Page 25 of 76 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Its almost as if Hyperkin is a tiny company without the resources large companies have at their disposal!

I have some mixed feelings about the RetroN5.

First, I hate to toot my own horn, but on the Ouya being the better choice than the RetroN5......I told you so. Go back and look at this or the other thread called "The Retron5 is a thing, apparently" to find many many posts I've left saying this.
    I came in this thread hyped for the Retron 5, after reading your comments and looking more into it Im more likely will buy it. Its actually on sale at Amazon now is the best time I suppose.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have some mixed feelings about the RetroN5.

First, I hate to toot my own horn, but on the Ouya being the better choice than the RetroN5......I told you so. Go back and look at this or the other thread called "The Retron5 is a thing, apparently" to find many many posts I've left saying this.
    For the millionth time, Ouya and Retron5 are mutually exclusive. Ouya plays ROMs but not carts; Retron5 plays carts but not ROMs. If you want to play 1000s of Retro (and indie) games on an HDTV without buying a bunch of hardware, Ouya is for you. If you've already got an extensive collection of carts but are concerned with maintaining your old hardware, getting the best display, or other perks like save states, then the Retron5 is the obvious chioce.

Am I still excited for the RetroN5? Yes. Does the price increase suck? Yes. Is it a deal breaker for me? No. I'm hoping the Canadian online store I preordered it from will honor Hyperkin's promise that whenever possible, the Retron5 will sell for the preorder price. Even if that doesn't happen though, I'm still looking forward to getting a first look at the Retron5 upon its release and answering in depth questions people have about it.
    You and I appear to be in the same boat having pre-ordered from small fry websites. I hope Hyperkin honors those preorders.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaKat View Post
    I came in this thread hyped for the Retron 5, after reading your comments and looking more into it Im more likely will buy it. Its actually on sale at Amazon now is the best time I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon.com
    "Please notify me when this product becomes available."
    Yep, that looks quite available to me. Derp.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-26-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    True but the ouya's footprint fits my entertainment system much better than an xbox. I may get a cheap one though, because I hear so many great things about it's emulation.
    I wouldn't mind having an Ouya just for the games it has and movies, but I got a media player so that's not that big a thing for me, if I didn't have an Xbox full of retro games I would invest in one but the price and the fact I already have an emulation machine just put me off from pulling the trigger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I agree, the ouya is the better option. Glad I made that choice and I'm very happy with it. Been playing it quite a bit and having xbmc and some fun android games just makes this a no-brainer purchase for me.

Marketing aside, Hyperkin is playing fast and loose with the semantics of what does or does not constitute emulation. The thing is, this is a device targeted to a certain group that is very familiar with the ins and outs of emulation so I'm not sure who they think they're fooling.
    Never once have I regreatted buying an Ouya, and over the last six months with firmware updates and patches, most of the blemishes and early frustrations I had with the Ouya have gone away, making it a product I can easily recommend to nearly everyone, especially the retro focused gamer.

You ask who are hyperkin fooling with their marketing spin, but I can assure you that it's a lot of people. I run a mid-sized youtube channel with over 3000 subscribers now. Almost daily when I post a video on a classic game on on the Ouya, I get a comment from someone who says they will buy that game because they want to play it on the Retron5 and how that will such a special experience. There's a lot of people who are oblivious to how the RetroN5 even works.

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryshadow09 View Post
    I prefer the bigger selection of emulators the original Xbox runs.
    What? What does the original Xbox run that the Ouya doesn't? Aside from Xbox and DOS, the Ouya runs everything that's on the Xbox, which is why the Ouya has replaced the Xbox as my emulation box of choice. I keep one around because CoinOps is still absolutely awesome, but the Ouya's got it outclassed in hardware and in capability.

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Kinda like the Ouya?
    Exactly like Ouya! Do you not remember how botched of a launch the Ouya had? Delays, kickstarter backers not getting their systems ahead of the retail version, the fact that the kickstarter version was inferior to the retail version, the fact that the 1.0 firmware was...well, shit, controller lag and sync issues, controller buttons getting stuck in the faceplate, the fact that Ouya's customer support was horrendous, and so on and so on. The botched launch still colors people's opinions of the Ouya in a negative way.

