Thread: Microsoft to Introduce 15-30 Second Commercials to Xbox Live

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Microsoft to Introduce 15-30 Second Commercials to Xbox Live

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...Xbox-Live.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...-to-xbox-live/

So, worst console of the generation? You would think making a console that throws ads in your face, forced you to pay to play online, and has an original model that broke down even more than the original nintendo would have put them under but no.

I already see tons of ads just from turning on the system, where would they even ad these commercials? WHERE?

Even if it's just added to their apps and not in game, they just keep pushing this sort of thing further and further. When will it end?
    Last edited by wingzrow; 04-25-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ugh... I suppose it's just a matter of time. I was equally as outraged when they first doing the 15 second advertisements at the start of many Youtube videos. But, it's just life and they have to make their money somehow.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    But, it's just life and they have to make their money somehow.
    I thought that's what they were doing by charging a subscription fee?

Yet I have no doubt Gold subscribers will be subjected to this right alongside Silver subscribers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Microsoft Pioneers:
    The first to have payments for DLC
    The first to charge to play online
    The first to offer adverts, even if you'd paid for Gold
    The first to convince customers it was ok to go through 4 consoles because of a design flaw
    The first to shred its own media
    Microsoft points only sold in increments of 5000
    The first to make other multiplatform games lose features if they weren't on xbox

Am I missing anything?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm sorry, but your headline and description is blatantly deceptive. The ads are only being added to TV and movie apps (i.e. this is no different than watching video on any commercial website and sitting through 15 seconds of an ad before your video will start). I guess you don't use Youtube or have cable and satellite which charge crazy monthly fees and yet still have tons of commercials, pop-ups in programming guides and all manner of other advertising. While I don't necessarily like being advertised to constantly, at least it makes sense in the context in which it is being used. So, no, I don't think the 360 is the worst console this generation, it's at least as good as the others and frankly, I play it more than the other two, so to me it's definitely the most entertaining and represents the best value for my money.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...Xbox-Live.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...-to-xbox-live/

So, worst console of the generation? You would think making a console that throws ads in your face, forced you to pay to play online, and has an original model that broke down even more than the original nintendo would have put them under but no.

I already see tons of ads just from turning on the system, where would they even ad these commercials? WHERE?

Even if it's just added to their apps and not in game, they just keep pushing this sort of thing further and further. When will it end?

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm sorry, but your headline and description is blatantly deceptive. The ads are only being added to TV and movie apps (i.e. this is no different than watching video on any commercial website and sitting through 15 seconds of an ad before your video will start). I guess you don't use Youtube or have cable and satellite which charge crazy monthly fees and yet still have tons of commercials, pop-ups in programming guides and all manner of other advertising. While I don't necessarily like being advertised to constantly, at least it makes sense in the context in which it is being used. So, no, I don't think the 360 is the worst console this generation, it's at least as good as the others and frankly, I play it more than the other two, so to me it's definitely the most entertaining and represents the best value for my money.
    I think the criticism is still valid since its Microsoft's deal making in the background that caused this to come about. They are putting their own profits before customers ease of use on a subscription service, that other services do something similar is no justification for it. This is just part of a larger trend of increased advertising on XBL though, how long is it going to take before Microsoft makes the big leap and you start seeing "just 15 seconds of advertisement" before you next Gears match?

*insert long rant about how justifying XBL on anything other then a "my friends play on it" basis is just silly considering PC gaming is free not to mention Wii and PS3 Yada Yada Yada
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 04-25-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

ehh if that happened i would get use to it.

I mean it happens on TF2 ... allthoughhh TF2 was free and since its on the PC its free to play online too..
    But on the flipside they already have commercials on XBOX live.. in that stupid mishmash screen they have now you'll notice one or 2 commercials that won't have audio unless you have it highlighted

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I think the criticism is still valid since its Microsoft's deal making in the background that caused this to come about. They are putting their own profits before customers ease of use on a subscription service, that other services do something similar is no justification for it. This is just part of a larger trend of increased advertising on XBL though, how long is it going to take before Microsoft makes the big leap and you start seeing "just 15 seconds of advertisement" before you next Gears match?

*insert long rant about how justifying XBL on anything other then a "my friends play on it" basis is just silly considering PC gaming is free not to mention Wii and PS3 Yada Yada Yada
    It's part of a larger trend in digital services in general. I'm not going to get worked up about Microsoft doing the exact same thing every other digital platform is doing with placing ads ahead of video content.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Since the latest update, I've spent the least amount of time navigating around the dashboard as possible. What a fucking disaster. The 360 dashboard could really be THE biggest failure of this console generation. I say that without hyperbole. "Fixing" something that wasn't even broke just to push a wildly unpopular and gimmicky piece of hardware.

