Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I "splurge" on a NWC 1990 repro?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should I "splurge" on a NWC 1990 repro?

I'm really looking for a rational reason to fork out $55 for a reproduction of NWC 1990. All rational though says I shouldn't 1) I already own 2/3 of the games on the cart 2) with the $55 I could buy at least 6 other NES games. I really can't justify buying a copy of it other than the fact that part of me just really wants to own it.

Thoughts? I guess I'm really just looking for someone to talk me into it and make me feel better about it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I, personally, don't think it's worth it. Go for the other six NES games instead.

I'm not too big on repros. :P

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not on a reproduction. Wither you play it or not, its not worth it. Did you watch the episode on this the Nerd did? I think its one youd like actually.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

There is no rational reason. The reason to have the original is the rarity/history value of it. The repro?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want it, buy it. It's as simple as that. The rational reason is that it will make you feel warm and fuzzy when you hold it in your hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Jack! That's the response I was looking for, none the less I'm going to pass right now as I don't have the disposable income to "waste". I need to be more economical with my money.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're going to drop some hefty cash, I say go all the way and drop $135 on a Power Pak so you can play NWC and a whole lot more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    If you want it, buy it. It's as simple as that. The rational reason is that it will make you feel warm and fuzzy when you hold it in your hands.
    Just looking at the dip switches on my freshly opened copy that my wife gave me for Christmas this year makes me feel all kinds of warm and fuzzy.

I love NWC, and I have gone through phases of playing it on emulation, trying to reach a higher and higher score. Would I have preferred that my wife grabbed it for me for $10? Of course, but there is no other recourse if I want to play the game on my NES unless I buy a Power Pak, which I fear would be the death of my collecting, so I'm staying clear of it. I say if you love playing NWC, get it. Otherwise, pass. I know I'll get my (or, rather, my wife's) money's worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe one day I will purchase a repro of NWC. Just no time soon. Also, I'm somewhat philosophically opposed to the Power Pak

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The Power Pak would be most useful for playing fan translated games, that way you won't need to buy bootlegs/repros of them to play them on actual systems. I think you can save games with the Power Pak which would benefit RPGs like Sweet Home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The Power Pak would be most useful for playing fan translated games, that way you won't need to buy bootlegs/repros of them to play them on actual systems. I think you can save games with the Power Pak which would benefit RPGs like Sweet Home.
    You can't do save states. You can only save if the original game supported saving.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    You can't do save states. You can only save if the original game supported saving.
    So games like Sweet Home that originally saved will work fine? That's all I would care about if I had a flash cart, I don't care about save states.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    This.

Let's be realistic here. A LOT of what us game collectors do, purchase, etc isn't what normal folks would call rational. I own games that I purchased more than 15 years ago which have never touched their corresponding consoles. If you want it and can afford it, then buy it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    If we're going to cheat and do a PowerPak, there's no point then not to just go ahead and emulate everyone on the PC. A USB adapter is pretty cheap, and you can do everything a PowerPak can plus save states. For me, though, I just prefer the actual carts as they were intended to be. Heck, I even do repros of the carts I can't get (like Seiken Densetsu 3 or Final Fantasy V).

As to op's question, I cannot imagine a reason to own a NWC. If they make you feel warm and fuzzy, then go for it! But...why would it do that? I cannot wrap my head around that part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    If we're going to cheat and do a PowerPak, there's no point then not to just go ahead and emulate everyone on the PC.
    Nonsense

You'd still be playing original code via original hardware with original controllers. People aren't sticking to their original systems instead of emulation just because of artwork on a cartridge casing, because they get a thrill over filling their bookcases with games, and because they feel giddy when they insert and remove a NES cartridge.

The primary purpose why classic gamer's stick to original hardware is that they're guaranteed that the experience when they're actually playing a game is correct since it's original hardware. The significance of where the code is residing as it's being played by the original hardware with a favorite controller in front of a tv is very unimportant to many of us.