Hyperkin is in the exact same position Ouya was last spring. Only difference is that they aren't under extreme pressure because of angry kickstarter backers.

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    For the millionth time, Ouya and Retron5 are mutually exclusive.
    This. TOTALLY this. I speak of Ouya vs Retron5, but there's no reason you can't buy both. All I'm saying is that people generally won't do that. I will, and I think it would be a good idea if others did as well, assuming the Retron5 turns out to be all its cracked up to be.

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryshadow09 View Post
    I wouldn't mind having an Ouya just for the games it has and movies, but I got a media player so that's not that big a thing for me, if I didn't have an Xbox full of retro games I would invest in one but the price and the fact I already have an emulation machine just put me off from pulling the trigger.
    What do you currently use for a media center? Keep in mind, the Ouya is more powerful than the original Xbox, and far more flexible with its emulators supporting pretty much any USB or blutooth controller form an NES to USB converter to a PS3 Dualshock 3. The open source nature of the Ouya is really the best thing about it. Hell, there's even an overclock app you can download for it that roots it and taxes the hardware to a stable point where nothing will crash yet you'll get a preformance boost at the cost of the fan running more often. The method of enabling such a hack? Simply launching the app and pressing a button.

And then there's the Ouya's own library of games. Yeah, it's a mixed bag, but there are some REALLY good games on Ouya, some of them even exclusive to it. A surprising number of them are absolutely free, while others are inexpensive, with only a handful costing PSN/XBLA prices. Everyone on Ouya is free to try, which means that you essentially get a demo with everything there is. You'll never buy blindly.

I can understand if you're holding out because you already have access to most of what the Ouya has to offer, but I tell you, as someone who was in the same boat, I'm so glad I made the leap. The Ouya really is one of the best purchases I've made in recent memory. I use it almost every day and love how flexible it is.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah thats why I have it currently in my cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Kinda like the Ouya?
    Hah touche. And more amusing, I doubt we'll see the Retron5 inside of Best Buy or Target anytime soon you know, like the Ouya.

While this topic seems to be morphing both into OUYA and RETRON5 I got to ask about the Ouya. What's the deal with the story that they had an Ouya2 coming with better specs inside the little cube? I'm leaning towards one of those things now as I'm fine leaving my systems plugged in to play the carts, yet I'd rather not buy an Ouya for 99 to have #2 pop up 30-90 days later for the same price and nicer stuff going on inside.

And on the Ouya I never was quite certain but I heard if you have a google play enable tablet with purchases on it, you can somehow sideload this stuff to the Ouya. Is this easy or do you have to void the warranty doing some illicit jailbreaking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

According to the weekly Ouya devs google hangout broadcast, the "Ouya 2" has been confirmed to be in development as a real thing, but they haven't made any announcements at all, such as specs, price, release date or anything.

Ouya will be at E3, so you'll need to wait until June 10-12 for any potential announcement. If Ouya's gonna announce the Ouya 2 anytime soon, it'll be at E3.

My bold predictions (or at least, hopes and expectations) on the Ouya "2":

-Android KitKat 4.4.2 OS
    -Tegra 4 quad core processor with 2GB RAM
    -16 GB Flash storage
    -1080p and 720p HDMI output
    -Blutooth 4.0
    -802.11n wireless and Ethernet port
    -backwards compatibility with all existing Ouya software
    -improved controller with rear triggers, better grips on the thumbsticks and a better touchpad. Hell, they might even add start and select buttons like they should've in the first Ouya! -1x Micro-USB 2.0
    -2x USB 2.0 [c'mon Ouya, do it do it do it do it do it!]

-$199 MSRP.

