Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles collection and discussion thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles collection and discussion thread

In honor of the TMNT movie that opened this weekend, let's share our TMNT collections. Here's what I've got:

NES:
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters

I think I've only passed the water level in the first TMNT about twice in my life. It's still a pain in the ass. I have countless memories of TMNT II, as it was in my original NES collection (I even remember going to Pizza Hut to redeem the coupon for the free personal pan pizza!). I spent a LOT of time playing it with my younger brothers and cousin. I recently played it with a friend via Dreamcast emulation. Unfortunately, the game froze after the parking garage level. I'd like to get III someday, and while I wouldn't pass up a cheap copy of Tournament Fighters, it's not a game I absolutely have to own.

UPDATE (9/16/08)
    : I found Tournament Fighters on the cheap last September - $1.99 at Goodwill. It's not bad, but it does make me wonder if anybody could have pulled off a better fighting game on the NES. I prefer to play it with friends. A few months before that, I got TMNT III for $1.99 at the same Goodwill. It's a great game, but II is still my favorite among the NES titles.

Genesis:
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist

I hunted this down for the Genesis for a while - for some reason I couldn't find a copy under $10. Finally, I spotted a complete copy at a CD/Game Exchange for $5. Genesis owners got a TMNT game that may not have been superior to the SNES port of TMNT IV, but retained the fun of the TMNT games of this era. Highly recommended.

SNES:
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time

Turtles In Time is my personal favorite TMNT game of all time. If you only get one TMNT game, make it that. I couldn't get into Tournament Fighters and never got too far into it, but I thought the concept was cool.

Gamecube:

I played a demo and decided I'd get this after a few price drops. One day, I spotted a copy on clearance at Target for $9.98. It's a decent game (and better than the other two on the last-gen systems), but I'm glad I didn't pay more than $10.

Game Boy:
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of The Foot Clan
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The Sewers

Decent but short game. The minigames weren't bad either. I'd like to get the other two games on the system.

UPDATE (9/16/08): I bought Kamino's copy of Back From The Sewers last year. It's a nice step up from Fall of the Foot Clan.

GBA:

I got this for around $4 on clearance at Circuit City. Despite not making a return to the pure beat-em-ups of the 8 and 16-bit eras, it's a solid (yet somewhat short) game. It's worth a look on the cheap. After reading the surprisingly good reviews on the newest game, I've decided that I'd probably check it out on the cheap.

Grand Total: 11 (4 NES, 2 SNES, 2 GB, 1 Genesis, 1 Gamecube, 1 GBA)
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 09-16-2008 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Updated the list, added totals, and wrote about the NES and Game Boy games I've acquired since I originally made this post.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just picked up the new TMNT for the 360 . its ok , more less a kids game . its only one player though , would of been better if it was 4 player .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the NES:

For the SNES:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

I remember playing these about a bazillion times when I was younger. The cartoon and movies were huge when I was a kid, and I had quite a collection of the action figures and comics as well. And I'm not gonna lie, to this day, I still want a Technodrome!

p.s. how many people remember when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles first came out as an graphic novel? It was very serious and dark and gritty, nothing like the carefree and fun cartoon that was eventually displayed.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

NES
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3

The third installment was by far the best. The first was too frustrating (damn water level) and the second was a shoddy port at best. Despite some extreme slowdown in the surfing levels, TMNT 3 was incredibly fun, with great control and unique moves.

SNES
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4

TMNT4 could be better known as "The game I played all throughout junior high". I played that game like mad, and loved every minute of it, even though I could point out each and every difference between it and the arcade game. Quite possibly the best Turtles game ever.

Gameboy
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Back from the Sewers
    Back from the sewers had better graphics, bigger bosses, more levels and a skateboard sequence. So why is it that I enjoy Fall of the Foot Clan more? No clue, though perhaps because it was one of the first Gameboy games I ever bought might have something to do with it.

Gamecube

Ugh. The core idea was good, take the traditional beat-em-up style and translate it into 3-D, but in excecution it was terrible. There's a reason good players could clear Turtles in Time in under half an hour... beat-em-ups can get old QUICKLY.

