Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KWKBOX's Game Videos (was "Best unreleased game?")

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    That's false. The channels I watch put in work and you can tell. Anybody and their mother can film themselves playing and talking about a videogame. Lets play or long play it's the same damn thing. I suggest taking a look at Gaming Historians retrospective on Star Fox, to know how quality videos are made.

If I get stuck in a game without being able to progress then I'll just turn the sucker off and deem it not worth playing. It's real easy for me to lose interest nowadays. If a game requires a faq then it's not for me.

You could care less if people watch? Stop lying.
    Anybody can record but not everyone can record and capture the best game footage and actually have worthwhile things to say while playing a game. As for the Gaming Historian he is great if you want to fall asleep or remember the days of high school when you had a teacher so boring you would need caffeine to pay attention in class. If you are really looking for quality content try Game Sack they are actually entertaining and informative not some monotone video game librarian.

You must be from the generation that thinks trying is too hard and expect someone else to solve your problems if you quit playing a game because you lack the skill or intelligence to progress. You are missing out on a lot of great games and experiences with that mentality.

I do not do this for a living. This is a hobby so no I do not care in the least if I get 0 views. I do these videos for my own entertainment and if somebody else enjoys them great if not there is plenty of other content to dislike on YouTube instead.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KWKBOX View Post
    Because this is not the stone age where I tell a story and you imagine what a game looks like. I provide a video of game footage so people can better understand what I am talking about if they have never seen the game. Just because everyone else lacks visual aides does not mean it is the best way.
    So us ancient forumtards are lacking because we don't have a hd camera and don't constantly post lame-lazy videos to try and get ad revenue?

This is a retrogame forum, everybody here knows of Starfox 2 and what it looks like. Bring something new to the table.

Gaming Historians stuff is far from boring, it certainly blows anything you've done out of the water. Let's compare your Starfox 2 videos. I like how you're dissing other youtubers with better content than you. GameSack? Don't make me laugh. Joe is an egomaniac and the other guy couldn't read a script to save his life. Talk about falling asleep, it's like these guys read through every retro magazine and copy and paste reviews into their videos.
    Last edited by FieryReign; 08-01-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So us ancient forumtards are lacking because we don't have a hd camera and don't constantly post lame-lazy videos to try and get ad revenue?

This is a retrogame forum, everybody here knows of Starfox 2 and what it looks like. Bring something new to the table.
    I would not label everyone on the forum as ignorant as yourself but you never know what is out there. It really is just a preference as I said to supply more than just words to support a topic.

If Star Fox 2 is not obscure enough how about this one?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would not label everyone on the forum as ignorant as yourself but you never know what is out there. It really is just a preference as I said to supply more than just words to support a topic.

If Star Fox 2 is not obscure enough how about this one?

Dude, I don't give a fuck about lets plays or how obscure your game is. Do something with it. Anything but simply recording footage of a game, talking, and calling it a day.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dude, I don't give a fuck about lets plays or how obscure your game is. Do something with it. Anything but simply recording footage of a game, talking, and calling it a day.
    See that is what your problem is. You do not know what you want. You complain you want a more obscure game and I give you one. You then want me to do "something" with a game but not play it, talk about it, or show footage of it. I guess that is why you only troll about on forums because heaven forbid you see a picture or video related to a video game you might just lose it. You are a unfortunate soul that must be a glutton for punishment if you are on a gaming forum and do not want to see or talk about games.

How about this then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The problem is droning on about stuff as you're kind of doing a Let's Play going by what you said earlier. I hate those things. I don't care about some monotone discussion or pithy garbage being prattled on about so if I get into the stuff I'll go into the Long Play where it's just the game with a nice tall cool glass of STFU by the player. As far as production value goes, none of them as far as I'm concerned with retro gaming have much at all. Sure someone figured out how to use dreamweaver nicer than the next dude, whoopdeedoo. My idea of some nice production values where the effort shows, go watch the growth within the 3 seasons of the Epic Rap Battles of History as that's crazy how far they've come. Sure it's not gaming, well they did do the Wright Bros versus the Super Mario Bros, but that's about it.

Seeing games is fine, talking about them is fine too, but I think he doesn't want to hear someone rattling on about overly discussed junk in a video any clown could have done who had a boring afternoon. Do some research, get some obscure if not new information no one else has presented, throw that up into a digestible format and you'll find a lot less bitching about more of the same.