The one thing I'm pretty certain of is I don't think they'll be able to sell a Tegra 4 Ouya for $99. Love to be wrong, but I suspect it will be at least double what the 8GB original Ouya sells for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    And on the Ouya I never was quite certain but I heard if you have a google play enable tablet with purchases on it, you can somehow sideload this stuff to the Ouya. Is this easy or do you have to void the warranty doing some illicit jailbreaking?
    The Ouya is basically one giant middle finger to products with warranty voids and complex jailbreaking procedures.

Sideloading on the Ouya is dead simple. With a micro USB cable, you can plug your Ouya into your PC/Mac and essentially turn it into a mass storage device. Then where ever you want, simply place the .apk file(s) on the Ouya and then disconnect and go play your Ouya on your tv. In the main menu, choose Builds and there will be anything that's sideloaded. From then it's just a matter of hitting launch. Not everything works with the Ouya, especially when it comes to controller support if the apps were not written for that in mind. For example, it's possible to play the beautiful Final Fantasy VI port to Android on Ouya, but you have to use the touchpad on the controller - none of the physical buttons do anything. This will be the case more often than not.

All that being said, I've owned an Ouya for almost a year now and I've found there to be PLENTY available on the Ouya's own discover store to never be even slightly temped to look at the Google Play Store. The Ouya has content coming out all the time, and if you don't already own an Ouya, as soon as you jump in you'll find plenty to keep your interest from the incredibly sublime Clark to the incredible Maldita Castilla. Then there's all the stuff that will just put a smile on your face, like Donkey☆Me, which is a Donkey Kong arcade clone using characters from 80's films like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, and the Goonies rendered in 8-bit sprites.

While a Tegra 4 Ouya will be more powerful, depending on what you want out of the Ouya it might not even be needed. A Tegra 4 Ouya will let them put far more visually impressive modern games on Ouya, and let XBMC handle bluray rips and flac audio and really high end stuff like that. If you're after the retro stuff, the existing Ouya is more than adequate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Only hiccup to tour description of the Ouya, Satoshi, is that Ouya will now get games with no demos. They lifted that requirement recently. I doubt this will become retro active with the existing titles but I'm sure we'll start to see some games come down the pike demo free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah, that does suck, but I haven't seen that happen yet. If that does start to happen then maybe that will change my opinion on the Ouya being quite as awesome as it is now, but
    even if they do a limited timed trail that's still better than, say, the Nintendo e-shop, which expects you to lop down money on games with only a vague idea what they even are. Blind buys are something I hate to do on digital shops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Only hiccup to tour description of the Ouya, Satoshi, is that Ouya will now get games with no demos. They lifted that requirement recently. I doubt this will become retro active with the existing titles but I'm sure we'll start to see some games come down the pike demo free.
    It's simple, really. No free download, no buy for me. Ouya rocks, btw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you've already got an extensive collection of carts but are concerned with maintaining your old hardware, getting the best display, or other perks like save states, then the Retron5 is the obvious chioce.
    All that can still be done with the ouya WITHOUT having to drag your carts around. That's the point. If I'm not playing original hardware, then it doesn't matter to me whether I'm playing a cart or a rom, especially since the retron just makes you THINK you're playing the real thing. In the end, ouya or retron 5, you're playing a rom.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, that does suck, but I haven't seen that happen yet. If that does start to happen then maybe that will change my opinion on the Ouya being quite as awesome as it is now, but
    even if they do a limited timed trail that's still better than, say, the Nintendo e-shop, which expects you to lop down money on games with only a vague idea what they even are. Blind buys are something I hate to do on digital shops.
    Satoshi, are you making Let's Plays with your Ouya? Are you recording via a PVR or do you point a camera at your HDTV?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    Satoshi, are you making Let's Plays with your Ouya? Are you recording via a PVR or do you point a camera at your HDTV?
    Well, I don't really consider what I do as Let's Plays. They sort of are, but I think of them as showcases where I show a bit of early gameplay to get people interested who might have never heard of a game, or only know vague things about it. They're not really reviews, but I do try to only talk about games worth playing.

