Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: New retro consoles! Retron 3 and Retro Twin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They are IR. I wish they would have used the FC-16 Go controllers and RF. Those controllers are nice and the RF goes pretty far as well.

P.S. I know Yobo made the FC-16 and not Hyperkin, but these guys steal designs from each other all the time since many are made in the same factory.

What I really think Hyperkin should have done is release a line of RF wireless controllers for the NES, SNES, and Genesis with dongles. Kind of like Messiah did, but actually make them good controllers. These controllers could also have been also compatible with the RetroN series of systems (I think they may be making RetroN2 and RetroN as well). So you could sell retailers just the controllers loose without the dongles to be a cheaper option for RetroN owners.

That way you are killing two birds with one stone. Some nice wireless controllers (which I think the market really needs) and you have other wireless controller options for people who buy RetroN systems as well.
    Last edited by StoneAgeGamer; 05-31-2010 at 05:23 PM.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

edit: fuck, beaten

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeGamer View Post
    They are IR. I wish they would ahve used the FC-16 Go controllers and RF. Those controllers are nice and the RF goes pretty far as well.
    BAH!!!

Oh well, another one misses the mark ever so slightly.

And if anybody has any "issues" with the included wireless controller movements not feeling right, working right or "lagging" on screen they can chalk it up to the IR.

I would assume that via the control ports I can use my Messiah RF Wireless NES and SNES controllers/receivers with no problems ... of only Messiah made wireless Genesis controllers.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    BAH!!!

Oh well, another one misses the mark ever so slightly.

And if anybody has any "issues" with the included wireless controller movements not feeling right, working right or "lagging" on screen they can chalk it up to the IR.

I would assume that via the control ports I can use my Messiah RF Wireless NES and SNES controllers/receivers with no problems ... of only Messiah made wireless Genesis controllers.
    Lol, if only Messiah didn't go belly up.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) tentencanidae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    jeremycomitas

It's a damn shame about the compatibility problems with the Generation Nex Console. It was really sharp looking. I almost bought one.
    TenTenCanidae
    Collects NES games & RPG's for all systems.
    www.myspace.com/peeweesbike
    www.myspace.com/bayonetdoesntcare

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neojapan View Post
    RETRON3 Update:
    Retron3 production units where made using old NOAC, seems some monetary issues surfaced after prototype was made, so proto can play Castlevania 3 but production units wont.
    Uhm, I wouldn't be passing around that "Monetary Issues" rumor because it isn't true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

So what happens when I boot an NES game with the S-Video plugged in? Obviously can't have both the yellow plug and S-Video plugged in at the same time.

Black screen? Distorted graphics?
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    So what happens when I boot an NES game with the S-Video plugged in? Obviously can't have both the yellow plug and S-Video plugged in at the same time.

Black screen? Distorted graphics?
    I have them plugged in at the same time with no problems (at least with the TV I have the system plugged into). The S-video just gives a black screen with NES games, but gives a normal picture with the RCA plug.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Most TVs are pretty good at ignoring the video on the yellow plug but if you've set the wrong input it might possibly select it instead of the S-Video. Best to just leave it unplugged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Another question I didn't see answered in the thread. How are the Sonic Lock-Ons? And I'm going to assume Battletoads crashes on level 2 as usual?

I noticed Star Fox works. Do the other Super FX games work fine? Doom, and Yoshi's Island to be exact.

Absolutely need to know if Beggar Prince and Legend of Wukong work as well.

Appreciate the help.
    Last edited by Cloud121; 07-29-2010 at 12:50 PM.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd buy the Retron for sure, if it's ever available in Australia. I wonder how my super ufo would look sitting on top of it? Anyway, I'm sure it has it's faults, but it beats having 3 consoles hooked up via composite.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jbjabroni23

Has there been any definite on the snes controller mapping? Some users say their units SNES controllers are mapped correctly and some say theirs are not. I've tried to contact Hyperkin on the issue but have yet got no response. If the SNES ports are indeed mapped incorrectly then its a sad day, as I would have gotten this clone

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My brother and I have one at the house, and our SNES controllers seem to be mapped fine.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jbjabroni23

