Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

I have 0 desire to ever pick up an original GBA. I hated the screen on that thing!

Picked up an SP and never looked back.

I'm going to catch it for this one, but the PS2 is pretty high on my list of crap consoles. There are a lot of amazing games, but the hardware is garbage! I've had such terrible luck with those consoles. Sad thing is, I'm very good to my gear. I even still have a launch 360 working (one red ring fixed under warranty). It's the most used console, too.

I wish there was a better option for the PS2 like there was for the GBA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nophix View Post
    I have 0 desire to ever pick up an original GBA. I hated the screen on that thing!

Picked up an SP and never looked back.

I'm going to catch it for this one, but the PS2 is pretty high on my list of crap consoles. There are a lot of amazing games, but the hardware is garbage! I've had such terrible luck with those consoles. Sad thing is, I'm very good to my gear. I even still have a launch 360 working (one red ring fixed under warranty). It's the most used console, too.

You may want to look at wiggys modded GBA's they are pretty damn sweet

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nophix View Post

The slim model? The later ones are fairly reliable (early slims overheat, big surprise), at least by Sony console standards. The slim also has the advantage of a flip-top lid, so you don't have to worry about the mechanical tray breaking down like with the original model (those are gonna be fun to deal with in 20 years, just like the model 1 Sega CD systems).

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

Can't stand the N64 only because the controller was awful to play with and I went through so many different ones because of the garbage joystick that I got fed up with it. I became a Sony boy after I sold my N64 and bought a Playstation (although I didn't exactly do the selling myself, I was too young. My parents did it for me!)

EDIT: I'd be willing to play maybe a couple games again, but I've tried playing at friends' houses and it just doesn't do the magic for me that other consoles do. Oh, and the Virtual Boy. Screw the Virtual Boy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The slim model? The later ones are fairly reliable (early slims overheat, big surprise), at least by Sony console standards. The slim also has the advantage of a flip-top lid, so you don't have to worry about the mechanical tray breaking down like with the original model (those are gonna be fun to deal with in 20 years, just like the model 1 Sega CD systems).
    I've had several of each. My current silver slim seems to be holding on, sort of. It's fussy but it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    I like the GBA SP, so I still play the games.

No, let me correct that. I LOVE the SP. it's one of my favorite consoles.

Funny enough, the same thing happened with the DS. I had an original and went back to the SP. then, I got a good deal on a Lite, and gave it another shot. Loved it!

The original Gameboy and 3DS seem to be the only ones they got right first IMHO.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of my friends are really into collecting and playing games for the Intellivison and Colecovision and urge me to get in on it with them but I just have NO desire to go back and play those consoles. I do own a few games for both and I have an Intellivision console but I don't plan on adding to the collection or have any plans on buying a Coleco whatsoever.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Speaking of Colecovision, if anyone does want to get one, I highly recommend getting a refurbished one from a reliable source, such as the user on Atariage where I got mine.

Units found in the wild are highly likely to be flaky or not work at all since some very common issues affect these systems like controller port or power switch issues and would make owning and collecting for the CV a frustrating experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    Some of my friends are really into collecting and playing games for the Intellivison and Colecovision and urge me to get in on it with them but I just have NO desire to go back and play those consoles. I do own a few games for both and I have an Intellivision console but I don't plan on adding to the collection or have any plans on buying a Coleco whatsoever.
    Of all the pre-crash systems, I think the Colecovision would be the most appealing for anyone who isn't that into the idea of revisiting that era. It's just leagues ahead of the 2600 and Intellivision, as far as I'm concerned, and the games are fairly comparable to early NES releases.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Of all the pre-crash systems, I think the Colecovision would be the most appealing for anyone who isn't that into the idea of revisiting that era. It's just leagues ahead of the 2600 and Intellivision, as far as I'm concerned, and the games are fairly comparable to early NES releases.
    I'm sure they are, I'm just such a huge 2600 fan that I tend to play those games over anything that was released in the pre-crash era. I may try to fire up the Intellevision someday or pick up a Coleco to play the few games I have for it, but it wouldn't be for a while since I have such a backlog of NES games I'm trying to experience and finish in 2013/2014. Like I said though, my buddies are really into the Coleco and Intellevision and I get to see them play them at their places once in a while.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    I'm sure they are, I'm just such a huge 2600 fan that I tend to play those games over anything that was released in the pre-crash era.
    Me too, for example bump and jump looks better on the intellivision and CV but I have a lot more fun playing the 2600 version.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I can't really say with honesty that there are systems I would never, ever care about playing again, but there are some that I certainly don't have a problem kinda forgetting about for awhile.

Atari 2600 - this was my first system as a kid, and I should be nostalgic for it. 5 minutes of Air-Sea Battle is fun but other than that I just don't have that retro love for it.

Nintendo 64 - There are only a handful of games on this system that really speak to me, and overall I just don't get that "retro" feel from the N64, so there isn't a big nostalgia thing with it for me. I just think of the blurry visuals and the fog effects. In a few more years, the N64 will be pretty old, and then maybe I will feel more of a longing to play it ?

Dreamcast - There will be a time when I really, really, really want to play a bunch of Dreamcast games, but right now is not that time. The Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox 1 era is still too recent for me to really be into playing that stuff. I'm usually either all retro and all modern, I don't typically play the stuff that is 10 to 15 years old. It's too recent for the retro love, and I'd rather just play the most up to date stuff if I want semi-modern style gameplay.
    These are pretty much my sentiments exactly, though I still love O Xbox games for the fact that they didn't yet really implement the DLC thing and for the most part games weren't broken!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Philips CD-i

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I can't. Every console I own, I'll go back to again. I guess I could pick on a learning system like Pico or something, but I don't think it would be in the spirit of the question. I like games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The question itself is tripping me up, I will play whatever you put a controller in my hand for, the consoles I listed I don't collect for anymore, I do have a Dreamcast and a 64 but I couldn't be bothered dragging them out to hook them up for an hour or two, two I don't have and wouldn't bother with again are Sega 32X and Atari Jaguar for the lack of games on either. Though I haven't played a Jaguar game since it first came out, I had my Jaguar until Christmas and gave it to a friend because I was broke and couldn't afford gifts, he still gives me hell about that shitty Christmas present, lol.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Apf tv fun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've gotta go with the Wii. That nunchuk controller was silly.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    I've gotta go with the Wii. That nunchuk controller was silly.
    I'll always keep my Wii, if for no other reasons than Fortune Street and Gunblade NY/LA Machineguns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Game.com. We bought it as more of a joke than anything and I can say with all honesty that I never get the urge to play it. My Virtual Boy on the other hand... I'm upset that the display is hosed. Would love to play me some Wario.

Oh, and I could probably never play an NES again and be ok with it. I grew up with an Atari 2600 and a TurboGrafx-16, so I think it's really a case of just getting to it too late. I own a bunch of NES games and have tried to really get into it, I just don't get the appeal except for nostalgia. Though I'm really excited about the Commodore 64s I picked up so I might just not like Nintendo... Search me.
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8