I record all my videos with a camera at the moment. I'd love to purchase a recorder that hooks up to my mac so I can capture even better quality video with clean audio and then add in later commentary with editing, but that would be expensive. Still, with ad revenue from youtube it's a possibility in the future. Any money I make through youtube goes right back into it, which is how I was able to afford an HD camera in the first place. I used to use a 480p 4:3 camera with a bad mic and horrible auto focus.

Anyway, if you guys want to check out what's on the Ouya, I post videos every day and at least once a week a new Ouya Classic. Here's the current playlist of episodes.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...SdbMeJ4RDLFmLI

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All that can still be done with the ouya WITHOUT having to drag your carts around. That's the point. If I'm not playing original hardware, then it doesn't matter to me whether I'm playing a cart or a rom, especially since the retron just makes you THINK you're playing the real thing. In the end, ouya or retron 5, you're playing a rom.
    I agree, but I'd add one thing. It's easier to use original controllers on the Retron, which is important for some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Einzelherz View Post
    I agree, but I'd add one thing. It's easier to use original controllers on the Retron, which is important for some.
    Probably the only thing the retron has over the ouya and even then, I believe adapters can be used to attach original controllers. The question is - are using original controllers worth the money? Personally I haven't had a lick of problem using the ouya controller, the only time it's an issue is with Atari 2600 paddle games, but then again, not something the retron 5 can help me with anyway. I gotta try the PS3 controller with it, I hear that it works great on the ouya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, but this requires either:

A) Download ROMs illegally from shady websites, copy to a flash drive, and shove them up the Ouya's anus. It doesn't matter if you own the original game or not, or how many people's doing it, downloading commercial ROMs is illegal.

B) Use a fugly backup device like a Retrode to dump ROMs to a PC, which costs more than the Retron5 once you buy all the necessary adapters. You'll still need a Kazoo or CopyNES in addition to Retrode in order to backup your NES games.

C) Stay within copyright law and limit yourself to Public Domain homebrew ROMs and other games from the likes of sites like pdroms.de There are a few fun games to play, but most will find the library of free and PD ROMs lacking.

Retron5 is a guilt-free alternative to playing original game carts that you legally collected and obtained over the years, with enhancements (HD, save state, etc...). Plus, no PC required and you still go through the drill of "insert cart into slot" as the games were intended to be played.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-27-2014 at 04:17 PM.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

True but the ouya's footprint fits my entertainment system much better than an xbox. I may get a cheap one though, because I hear so many great things about it's emulation.
    The Wii's got some great emulators too, and a much smaller footprint than the Xbox. Hell compared to an Xbox the Wii has a toeprint.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What? What does the original Xbox run that the Ouya doesn't? Aside from Xbox and DOS, the Ouya runs everything that's on the Xbox, which is why the Ouya has replaced the Xbox as my emulation box of choice. I keep one around because CoinOps is still absolutely awesome, but the Ouya's got it outclassed in hardware and in capability.
    CoinOps has awesome light gun support on Xbox for one can you use a light gun on the Ouya?

Colecovision?

Atari 7800?

Sega CD?

32X?

Odyssey?

Lynx?

What do you currently use for a media center?
    I have a Micca with a 1 TB HDD inside and a 1 TB external for now, it plays pretty much anything you can throw at it, I can rip an ISO right from a DVD and it will play the ISO file as if it was the DVD with all the menus.
    Last edited by mercuryshadow09; 04-27-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, but this requires either:

A) Download ROMs illegally from shady websites, copy to a flash drive, and shove them up the Ouya's anus. It doesn't matter if you own the original game or not, or how many people's doing it, downloading commercial ROMs is illegal.

Retron5 is a guilt-free alternative to playing original game carts that you legally collected and obtained over the years, with enhancements (HD, save state, etc...). Plus, no PC required and you still go through the drill of "insert cart into slot" as the games were intended to be played.
    This argument assumes I experience guilt. I do not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anyway, if you guys want to check out what's on the Ouya, I post videos every day and at least once a week a new Ouya Classic. Here's the current playlist of episodes.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...SdbMeJ4RDLFmLI
    Subbed. Love your vids. Great voice and I can tell you really enjoy doing this, which shows through well and makes watching them that much more enjoyable.