I hope that they are, if so then its a great clone for me as those incompatible games except with maybe the exception of Castlevania 3 aren't important for me. Hopefully I can get a answer soon from Hyperkin as to this SNES Mapping Issue.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES emulation is almost perfect, to my admittedly-untrained senses. The NES slot doesn't load properly maybe 1/100 times, but I can never tell if that's a system issue or because of old boards on the games themselves. And also, I can't get a copy of Dragon Warrior (your average, run-of-the-mill DW1) to boot up for the life of me. The only compatibility issue for the SNES that I've encountered is SMRPG, which has been expected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by jbjabroni View Post
    Has there been any definite on the snes controller mapping? Some users say their units SNES controllers are mapped correctly and some say theirs are not. I've tried to contact Hyperkin on the issue but have yet got no response. If the SNES ports are indeed mapped incorrectly then its a sad day, as I would have gotten this clone
    I just tested Darius Twin and Donkey Kong country on both systems and for all the buttons they use they seem to be correct.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jbjabroni23

The Following was StoneAgeGamers Post On His Experiences With the RETRON3:

Playing NES games:
    Packed-in Controllers - Wow amazing they actually seemed to have gotten to mapping correct playing NES with the pack-in controllers. A = B and B = A. I also believe Y = turbo B and X = turbo A. Unfortunetly this is one of the few places they got it right.
    Offical NES controllers - Mapping is fine. They work as expected. The controller ports are a little tight though, however I was using a 3rd part controller and this may have been why they were tight.

Playing Genesis games:
    Packed-in Controllers - Wait these controllers were modelled after the Genesis controller, yet are mapped wrong? Yes. For some stupid reason if you are playing Genesis games with pack-in controller A = B and B = A. This won't affect you on some games, but any game that requires you to be holding A and hitting B or holding B and hitting C its impossible. I played Road Rash 2 with these controllers and it was basically unplayable because I could not hold the throttle and punch at the same time. Obviously this mapping does not affect Sonic games.
    Offical Genesis controllers - I was expecting the A/B mapping to be backwards on these as well, but to my surprise they seemed to have mapped the official controllers correctly.

Playing SNES games:
    Packed-in Controllers - There's a little chart on the back of the controller telling you what buttons are mapped to whch buttons. You read the SNES chart and it all makes sense. A = B, B = A, C = R, etc. However its not right. Somehow these controllers are mapped like how the Retro Duo controllers were laid out. Y = B, B = A, X = Y, and A = X. Confused? Yeah it is confusing. Personally I like how the Retro Duo laid the buttons out better, so this did not bother me. However, I know it may bother some people. Also C = L and Z = R. So those are backwards from what you may expect.
    Offical SNES controllers - Well at least they are mapped correctly with official controllers right? Wrong. They are mapped the exact same way with official controllers. I forgot to test if R/L are mapped correctly. I assume they are.

After reading this it makes me wonder if this is just an issue of defective units, of which I have already heard multiple resellers and buyers of this device having experienced. If so just another question that will probably prohibit me from getting this device.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jbjabroni23

Got an official reply from Hyperkin today:

"Thank you for your interest in the Retron3,

All wired connectors are mapped correctly. If they are not working it would be due to a defective unit.

Hyperkin
    sales@hyperkin.com"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my Retron 3 today and it already replaced my Genesis and SNES. It's very convenient to go from playing Genesis to SNES with just a flick of the knob instead of having to plug and unplug av cables, in addition to how much shelf space and power outlet space it saves. And for me there's the bonus of playing NES games since I don't own an NES. There is a minor annoyance of having to unplug the s-video cable for NES games and plug it back in for Genesis and SNES games.

Composite video is very dark, but for Genesis and SNES you would want to use s-video anyways. S-video is very bright and sharp.

The Genesis sound is a little inaccurate. I noticed in Sagaia that the sound effects are louder than the music and a bit of the soundtrack is off key. Also, there is a little buzzing noise on NES and Genesis games. I can live with it. At least it doesn't sound totally butchered up like my Atgames GenMobile. Most of my other games don't sound too different than on a model 1 Genesis. SNES sound is perfect. I have no idea about NES since I never owned one.

The packed-in controllers are only good for NES games. For Genesis, not only are the A/B buttons swapped, but so are the X/Y buttons. Sometimes I forgot and pressed the wrong buttons. For SNES, L is C and R is Z, unlike what the box and the back of the controller suggests. These controllers don't work too well for games like F-Zero or Mario Kart where you have to use L/R and the face buttons at the same time. The controllers use IR so you have to point them at the system. I would have gladly paid more for RF controllers like the ones that are included with Yobo's FC-16 Go (which I also got with the Retron 3). I also noticed the problem with rapidly pressing a button or the dpad and not having all the presses registered. Also, the diagonals on the dpad aren't very good. This controller is totally useless for fighters and beat-em-ups. Fortunately the controller ports don't have any problems.

