Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If The School Shooting Today Is Blamed or Linked To FPS Games.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The NRA has zero credibility at this point.

Is anyone arguing for banning all guns? Most people just want them to be regulated. Since you bring up cars, you know, cars are pretty heavily regulated. Your car has to be registered and you have to pay to re-register it every year, and have a smog inspection every two years. If you privately sell your car to another person, you have to transfer the title over with the state. You're required to have liability insurance in case of an accident. To drive (on public roads), you must get a license, which requires passing both a written and a physical test.

No one seems to think we're on the verge of banning cars, so why can't we discuss similar regulations for guns without people screaming about guns being banned?
    Cars also have multiple uses/purposes. Guns exist to do one thing - inflict massive damage. The whole guns/cars thing, which I've heard many times before, would only be a viable comparison if we lived in some bizzaro world where we transported ourselves by some other means and used cars only as battering rams or to run over living things and kill them.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

"This kid played Call of Duty. You know what, every mudder fugger plays Call of Duty!!!!" -- Penn Jillette on XM radio yesterday. He also compared it to Rock and Roll being the devil's music crap from 50 years ago.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    Because it's really necessary for a civilian to own an M16...
    http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AuLgwTQ...and-addresses/
    DO you NOT see the big picture?
    It really has nothing to do about what kind of gun you own. This country's citezens are slowly losing their rights as americans and it is going to be justified as "the better cause".

Imagine your name and address going in the newspaper like a pedo because you own a handgun? It's allready begun in the last week.

For the record I am not an NRA member, or a "Talking head" as some have mentioned.
    Stop being such sheeple and look at the big picture.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Embalming Your Nipples View Post
    http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AuLgwTQ...and-addresses/
    DO you NOT see the big picture?
    It really has nothing to do about what kind of gun you own. This country's citezens are slowly losing their rights as americans and it is going to be justified as "the better cause".

Imagine your name and address going in the newspaper like a pedo because you own a handgun? It's allready begun in the last week.

For the record I am not an NRA member, or a "Talking head" as some have mentioned.
    Stop being such sheeple and look at the big picture.
    Using the word "sheeple" is a great way to immediately discredit any argument.

If people want everyone to own a gun, what's so bad about this? You realize that anyone can find where you live if they know your name, right? It's not like the people on these lists would have anything to fear. What are the people against handguns going to do, throw eggs at your house?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post

If people want everyone to own a gun, what's so bad about this? You realize that anyone can find where you live if they know your name, right? It's not like the people on these lists would have anything to fear. What are the people against handguns going to do, throw eggs at your house?
    You must be very young or at least very ignorant.

Would you post me your name and address right now please? I won't do anything to you I promise. Especially if I am a convicted felon and want to slip into your house and commit a murder with a gun registered in your name. But hey just for the hell of it, you have nothing to hid right? Post your name and address for all to see and tell them how you have a $500 hand gun.

Like I said, sheeple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Ladies and gentlemen, the flaming straw man.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Bringing out the gun argument after an event like this tends to bring out stuff like this. Everyone's a head coach on Monday morning.
    Last edited by Tupin; 12-24-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You must be very young or at least very ignorant.

Would you post me your name and address right now please? I won't do anything to you I promise. Especially if I am a convicted felon and want to slip into your house and commit a murder with a gun registered in your name. But hey just for the hell of it, you have nothing to hid right? Post your name and address for all to see and tell them how you have a $500 hand gun.

Like I said, sheeple.
    Bringing out the gun argument after an event like this tends to bring out stuff like this. Everyone's a head coach on Monday morning.
    Why would anyone KNOW your name to begin with if it wasn't posted in a NEWSPAPER?

Flaming strawman head coach indeed.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

This country's citezens are slowly losing their rights as americans and it is going to be justified as "the better cause".
    First Americans lose their right to own slaves and now this, when will it end?

Like I said, sheeple.
    But are sheeple delicious?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Embalming Your Nipples is right. You are sheeple.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The thing is, almost EVERY young person plays video games. So when a young person does a shooting, it's very easy for the media to say, "Hey, that guy played video games." Every shooter is also someone who watches TV, eats sandwiches, and uses the bathroom, but it's the video games that people love to target.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well, this piece of trash sets his neighborhood on fire, shoots firemen and cops, etc., and he's far too old to have EVER played a video game.

http://news.yahoo.com/ambushed-ny-fi...015312529.html
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nobody is too old to have played a video game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Developer releases computer game called ‘Bullet to the Head of the NRA’

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/15/de...#ixzz2I6M5d000
    Serves the NRA right for throwing gamers under the bus!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi

I don't think any law, restrictive of guns or otherwise, will ever come out of all of these shootings. They could be a weekly occurrence and people would just discuss the same stuff ad nauseum with no intention of actually solving anything.

