Thread: Your thoughts about getting a rare SNES-game signed?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bitbuster's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Your thoughts about getting a rare SNES-game signed?

So a friend of mine was the programmer of a now very sought after and expensive (and well reviewed) SNES game and I was thinking
    about having him sign my CIB copy.

What are you thoughts about that? Would it devalue the piece or increase it's value?

And if you would be doing it would you rather have it on the cartrdige itself, the box or the manual?
    On the front or back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would think it would increase the value, especially if there's a way to verify the authenticity of the signature. There are signed copies of Pitfall and Pitfall II out there from David Crane but I can't remember what they were worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bitbuster View Post
    So a friend of mine was the programmer of a now very sought after and expensive (and well reviewed) SNES game and I was thinking
    about having him sign my CIB copy.

What are you thoughts about that? Would it devalue the piece or increase it's value?

And if you would be doing it would you rather have it on the cartrdige itself, the box or the manual?
    On the front or back?
    It depends on the popularity of that programmer. In the 90's there were many unknown talent behind the games, the big names were directors, producers or designers, programmers also were quite knew like Romero or Carmack because the great work they did; but those big names were very few if you counted the total people working in the industry.

Today many more people in the industry are known because the internet lets you know and interact with many of them in social networks, internet forums, etc.

If your friend was well known before and known today, you really can increase the value if you want to sell the game. The signature would be best in the box if the artwork is in low contrast, to let the buyers see the signature in all its glory. The cart would be my second option ....

If the game is really expensive and sought after, you can always use an insert or the white "consumer information" booklet included in every snes game.

Can you give more details ?
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

chances are no one would even know who the person is.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Look ultimately it is YOUR game and your game alone. The only person that matters is you in the end. If you really were looking for the safe answer on what to do, if you look to perhaps display it, do it in a shadow box with the box, manual, and game pieced out, then have the game itself signed as often that's the cheapest piece of the puzzle to replace.

I wouldn't just let anyone influence you as a lot of uptight collectors would find a signature no better than damaging the dollar sign value of the game, box or manual. So look at what you have, think on it for a little but don't over think it, and do what is best. I think in the end it's cool you have a friend like that, and really I feel like you're dangling the carrot not saying at least which game as I'm sure there's more than one person on the project to still protect their identity.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bitbuster's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for your input guys!

Personally I would love to get it signed and put it into a shadow box. But I don't know alot about retro-collecting so I'm curious if there is a good or bad way having something like that signed.
    I mainly collect movieprops and with that it's an absolute no go having a nice hero prop signed by anybody. Normally that would ruin any high end piece.

But it's not a highend SNES-game that I have. CIB they currently go for 200-300.

I would love to tell you the game but he is actually the main-programmer of it and it would be quite easy to Google him.
    I just don't want any crazy people pestering him.
    Is he "famous"? No... he worked on some successfull games in the early nineties but went forward after that as programmer in the non-gaming industry.
    But if you're into SNES and or Amiga Games you've probably heard his name sometime.
    They worked in a very small team back then and I remember visiting him in his office and he showed me his progress on that game on a SNES developer console.

Hey that sound like a trivia

You know what... I will just ask if he is ok with it..I think I'm going to post a photo of the game anyway as soon as I have the signature

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bitbuster View Post

On the front or back?
    I doubt it would significantly change the price. At least not in general. Some might view any writing as a "blemish" and consider it worth a little less, while others might consider it "special"
    and think it's worth a little more. I think they'd basically cancel each other out.

Where to get it? I dunno, for some reason "on the PCB" keeps jumping into my head, but that's probably not practical.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

sorry for the double post, board is acting slightly wonky and I didn't think it went through

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The more uptight the collector or OCD the more likely youll hear some garbage of basically committing religous heresy having something signed. My best suggestion would be again ont he cart, but have it done below the label on the flat plastic there as it would center well below the label and ink can be wiped away from plastic, not the label. Since its a friend and it is going to stick with you, just do whatever you want you think is best that you think would display nicest.