Homebrew videos aren't that interesting either, at least to most. Few know those things exist, but there are so few and far between that don't just blow and don't even have the quality to pass as a LJN atrocity of the 1980s NES. Usually a fair many of them much like the released prototypes tend to get a mass market version but initially are done as limited numbered runs to pound peoples wallets up front if not worse on the after market.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign
    GameSack? Don't make me laugh. Joe is an egomaniac and the other guy couldn't read a script to save his life. Talk about falling asleep, it's like these guys read through every retro magazine and copy and paste reviews into their videos.
    I really enjoy Game Sack. I literally chuckle a little every time they say "...just like in real life".

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The problem is droning on about stuff as you're kind of doing a Let's Play going by what you said earlier. I hate those things. I don't care about some monotone discussion or pithy garbage being prattled on about so if I get into the stuff I'll go into the Long Play where it's just the game with a nice tall cool glass of STFU by the player. As far as production value goes, none of them as far as I'm concerned with retro gaming have much at all. Sure someone figured out how to use dreamweaver nicer than the next dude, whoopdeedoo. My idea of some nice production values where the effort shows, go watch the growth within the 3 seasons of the Epic Rap Battles of History as that's crazy how far they've come. Sure it's not gaming, well they did do the Wright Bros versus the Super Mario Bros, but that's about it.

Seeing games is fine, talking about them is fine too, but I think he doesn't want to hear someone rattling on about overly discussed junk in a video any clown could have done who had a boring afternoon. Do some research, get some obscure if not new information no one else has presented, throw that up into a digestible format and you'll find a lot less bitching about more of the same.

Homebrew videos aren't that interesting either, at least to most. Few know those things exist, but there are so few and far between that don't just blow and don't even have the quality to pass as a LJN atrocity of the 1980s NES. Usually a fair many of them much like the released prototypes tend to get a mass market version but initially are done as limited numbered runs to pound peoples wallets up front if not worse on the after market.
    You make a lot of valid points. I agree and for most titles I research and share any information I found interesting or did not know about a game and share it in my videos. Since I am an average gamer I figure many other average gamers may not have known about what I learned.

As for homebrews I only make videos of ones that are well above LJN quality and actually stand out.

I know you do not watch any videos posted but if you did see them you would understand I am not just your typical flap jack screaming nonsense when playing a game. I am working on a good balance of gameplay and informative banter and until I perfect it I will just have to keep working on it. I personally find no commentary boring for most games especially ones I want to learn tips and tricks on. I do still watch longplays but not as much due to that fact.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I really enjoy Game Sack. I literally chuckle a little every time they say "...just like in real life".
    I agree too bad the other bozo does not understand humor and rather listen to the gaming librarian.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

The thing about so many videos is that the research is all coming from the same sources. Most of Game Sack's info comes straight from Wikipedia. Joe has said exactly that himself. There is very little going on in the way of finding old games that haven't been done to death, exploring little-discussed modes, or finding research info from different perspectives like old regional magazines or fanzines. Not only that, but the same kind of hyperbole tends to be used to laud or damn games in order to create sensationalized entertainment instead of honest perspective.

That said, I like Game Sack. I can't say I've learned anything, but I find it to be a fun retrospective. The only other channel I really like is Happy Console Gamer, as it is less of a review show and more of a reminiscence, and feels like a conversation with a friend about old times. It's not so much informative as it is comfort food, but I like it for what feels like honesty.

What I do agree with FieryReign about is that there is merit to using language to describe and discuss games. Good communication skills do more to relate perspective and create provocative imagery than the blunt force of footage. Footage is great and all, but it is not a replacement for creative communication. They should go hand in hand.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

so the best un released game is mega man legends 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4: Summer Memories

...but holy shit, system seller for me.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 08-02-2015 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

KWK I watched part of two you did -- starfox up until the meteor stage with the walkers, and then one of those DOOM videos for just a little bit of it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    The thing about so many videos is that the research is all coming from the same sources. Most of Game Sack's info comes straight from Wikipedia. Joe has said exactly that himself. There is very little going on in the way of finding old games that haven't been done to death, exploring little-discussed modes, or finding research info from different perspectives like old regional magazines or fanzines. Not only that, but the same kind of hyperbole tends to be used to laud or damn games in order to create sensationalized entertainment instead of honest perspective.

