Thread: Most Creative New Non-Mainstream Gaming Franchises (Released Within Past 5 Years)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Most Creative New Non-Mainstream Gaming Franchises (Released Within Past 5 Years)

What gaming franchises seem to be gaining steam and pushing the envelope at the same time?

I'll have to vote for Locoroco. It's the single most original/enjoyable addicting experience I have played in years and it seems the developers like to branch out even with it being as new as it is. The new version for download on PSN isn't the same as the psp versions yet it manages to be just as addictive! Pretty amazing for a series to branch its gameplay so soon after conception. It seems this series is going to have alot to offer. The new standard in platform gaming, imho.

I have high hopes for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on pc also. Would love to see some more for this series, and possibly an online universe instead of just deathmatch. I find the buzz surrounding Fallout 3 quite interesting as well, as I never had even heard of the game myself. That kind of sparked this topic.

Any other games out there that are going silently unnoticed? My selections were somewhat mainstream I know, but not so much that everyone and their neighbor knows about it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the super addictive ball rolling fun of Katamari Damacy. Man we rolled that ball for hours on end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    It's almost like a soap opera where you think that everyone cares about how Kevin's adventures on eBayland goes from day to day.

There's a place for semi-regular posts like your's Kevin, it's called a diary or a blog.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Nukie View Post
    What about the super addictive ball rolling fun of Katamari Damacy. Man we rolled that ball for hours on end.
    I love Katamari more than most, but let me tell you that Me & My Katamari was pretty damn stale. I'm hoping that with Beautiful Katamari things get back on track, but since the original dev team is doing it its really hard to say from just the one demo level i've played.

As much as I liked Loco Roco (and as much as Katchoo LOVED LocoRoco) It's not a franchise yet. 3 games makes a franchise, not 1 with an eventual sequel on the PSP and the PS3 title thats still a ways out.

I'd toss out Animal Crossing (it's third and thus 'franchise' status title is being done for the Wii) and as simple and straighforward as it is, I love it immensely.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Default WARNING.....Nitpicking jack-assery to follow....

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    As much as I liked Loco Roco (and as much as Katchoo LOVED LocoRoco) It's not a franchise yet. 3 games makes a franchise, not 1 with an eventual sequel on the PSP and the PS3 title thats still a ways out.

I'd toss out Animal Crossing (it's third and thus 'franchise' status title is being done for the Wii) and as simple and straighforward as it is, I love it immensely.
    By your logic, Half Life, God of War, Diablo, Disgaea, Forza, Fable, Team Fortress, Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights, 'Sega' Nights, and Star Craft aren't 'franchises', which seems a pretty bold thing to say.

Games I think have already obtained the mantle of 'franchise' in the minds of the companies that own the IP's include Crackdown, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Untold Legends, Rock Band, Resistance, Heavenly Sword, and Gears of War. Franchise, by textbook definition meaning "an intellectual property involving the characters, setting, and trademarks of an original work of media (usually a work of fiction), such as a film, a work of literature, a television program, or a video game. Generally, a whole series is made in that particular medium, along with merchandising and endorsements."

Sorry to whip out the trolling stick, but the '3 games' argument seems a bit arbitrary, and there are MANY games that have a powerful legacy in gaming without '3' titles.

Games I wish and hope attain franchise status?... I don't think there are any this generation just yet. I wouldn't mind another dose of Odin Sphere, or a very well done sequel to Bioshock, but other than that... New IP?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

boobie, by your definitions... any game is a franchise...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me the terms originality and franchise don't usually go together. Once original titles such as Katamari, Viewtiful Joe, and Harvest Moon get popular and developers try to franchise them and recreate the magic over and over again they tend to disappoint.

you want an original idea that hasn't spawned a sequel yet, how about Odama?
    Last edited by Griking; 09-24-2007 at 12:35 AM.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    To me the terms originality and franchise don't usually go together. Once original titles such as Katamari, Viewtiful Joe, and Harvest Moon get popular and developers try to franchise them and recreate the magic over and over again they tend to disappoint.
    I can get behind that.

And Poofta, there isn't a game made today that isn't an attempt at a trilogy or cross-media marketing extravaganza. So by your interpretation of my definition, yes. I suppose that was the point I was making.

Still...That Gordon Freeman is gonna be upset he won't qualify for franchise status until 2023. At best.

G-Boobie, out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to say that I really liked Chibi-Robo on Gamecube, and I look forward to the DS sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Any other games out there that are going silently unnoticed? My selections were somewhat mainstream I know, but not so much that everyone and their neighbor knows about it.
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94265

I started the thread above last year and mention several excellent games that went "silently unnoticed" in 2006.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)