Thread: Which PS3 model is the best to buy right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shupirate

Default Which PS3 model is the best to buy right now

If you were going to buy a PS3 system right now. Which model would you buy? Looking for recommendations. Also looking to get one that plays PS2 games..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say you should buy the backwards compatible 80gb MGS 4 bundle that I'm selling...

Yeah, that's it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shupirate

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I'd say you should buy the backwards compatible 80gb MGS 4 bundle that I'm selling...

Yeah, that's it!
    interesting is it on ebay? where are the details....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

If you want BC you'd have to go for one of the older models, beware tho the older ones (mainly the 60 and 80g BC's) have been crapping out lately. Mine just died about a month ago and I said screw it and got a slim model instead.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    If you want BC you'd have to go for one of the older models, beware tho the older ones (mainly the 60 and 80g BC's) have been crapping out lately. Mine just died about a month ago and I said screw it and got a slim model instead.
    People have been saying that on the internet but I have two 60gb A unit and so does my friend and we've experienced no problems with our units. I know another guy who has a BC 80. Again no problems.

If they do, they're pretty easy to fix as most of the parts are pretty modular and available on ebay and other venues at reasonable prices. I'd buy another 60gb unit or a 80gb unit.

I'd stay away from 20gb units though, they seem to go for similar prices and they have less features, the only reason to buy it is if you don't care about those features.. then it's a good buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's the 20GB missing? Just wifi and memory card slots?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    What's the 20GB missing? Just wifi and memory card slots?
    Far as I know..

It still makes a huge difference if you bring it over to friends houses. My friend JJ has a 20gb unit and always has to plug in to the Ethernet to get online to play. It becomes inconvenient because he always has to string a huge cable across the living room. That being said, they're still cool units and I kinda want one myself. JJ has proclaimed after upgrading the drive inside he'd never trade it away. So I know he's extremely happy with it. Still, last I saw the market was dictating that little more money (approx 50$) you can get a 60gb A unit with all the features.

Still if you really want a 20 and get it on the internet, I hear you can use usb wireless adapters well with it. Only certain ones though. There's quite a few on ebay right now.. but buyer beware, they're Hong Kong products.
    Last edited by otoko; 04-23-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dsullo View Post
    interesting is it on ebay? where are the details....
    PM sent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dsullo View Post
    If you were going to buy a PS3 system right now. Which model would you buy? Looking for recommendations. Also looking to get one that plays PS2 games..
    If you want BC, go with either the launch 60GB, the 80GB/MGS4 model, or the 80GB/Motorstorm model. Those are pretty much your only choices. I would stay away from the 20GB launch model as it has no Wifi or memory card slots, and 20GB will fill up pretty fast. However, it's easy to swap it out for a larger HDD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you actually play online games, you're better off avoiding wifi if possible.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Just like everyone else I'd recommend BC but I'd also both avoid the 20GB and like Kedawa said, when playing online I'd avoid playing wireless.

The reason to not get the 20GB model is because you'll be missing out on adhoc party. I know every time I talk about the PS3 I rant about how great adhoc party is, but it's an awesome service. You need your PS3 hooked up wired and load up adhoc party, connect your PSP wirelessly to it.

After that you can enjoy adhoc only PSP games from multiple states away with no noticeable lag. There's never any input lag, so whenever the person is too far away there is ongoing lag. You can play atleast three to four states away as long as both people have a good connection and it'll run at what seems to be full speed.

Some games I've played against other people or you would usually find people playing. Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Dissidia, Monster Hunter series, Gundam Battle Universe, Power Stone Collection, Gran Turismo Portable, etc. Lobbies have up to 32 people and you'll usually have one or two with 25-32 people. I've only seen three full lobbies though, so that's atleast 90 people on at once.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say just get a Slim or one of the 80gb Phats and get a PS2 w/ component cables for PS2 games. The older PS3s tend to crap out more, and the PS3 is primarily for PS3 games anyway.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin_genitalia View Post
    I say just get a Slim or one of the 80gb Phats and get a PS2 w/ component cables for PS2 games. The older PS3s tend to crap out more, and the PS3 is primarily for PS3 games anyway.
    PS2 games are upscaled to 1080p. Only the need for one system. 99% of games BC on the 60GB PS3.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    If you actually play online games, you're better off avoiding wifi if possible.
    Why? I thought it's suppose to make it better. I have a wireless adapter for my 360 and it works without any problems. What wifi issues does the PS3 have?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Just like everyone else I'd recommend BC but I'd also both avoid the 20GB and like Kedawa said, when playing online I'd avoid playing wireless.

The reason to not get the 20GB model is because you'll be missing out on adhoc party. I know every time I talk about the PS3 I rant about how great adhoc party is, but it's an awesome service. You need your PS3 hooked up wired and load up adhoc party, connect your PSP wirelessly to it.

After that you can enjoy adhoc only PSP games from multiple states away with no noticeable lag. There's never any input lag, so whenever the person is too far away there is ongoing lag. You can play atleast three to four states away as long as both people have a good connection and it'll run at what seems to be full speed.

Some games I've played against other people or you would usually find people playing. Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Dissidia, Monster Hunter series, Gundam Battle Universe, Power Stone Collection, Gran Turismo Portable, etc. Lobbies have up to 32 people and you'll usually have one or two with 25-32 people. I've only seen three full lobbies though, so that's atleast 90 people on at once.
    And for someone who barely touches his PSP, and doesn't do much online gaming, I saved some cash by going with my 20GB two years ago. Not too mention the all black look looks better than the other versions of the console. No need for the memory card ports as that what USB is for, and wired is better than wi-fi any day of the week.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

IIRC, the 20GB and 60GB fatty models have actual Emotion Engine hardware, while the 80GB fatty runs PS2 games via emulation software, which is still better than not having backward compatibility at all.

Feel free to correct me if I have that wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The launch systems have the full PS2 chipset, while the later BC models only have part of it. Late model fat PS3s and all slim PS3s have no PS2 hardware whatsoever. I forget the specifics, but there has never been full software emulation of the PS2 on any PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

PSX backwards compatibility is done through emulation, if that matters. All PS3s play PSX games.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get the original fat 60gb. It's got everything the ps3 was supposed to have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I still say the 60gb units are the best. c0ldb33r said it best, it has the most as far as features. I have two of them and they has spoiled me for other PS3 units. I've played online on the wireless and never had any problems or lag. When at home I use wired internet, but I travel my PS3 to people's houses at least twice or three times a week and I always do wireless at other people's homes.

Still either way

My picks are still

60gb with hardware based PS2
    80gb with software based PS2

I'd also go as far as saying the 20gb would be a good buy also depending on your needs.

PSS: Also the four USB ports to the two of the new units can be the most helpful thing ever if you use Rockband, hard drives, or any third party controllers.

When at home I usually have a HDD, keyboard, RB adapter, and power cable for my PS3 mic all plugged.
    Last edited by otoko; 04-26-2010 at 12:14 AM.