GBA
    The handheld version was better, but it was still kinda bland.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    NES:

I think I've only passed the water level in the first TMNT about twice in my life. It's still a pain in the ass.
    That game doesn't get any easier. Level 3 is basically a maze of buildings. The level after that is in a sewer filled with precision jumps. If you mess up at all, your turtle falls into the water and you get sent back half the stage. As for the last two levels, which includes the Technodrome, even the "common" enemies are extremely strong. If you use anyone less than Donatello, it takes several hits to stop them and that is if they don't wipe out half of your life bar first. Even when you make it through there, Shredder is capable of "killing" your characters with one hit which doesn't even allow you to switch characters. He uses a gun which shrinks the turtles back into the size of house pets. Then again, I think it was the same way when you faced him in TMNT II but at least you had extra lives with one turtle and the next one would materialize right there on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    Gameboy
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Back from the Sewers
    Back from the sewers had better graphics, bigger bosses, more levels and a skateboard sequence. So why is it that I enjoy Fall of the Foot Clan more? No clue, though perhaps because it was one of the first Gameboy games I ever bought might have something to do with it.
    I think it was because they kept the gameplay fairly simple. Fall of the Foot Clan was extremely easy to pick up and play. All you had to do was just move forward, jump and attack. No puzzles to solve (other than bonus games), no items to find or tasks to complete. Just good ol' fun. It was just challenging enough that the game wasn't a complete cakewalk but it was also something you could play through in less than an hour. I also liked the music. As for it being short, all of the early Gameboy games were. That includes the versions of Gradius, Castlevania and Super Mario Land. But everyone here already knew that anyway.
    Last edited by bangtango; 03-25-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

TMNT II: Back From The Sewers for the original GB had some of the best graphics and sound I've ever seen on the system. I suppose as a trade-off it actually had fairly simple gameplay, but on the whole it is quite splendid.

I almost ended up with TMNT III: Radical Rescue (which apparently has free-scrolling Metroid-style gameplay); instead I got Wario Blast. I'd still like to try it sometime.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

We had Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles in Europe, mainly UK and Germany. Appearently 'Ninja' was too violent for little UK and DE kids, so they were turned into Heroes (still killing things mind you)

Also for C-64, Amiga, Atari ST.

Never played the games though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got:

NES:

TMNT
    TMNT II: The Arcade Game
    TMNT III: The Manhattan Project

GB:

TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan
    TMNT II: Back From the Sewers
    TMNT III: Radical Rescue

SNES: TMNT IV: Turtles in Time

GEN: TMNT Tournament Fighters

For you guys speculationg on TMNT III for the NES, get it! It is amazing, and follows the gameplay style of the arcade TMNT titles, and adds an extra move here and there. TMNT III for the GB is pretty good. It is a Metroid inspired adventure game, but some of the boss fights are stupid hard. I never beat that game because the final showdown was a huge boss rush, and by the time I got to Shredder, I was spent...

Tournament Fighters for the Genesis is utter garbage. I need to pick up the SNES copy sometime soon. I also desperately need Hypersone Heist for the Genesis. I played that one back on Sega channel, and I loved it. I never seem to come across this one in the wild.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I have all three for the NES and TMNT IV for the SNES. All the other posts have already stated my thoughts. TMNT IV = greatness (Still play this even today), TMNT 2 and 3 also equally damn fun. It was nice to hear them squeeze out some decent voice samples on TMNT 3. I will always have a special hatred for TMNT on the NES though. Countless times I could never beat it, died in the infamous sewers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    p.s. how many people remember when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles first came out as an graphic novel? It was very serious and dark and gritty, nothing like the carefree and fun cartoon that was eventually displayed.[/I]
    I do! I actually still have the comic versions of them. Damn, they sure did go through a make-over (not for the better though)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome to see so much love for the Turtles.

LOVED this stuff as a kid, and I'm still fond of it.

I've been on the hunt for a TMNT 1 Arcade cab for a while now, for now I settle for Mame and 4 USB adapted PSX controllers on the projector screen and surround sound at work (with friends, of course)

I think I prefer the arcade version of Turtles in Time. The extra animations and details really made the game more enjoyable for me, despite the SNES extras. I do remember getting this game as a kid, first game for my SNES, and being happy to even get it at home though (ah, the days of pre-emulation)

I remember the graphic novels too, the ones I got had all the blood censored white, lame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still remember playing the utterly frustrating TMNT 1 on the NES with my best friend in 4th grade (I think). Great times. Eating way too many popsicles and junk food and trying, trying, trying to beat that damn game.

