Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    DarkChaos2795
    3DS Friend
    3351-4174-4389

Lightbulb For or Against the Virtual Boy?

I'm getting a Virtual Boy tomorrow at the flea market. But I did heard some people liking it, and others disliking it.

So just out of complete curiosity, do you love or hate the Virtual Boy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For what it is I care for it, and it never gave me eye tumors or splitting headaches either, dizziness or vertigo. The only and only reason I no longer own one, it got boring. You can only do so much with 14 US release titles before it gets stale and the Japanese stuff due to collectors are wretchedly pricy.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Virtual Boy does absolutely nothing for me except give me headaches and neck cramps. However, without it, we wouldn't have had this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtrkMGNp0o

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I know many gamers would think I'm crazy for it, but I actually really love the Virtual Boy. Even though it was gimped from Yokoi's original vision (because it would've been way too expensive), I think the technology is still really impressive, and the game library easily has one of the best crap to quality ratios of any system I've encountered. I guess that's what happens when you're dealing with a very small library with most of the games being first party, just like with the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Almost every Virtual Boy game is at least pretty good, if not great. I think Virtual Boy Wario Land is still the best Wario game ever made, just to name one. While there are some gamers who do have headache/eyestrain issues with it, I think most problems people have with it can be alleviated by simply following Nintendo's suggestions and setting it up properly. I always make sure to have it at a comfortable angle, adjust the screen properly, and take breaks, and I've never had any problems myself.

The biggest problem for the Virtual Boy is that it's a popular butt of jokes on the internet, so more often than not, when people make comments about it having no good games and "making your eyes bleed", they haven't ever even touched a Virtual Boy or barely tried one out. While it begins as joking, people actually start taking that stuff as truth, so a lot of gamers legitimately believe that all of its games suck and that it causes headaches to every single person who plays it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Ick" sums up my feelings about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was given a Virtual Boy a while back and I can play it for about 15 minutes before I become a bit too disorientated to continue. Also, let me give another nod to the deservedly lauded Wario Land, which is the best game I've played for the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Never played one but I don't think I'm missing out. If I was given one or found one really cheap I'd pick it up to try out but I wouldn't go out of my way for one.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I know many gamers would think I'm crazy for it, but I actually really love the Virtual Boy. Even though it was gimped from Yokoi's original vision (because it would've been way too expensive), I think the technology is still really impressive, and the game library easily has one of the best crap to quality ratios of any system I've encountered. I guess that's what happens when you're dealing with a very small library with most of the games being first party, just like with the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Almost every Virtual Boy game is at least pretty good, if not great. I think Virtual Boy Wario Land is still the best Wario game ever made, just to name one. While there are some gamers who do have headache/eyestrain issues with it, I think most problems people have with it can be alleviated by simply following Nintendo's suggestions and setting it up properly. I always make sure to have it at a comfortable angle, adjust the screen properly, and take breaks, and I've never had any problems myself.

The biggest problem for the Virtual Boy is that it's a popular butt of jokes on the internet, so more often than not, when people make comments about it having no good games and "making your eyes bleed", they haven't ever even touched a Virtual Boy or barely tried one out. While it begins as joking, people actually start taking that stuff as truth, so a lot of gamers legitimately believe that all of its games suck and that it causes headaches to every single person who plays it.
    I honestly don't believe all the " headache" tales. It's just the "correct" thing to say just like "I never liked MC Hammer' or " I never liked Vanilla Ice". It's just the thing to say.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

It's not exactly my favorite Nintendo console, but I'm glad I own one, even though I only play it about once a year.

Also, be sure that it works, since the Virtual Boy is a rather fragile system and unlike most other Nintendo consoles, prone to failure. I'd bring six AA batteries with you to test it out.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For or against Virtual Boy? Do I have to take such an extreme position?

I own a Virtual Boy and have all the US releases. I play it ever so often. I never have any eye problems, but do take the recommended breaks.

I like it because it's WAY different than any other game machine out there. Yes, with people on the Internet making fun of it, bashing it becomes the "cool thing to do," in much the same way bashing ET for the 2600 has become a badge of honor.

It's an okay system, with a few games worth playing for a short period of time. Most of the time though, the system is going to be sitting on the shelf.

I second the motion to test it out before you buy.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Against. My friend had one in high school, and I played it for 10 minutes and my eyes were hurting. I just don't like the all red coloring, makes it difficult to see and play. What's sad is it took Nintendo another 5 years to release a handheld system with comparable graphics. But I've had more than enough experience with the Virtual Boy to be satisfied I'm not a fan.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    I honestly don't believe all the " headache" tales. It's just the "correct" thing to say just like "I never liked MC Hammer' or " I never liked Vanilla Ice". It's just the thing to say.
    I never liked Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone likes or liked shitty pop music.

Just because you're embarrassed to admit it doesn't mean the rest of us wore giant parachute pants in the early 90's :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I have had mine since it came out, and I am happy with it..Has a few really good games for it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Always found the Virtual Boy to be fun. Never owned one, plan to someday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For! The VB has some pretty cool games and is interesting technology; the fact that it's a headset really helps enhance the immersion, versus systems like the 3DS. The VB has far too few games and sadly died right after launch, but still, many of the few games it has are good. I would highly recommend getting the ac adapter tap and adapter if you like the system much, though; its 5-7 hour battery life is short.

And yeah, the "VB gives you headaches/kills your eyes" thing is overblown. Yes, some people can't see its 3d, or get headaches, but most, including me, do not. If other forms of 3d don't affect you, the VB shouldn't either. And it does run at a good speed -- the VB's 50hz.

I would agree that the VB eventually becomes something you use rarely, either because of the cost of batteries if you don't have the ac adapter or because of how few games there are for it, but still, it's a pretty cool thing to have, it has some pretty good games, and I"m happy to have one, even if I only infrequently use it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This should be a poll.

I'm for, I like the VB enough that I just got a mint one in a blockbuster case for safekeeping. I don't play it as much as I should though.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually find the 3D on the 3DS more bothersome than on the Virtual Boy. It kind of messes with my head on 3DS but no issues at all with the Virtual Boy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    The Virtual Boy does absolutely nothing for me except give me headaches and neck cramps. However, without it, we wouldn't have had this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtrkMGNp0o
    Count me in with those who sympathize for the unfortunate folks who have to work at all those trashed shops.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I played it for about 10-20 minutes, didn't leave a huge impression one way or the other. Played Wario, for the record. It's an interesting-looking piece of hardware, but file under 'meh' for me.

I miss my parachute pants.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Maybe I'm weird, but I actually find the 3D on the 3DS more bothersome than on the Virtual Boy. It kind of messes with my head on 3DS but no issues at all with the Virtual Boy.
    Agree on the 3DS, gives me a bad headache and even makes me a bit dizzy. As for the Virtual Boy? I'd call it the worst video game system ever made.