Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Edition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for famicom and fds games having extra audio on the Wii virtual console in japan I know they released fds games like metroid and kid icarus that indeed had the extra audio,same for the famicom mini gba games.

I think if japan releases a famicom mini console I'm pretty sure zelda for example will have the extra audio.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I realize that was an old hardware limitation I am just wondering if we are going to get that extra audio in the states finally from them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pikkon View Post
    As for famicom and fds games having extra audio on the Wii virtual console in japan I know they released fds games like metroid and kid icarus that indeed had the extra audio,same for the famicom mini gba games.

I think if japan releases a famicom mini console I'm pretty sure zelda for example will have the extra audio.
    Yes, because they are emulating the original FDS/Famicom hardware, the ROM was not modified. The problem with the US version is that they are indeed emulating the NES and the ROM is not modified. The differences are in the code.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Zelda also used the microphone in Japan.
    I suppose if they did make a Famicom version, they would have to modify it (I think there was one release that used a "push Select four times" substitute. Maybe the Japanese GBA version?) Unless Nintendo would go to the extent of putting a cheapo mic in? (I know code-wise, the mic is basically just an extra button input)

I would have thought the FC cart version would have swapped out the mic input but I remember a James Rolfe video confirming it still used the mic (as despite the 1992 copyright date, it was apparently released in 1994 as a launch game for the AV Famicom, which had NES-style controller ports and thus no mic support).
    Last edited by SparTonberry; 07-29-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default NES Classic Edition / NES Mini RESTOCK on June 29th

FRESH STOCK this Friday!

If you weren't able to get your hands on an NES Classic during its initial run, you'll soon have an opportunity to pick one up at GameStop. The video game retailer announced that it is receiving a new stock of NES Classic consoles next week, on June 29, but they'll be in short supply.

According to GameStop, the retailer will have "at least 10 units per store," although some locations may have a larger stock. As before, the console will retail for $60, but it will only be available in limited quantities, which will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.

If you aren't able to visit a physical location, GameStop says it will have a stock of NES Classic systems on its website in addition to its brick-and-mortar stores. The console will also be available at ThinkGeek's online and physical stores, although it's not clear if it will be sold individually or as part of bundles.
    Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ne.../1100-6459961/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

What about Amazon?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    I'm gonna try for this, but given what happened the first time around, along with the SNES Classic Mini, I don't have high hopes. Still rather irritated with Nintendo over all this, as pretty much the only people who have benefitted from this fiasco (fiascoes?) have been the scalpers.
    -Adam

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

SNES Classics were much, much easier to find. I have seen them consistently in stores for months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    SNES Classics were much, much easier to find. I have seen them consistently in stores for months.
    They've been sold out in every store I've checked around here. The local WalMart had a place for them in the Nintendo section of their game case, but it was consistently empty (or filled with non-SNES Classic merchandise), and the price sticker has since disappeared from their racks. Every GameStop I've checked has been out of stock. Granted, I didn't bother lining up outside any of these stores before opening time, but I should've seen something. Heck, all I've seen of the SNES Classic Mini around here was an empty box for one which someone had on their table at a flea market, and even that managed to sell.
    -Adam
    Generally not much of an early riser
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 06-26-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Nintendo either A) produces too few consoles or B) prices it so low that people buy multiples of a console on day one then try to scalp it on Craigslist or eBay. They have been doing this since at least the N64.

Unlike many of the people who bought the system, I actually wanted one to play the games on it, not re-sell it. I'm not standing outside a Best Buy at midnight with my girlfriend so I can get stabbed or go to jail when someone decides to cut in front of me. I have literally never seen either an NES or SNES Classic or sale t a store, brand new.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Since this run of NES classic is identical to the original, I won't need one.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

What about this?

A Shōnen Jump Edition of the Famicom Mini will be released in Japan on July 7, 2018. Celebrating the 50th anniversary of Shueisha's Weekly Shōnen Jump manga magazine, the special edition will feature 20 Famicom games largely based on Shōnen Jump manga properties, including Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, and Kinnikuman.[24]

This edition of the console includes the following games:

Kinnikuman: Muscle Tag Match (1985)
    Dragon Quest (1986)
    Hokuto no Ken (1986)
    Dragon Ball: Shenlong no Nazo (1986)
    Kinnikuman: Kinniku-sei Ōi Sōdatsusen (1987)
    Saint Seiya: Ōgon Densetsu (1987)
    Captain Tsubasa (1988)
    Saint Seiya: Ōgon Densetsu Kanketsu-hen (1988)
    Sekiryūō (1989)
    Famicom Jump: Hero Retsuden (1989)
    Sakigake!! Otokojuku Shippū Ichi Gō Sei (1989)
    Ankoku Shinwa: Yamato Takeru Densetsu (1989)
    Tenchi o Kurau (1989)
    Hokuto no Ken 3: Shin Seiki Sōzō: Seiken Retsuden (1989)
    Dragon Ball 3: Goku Den (1989)
    Captain Tsubasa Vol. II: Super Striker (1990)
    Dragon Ball Z: Kyōshū! Saiyajin (1990)
    Magical Taluluto-kun FANTASTIC WORLD!! (1991)
    Famicom Jump II: Saikyō no Shichinin (1991)
    Rokudenashi Blues (1993)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES_Cl...n_Jump_Edition

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I bought one. Controller cable is way too short. My HDMI cable is long enough that I can sit on the floor a good distance away.

