Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DS Flash Carts---A new thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooby105 View Post
    Thanks, I placed an order with them today. In the comments box at checkout, I asked if they could send me the Japanese card since the Taiwanese one has issues.

Just got a reply back and they said all they had left were Taiwanese cards, and they ended up canceling my order.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Got my M3DS Simply and as much as they say "no drivers required" and "plug and play" and all that stuff, that's not true. There's a bunch of stuff I had to load onto the Micro SD first, and the MicroSD reader that came with the unit was not compatible with my machine (transfers kept halting). Also, the instructions are a bit Engrishy and sometimes confusing, but mostly spot-on. Figuring out what files to load onto the unit was a bit of a pain in the ass due to the instruction's shitty English.

But anyway, once I did that, all games are drag and drop. Thing works great! my 1GB SD Micro hold 30 something games, btw.

-Rob
    Last edited by rbudrick; 03-06-2007 at 01:15 PM.
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

The M3 Lite wont fit in my Micro. Is anybody here already using anything for their micro & DS?
    EDIT: Anybody know if the EFA Linker II fits FLUSH in the GB Micro?
    Last edited by DeputyMoniker; 03-07-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never used a Micro, but regular GBA games fit flush in them right? Well, the EFA Linker II is exactly the same size as a regular GBA game. The EFA Linker is a real nice card for GBA stuff, but I don't think you'll find any DS compatibility at all as far as commercial games go.

If your plan is to get separate cards for DS and GBA, though, I think the EFA Linker 2 and whichever slot-1 DS card you think looks best would be a great option. Compatibility will be better right off the bat than with an M3 Perfect and will only get better over time if the M3 Team do stop supporting their slot-2 devices or at least slow down support for them. It's also probably a cheaper option to be honest, especially once you figure the cost of a nopass device in.

...word is bondage...
    Last edited by Sweater Fish Deluxe; 03-07-2007 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Well I just ordered one of the $31 jobbies - we shall see?

Chasing the chuckwagon. schnuth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Same here, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Should be fun to play around with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I just got a conformation email from dealextreme today saying my R4 shipped out. Even provided a tracking number too. Says it should be here in 10-14 days, so everything looks legit.

For anyone looking for a cheap microSD card to use with the R4, Buy.com actually has one that's free after rebate + $10 Google Checkout sign-up bonus (actually, you *make* $7 after rebate). And even if the rebate doesn't go thru, it's still only $10 shipped:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...826912&loc=101

Someone on CAG says they used this card with the M3 Simply and didn't have any problems with it, so it should work fine with the R4.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Ordered the R4 as well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got my R4. The touchscreen doesn't seem to work with any of the games I have tried. Castlevania POR is unstartable without the touchscreen. Anyone have any ideas?

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got the G6Flash G6 4GBit Lite with the Passcard 3. Anybody heard anything about these? Should be here next week so I'll report back then.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow my eyes are glazing over. This is all Greek to me. Can someone answer a couple of simple questions for me?
    1. Do any of the slot 2 carts work in a Micro? If yes, should I even bother since I have a DS and DSL?
    2. What sort of Roms work in these carts? Would I be able to use NGC roms? Genesis?
    3. How do I choose which game on the cart to play? Is there a menu?
    4. Do I need any technical knowledge or is it simple drag and drop?

thanks

RC

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
    Wow my eyes are glazing over. This is all Greek to me. Can someone answer a couple of simple questions for me?
    1. Do any of the slot 2 carts work in a Micro? If yes, should I even bother since I have a DS and DSL?
    2. What sort of Roms work in these carts? Would I be able to use NGC roms? Genesis?
    3. How do I choose which game on the cart to play? Is there a menu?
    4. Do I need any technical knowledge or is it simple drag and drop?

thanks

RC
    Major tech knowledge required. The cards come with and play every rom ever made for every system, since the GBA is that good. There is a menu, but it is only written in Hindi.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=rbudrick;1147183]Major tech knowledge required. The cards come with and play every rom ever made for every system, since the GBA is that good. There is a menu, but it is only written in Hindi.

Thanks for the help

RC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People's eyes always seem to glaze over when it comes to these backup carts. It's because there's so many choices and no single perfect card. Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages, so no matter which device you get, you'll be missing out on something. This is a common problem with modern consumer markets--walked down the cereal aisle of a grocery store lately?

