Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Illustrates Nintendo's Greatest Problem [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Review: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Illustrates Nintendo's Greatest Problem [Slashdot]

Jon Brodkin writes "There’s a new Super Mario Bros. game out for the 3DS handheld console. It’s called New Super Mario Bros. 2 and features Mario, Princess Peach, Bowser, and the same fun gameplay you’ve come to expect from Nintendo’s most iconic game series. But this latest adventure stands out by not standing out at all." Read below for the rest of Jon's review.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Bah, I'm still getting this (preordered from Best Buy because of a $10-off deal dating back to the E3; my copy should arrive tomorrow by the time I'm at work). Mario games are rarely truly bad (not counting CD-i atrocities), and easy, classic gameplay isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

All I can say is that more of the best is never a bad thing. More of the generic is what is bad.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Why completely ruin what works so well?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regardless if it is a good Mario game or a bad one, I wish I had a 3ds for this game alone. Like pizza or sex, even lousy Mario is pretty good- excluding the CD-i games like Lady Jaye said, of course.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Regardless if it is a good Mario game or a bad one, I wish I had a 3ds for this game alone. Like pizza or sex, even lousy Mario is pretty good- excluding the CD-i games like Lady Jaye said, of course.
    Opinion only, but Mario 64 wasn't good.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It really just is some attention seeking whining and bitching for the sake of drawing hits to a website. They're not the only one to do it. Another guy gave it an 8, but the review screamed a 5 whining it was just more of the same Mario and that it's overdone and played out daring to say it was a B-team of fools who made it. Thing is there hasn't been another portable New SMB since the DS game like 5 years ago.

For all the time that people release sequels and then get bitched out for making changes and dumbing down stuff or doing bad ideas, Mario is consistent. It's like you can't win either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was really disappointed by New Super Mario Bros. for DS (bought it day one) and barely touched the Wii version. If the 3DS version is more of the same I can understand the backlash. NSMB DS is average and unspectacular, especially in comparison to previous 2D Mario titles.

Nintendo proved a certain amount of people will buy virtually anything with Mario stamped on it with the US version of SMB2, so I can understand why there's interest in this series.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I played for ~2 hours last night and really enjoyed it. In all honesty...it 's very similar to the first NSMB. Only this one dumps on the coins. I've racked up 6000 coins so far and have 40+ extra lives. If this game has any criticism it should be for being too easy (I don't really care, but some might). Anyway it's another solid effort from Nintendo.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of the NSMB have been disappointing, but the fanboys will buy anything.
    Mario Land 3D and the Galaxy games are where it's at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I played the first two worlds so far, and I like it. It's not as easy as people say (although it's definitely not brutally difficult like, say, Ninja Gaiden or Mega Man), and the music is not as monotonous as I read it was. The game refers mainly to SMB3 and Super Mario World without being a rehash/remake of those two games. I find it to be an interesting complement to Mario 3D Land.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Nintendo proved a certain amount of people will buy virtually anything with Mario stamped on it with the US version of SMB2, so I can understand why there's interest in this series.
    Funny you should say that. In the last month Miyamoto did an interview, I think maybe with IGN, not sure, but he was asked his favorite Super Mario game ever that he created and guess what. He couldn't decide. He tied it between SMB1 and SMB2. So like, are you saying that the creator of Mario has no taste either?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really liked it, even thought it's really easy. I beat it in a day (didn't get everything) and I'm no hardcore gamer so it's great but doesn't last long. Any Mario fan should like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I haven't played it yet. I just bought a used copy off someone who got it off another person who owed them cash (as he already had a digital copy) for $33 shipped so I'll give it some time in a few days. I'm curious about the whole coin explosion.

I have to admit though as well laid out as these 'new' smb games are I can't quite place it. It almost feels like they just have no soul or something because I have to motivate myself to play them a bit while I can still go back and do a game like SMW which I started to recently on GBA and I enjoy it. It might as well be new as I haven't seriously tried playing it in like 20 years.

I never did finish the New SMB Wii, but the system is at fault as much as the game because I got so fed up with how it has been mistreated, abused, and how ripped off on bad games it has become so being sour on a system really doesn't help. I did finish the old DS game, it was cool, but I really despised them hiding entire worlds of the game without taking the micro mario detour as that was pure bullshit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    All of the NSMB have been disappointing, but the fanboys will buy anything.
    Mario Land 3D and the Galaxy games are where it's at.
    NSMB on Wii was amazing. The difficulty actually felt right and the game was the first to incorporate the simultaneous co-op mode. But on DS, they are pathetically easy, like 1 or 2 out of 10 difficulty wise. Thus I never finished the DS one, but I enjoyed every moment of the Wii version.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Funny you should say that. In the last month Miyamoto did an interview, I think maybe with IGN, not sure, but he was asked his favorite Super Mario game ever that he created and guess what. He couldn't decide. He tied it between SMB1 and SMB2. So like, are you saying that the creator of Mario has no taste either?
    Yeah, that was exactly what I was saying. Come on, man. Anyway, perhaps he was referring to the Japanese version of SMB2?
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Well, Miyamoto was more closely involved in Doki Doki Panic than in SMB2J, so he may have meant Doki Doki Panic/SMB2USA after all. Then again, according to Howard Phillips at CGE, when SMB2J was rejected by NOA (on Phillips' recommendation), it was Nintendo of Japan, not NOA, who decided to convert Doki Doki Panic into SMB2.

Anyway, going back to NSMB2, the Coin Rush mode has this "one more try" quality that makes you want to restart again and again to try to better the overall score, especially when trying to compete via StreetPass with other players (even more so when said players are people you know personally).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Yeah, that was exactly what I was saying. Come on, man. Anyway, perhaps he was referring to the Japanese version of SMB2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    Well, Miyamoto was more closely involved in Doki Doki Panic than in SMB2J, so he may have meant Doki Doki Panic/SMB2USA after all. Then again, according to Howard Phillips at CGE, when SMB2J was rejected by NOA (on Phillips' recommendation), it was Nintendo of Japan, not NOA, who decided to convert Doki Doki Panic into SMB2.

Anyway, going back to NSMB2, the Coin Rush mode has this "one more try" quality that makes you want to restart again and again to try to better the overall score, especially when trying to compete via StreetPass with other players (even more so when said players are people you know personally).
    Well the interview he specifically said Super Mario Bros and Super Mario USA. I was thinking it could have meant that when I read the catch all headline before I read the interview/article entirely. I was surprised too. But, his reasons were all the things he added to SMUSA that became staples of Mario since. Some of the characters, the ability to pick up and toss things either to get up on stuff or to take out other targets. Also the very beautiful cartoon like visuals(which for Mario himself made SMB3 look like a beedy eyed downgrade) and the fun audio too, plus being a dream as it was a unique game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    All I can say is that more of the best is never a bad thing. More of the generic is what is bad.
    NSMB DS felt pretty generic to me. One of the good things about the Mario series has been that each game has its own identity. NSMB doesn't; it feels like a stock Mario game.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Since New Super Mario Bros. 2 is all about running through levels and trying to get as many coins as you can, I took 2 rolls of Sacagawea/Presidential/Susan B Anthony (they usually come mixed together from banks) dollar coins to Gamestop and used 44 of them to buy the game. At least I saved the cashier some trouble by saving my Eisenhower dollars for Target to buy some blank DVDs and a coffee.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]