Thread: NeoGeo AES sound question

Insert Coin (Level 0) SpiritualK's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NeoGeo AES sound question

Hi everyone,
    so I finally bring out my neogeo aes console yesterday, now when I turned it on to play it I noticed that there was a static sound in the game intro. I figured it was the tv or bad connection so I take it to another tv and it does the same thing. I tried a few different games out and the same static sound on the game intro would happen. mind you I didn't have any controllers plugged into the system during this time.
    obviously I was freaking until I did plug in the controllers and the sound from the games went crystal clear perfect.

I just want to know, is that normal? to have a static sound on the games when there are no controllers plugged in and perfect sound when the controllers are plugged in? I just noticed that.

I have an un-modded AES console serial under 10,000... plugged in with the standard composite cable it came with.

also side question... anyone else notice how the visuals of the AES aren't as bright or vivid when its plugged into an HD tv? freaky

btw I didn't know where to put this question in the forums so if it's on the wrong place. sorry about that.

Thanks in advance everyone

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could be bad grounding on the video cable. As far as the video is concerned, hooking up the aes via composite will always yield a garbage picture when used on an hdtv. You'll have to upgrade to s-video or component to get a nice picture on an hdtv.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritualK View Post
    Hi everyone,
    so I finally bring out my neogeo aes console yesterday, now when I turned it on to play it I noticed that there was a static sound in the game intro. I figured it was the tv or bad connection so I take it to another tv and it does the same thing. I tried a few different games out and the same static sound on the game intro would happen. mind you I didn't have any controllers plugged into the system during this time.
    obviously I was freaking until I did plug in the controllers and the sound from the games went crystal clear perfect.

I just want to know, is that normal? to have a static sound on the games when there are no controllers plugged in and perfect sound when the controllers are plugged in? I just noticed that.

I have an un-modded AES console serial under 10,000... plugged in with the standard composite cable it came with.

also side question... anyone else notice how the visuals of the AES aren't as bright or vivid when its plugged into an HD tv? freaky

btw I didn't know where to put this question in the forums so if it's on the wrong place. sorry about that.

Thanks in advance everyone
    That does sound like some kind of grounding issue, I had an N64 that did that for some reason. As for the NEO GEO AES video in general, the composite is abit dull at times, and it's more apparent on an HDTV for some reason. There's always the mod option for S-Video, and there's the RGB option which is the absolute best picture, but you will have to pay a little bit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    Could be bad grounding on the video cable. As far as the video is concerned, hooking up the aes via composite will always yield a garbage picture when used on an hdtv. You'll have to upgrade to s-video or component to get a nice picture on an hdtv.
    He would have to get a SCART to YUV (Component) adapter to get component since the NEO GEO AES outputs RGB. Only problem is, most HDTV's don't like low res component signals, he would have to get an upscaler as well.
    Last edited by alec006; 09-15-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If he goes the scart route, he will most likely need to open up the console to replace a few caps. The early serial consoles have low value caps that feed the rgb lines and can cause distortions in the video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you are having a sound issue, have you tried using the headphone jack instead of the standard composite/mono cable?

Insert Coin (Level 0) SpiritualK's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for all your help guys.... and yeah it could be a ground issue since I did have the cables near a my carpet (my bad, I know).

ammm.... could anyone do me a HUGE favor and try it out with their neo geo aes to see if its normal or its just me?
    just plug in the aes to a tv, insert a cart but don't plug in any controllers. and turn it on to see if there is static sound on the start up screen and game intro/menu.

thanks again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritualK View Post
    thanks for all your help guys.... and yeah it could be a ground issue since I did have the cables near a my carpet (my bad, I know).

ammm.... could anyone do me a HUGE favor and try it out with their neo geo aes to see if its normal or its just me?
    just plug in the aes to a tv, insert a cart but don't plug in any controllers. and turn it on to see if there is static sound on the start up screen and game intro/menu.

thanks again

Nope don't have that problem on my stock system or modded one. BTW, in addition to svideo mods, component mods can be done also.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My MV-1 system has static when playing certain games and I don't know why???
    I am wondering if it will go away by plugging in a controller or two...

Does this issue affect all your games or only some?
    Do you have to plug both controllers in or just one to correct it?

So far it is: (a bootleg copy of) Puzzle Bobble 2, and (Japanese copy of) Stakes Winner

I have not tested all of my games yet, but about half work without problems...

I also have a 2 cartridge MVS (not sure of the model) I can probably test them on. (I just can't see anything on the screen with the monitor trouble I am having)

Does this problem affect all of your games, or just some?