You could spend forever trying to figure out which card suits your needs most, but I agree with what shadowkn55 said up above: Just buy something and be done with it. If you buy *ANY* of the backup devices mentioned in this topic or reviewed at gbatemp, I think you'll be happy with it. Just don't expect perfection. Out of any of them. These devices offer so many great features, though, that they don't have to be perfect to be really cool.

I don't think these flash devices really require anything more than the sort of basic computer competency that everyone here certainly has, but the more tech savvy you are, the more you'll be able to do with the cart and so the more you'll enjoy it.

...word is bondage...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    People's eyes always seem to glaze over when it comes to these backup carts. It's because there's so many choices and no single perfect card. Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages, so no matter which device you get, you'll be missing out on something. This is a common problem with modern consumer markets--walked down the cereal aisle of a grocery store lately?

You could spend forever trying to figure out which card suits your needs most, but I agree with what shadowkn55 said up above: Just buy something and be done with it. If you buy *ANY* of the backup devices mentioned in this topic or reviewed at gbatemp, I think you'll be happy with it. Just don't expect perfection. Out of any of them. These devices offer so many great features, though, that they don't have to be perfect to be really cool.

I don't think these flash devices really require anything more than the sort of basic computer competency that everyone here certainly has, but the more tech savvy you are, the more you'll be able to do with the cart and so the more you'll enjoy it.

...word is bondage...
    Thank you for the reply.

Datel/CodeJunkies has a fairly commercial product. How does this stack up against some of the ones mentioned here? I'm looking for user-friendly to start with this. My wants are pretty basic for now.

RC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
    Datel/CodeJunkies has a fairly commercial product. How does this stack up against some of the ones mentioned here?
    This thing doesn't actually play DS games, does it?!? I saw this in a few stores but didn't give it a second look. Thought it was just another one of those cheap video + music thingys that you always see for handhelds.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I don't think it even plays homebrew, let alone commercial games. I don't think it can even play much past mp3s and bmps or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Games'n'Music card can play homebrews, but no it won't play commerical games. At least not out of the box. I'm sort of surprised that Datel hasn't released a loader for it that will load commercial ROMs yet, that's the type of thing they usually do. They'll release it on the Internet in a way that can't be traced back to themselves.

However, more damning for the Games'n'Music card is that the GUI is supposedly horrendously clunky and slow.

Besides, the thing's not any cheaper than an R4 on sale at DealExtreme, is it? The R4's defninitely better than the Games'n'Music card.

...word is bondage...

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the G6 Lite arrived today, and from it was a breeze to set up. I've had no experience with flash carts in the past, but everything went smoothly after about 1/2 hour of tinkering with it. It's played the few games I thrown at it so far, and comes with a wide range of other apps as well (musicplayer, emulators, pda functions, ect). One nice function is that is that it uses the touchscreen for everything

Contents included the flash cart itself, which is designed to be flush with the DS Lite, and comes with 5 cases altogether (4 for the different color DS Lites and one for a DS Fatty). It also contained the a USB adatper and a CD (which is pretty much useless since newer updates are available via web). It was a little high on the price scale (~$100 w/ passcard, if you're on a cheaper budget you should look into the M3 Simply's some were talking about in this thread. I would recommend this one for flast cart novices like myself, unless that is someone has a better one.

+1 G6Lite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got my R4 in the mail today and it's pretty awesome. Was pretty easy to get DS games running...just dragged a single file onto the root of the microSD card and it was ready. And the few games that I tried playing so far seem to work great. No lag or glitches or anything like that. I didn't install Moonshell yet but since I only plan on playing DS games with the R4, I don't think I need it anyway.

Got a question though. When I unzip my roms, I usually have 4 or 5 different files in there. For instance, Elite Beat Agents has a .diz, .jpg (box art), .nds, .nfo, and .png). Do I just leave all this in the folder or can I throw some of it out? I figure the .nfo & .jpg can go, but I have no idea what a .diz file is and if it's necessary for the game to play.

Oh, BTW, if anyone is worried about getting a bootleg R4, I guess the fake ones have blue stickers on the box and card label that say "2Gb" in addition to some Chinese. So look for that if you're shopping around for an R4. The ones Dealextreme sell are legit though.