Thread: Step down transformer and Super Famicom question

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Step down transformer and Super Famicom question

I am confused please help me.

I have a Japanese SNES (Super Famicom) and am trying it play it here in UK. I have an AC 230V to DC 9V mains adaptor/power supply with an output 9V DC, 1.2A, center negative which came with it and connected it up to the console and plugged it directly to the mains. The console light turns on but there is no picture (which may be a connection to TV issue).

I want to know if this adapter is meant to be for the Super Famicom to be connected directly to UK mains or will I need to connect the adapter/console via a step down transformer to the mains? I hope I haven't damaged the console

Thanks in advance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why would you need any converter? Japan is 100 V and the UK is 230 V and you said the AC adapter was 230 V.

If you were trying to use the Japanese adapter, I would think you'd need a step up converter and not a step down converter. You'd have to take it from 110 V up to 230 V.

As long as it's putting putting out something close to the correct voltage, amperage, and is DC , I don't see why you'd have any issues as long as it accepts 230 V from the power grid.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-06-2010 at 03:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    If you were trying to use the Japanese adapter, I would think you'd need a step up converter and not a step down converter. You'd have to take it from 110 V up to 230 V.
    No, if you are using a Japanese adapter, that means the adapter needs 110v put into it. The wall outputs 230v, which is too much. You step it down:

Wall 230v---->step down adapter to 110v--->ac adapter wanting 110v--->system.

If you put a step up to 230v adapter into an outlet already outputting 230v, you are doing nothing.

If you have the UK power adapter that expects 230v, and you plugged it into the wall that pushes out 230v, you should be OK. Check your TV connections to be sure.

Though it is possible (I am not sure) that the European models are designed differently than the Japanese ones and as a result need a different power adapter.

You would have to compare the requirements of the European and Japanese models and see if maybe the Japanese one needs more amps. That would mean you need to get the Japanese power adapter, and the step-down method mentioned up there ^^^^. Or it needs less amps? (too many amps may damage the system?).

Either way you might just need the Japanese adapter, and a step down.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ContraGryzor View Post
    I am confused please help me.

I have a Japanese SNES (Super Famicom) and am trying it play it here in UK. I have an AC 230V to DC 9V mains adaptor/power supply with an output 9V DC, 1.2A, center negative which came with it and connected it up to the console and plugged it directly to the mains. The console light turns on but there is no picture (which may be a connection to TV issue).

I want to know if this adapter is meant to be for the Super Famicom to be connected directly to UK mains or will I need to connect the adapter/console via a step down transformer to the mains? I hope I haven't damaged the console

Thanks in advance
    If the console light powers on, then it sounds like it's a connection issue with the television. Silly question, but are you playing it on an NTSC television?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    No, if you are using a Japanese adapter, that means the adapter needs 110v put into it. The wall outputs 230v, which is too much. You step it down:
    You're right, not sure what I was thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For my Super Famicom, I generally use a early-generation Sega power supply. The Super Famicom requires 10v DC power, with a negative centre. This is symbolised by +---(o--- - (showing the negative centre).

I currently use a Sega Mega CD power supply, which outputs the correct, voltage, Amps (around 1 to 1.2amps should suffice for the Super Famicom) and has a negative centre.

This same Sega power supply also shipped with the Mega CD II, Mega Drive I and even some Master Systems. Alternatively, just go to an electronics store and buy yourself a 9/10 volt DC output power adapter with a plug that fits the SFC's DC input socket and can be set to negative polarity.

I have successfully run my SFC on 9 volts without issue, but the rated requirement is 10 volts.

DO NOT USE A PAL NES/SNES AC ADAPTER. These output in AC voltage, not DC. PAL NES and SNES's require AC voltage input. US SNES and Japanese Super Famicom require DC input. Your Super Famicom may appear to turn on when using an AC output power adapter, but you may get weird stuff happening on screen and your console's lifespan can probably be measured in minutes if you continue using it.

Sega power supplies for Master System, Mega Drive/Genesis and Mega CD/Sega CD all take DC type voltage, and all have negative centre plugs, making them useful in the short or long term, in my opinion.

EDIT: Determining voltage requirements for import consoles to be used on 200-240v outlets is something I have had a great deal of experience with, being an import gamer living in Australia.
    Last edited by dreamcaster; 06-07-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    You're right, not sure what I was thinking.
    its ok, Ive done the same thing before, lol.

it was followed by "what is that smell", due to things melting.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew