Page 29 of 165 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Well, I think the next one is going to be better, not do say this one was bad.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First AVGN video I've watched in awhile (I suppose I should catch up). I think it was a bit on the short side even for an AVGN video (which imo are almost always too short), but it was a good watch overall. I also enjoyed the intro.

I have to say it seems he has amassed quite a lot of stuff in a somewhat short period of time which is commendable since I doubt he had most of that prior to having success with the AVGN schtick. Looks like he has the NES on lockdown already, and some respectable collections for other systems, but damn.. the Neo Geo selection needs some work. Even though the game isn't directly related, I suspect he may have obtained King of the Monsters 2 for some sort of future Godzilla (or other movie monsters) overview.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savageone View Post
    First AVGN video I've watched in awhile (I suppose I should catch up). I think it was a bit on the short side even for an AVGN video (which imo are almost always too short), but it was a good watch overall. I also enjoyed the intro.

I have to say it seems he has amassed quite a lot of stuff in a somewhat short period of time which is commendable since I doubt he had most of that prior to having success with the AVGN schtick. Looks like he has the NES on lockdown already, and some respectable collections for other systems, but damn.. the Neo Geo selection needs some work. Even though the game isn't directly related, I suspect he may have obtained King of the Monsters 2 for some sort of future Godzilla (or other movie monsters) overview.
    I'm still waiting for his Neo Geo review, he already had footage of him weighing a cartridge in one of his intros.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I'm still waiting for his Neo Geo review, he already had footage of him weighing a cartridge in one of his intros.
    Yeah that would be pretty nice to have him do a Neo Geo system overview, there are a lot of bullet points concerning the AES that can be twisted for extra comedic effect. Definitely no shortage of material to work with there.

I'm surprised he hasn't yet touched Legend of Success Joe.. It's not a well known game but those who have played know just how baaaadddd the game really is. It's one of those games that is so laughably bad it kind of wraps back around to being good (in a cheesey way) to some.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I honestly thought this review blew. The only parts at which he bashed the games weren't really legitimate reasons and you'd be pretty stupid to think so.

I mean honestly. Almost any game that has something above you to switch an area, you'll always press up. Elevator action has where you press up and down on an elevator solely because you can move it up and down from each floor, but when it's just a single door that leads to one area, it's obvious. You pressed up on every door on Michael Jackson's Moonwalker didn't you? Or every door in Elevator Action? Etc, etc, etc.

I did notice someone saying this is a bad review of his, but wasn't his worse. Unless I don't remember one I do think this is his worst by far.

*edit*

One final thing is that the Zelda games are terrible so I hope his review on these ones really do fit. The only thing is that he's doing this review after about a million people already posted reviews. I do know that it's the AVGN so everyone will be praising the video, but it's still not really that original when it's common knowledge that those three games suck.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-14-2008 at 03:14 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The CDi Zelda games were much worse than Hotel Mario from the looks of it (although it's debatable which one has the worst FMV cinematics). Consider the Hotel Mario review a freebie. I think the real angry stuff is being held back for the Zelda reviews.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a french fan of AVGN and a collector of nes and megadrive (+ 32X + mega-cd) games. I've only known this guy this month but I've seen all videos now. (turtles, battletoads, powerglove and sega cd 32X are my favorite)

I've never own a Jaguar, I would like a review to know what I've missed
    I've ever heard that alien vs Predator was the only good game on this console.
    I think he could do a special game & watch video too.
    Or I've own a famous Amiga GX-4000, I don't know if it has been released in North America but it was ... fun

Do you have a list of Pal european nes games that are never been sold in America ? (please contact me on mp)

En tout cas féloches mec puis comme on dit en France "Va te faire foutre gros connard de paydai de jeu de merde"
    Last edited by matchou; 11-16-2008 at 02:39 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Angry Video Game Nerd is Awesome!!!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Cool intro showing off AVGN's collection. Very informative video. Heard of the 3 Zelda games, never heard of Hotel Mario before this video.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Strawberry (Level 2) Dastardly Dylan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    D2ME
    PSN
    D2ME

