Thread: Neo Geo CD Front Loader

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Default Neo Geo CD Front Loader

I've just found a Neo Geo CD Front-loading system for about $50-70(whatever it is with the exchange rate is now...). I've done a bit of reading, and this seems quite rare.

Would this be a good pick up? If I were to try and sell it, how much might I get for it? Of course, I might just keep it. Who knows what I'll do?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Moved to What's it Worth.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wouldn't say it's rare. More like uncommon since this version was Japan only. For a loose one you might be able to get $150 depending on the condition. Boxed could bring up to $200. Seems like a good price you found there assuming it works and is in nice condition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I wouldn't say it's rare. More like uncommon since this version was Japan only. For a loose one you might be able to get $150 depending on the condition. Boxed could bring up to $200. Seems like a good price you found there assuming it works and is in nice condition.
    There were apparently 25,000 front-loaders made before they switched to the common top-loader that was released in the west. I'm not sure how rare that is compared to the production runs of the other variations, but this is the only front-loader I've ever come across.

It's unboxed, but looks to be complete with all the connections and in very good condition from the 2-minute look I gave it. Then again, it was behind a glass case and I only saw the front and top. My "very good evaluation" might have to be misjudged for better or worse.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    There were apparently 25,000 front-loaders made before they switched to the common top-loader that was released in the west. I'm not sure how rare that is compared to the production runs of the other variations, but this is the only front-loader I've ever come across.

It's unboxed, but looks to be complete with all the connections and in very good condition from the 2-minute look I gave it. Then again, it was behind a glass case and I only saw the front and top. My "very good evaluation" might have to be misjudged for better or worse.
    There were technical and cost reasons why they switched and generally, I think the front loader is more prone to breaking since the tray is fully mechanized. 25,000 is quite a lot considering I think the Neo Geo CD and CDZ only sold maybe a half million units worldwide. In any event, I would test to make sure it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    There were technical and cost reasons why they switched and generally, I think the front loader is more prone to breaking since the tray is fully mechanized. 25,000 is quite a lot considering I think the Neo Geo CD and CDZ only sold maybe a half million units worldwide. In any event, I would test to make sure it works.
    It's guaranteed from the shop selling it; meaning that I can take it back for a full refund if it doesn't work. No worries there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say what's it's worth for retail in the states, but it's not worth any significant premium over a top loader in Japan. I frequently see them selling at the same price as a top loader, and usually quite a bit less than $50 for a loose model. I've seen them quite frequently boxed for under that -- a few years ago I bought a boxed front loader for a friend for 3000 yen; this back when the yen/dollar rate was 115 or so.

They're not common at all, but don't seem to be particularly in demand here either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    I can't say what's it's worth for retail in the states, but it's not worth any significant premium over a top loader in Japan. I frequently see them selling at the same price as a top loader, and usually quite a bit less than $50 for a loose model. I've seen them quite frequently boxed for under that -- a few years ago I bought a boxed front loader for a friend for 3000 yen; this back when the yen/dollar rate was 115 or so.

They're not common at all, but don't seem to be particularly in demand here either.
    Ok, I was kind of wondering about that. It helps to have someone else here in Japan seeing the same things as me to give some perspective.

I checked it out again (in the glass case) and I couldn't notice a scratch. It really does look nice. It has the AC and AV hook-ups, a control pad and one of the original AES arcade sticks(!?!). I have no idea why they're selling an arcade stick with it, but whatever. It's at a Hard-Off, but it's not in the junk section. At least it's guaranteed then.

I'm thinking I'll probably keep my consoles and my favourite games for them, but I'll get rid of all my "large" stuff; light guns, arcade sticks, some games, etc. I'll give you a link if I put them up on here, if you're interested in anything at all. If not, it's cool of course.

BTW, are there any Neo Geos in stock at the places you frequent? PC Engines? I have a Duo, but if I found a cheap white PC Engine or Core I or II, I'd definitely pick it up.

Cheers