The NRA needed a scapegoat. Games are noticeable, popular, and unfamiliar to the top brass of the NRA. Of course they'd blame them.
    Last edited by Tupin; 01-15-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

People in America seems obsessed with their guns, why not banned semi automatic weapons? No civilian should own this kind of weapon! Just doesnt make any sense... I dont even know someone in my entourage that owns a gun whatsoever... I get it for people in rural areas and for hunting. But parents should definitely watch what their kids are playing and listening, if your 8 year old listens to lil wayne wich promotes gangsta life with hoes and weed, and play M rated games and movies, I guess it could mess them up a little bit!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

found this and thought i'd share... Btw adam can grow a mean beard!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was younger I used to play about with the level editor for Doom. First I made my house, but that was pretty small. Because the only other building I spent as much time in was my school I went on to make (something similar) to that. I shared the map with my friends (through the very satisfying medium of floppy disc!). I had no desire to shoot the place up. I just needed something that I knew the layout of.

I have a son now. Whilst he is far too young to be playing games I found myself chatting to another parent with older kids about my experiences with Doom. They were fairly horrified and said that they would panic if they saw their kids doing that. I think I would probably help Leo. I'm confident that, as a parent, I can raise my son to know that shooting up a school is probably not the best use of your time, no matter how shit things may be.

Do games desensitise people to real world violence and glamourise it? Maybe. I've always been interested in the way games are made. I looked for bugs in games to exploit them so that I could "win". There has always been a wall between what is going on on screen, and what is happening in the real world. However, I get that not everyone is the same way, which I suppose is why we have restricted sales to young folks with the rating system. Could people be influenced more by games (as they are interactive) than TV/Death Metal and whatnot? I'd suggest that simply playing games is not enough and that you have to look at the big picture - from what is going on in the family, to pressures put on people by society, to the availability of violent media and good old underlying mental health issues. Pointing at one factor and saying "that's it!" just doesn't wok for me. You're looking at kids who have grown up in an environment where "reality tv" makes idols of the rich and famous, advertising provokes inferitory to sell products, parents have or choose to spend less time with their kids etc etc etc.

The thing that I really don't get about the NRA's stance is this though - tighter gun control puts a bigger gap between the thought and the action. If I really want a shotgun, I will get a shotgun, but it is going to take a hell of a lot of effort. It's like someone said about Rosie and the fork. I am not saying that tighter gun control is the be all and end all. In central london knife crime is rife - why? Because it is easier to get a knife that a gun. It's harder to kill quite so many people quite so quickly with a knife though. The thing is - there are so many guns floating around the US already that restricting sales of new weapons probably won't put a dent in things. So how about this - restrict the sale of ammunition? Limit the amount that people can buy through some sort of registration policy (argh! Big Brother!). Make it bloody expensive. I don't know. Just something to put that extra break between the thought and the action.

/ ramble over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Adam Sessler is a moron. Here he was making good arguments and sounding way more intelligent than I had previously given him credit for, and then he has to ruin it by saying "don't call them games because they're not for kids, they're for adults". The way he said it, it sounded very much like he was making a broad generalization. I have two major problems with this:

1. It ignores the fact that quite a few games are made for children and/or a general audience every year and seems to imply that he thinks gaming should only be for adult males and no one else. The problem with this line of thinking should be painfully obvious to anyone with a brain.

2. Like it or not, Adam Sessler is a big name gaming journalist and when he makes statements like "games aren't for kids, they're for adults", it is extremely counter-productive and does massive damage to our efforts to convince people who don't know any better that video games are not "OMG EVIL!!!!!!!". I guarantee you that even if that's the only clip they run of that interview, Feaux News WILL rerun that statement ad-nauseum as long as it suits their purposes. He just gave proponents of censorship a GIANT piece of ammunition. Thanks a lot, Sessler. Jerk.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of these shootings in the U.S. have got nothing to do with video games, TV, or movies in my opinion. It's the ridiculous gun laws in the U.S. and everyone thinking they need a gun to protect themselves and their families that are the main reason for America's gun violence. Every other industrialized nation in the world plays and watches the same games, shows, and movies as the U.S. and gun violence in those countries is nowhere near that of the U.S. Only in America can you walk into a sporting goods store and walk out with an assault rifle and a pair of running shoes.