Also, must say that TMNT: Tournament Fighters is a highly underrated game for the SNES. Great control and overall game.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arasoi View Post
    Awesome to see so much love for the Turtles.

LOVED this stuff as a kid, and I'm still fond of it.

I've been on the hunt for a TMNT 1 Arcade cab for a while now, for now I settle for Mame and 4 USB adapted PSX controllers on the projector screen and surround sound at work (with friends, of course)

I think I prefer the arcade version of Turtles in Time. The extra animations and details really made the game more enjoyable for me, despite the SNES extras. I do remember getting this game as a kid, first game for my SNES, and being happy to even get it at home though (ah, the days of pre-emulation)

I remember the graphic novels too, the ones I got had all the blood censored white, lame.
    One of the graphic novels I vaguely remember has a scene which was later copied by the first movie. It was the scene of either Donatello or Michaelangelo working on a truck with Casey Jones and they were calling each other names starting from A through Z.

I also remember a different graphic novel where these triceratops that walk on two legs were one of the adversaries for the turtles.

Opinions on the original cartoon are mixed and probably become more negative as time passes. I guess the main thing I remember about the cartoon is that oftentimes Shredder was as big of an oaf as Bebop and Rocksteady. He was one of the more bumbling villains you'll see in a cartoon but honestly that was a trend for a lot of cartoons during that era. The Shredder certainly wasn't menacing in those episodes of the cartoon and had some corny dialogue.

From one episode while planning an attack on the Turtles during lunch:

"The future leader of the world reduced to eating takeout chinese food" or something like that.
    Last edited by bangtango; 03-25-2007 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    One of the graphic novels I vaguely remember has a scene which was later copied by the first movie. It was the scene of either Donatello or Michaelangelo working on a truck with Casey Jones and they were calling each other names starting from A through Z.

I also remember a different graphic novel where these triceratops that walk on two legs were one of the adversaries for the turtles.
    Haha, the Triceratons. I remember those now. I think those were aliens, not mutants oddly.

About Shredder, he is ironically killed in like, the first story arc in the comics.. I think he comes back later though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, the Triceratons. I remember those now. I think those were aliens, not mutants oddly.

About Shredder, he is ironically killed in like, the first story arc in the comics.. I think he comes back later though.
    Yeah, but it was a really big "ressurection" deal and he's all undead.

Shredder was the Turtles first and most important villain in the comics, but it was a weird comic, and it had no problem killing him off right away. The idea of Shredder as a main recurring villain is definitely thanks to the influence of the cartoon.

By the way, re: the main topic: Every game collector needs at least Konami's TMNT I-IV.... True gaming classics in their own right, aside from the fact that they feature our green heroes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a compilation that I got a while ago that had the first story arc in them, and the entire compilation was in black and white. Not sure if the comics were like that, as I've never seen them.

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post

Opinions on the original cartoon are mixed and probably become more negative as time passes. I guess the main thing I remember about the cartoon is that oftentimes Shredder was as big of an oaf as Bebop and Rocksteady. He was one of the more bumbling villains you'll see in a cartoon but honestly that was a trend for a lot of cartoons during that era. The Shredder certainly wasn't menacing in those episodes of the cartoon and had some corny dialogue.

From one episode while planning an attack on the Turtles during lunch:

"The future leader of the world reduced to eating takeout chinese food" or something like that.
    That must be a different story arc from the one I have, as that one is centered around Shredder being the main villain. I didn't know that there was more than one story arc until it was discussed in this thread, so I might have to see if I can track those down. I agree that Shredder should have been more of a bad ass as he was meant to be, but seeing as to how the cartoon was kid related, I can see how they made him what they did.

Back on point: How does TMNT Tournament Fighters play? I saw one for sale the other day, but didn't pick it up as I'd heard nothing about it. Is it good or a wasted buy?

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd sure like to play the arcade version of "Turtles in Time"...I've never actually seen it in any arcade I ever went to.

What are the SNES "extras"?

All the TMNT games I own are:

TMNT 2: The arcade game
    Turtles in Time

But i'm seriously considering getting the new TMNT game for GBA, it sounds might nice.

