Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biggest success as a console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say, from a certain point of view, the Sega Genesis. Why? Because it paved the way for the multi-console "wars" we've grown so used to in recent years. Without the Genesis, Nintendo, or some other company, would completely dominate the market.
    Thanks to Sega, we have the diverse, dynamic industry we see today.
    Also, 16 million units is a respectable number.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The N64 is by no means the failure that you're making it out to be, Migo. The PSX just did really well, the best Nintendo could do was hold their ground. The problem is that Nintendo was still catering to gamers at the time, while Sony was heading toward "games for everybody." One increases sales volume, the other does not.

Nintendo knew what they were doing by avoiding optical storage. Developers just padded those big 700mb CDs with FMV, which hasn't been good for gaming at all. Final Fantasy VII is over 2GB, but the non-FMV content fits on one disc. The PSX succeeded because people wanted to watch cutscenes, which were still cool at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

n64 did just fine. It was the punch line of the late 90s for anyone who liked RPGs though.

PLEASE INSERT CARTRIDGE 2

ahwehahahahahwhfhewsfhahahaha

and then we continued to FFVII and Beyond the Beyond it up.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    So? I could market a cell phone as a spatula, it doesn't mean it is one.
    You'll never win this argument. Nintendo has already admitted that Apple's their #1 threat in the mobile gaming market. That's the end of the story.

Cause playing flash-esque games you can find for browsers for free is killer. I've got friends with the iPhone. I've played a ton of the games. I then laughed at a ton of the games.

There is a word for the iPhone gamers:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flid
    You won't have the last laugh. A better port of Final Fantasy 1 and 2 than you'll find elsewhere since RPGs are better suited to a mouse or touch interface anyway. Street Fighter 4. First person shooters like NOVA that actually work. Dual analog shooters galore. iOS is a far more viable gaming platform than the PSP, and wins out over the DS in a lot of areas too.

remember when they said the iPhone/iPod Touch had more entertainment titles than the PSP and DS? and then acted like they were pioneering shit because psp and ds didn't have an APP STORE!? iPod/iPhone gaming is marketed at ignorant dinguses, like all of apples products.
    Oh I remember, and they were right. Even if 90% of the games are crap, with the 10% of good games they still have more than the PSP and DS have titles combined.

"WERE CUTTING EDGE. WE DO WHAT NOONE ELSE IS DOING" <<<< lol except they arent!
    They do it a lot better, just look at the abortion that is the PSPGo. At least Nintendo kept backwards compatibility with the DSi and are working into it.

You know most of those games that are selling are games like ROCKET FART.
    This is a myth that's already been disproven numerous times.

The only thing Apple has succeeded at is convincing the idiots of the world that they are the elite.
    No different from Sony a while back. Except right now Apple's providing what people want, while Sony's trying to push their proprietary crap. The PS1, PS2 and PS3 somehow avoided it entirely, but the PSP, and pretty much every other Sony product got loaded up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    The N64 is by no means the failure that you're making it out to be, Migo. The PSX just did really well, the best Nintendo could do was hold their ground.
    They didn't hold ground, they lost ground. They went from 50 million with the SNES to 30 million with the N64.

The problem is that Nintendo was still catering to gamers at the time, while Sony was heading toward "games for everybody." One increases sales volume, the other does not.
    I'm a gamer, I don't see any games that particularly cater to me. Sure the Star Wars fighter games were fun, but not enough to buy a system for.

Nintendo knew what they were doing by avoiding optical storage.
    Not entirely - you can get major losses if a game doesn't sell in the volume you expect. CDs the cost to make the product is minimal, while with a cartridge it's quite high.

Developers just padded those big 700mb CDs with FMV, which hasn't been good for gaming at all.
    It created new experiences. Now with the PS3 we can have the same or better quality covered with the in game engine, but it was a decent stop gap until technology moved that far.

Final Fantasy VII is over 2GB, but the non-FMV content fits on one disc. The PSX succeeded because people wanted to watch cutscenes, which were still cool at the time.
    It's amazing how providing people what they actually want drives sales.....