Wii: 7782-6113-4774-2333
    Teh Pwn Shop! - YouTube - Twitter

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was honestly expecting AVGN to make a joke about "I hope they made lots of SPAGHETTI", possibly even reffering to the fact that it's a meme on 4chan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROBOTNIK666 View Post
    I was honestly expecting AVGN to make a joke about "I hope they made lots of SPAGHETTI", possibly even reffering to the fact that it's a meme on 4chan.
    I think he respects his audience enough to avoid 4chan preteen non-comedy.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Hmm. Still could've been a bullet point of "this cinematic is so crappy this part blah."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly Dylan View Post
    Thanks for letting me know that Dman, I shall buy this and review it, for those on the fense about getting this I will let you all know how it is when I get it in.

Strawberry (Level 2) Dastardly Dylan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    D2ME
    PSN
    D2ME

Quote Originally Posted by Coldguy View Post
    Thanks for letting me know that Dman, I shall buy this and review it, for those on the fense about getting this I will let you all know how it is when I get it in.
    Wanna buy me a copy?

Wii: 7782-6113-4774-2333
    Teh Pwn Shop! - YouTube - Twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got my copy, only looked at it for about 10 minutes, will let you all know what I think about it when I can spend more time with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really hope to hear your impressions of the dvd soon dude. Im waiting out a little to buy it , mainly cause the last time they did a 2nd run of the 1st dvd the angry video game nerd actually signed copies.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Going to do a review this weekend on it, possibly later tonight or tommorow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    I really hope to hear your impressions of the dvd soon dude. Im waiting out a little to buy it , mainly cause the last time they did a 2nd run of the 1st dvd the angry video game nerd actually signed copies.
    I'm waiting for this reason too. Thankfully I wasn't able to order the first print so I got one of the signed copies.

He said in a video that he was thinking about doing something special for the second DVD so I'm going to wait a bit before I order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The first cut Review UNCENSORED!

Wow...sometimes I get emails, other times I get requests...however THIS is outrageous. I literally got 17 requests for me to do this review! Now some of you might remember one of my earlier reviews on his first DVD. So I guess might as well do the second one. Now I do not mind getting his DVD, he is after all supporting this site and brought a ton of people to come check out the critic. So why not do a Random Review on it? So here we go time to buy...

Now I know that to get the DVD you would need to go to one of those web stores and get it, and I noticed a few things. First when you select the item in the store, for some odd reason it adds two of them to the cart. If you do not pay attention you will buy one for the collection and the other for DVD playing in a DVD player. So buyer beware when ordering.

Also another common gripe is the Shipping and Handling charge of $8.50. Now I know that flat rate shipping pisses people off since it is one rate for everyone, however if you realize the potential of the international audience the extra charge will allow everyone to have a reasonable...

Wait no correctection; if you are international tack on an additional $10 to that. So maybe the shipping is 2-3 days and that could increase the price, therefore you will recieve the DVD...

Wait no another correction; it was sent by a common postal carrier via ground. Ok...how much would have cost if I were to send this back...$2.23.

Anyone else see an issue?

However after opening the box I saw the justification for the additional $6.27, they included (without my permission) a pin! A little pin, the one you put on your shirt, walk around with to promote a site or use for decoration on a backpack strap. It is not even a good pin, it is a crappy pin with a bad fasten that doesn't have anything related to the AVGN or any of his characters. It is a simple, boring, and dull pin. Excuse me for a moment.

*Closes door*

What kind of bullshit is this? I mean if you were going to give me something that's fine, but if it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THING I FUCKING ORDERED THEN WHAT IS THE POINT! I mean at least put his logo, a cartoon head, or even a character on it, but no it is generic logo where they go "Hahahaha we had some extra shit, add it in and charge 6+ bucks for it to ship in something they really wanted!"

*Opens door*

Sorry about the delay folks, had to um....feed the dog, yea that's it! Dog time to eat and I fed him, moving on.

So now it is onto the DVD itself it has the videos as seen on some other hosting site and You Tube. They range from the Atari 5200 to the Angry Nerd Christmas Carol. If you want the videos before that, seek volume one. Also on this DVD there are bonus features all conveniently on a third DVD for your viewing pleasure.