Picture quality is decent enough. I use the filter. I don't like that it doesn't fill up the whole screen and they cut off the overscan on the left and right sides but beyond that the games work and there's no noticeable lag. Tiny system. Good selection of games. Most of the essentials are there. Great price. B+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Our long national nightmare is over:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itsaboutdamntime.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	10539

Got to the local GameStop a couple of hours before opening time, and there was no line, so I waited in my car. A hour before opening time, a couple of guys started standing near the door, so I joined them. Had a pretty good time talking with them about classic video games, and electronics in general. At 10AM, the store employees unlocked the door and let the four of us in. The guy in front of me bought one as well, so I wasn't the only person crazy enough to show up early for one of these things.

Bought the console, along with a wired controller (there was a strict limit of one item per customer; the guy in front of me tried to buy two of the wireless controllers, but they wouldn't let him get more than one, even though they had a stack on the counter). Will have to track down some extension cables for the controllers (didn't see them at the store, but I didn't think to ask, either). Tried the NES Classic out when I got home, and it works quite nicely! They even left the 'minus world' trick in SMB1.

So yeah, glad that I was finally able to find one of these things for the regular retail price after nearly two years. Glad I didn't buy one from any of the scalpers (saw one in a local-ish game store priced at $150 last year), or settle for one of the knockoffs (saw one at the MIT Swap last month priced at either $30 or $50, and someone actually bought it ). It'll go nicely with my collection of Flashback mini-consoles. No idea if I'll be able to find one of the SNES Classic Minis around here to go with it, but who knows.
    -Adam

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    Our long national nightmare is over:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itsaboutdamntime.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	10539

Got to the local GameStop a couple of hours before opening time, and there was no line, so I waited in my car. A hour before opening time, a couple of guys started standing near the door, so I joined them. Had a pretty good time talking with them about classic video games, and electronics in general.
    Thats been my general experience while waiting for gamestop or toyrus to open. I get there like 30 minutes early and u just end up talking to random guys about video game stuff. So yeah often times its not really painful waiting in line for nintendo stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Thats been my general experience while waiting for gamestop or toyrus to open. I get there like 30 minutes early and u just end up talking to random guys about video game stuff. So yeah often times its not really painful waiting in line for nintendo stuff.
    Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever lined up outside a store to buy anything. I never bother with Black Friday (worked it once, not fun), and I generally depend on random chance for finding stuff. Sure, I've lined up outside of swap meets, hamfests, estate sales, etc. but that's a bit of a different situation, and I usually know several of the people in line. I wasn't sure anyone else was going to be lining up outside this store, and felt kinda silly waiting in my car two hours before the store opened, hoping that I wasn't going to have the cops called on me or something like that. Not sure I'd do it again, but yeah, it was an interesting experience.
    -Adam

