Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biggest success as a console?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    I don't know chief, I think I would prefer the actual thumbstick on a PSP over a frictiony touch screen.
    It's not frictiony. It's quite smooth in fact. The thumbstick on the PSP is pretty weak, and it breaks too.

I also think most people don't want an FPS on a 5" screen and that is why they aren't the big focus of handhelds.
    I agree, but if you're going to play an FPS on a handheld, iOS offers a better experience than PSP or DS.

Next, iPhone is best for VR Sims because of the touch interface being more realistic than a controller, right?
    It depends entirely. Some games the touch screen interface is perfect, others it absolutely sucks. Depends a bit more on the developer than the hardware though, as there are some pretty shitty implementations for FPS games and some very good ones, and the same goes for accelerometer use in racing games. I actually just stumbled on another genre it does very well - tower defense games. Pixel Junk Monsters is certainly very cool, but with a touch interface (or keyboard & mouse), it's a lot easier to make a good one.

Neither have you. Flid.
    I've played a small fraction of the games, and I have looked at all the titles coming out by major developers.

I've played enough games to know that if there is a ton more like what I DID play, then it isn't worth two fucks of my time.
    Your problem. You're unwilling to look at the games that are selling well or reviewed highly and are sticking to your opinion based on the few older games you played.

I will believe it when I see it for Crisis Core competitors. It's not a subjective claim. It's plain as day. I want to see a graphic intensive handheld action RPG with voice overs/cutscenes, and at least 20 hours of solid gameplay. Where is it. The stuff Square put on the iCrap is not very epic. Just because Square made it doesn't mean it can compete with it. Next you will tell me that the FF1 and FF2 ports are great and compete with Crisis Core right?
    You're just being stupid now. FF Tactics War of the Lions. Wait and see. PSP is losing devs and iOS is gaining them. Pretty soon you'll be seeing the odd 3rd party game for PSP and otherwise it's just exclusive PS devs and Sony making games.

iOS has 50 shooters. of the 50, 48 of them suck more man shaft than a back alley hooker on a saturday in July.
    You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

Citation needed.
    Only if you're too stupid to know how to use google.

Leave the statistical analysis to someone who isn't operating at <50% mental capacity.
    Clearly that's not you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doonzmore View Post
    I consider the N64 to be a success despite never getting a lead on the PS1. It may have had a smaller library compared to that system, but from what I remember whenever there was a new first party 64 release it would garner tons of attention and be talked about for months in the magazines.
    Possibly because there wasn't much else to talk about for the N64? I remember during 2007 some pretty shitty PS3 games were getting a lot of press simply because that's all there was out there. People were willing to play Super Rub A Dub because there wasn't anything new coming out. The moment a good game, like Warhawk, got released it got a ton of press.
    Again, the sales numbers may not have matched the PS1, but it hung on to the market for at least 5 years and the games are still widely known and cherished. I once heard someone compare it the Game Gear, which i think is way off the mark. The Game Gear never had a killer app like the N64.
    The GameGear had Sonic. 5 years is nothing compared to the PS1's 10 years. The majority of games that are widely known for the N64 are existing IPs from before it. SSB and Perfect Dark are the only newly created IPs that still get press on the N64.

Quote Originally Posted by Doonzmore View Post
    That's because now there's simply a much bigger craving and desire for the the quirky and obscure. Games like Space Station, while well reviewed in mags like EGM, didn't have the luxury of internet blogs and forums to stimulate interest and garner much attention back in 1998.
    While that's certainly a pity, the quirky games still aren't much of a case for the N64's success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The biggest gaming console success is a close match between NES, PS2, and.... probably Wii because of how well they sold, basically becoming a staple of every household.

How did a thread about the most successful console devolve into a pissing contest between N64 and PS1 (or Sega) fanboys?

N64 was great, and as a wrestling and arcade racing game fan, I enjoyed it alot more than PS1. But N64 is not even in the equation of the biggest success as a console.

Most "casual gamers" I knew of didn't like it, and PS1 was a much bigger mainstream success.

And its absurd to argue that Mario 64 didn't revolutionize 3D gaming, it's like saying Toy Story didn't revolutionize modern animation.
    Last edited by CelticJobber; 06-24-2010 at 04:56 AM.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    which is the biggest success, both handheld and home?
    Handheld: Game Master
    Home console: Super A'can

Whee!
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Insert Coin (Level 0) pepharytheworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The GameGear had Sonic. 5 years is nothing compared to the PS1's 10 years. The majority of games that are widely known for the N64 are existing IPs from before it. SSB and Perfect Dark are the only newly created IPs that still get press on the N64.
    You mean Sega Master System ports? Nintendo 64 had other new IPs that still get talked about, Banjo series, Cruis'n series, 1080° Snowboarding, and Turok. And if you consider Super Smash Bros. a new IP I can also say, Mario Party and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

It's not frictiony. It's quite smooth in fact. The thumbstick on the PSP is pretty weak, and it breaks too.
    After extended sessions, clammyhands sets in, and friction ensues.

What are you doing, playing pokey screen games for a few minutes and then running to the internet to report your findings?

I agree, but if you're going to play an FPS on a handheld, iOS offers a better experience than PSP or DS.
    nothing like being at the top of the shitpile. "Do you want kicked in the sack with a nike or a fila!?" "OH THE NIKE, ITS BETTER"

I've played a small fraction of the games, and I have looked at all the titles coming out by major developers.
    Define small fraction. I've played at least 100 games so far. None of them really got my shaft throbbing.

And to say that *I* haven't looked at major developers titles is misinformed as hell. Do you think you're the only person who can work the internet machine and access the googles for info?

Your problem. You're unwilling to look at the games that are selling well or reviewed highly and are sticking to your opinion based on the few older games you played.
    No, not really. I just played some new games about a month ago. Again you are rocking the misinformed nonsense. You should start a band dude...: Migo and the Misinformed!

Games that are "selling well" doesn't always make them good games. Madden sells well, and if that game was banned from existing, I wouldn't shed a tear.

You're just being stupid now. FF Tactics War of the Lions. Wait and see. PSP is losing devs and iOS is gaining them. Pretty soon you'll be seeing the odd 3rd party game for PSP and otherwise it's just exclusive PS devs and Sony making games.
    I said action-RPG and you give me tactics. Who is it that is being stupid here.

War of the Lions isn't an iPhone exclusive. It's also a remake of a PS1 game. It is becoming apparent that you love fapping to recycled games.

Show me something new. Fresh stuff. Like how Crisis Core did. I know it's going to be horribly hard for you since a CC-Killer doesn't exist for iLame.

Also stop saying iOS. It already existed before Apple and doing it makes you and everyone else doing it look even more moronic.

You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.
    You're right, I don't. I just pulled a number out of my ass because I really don't care about hamfisting a shooter on a screen the size of a little debbie snack cake.

Are there even two that are good? Im betting theres probably 0.

Only if you're too stupid to know how to use google.
    Put your money where your mouth is. Lets see you flex your google-fu. Otherwise we will assume you're too stupid. Not that some of us haven't been doing that already, lol.

Clearly that's not you.
    BEWARE. SRS E-SCHOLAR ON THE PROWL. You should know that rounding to significant digits doesn't always yield very good results, and that percentages of sales of systems doesn't always have the largest impact on the consoles success. Might want to look at the software sales too.

Or look at the fact that PS2 still has games coming out and GameCube/Xbox do not.

TOUGH CALL THERE, AMIRITE?
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Insert Coin (Level 0) pepharytheworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a prediction that Arkhan and migo through their arguements will slowly fall in love. At least thats how it is in the movies Migo will learn to love the N64, PSP and DS and Arkhan will accept the iPhone could be a viable gaming source. And they all lived happily ever after.
    Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Screw that. I trolled the local iPhone campers IRL.

lol

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Biggest success of a console in my opinion would be the Atari 2600,I mean the thing came out on October 14,1977 and was discontinued January 1, 1992. I mean when you think video games,you think Atari. Ask for handhelds,Gameboy.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

When I think of games with little point other than score attacks, I think Atari 2600.