And if the PowerPak is a "cheat" and defeats the point of playing NES software on an original console, what do you think the point is of purchasing a reproduction? It's no more legitimate than a PowerPak would be and it's just as much of a "cheat" as a PowerPak and just as easily substituted by emulation. If anything, it's more of a cheat since reproductions are usually copies of products completely out of reach to the average classic gamer, products that didn't even really exist back in the day like English translations of Japanese exclusive software, unreleased prototypes, etc. A PowerPak is not only useful for such specialties but also opens up the vast majority of the commercially released NES library to a PowerPak owner on original hardware (The benefits of which are numerous, even if someone owns a complete library).

If there's one reason to get this instead of a PowerPak beyond the novelty of owning the reproduction itself (And I think you'd discover that owning a PowerPak is not only much more useful but also much more neat), it's that it apparently utilizes physical DIP switches judging from this thread to select your settings.

I don't see how the PowerPak could truly substitute in this particular case.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-26-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Heh.

Since when has "rational thought" had anything to do with collecting in this (or any) hobby?

I think a lot of us wouldn't own half the stuff we do if we weighed how rational or sensible those purchases would ultimately be.

If it makes you feel good, buy it! If you can't afford it now vs. more legitimately important purchases (food, bills, etc.) then do it when you have the extra cash to spare!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    People aren't sticking to their original systems instead of emulation just because of artwork on a cartridge casing, because they get a thrill over filling their bookcases with games, and because they feel giddy when they insert and remove a NES cartridge.
    Speak for yourself, guy!

And if the PowerPak is a "cheat" and defeats the point of playing NES software on an original console, what do you think the point is of purchasing a reproduction? It's no more legitimate than a PowerPak would be and it's just as much of a "cheat" as a PowerPak and just as easily substituted by emulation. If anything, it's more of a cheat since reproductions are usually copies of products completely out of reach to the average classic gamer, products that didn't even really exist back in the day like English translations of Japanese exclusive software, unreleased prototypes, etc. A PowerPak is not only useful for such specialties but also opens up the vast majority of the commercially released NES library to a PowerPak owner on original hardware (The benefits of which are numerous, even if someone owns a complete library).
    I was being tongue-in-cheek by saying "cheat". :P

However, I still don't get the original feel by playing with a PowerPak. The menus, the endless selection on screen, I'm not saying it's not fun, but there is something special about holding the actual cart in your hands, something you tracked down or had since you were child, putting it in, and turning on the console. Plus, it's impressive. The PowerPak just doesn't give me that feel. At least with reproductions I do have something solid, a display piece in addition to the game. It feels like I got a game that's super rare.

As far as originally controllers and a TV with emulation, you can always get a USB adapter and USB to component cables and put a computer next to you. It's not the original hardware, but the feeling is the same - menu and digital games.

Of course, this isn't an objective position, but personal feelings. Everyone will react to their setups differently. Some love emulation, some love flash carts, some love reproductions, some can't stand any of that stuff, and they have to have the original NWC cart. I fall into the repro category.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax
    If it makes you feel good, buy it!
    That's a pretty rational argument right there. We only live for a brief amount of time. Not enjoying life wouldn't be a very wise move to make.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Speak for yourself, guy!
    I wasn't suggesting that was the case for everyone. But I'm quite sure that a major component for many a classic gamer in utilizing original hardware is to ensure the experience appearing on their screen and coming through their speakers when they're actually playing a game is authentic.

While I'm sure it's the case for some, the allure in going with original hardware for many of us doesn't start and end with the physical items that we can touch and hold.

...there is something special about holding the actual cart in your hands, something you tracked down or had since you were child, putting it in, and turning on the console.
    There's no doubt that that's part of the charm of classic gaming. That's why I think you will find that many people buying these reprogrammable multicarts are also holding on to their collections and still adding games to them.

As far as originally controllers and a TV with emulation, you can always get a USB adapter and USB to component cables and put a computer next to you. It's not the original hardware, but the feeling is the same - menu and digital games.
    And it's still emulation. There isn't a NES emulator out there anywhere close to being perfect.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    And it's still emulation. There isn't a NES emulator out there anywhere close to being perfect.
    Although I do not emulate, I really hope someone will soon get on this like byuu has for the SNES. One day, these carts will be no more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We will all be dead at that point so don't worry about it.