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Leave home at 8:00 A.M.
    Board bus at 8:08 A.M.
    Arrive at the bus stop near GameStop at 8:58 A.M.
    Two guys are already waiting at GameStop.
    They had been there since 6 A.M.
    They had bought NES Classic Editions over at Wal*Mart first that day (1 per customer).
    The GameStop store's employee is already there, and he has unlocked the metal screen, but the door remains locked.
    The door has a flyer explaining that there were 18 NES CE's ($60 each) and 2 extra official wired controllers ($10 each). (This is in a town with a population of 9000 to give some perspective.)
    The flyer explains that there is a limit of 1 of each type of official NES hardware per customer.
    Employee explains he can't let us enter until opening at 10 A.M.
    Employee explains that there is a maximal limit of one NES CE purchase per household and one official wired controller purchase per household.
    I chat with the others customers waiting outside the store about old cartoons and video games and new indie games for classic consoles.
    We stand between their cars and I keep stepping farther back toward the east to use the shade of a nearby tree.
    A car filled with three or four people drives up, parking one or two spaces to the south.
    The two guys get nervous, not wanting to lose their places in line or chances at the purchases.
    They line up alongside the store.
    Car people stay in their car.
    Guys go back to being between their cars.
    More people show up.
    Guys form a line in the sun alongside the storefront again.
    The sun is too hot and I temporarily leave for the dollar store.
    I buy an umbrella to use as a parasol and a drink.
    I return.
    Just as I am about to open the umbrella, the store employee opens the door due to having a change of heart, letting us inside.
    The time is 9:30 A.M.
    We have to stay in the half of the store toward the front door.
    Half of the people there are there for things other than NES CE items.
    As we wait, three more people show up for NES CE's.
    A few people show up just wanting to browse the store.
    The first two guys buy their NES CE's and extra official controllers.
    The guys from the car go to buy their Call of Duty game(s).
    Guy finds out the store had a midnight launch of the game last night.
    Guy get irate, demands a discount of 15% or 25%.
    Employee asks what happened.
    Guy says he called three days ago asking about a midnight launch and says they lied, telling him it wasn't happening.
    Employee figures things out, explains he wasn't working there at that time, and that they didn't know about the midnight launch until the morning beforehand.
    Guy is still upset and indignant.
    Employee tries to calm things down, treat the situation as though the guy is half-joking, laughs a little.
    Guy looks around at the other people, kinda laughs along, calms down a little.
    Employee explains the situation, telling him corporate didn't inform them until Thursday morning.
    Guy finally accepts the situation, buys his things, leaves.
    The GameStop has lots of various unofficial wireless controllers for the NES CE.
    Remaining people who are there for NES CE's buy theirs, some with unofficial wireless controllers.
    A family shows up to buy an NES CE with an unofficial wireless controller.
    Store suddenly can't run credit cards due to the payment processor having an issue.
    Family is from three hours out-of-town, waits around hoping that the system will work again soon.
    Thankfully, they can eventually run their credit cards about ten minutes later.
    I notice that the store is having a Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale on all pre-owned (used) items.
    I notice a 50% discount sale on all clearance merchandise at GameStop (Zelda, Mega Man, Mario, a few other things with yellow price tags that have been there for a while).
    I notice a cool color-changing Sonic The Hedgehog mug.
    It is not a part of the 50% sale.
    Employee goes to change sign in the window to indicate the current numbers of NES CE's (about 9) and extra official controllers (0).
    Employee notices the sign says "per customer," not "per household," contrary to what he was told.
    I chat with employee, customers until my bus is almost there.
    I leave at 11:32 A.M.
    There are still 8 NES CE's left at GameStop.
    I board the bus at 11:39 A.M.
    I get home a little before noon.
    ...and that is my adventure from Friday.

The takeaway: a few good sales are still happening at GameStop, and there were more NES Classic Editions than I was expecting.

Remember, any Wii controller extension cable can be used with the NES Classic Edition or SNES Classic Edition. It's the same type of cable and connection that goes between a Wii remote and, for example, a Classic Controller Pro. Third-party cables like these can be bought from Amazon for about $10 for 2 of them and qualify for Amazon Prime shipping.

This also means that an NES Classic Edition controller, SNES Classic Edition controller, Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro, fighting game controllers for Wii, etc. can be used to control an NES Classic Edition or SNES Classic Edition. There's also the Hyperkin NES Controller to NES Classic Edition Adapter to use original NES controllers with NES CE wirelessly. And there is a plethora of unofficial wired and wireless controllers too.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

After two years I finally got one too but my story is abysmally boring. I just went by target yesterday morning on the way to work and they had 5-6 of then I need the case. Worst part for me and the other two people was waiting for the electronics guy to be able to unlock the case....now the controllers are apparently harder to get at the moment but since SNES classic and Wii classic controllers work with its not really a big deal at the moment.

I’m just glad Nintendo re released them
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Robocop2 For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (06-30-2018)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Funny enough, I was talking to my grandmother today, and she told me that she had bought *2* of the NES CE's for me as a surprise! I told her that I went to GameStop to buy one because she said she couldn't help with it that day. She was upset that I bought one. I told her I didn't know she was going to buy two of them so what was I supposed to do? She told me that she had some free time during Friday morning and bought them at two different Target stores in the early hours of the day (8 A.M. if I recall correctly). She said that one of the Targets got 168 of them! (This would have been near Garden Grove, California.) She lamented that I already had one. She asked how much it was, which was the same as what she paid for each. I asked her what she was going to do with them. She said she'd ask my cousin if he wanted one and she didn't know what to do with the other one. (Which is funny as he is an *ahem* "graphics enthusiast" who sold off his Xbox 360 and all of his games for an Xbox One and has no interest in anything older than current gen.) She asked if I wanted them. I said I could raffle them off at a convention. She was aghast at the idea. I told her she could send them to me if she wanted to. She asked if I was going to pay for them and the shipping. I told her no, I already had one, and I didn't want to pay, what, $120 plus $20 for shipping? She seemed forlorn. I suggested that she just return them to the stores. She, for some reason, thought that she couldn't return them. I asked her if she had opened them and if she had the receipts. She replied that no, she hadn't opened them, and she still had the receipts. So I told her, of course you can return them! For some reason, she had assumed she couldn't, like as if they were opened software. Anyway, the realization helped to cheer her up, and she decided to return them for the money.

I guess the lesson here is, "Look before you leap!"

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

They are currently in stock at Wal-Mart as well.