Japan pioneered the "games with a purpose" concept.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say, by default, the biggest success of a console in history had to be the Magnavox Odyssey.
    And I'll tell you why.
    Before its launch in 1973, there had been absolutely no other product like it in history. The term "Video Game" was not yet even remotely a household term.
    And yet, they managed to sell 330,000 units to the public.
    In 1972, that's a decent sized install base, and a GREAT one for a brand spanking new technology.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    I mean when you think video games,you think Atari. Ask for handhelds,Gameboy.
    That all depends on the generation. Ask me, i'd say Nintendo (meaning NES) and the 2600 as I was playing with both then. Ask a generation later and you're getting the PlayStation, ask now and its Wii/360/PS3.

Biggest successes should be weighted in impact on the industry and the public adoption of them.

2600: Really making it something many had
    NES: Bringing it 'back' from where the last one left it
    PlayStation: Making it widespread and 'cool' to game
    PS2: The next big step forward while capitalizing on a new media format (DVD)
    XBox: The advent of an online network that is well supported and works, plus the break-in of a new kid on a rough and tumble block
    Wii: Making so that EVERYONE is playing
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stu is right, its a very subjective answer to this question and its not really comparing apples to apples as different consoles had different impacts, making such impacts hard to measure.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    XBox: The advent of an online network that is well supported and works, plus the break-in of a new kid on a rough and tumble block
    Well, technically the first console with a network almost out of the box was the Dreamcast, even if it only was supported for just a few months.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Its best selling game is Mario 64. That's not saying much as the first title with the word "Mario" in it for a Nintendo console will always sell like hotcakes.
    You haven't heard of Goldeneye then?

N64 was a straight up failure, although it came in 2nd place behind the PS1, although that generation was essentially all PS1.
    Did Nintendo go broke? No? Then it's a little silly to call the N64 a 'straight up failure' isn't it? You yourself said it came second to Playstation. There were other consoles around that time. N64 was many times more successful than them. just less successful than Sony...

here's a ranking from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ales_standings

notice how nintendo are 2nd out of seven contenders? As well, the biggest selling game out of those consoles is Super Mario 64, which pips Gran Turismo to first place. Definitely not a 'straight up failure'.

Oh, and my pick for most successful console would be the Atari 2600, because it elevated a company that was doing fine into a HUGE company. Sony was already a HUGE company when it launched the PS. Even so, the PS is my other pick for most successful console for reasons of total sales volume.
    Last edited by danny_galaga; 06-26-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by pepharytheworm View Post
    You mean Sega Master System ports? Nintendo 64 had other new IPs that still get talked about, Banjo series, Cruis'n series, 1080° Snowboarding, and Turok. And if you consider Super Smash Bros. a new IP I can also say, Mario Party and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Success

I would have to say it would be between the atari 2600 and the nes. Both are amazing consoles witha massive game libraries and loads of fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

The Most Successful Console Is The Internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That would be the center console in any car. I know way more people have these consoles than any game console I can think of. It appeals to all generations, has been around for a long time and won't be leaving the scene anytime soon.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Based on numbers, yeah its pretty obvious which consoles should get the nod.

I think this ignores just how powerful some consoles are culturally. In that regard, its hard to ignore both the NES, Gameboy, and Atari 2600. Quite literally everyone-even people who have never seen them in person, or played video games, young or old-knows what they are. Yes, both systems do have age on their side, but its till impossible to disregard the fact that these systems go way beyond gaming in their impact; they are both cultural icons that DEFINE the late 70's and 80's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
    In the past twenty years, here are the top 10 games in terms of critical acclaim.

Guess what's the top game? Guess the seventh top game? There's no GoldenEye in here, even.
    Goldeneye 007 received a 96 out of 100 on Metacritic. Seems like a pretty great video game to me. And guess what game *is* in your top 10 list? Perfect Dark for the N64.

I still say the NES was the most successful game console of all time. The insane number of third-party accessories (Power Glove, U-Force, Rock 'n' Roller, Super Controller, LaserScope, Miracle piano, etc.) attest to that...as do the two motion pictures that were made about it (Super Mario Bros. and The Wizard).
    Last edited by Rob2600; 06-28-2010 at 07:24 AM.