Thread: Xbox 1 power supply cap identification

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Default Xbox 1 power supply cap identification

Bought a cheap Xbox at a flea market and it wouldn't power on, so I opened it up and found this obviously blown capacitor. However, it's so badly blown I don't know what the ratings are for it.

It's a Delta board, and was right where I've circled:

About all I can make out on the cap is TVR, 16241x, 326??? That could be wrong because it's so warped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Looks a bit toasty but not necessarily blown. Ceramic disc capacitors are a bit more...dramatic when blown.

I'd wager the fuse next to that inductor is a more likely candidate, assuming you haven't already tested it.

Pulled out my Delta supply and that cap is covered inside of a plastic shrink tube material and then glued to part of an inductor. Can't easily get it out unfortunately. If the fuse tests good I'll see about clipping the covering off.

I also strongly advise you to check the solder joints where the power connector goes into the power supply PCB. XBox PSUs are well known to have them crack and then arc which is why Microsoft put out that special power cable a few years ago. Checked both XBoxes of mine and found one just now that had the solder connections completely gone. Surprised it hasn't arced yet.
    Last edited by APE992; 09-24-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    Looks a bit toasty but not necessarily blown. Ceramic disc capacitors are a bit more...dramatic when blown.

I'd wager the fuse next to that inductor is a more likely candidate, assuming you haven't already tested it.

Pulled out my Delta supply and that cap is covered inside of a plastic shrink tube material and then glued to part of an inductor. Can't easily get it out unfortunately. If the fuse tests good I'll see about clipping the covering off.

I also strongly advise you to check the solder joints where the power connector goes into the power supply PCB. XBox PSUs are well known to have them crack and then arc which is why Microsoft put out that special power cable a few years ago. Checked both XBoxes of mine and found one just now that had the solder connections completely gone. Surprised it hasn't arced yet.
    Thanks. The joints are good and solid across the board, and I don't have anything to test the fuse with, but I assume I could just replace it. How much could it be, right?

The undercarriage of the plastic on the system has some silvery stuff all over it. It looks like something popped, and the plastic that held the cap? Almost gone. Totally melted away/burned near the top of it. I had to tear it away just to get the cap out to see if anything printed remained.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

The plastic I assume is meant to prevent shorting against the inductor sitting there next to it (big ass winding of copper wire on a plastic bobbin type thing). It's heat shrunk to the capacitor which I'm sure would be worse if it got scorched by something nearby.

The fuse in your picture is rated 15amp 250v but keep in mind if it is blown and it blew because of whatever caused the scorching it'll likely blow again or simply not function. You can test that fuse by pulling it out of the board and attempting to use it like a wire with a battery+LED or something of the sort. I'd recommend finding a way to test it to see if it is a problem as they are a very easy fix.

Not sure what the silvery substance would be off hand, I'd need more pictures of the power supply and at a higher resolution to make out any sort of damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

EDIT: Erm, double post.