That said, I like Game Sack. I can't say I've learned anything, but I find it to be a fun retrospective. The only other channel I really like is Happy Console Gamer, as it is less of a review show and more of a reminiscence, and feels like a conversation with a friend about old times. It's not so much informative as it is comfort food, but I like it for what feels like honesty..
    I actually learned a few things watching Game Sack. I didn't know much of anything about the PC-FX, and I've never really seen many CD-i games before. I also don't know much about import games and have learned a bit about some games that never made it here. I've been a gamer for a long time, but I've never been one to research much outside of the basics that relate to my actual gaming experiences.

For me, the sweet spot for gaming shows is a combination of personality and interesting information. It's why I really love Game Sack, Turbo Views and Lazy Game Reviews (non-Sims stuff anyway). I learn stuff, and I really enjoy their delivery and production. There's humor and quirk but almost zero profanity or angst.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    KWK I watched part of two you did -- starfox up until the meteor stage with the walkers, and then one of those DOOM videos for just a little bit of it.
    Hey thanks. My favorite DOOM is the 3DO video because around 5 minutes I feature a video where Kyle starts throwing up from motion sickness. Any feedback is welcome from your experience. Thanks for watching.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I actually learned a few things watching Game Sack. I didn't know much of anything about the PC-FX, and I've never really seen many CD-i games before. I also don't know much about import games and have learned a bit about some games that never made it here. I've been a gamer for a long time, but I've never been one to research much outside of the basics that relate to my actual gaming experiences.

For me, the sweet spot for gaming shows is a combination of personality and interesting information. It's why I really love Game Sack, Turbo Views and Lazy Game Reviews (non-Sims stuff anyway). I learn stuff, and I really enjoy their delivery and production. There's humor and quirk but almost zero profanity or angst.
    Yeah, the angsty stuff is annoying.

I haven't done a ton of research, but I was fortunate enough to grow up around what used to be a ton of great game stores. Until the best, last one shut down a couple of years ago, I never really had to buy online, even for imports. Like my PC-FX, I ran across it at that last awesome store several years ago, and I wasn't familiar with it, but he had a boxed one with a spare controller and Battle Heat and Team Innocent. He hooked it up for me to try, and I bought the whole lot. Just a fortunate experience that taught me something new. I miss that place.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I appreciate the same type of content for the same reasons. Anything that has constant angst and profanity that is not family friendly is what drives me away from channels now that I have a family. I do not need to be watching that garbage when my kid walks in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Because this is not the stone age where I tell a story and you imagine what a game looks like. I provide a video of game footage so people can better understand what I am talking about if they have never seen the game.
    So, the "stone age" is, what, 2005 now? Most people manage just fine with ordinary words.

You must be from the generation that thinks trying is too hard and expect someone else to solve your problems
    Hmm.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree too bad the other bozo does not understand humor and rather listen to the gaming librarian.
    Bozo, huh? Sorry, "the gaming librarian" actually puts work and effort into his content and it shows. He doesn't just plop a camera in front of 2 fat, uninteresting slobs and hit record. While talking a whole bunch of nothing. He also doesn't spam up multiple forums with every video he does, he gained viewers and subcribers legitimately. Don't know why you wanna riff on him, I just gave an example, and could give dozens more. If I want humor, I'll watch something that's meant to be humorous. Certainly not 2 dudebros playing a game and jibber jabbering. Go ahead and continue to be the spammeister of lame let's play videos. You're only putting people off with your tactics, and gaining no more views.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bozo, huh? Sorry, "the gaming librarian" actually puts work and effort into his content and it shows. He doesn't just plop a camera in front of 2 fat, uninteresting slobs and hit record. While talking a whole bunch of nothing. He also doesn't spam up multiple forums with every video he does, he gained viewers and subcribers legitimately. Don't know why you wanna riff on him, I just gave an example, and could give dozens more. If I want humor, I'll watch something that's meant to be humorous. Certainly not 2 dudebros playing a game and jibber jabbering. Go ahead and continue to be the spammeister of lame let's play videos. You're only putting people off with your tactics, and gaining no more views.
    You are a fool to think it is easy. You have no clue how much is involved in putting out content. If you want to know what is easy it is criticizing other people on a forum without any clue of what you are talking about. If people want your advice they will ask for it so stop volunteering.