The ads? Couldn't care less. The 360 dashboard needs to return to something I actually want to explore. After that happens, I'll start noticing all these terrible commercials everyone here is getting all huffy about.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Since the latest update, I've spent the least amount of time navigating around the dashboard as possible. What a fucking disaster. The 360 dashboard could really be THE biggest failure of this console generation. I say that without hyperbole. "Fixing" something that wasn't even broke just to push a wildly unpopular and gimmicky piece of hardware...
    I agree the dashboard as a whole is a mess. Finding a specific game that I've purchased & downloaded is now an enormous chore. I hate the tiles, they clutter up the screen and all the most relevant things I'm looking for in regards to my library and console are always hidden away somewhere.

As for the ads, I am furious about it, but I knew it was coming. I still don't feel it's right to subject me to ads after I'm paying a yearly fee for the service. If they somehow inject ads into the Netflix or Hulu Plus apps, I will be outraged. Furthermore, the day they inject ads into gameplay sessions is the day I outright cancel my subscription.

I'm an old and crotchety gamer. Stuff like this is seriously making me consider that I will stop purchasing new games at this current generation and skip out on the next one(s).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

AdBlock Plus actually does a good job of hiding ads on Youtube from me.

If this is really so outrageous, I'm sure router hacks will quickly sprout up that will filter the content appropriately.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can't even access any of the channels without Gold. Simple apps like Facebook Twitter, YouTube, Netflix, ESPN, etc are all blocked for Silver members. If adding ads meant providing free access, it might be a good idea, but now it'll just inconvenience their paying customers. The free members probably won't be able to use the new video channels.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And the 360 is still light years ahead of anything PSN and whatever Nintendo's online model is.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocade Fantasia View Post
    And the 360 is still light years ahead of anything PSN and whatever Nintendo's online model is.
    Exactly. The ads on the dash annoy the hell out of me (especially if I glance over one and it begins blaring 10 decibels higher than it should), but for ease of online multiplayer and quality of XBLA entries, I stick with what provides the best gaming experience.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

They should have these ads for silver users, and allow them to have limited online gameplay to justify it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocade Fantasia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    Exactly. The ads on the dash annoy the hell out of me (especially if I glance over one and it begins blaring 10 decibels higher than it should), but for ease of online multiplayer and quality of XBLA entries, I stick with what provides the best gaming experience.
    Outside of cross game chat, the quality of online multiplayer and ease of use is the exact same. Ease of use is all based on the game, where quality of online is based on the game as well as the connection of your opponents. Playing the same game on the 360 doesn't make the online easier to access or better quality.

New Mythbusters: Does Xbox Live have a better online multiplayer connection or is it just fanboys trying to justify why they pay $50 a year? Monday 05/07 at 3:00 PM CST. Having played a good deal of online on both consoles, many of the same titles, I don't have to watch Mythbusters to know 360 only owners arguments are bullshit.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-02-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Outside of cross game chat, the quality of online multiplayer and ease of use is the exact same. Ease of use is all based on the game, where quality of online is based on the game as well as the connection of your opponents. Playing the same game on the 360 doesn't make the online easier to access or better quality.

New Mythbusters: Does Xbox Live have a better online multiplayer connection or is it just fanboys trying to justify why they pay $50 a year? Monday 05/07 at 3:00 PM CST. Having played a good deal of online on both consoles, many of the same titles, I don't have to watch Mythbusters to know 360 only owners arguments are bullshit.
    Disagree. The 360 just has a much slicker interface IMHO and frankly, there is no doubt that downloading on PSN is significantly slower than on the 360 when done over an identical connection. Is it worth $50 (well, most people pay less actually with the many sales at various retailers on 12 month cards) a year? I don't know, but I do know that Sony is guaranteed to charge for on-line services on the next Playstation as they can't survive without doing so after years of record losses.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Microsoft Pioneers:
    The first to have payments for DLC
    The first to charge to play online
    The first to offer adverts, even if you'd paid for Gold
    The first to convince customers it was ok to go through 4 consoles because of a design flaw
    The first to shred its own media
    Microsoft points only sold in increments of 5000
    The first to make other multiplatform games lose features if they weren't on xbox

Am I missing anything?
    I don't know about everything you're talking about, but many systems offered paid subscription services for online gaming prior to Microsoft doing so (XBand for Genesis and SNES, Randnet for the 64DD, etc.). Many systems were also notorious for poor design that broke down and forced gamers to buy multiple systems (PS1, PS2, etc.), and maybe it's not exactly the same thing, but Sony was insistent that some multiplatform games would offer more content on their hardware than on Saturn (besides there are plenty of PS3 games that have more content than their 360 versions).

Anyway, I'm still using an old version of the Dashboard and I never take my 360 online, so everything is still just dandy for me. :P

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

Online multiplayer is not the same on PSN, and certainly not on the Wii. Each game is saddled with their own interface on PSN, wherein Xbox Live works within the same parameters across all games. PSN regular downtime is also a pain, wherein Xbox Live has been down twice in maybe three years. The only time it's ever suffered was Christmas of '07.

And I own all three consoles, so it's hardly fanboy BS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Don't bother arguing with Kupo. Just ignore him.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.