Also, the NES and Genesis cartridge slots have some sort of deathgrip. I have to press against the system so that I don't lift the whole thing while I attempt to yank the cartridge out. The SNES slot is surprisingly smooth and easy to insert and remove cartridges.

I've heard from other Retron 3 owners that Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES) doesn't work, but it works perfectly fine on mine.

Here's my game compatibility list:

Working:

Genesis:
    Air Diver
    Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
    Alien Storm
    Altered Beast
    Art of Fighting
    Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II
    Battletoads
    Battletoads/Double Dragon
    Beyond Oasis
    Bimini Run
    Bonanza Brothers
    Bubsy II
    Budokan: The Martial Spirit
    Burning Force
    Championship Pro-Am
    Chase H.Q. 2
    Chiki Chiki Boys
    Columns
    Comix Zone
    Crossfire
    Cyborg Justice
    Dashin' Desperadoes
    Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
    Double Dragon
    Double Dragon 3: The Arcade Game
    Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls
    Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun
    Ecco the Dolphin
    El Viento
    Elemental Master
    Eternal Champions
    Gadget Twins
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts
    Golden Axe
    Golden Axe II (pack-in controller's Mode button doesn't seem to do anything, so you have to use original Genesis controller)
    Gynoug (European)
    The Humans
    Jungle Strike
    King of the Monsters
    Lotus II: RECS
    Lotus Turbo Challenge
    Marble Madness
    Mega Bomberman
    Mercs
    Mortal Kombat
    Mortal Kombat 3
    Mortal Kombat II
    Ms. Pac-Man
    Paperboy
    Paperboy 2
    Phantasy Star IV
    Phelios
    Pit-Fighter
    Populous
    Ranger X
    The Revenge of Shinobi
    Road Rash
    Road Rash 3
    Road Rash II
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Sagaia
    Samurai Shodown
    Saturday Night Slam Masters
    Shadow Blasters
    Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
    Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Maste
    Sol-Deace
    Sonic & Knuckles (and any lock-on combination)
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Classics
    Sonic Spinball
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Space Harrier II (European)
    Steel Empire
    Street Fighter II -- Special Champion Edition
    Streets of Rage
    Streets of Rage 2
    Streets of Rage 3
    Strider
    Sub Terrania
    Super Hang-On
    Super Monaco GP
    Super Street Fighter II
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
    Thunder Force II
    Thunder Force III
    ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
    Top Gear 2
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Urban Strike
    Valis III
    Vectorman
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Virtual Pinball
    Whip Rush

SNES:
    Darius Twin
    Donkey Kong Country
    Gradius III
    HyperZone
    Mario Paint
    Mortal Kombat
    Mortal Kombat 3
    PilotWings
    Sim City
    Star Fox
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Street Fighter II
    Stunt Race FX
    Super Bomberman 2
    Super Double Dragon
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    Super Nova
    Super R-Type
    Super Star Wars
    Thunder Spirits
    Top Gear
    Top Gear 2
    U.N. Squadron
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game

NES:
    Batman
    Pro Wrestling
    Ring King
    Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Super Mario Bros. 3

Non-working:

Genesis:
    Ecco: The Tides of Time
    Virtua Racing

NES:
    Dragon Warrior
    Laser Invasion

Accessory compatibility list:

Working:
    official controller (SNES)
    Performance Superpad (SNES)
    official 3-button controller (Genesis)
    official 6-button controller (Genesis)
    official 3-button Megafire controller (Genesis)
    official/Majesco 6-button turbo controller; 6-button-style casing (Genesis)
    official/Majesco 6-button turbo controller; 3-button-style casing (Genesis)
    official 6-button arcade stick (Genesis)
    Game Genie (Genesis)

Non-working:
    official wireless controller (Genesis) - controller port spacing is different so receiver won't fit; might work with extension cables
    Acclaim Dual Turbo wireless controller (Genesis) - same issue as above

EDIT: Also StoneAgeGamer, I ordered a Mario/Duck Hunt cart but you sent me a non-working one. It just boots up to a screen of garbled mess. The casing is pretty torn up too.
    Last edited by PSony; 11-12-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please in the future e-mail returns@stoneagegamer.com if you have an issue with a product you purchased from us. Although I do browse forums a lot I could easily miss this.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com