The first DVD has a REALLY simple menu. It is a bunch of animated icons in a grid pattern for easy selection. The popular "techno" intro is used in his opening at the very start (The one featured on his Double Vision Review). However unlike the DV review one he used the entire song to get you pumped up to see...the exact same videos again.

Granted the sound and video are of a really high quality, but if you go to the other hosting site page you can download the HD videos for yourself. However instead of taking your bandwidth and hard drive space they are on DVDs now...cool?

Well on to disc two now and HOLY SHIT is the menu awesome. It is the Mega Man 2 boss selection screen with him in the middle. The music is perfect, the animated icons work well, however there were some touches that could have made this better. When moving from selection to selection there is no beep noise like in Mega Man, the head in the middle does not follow your selection, rather it loops looking at each one. If you make a selection it does the beep like it should however what would have made this go over the top if he did a video intro like the Mega Man bosses before it played. That would have made it kick ass, so the title for best Menu scenes still is held by The New Adventures of Captain S Season One DVD.

Now again there are 8 videos on here, no special features, but still there is a THIRD DVD that contains all the goodness that this collection has to offer. So I pop it in waiting to see the epicness that it holds. As it opens up...I see a boring ass DVD menu. Cmon people, if you are going to take the time to make one really good and the other functional, at least you can make this one OK. However it is a mere menu to the pure awesomeness that is the special features right?

I will list them, you shall decide:

* Top 10 Nerd Moments of 2007 - In the same bad quality as it was on another website.
    * Nerd Room Tour - a 10 minute pan of what the "old" room looks like and highlights some key donations and his cat...Yippee!
    * You Tube Trailers - Seriously?
    * Intros - All two of them that involved user submissions! Hurray!
    * Vintage Nerd Material - Want to see James review games as a little kid? Want to see what his friends recorded back in 1995 that is game related? Here is your chance!
    * Commentaries! - Yes there are a total of FOUR commentaries. Bugs Bunny, Spider-Man, Fester's Quest, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. He picked these ones at random and placed them on the disc because "there is a little more room on it." Also this is a straight cut of the commentaries, as in one cut, point out things that people either didn't care about or people already knew. (Who asked how he recorded a game boy game? SUPER GAME BOY IS THE FUCKING ANSWER!) Now these are OK, commentaries range from shit to kick-ass, and these are OK since they bring some insight into the behind the scenes realm of the videos. If you want to know how a commentary should sound like for reference, see (again another PBC production plug) The New Adventures of Captain S Season One DVD.
    * Outtakes - Range from season two and a half to season three and a half, the first half of Season two was in the first DVD set. If you want to see those, it is going to cost you. These outtakes range from thirty seconds to seven minutes depending on the video and some of them are OK, however there are priceless gems to be seen (especially the Halloween one, trust me you will be laughing).

I should also point out the "Play all" feature is not in the Vintage Nerd Material, Outtakes or the Commentaries. They are only for the You Tube Trailers. I should also point out at the time of the article no "easter eggs" were uncovered as of yet, however since there were 2 in the first set I think he would manage to slip in another somewhere on these 3 DVDs.

That's it, I reviewed every single aspect of the DVDs, that's it all. No secrets, no hidden surprises, just the exact content that is on the DVD. So what is the final verdict? Simple, it is the same as the last time. If you are a die hard followers of the "Nerd" character you have already picked this up for your collection. As for those on the fence, CONGRATULATIONS! You have saved a lot of money on what could have been easily downloaded off of another website that hosts Season 2 and beyond of the AVGN. (Minus the special features of course (OF COURSE!)).

Well all in all I still stay The New Adventures of Captain S Season One DVD is still a better buy, however which volume is better for the Nerd, one or two? I am going to say one in this case, although you will get less content, the content, art style and presentation done on there (to me) is of a better quality and has an added incentive to actually buy the DVD (alternate ending and new sound track to some of his reviews) this time around it just feels like a copy and paste job to get fans to buy something else with the Nerd character on it.

Well...mission complete.