because they had no need for it(they sold their X-Eye last year). So now I can sell my used one as complete.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Hey InsaneDavid, would one of those generic adapters they sell on ebay work? The ones that say they work for all genesis systems.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantSvgun View Post
    Hey InsaneDavid, would one of those generic adapters they sell on ebay work? The ones that say they work for all genesis systems.
    Probably not, the jack will fit but more than likely the amperage will be too low (as the Genesis 2 and 3 both have much lower draws so the rating is usually lower than what the JVC X'Eye wants - the problem with the stock Genesis 2 adapter). If you can get the seller(s) to e-mail you the output specs then I could tell you from there.