I also have two Turtle figures: "old" style Don and the "new" cartoon style Don. Probably need to add a new movie style Don to that mini collection.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES Turtles in Time had a few extra levels, and bosses.

(experts, correct me if I'm wrong here, or fill in the blanks)

Technodrome Level

Rat King boss in Sewer Surfin' (in the arcade, Shredder just appeared in this level and dumped you in the time warp, IE no technodrome level)

Slash instead of Cement Man boss in Prehistoric Turtlesaurus

Bebop and Rocksteady instead of Tokka and Razar on Skull and Crossbones

Super Shredder boss, Shredder in the Machine boss, Toka and Razar bosses moved to Technodrome stage

Level 7 is changed from side scrolling to another type of viewpoint in SNES

The arcade has more fluid animation (more frames, etc, more differentiation between the turtles) and the scaling when you throw foot soldiers at the screen is superior to that mode 7 scaling the SNES did to accomplish it. The arcade also had a few added voice samples, and whatnot. If they had done the SNES game on a bigger cartridge, it could have most of this too and be the better version in all aspects, but oh well.

I also believe there was a different move in either the SNES or Arcade version that the other didnt have.. and that Raphael had a slightly different special move than the other turtles.
    Last edited by Arasoi; 03-25-2007 at 03:10 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO everything is better in the SNES version... it's just missing a lot of animation compared to arcade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    That must be a different story arc from the one I have, as that one is centered around Shredder being the main villain. I didn't know that there was more than one story arc until it was discussed in this thread, so I might have to see if I can track those down. I agree that Shredder should have been more of a bad ass as he was meant to be, but seeing as to how the cartoon was kid related, I can see how they made him what they did.

Back on point: How does TMNT Tournament Fighters play? I saw one for sale the other day, but didn't pick it up as I'd heard nothing about it. Is it good or a wasted buy?
    What version of Tournament Fighters? There were three and they each have different characters and slightly different storylines. Most people think the Super NES one is "good" and the best of the three that were released (SNES, Genesis and NES). So it'd be a safe purchase.

The NES one plays like an early Gameboy or Game Gear fighting game, with only two buttons to choose from and 8-bit graphics.

There is nothing wrong with Tournament Fighters on the Genesis, perse. Most people here say it is horrible. The thing is that they pad the number of characters by using palette swaps to create "evil clones" of the Turtles and other characters. When I played it, I remember it only used 3-buttons even though the Genesis 6-button controller had been released by then. That and there are no real combos which you can do. Still, it is a little darker than the other two versions which means it is more faithful to what you might see in the comics. I played it and I'd probably buy it if I saw it. In the grand scheme of things, though, it was just another Turtles game for the Genesis that failed to measure up to the Super NES version.

Oh, as for the story arc thing that you quoted from my earlier post.......

The graphic novels I had would have originated in the late 80's or early 90's. A parent bought them for me a long time ago but I no longer have them. It was a series of at least 4 books and I had all 4, or at least the first 4 (if there were additional ones released). From what I remember, Shredder was in those so I don't think it was a different story arc. It just happened that one of the stories centered on the turtles fighting these dinosaur like creatures from outer space and that is the one I remember the best. Partially because it was one of the more violent "stories."

I don't know the origins of those books I had but some other people here seem to have owned them, too. I tend to think they are just a compilation of stories that appeared in the comics or some place else and were all gathered into a collection/series. Maybe I'm wrong here but I don't think those were all-new material. Somebody else who still owns them or knows the Turtles franchise may want to clear it up, though. I'm 27 and haven't read those for around 15 years, give or take. So my memory is foggy at best about those and they are too high priced on Ebay for me to ever own again.
    Last edited by bangtango; 03-25-2007 at 04:07 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there were a few different graphic novels, but yeah what you probably had was reprints, most likely. Started as a regular size comic (well sort of; magazine sized). The first issue is a prized item and tough to find in really nice shape - has sold for thousands in nice condition. I used to have a couple copies but ended up selling them, although for a profit at least.

All TMNT collectors should be interested to know the original art for the first comic book (which is the where the turtles were originally created) just sold for a quarter mil:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7814&rd=1&rd=1

You might ask, was it a legit auction since its a zero feedback seller? It was - Eastman's representative confirmed it. The purchaser is quite literally the son of a billionaire..
    Last edited by Bronty-2; 03-25-2007 at 07:08 PM.