Nintendo had to throw in the towel with cartridges because people don't want them for home gaming systems. They had to throw in the towel on their controller too - nobody ever copied it, while everyone's pretty much going after the DualShock design.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Auto-Fox View Post
    I'd say, from a certain point of view, the Sega Genesis. Why? Because it paved the way for the multi-console "wars" we've grown so used to in recent years. Without the Genesis, Nintendo, or some other company, would completely dominate the market.
    Thanks to Sega, we have the diverse, dynamic industry we see today.
    Also, 16 million units is a respectable number.
    I think Sony would have still come in. They entered the gaming market because Nintendo screwed them over, and that would have happened either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    Nintendo had to throw in the towel with cartridges because people don't want them for home gaming systems. They had to throw in the towel on their controller too - nobody ever copied it, while everyone's pretty much going after the DualShock design.
    The N64 controller's analog stick and Rumble Pak are what caused Sony to make the Dual Shock in the first place.

So yeah, Sony didn't copy anything. You're right once again. Keep batting 1.000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

You'll never win this argument. Nintendo has already admitted that Apple's their #1 threat in the mobile gaming market. That's the end of the story.
    I have to agree on that. I read articles that Iwata had claimed that.

They didn't hold ground, they lost ground. They went from 50 million with the SNES to 30 million with the N64.
    I think NayusDante was talking about that particular generation ("32/64 bit" era-1995 to 1999ish) they held ground, not in their overall standing. They were solid second place between the PS1 and the Saturn.

I'm a gamer, I don't see any games that particularly cater to me. Sure the Star Wars fighter games were fun, but not enough to buy a system for.
    So you don't like shooters (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, the Turok games, Quake 2, a great version of Doom), wrestling (THQ's/AKI's awesome WCW vs NWO and the later Wrestlemania 2K and WWF No Mercy-those games are classic and IMO there has never been a better series of wrestling games), racing (Beetle Adventure Racing, Excitebike 64 [Jim Rivers!], Top Gear Rally, San Francisco Rush, F-Zero X, Diddy Kong Racing), platformers (Yoshi's Story, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Jet Force Gemini, Mischief Makers, Donkey Kong 64), or even quirky games like Space Station Silicon Valley, Blast Corps or Tetrisphere? Note I avoided the "money making names" like Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, etc.

The N64 had a pretty diverse library of games (though was a bit heavy on the racers), so what are you saying that the exclusive titles weren't your cup of tea or just in general?

When you say "DualShock design", are you saying that people were going for 2 sticks on a controller or essentially "clones" of the controller? I'm assuming 2 sticks, which I'll give you but both the Gamecube and the Xbox controllers featured "staggered" sticks (left stick higher than the right) for more comfort.

As for Nintendo throwing in the towel on controllers: you're talking the N64 controller, right? N64 controller was unique and got nailed to the wall by many. Personally I loved it-most comfortable controller I ever used. It was really designed for 3D gaming (like platformers). If I'm not mistaken, the original DualShock came AFTER the N64 launched AND after the Rumble Pak came out (1998 in America compared to 1996 and 1997 respectively). So Sony obviously sucked off Nintendo's idea, combined the technologies and added a stick. Funny, though, how Sony is doing it again almost exactly with Playstation Move .

Sales wise, the N64 wasn't the best out of Nintendo's historic stable, but it influenced the market with its games and concepts over the next two generations and created standards. Analog control, rumble, 4 controller ports, an emphasis on multiplayer gaming, game style (Z targeting, which I think got dissed in this thread, got adopted by a LOT of third-person adventure games since OoT).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just going to say that the migo's tastes must be pretty much esoteric AND exclusive. I already wanted to buy an N64 with just GoldenEye. N64, even without the Mario and Zelda franchises, had a lot of great games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) pepharytheworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
    I'm just going to say that the migo's tastes must be pretty much esoteric AND exclusive. I already wanted to buy an N64 with just GoldenEye. N64, even without the Mario and Zelda franchises, had a lot of great games.
    Agreed. Loves Apple, hates N64.
    Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

N64 was far from a failure, I think as a whole its games are more memorable as a whole to the ps1/n64 generation, although the ps1 sold more units. Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong 64, Those games have a much longer lasting memory than any ps1 titles.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

That's the same as admitting that the majority of the population is mental. Nintendo DOES have to be worried about mass-idiocy. People like OMGSHINEYNEWTHING, and thats what Apples "doing". Idiots can be threats too. I mean shit, you give a chimp a loaded gun, and hes now a threat!

You won't have the last laugh. A better port of Final Fantasy 1 and 2 than you'll find elsewhere since RPGs are better suited to a mouse or touch interface anyway. Street Fighter 4. First person shooters like NOVA that actually work. Dual analog shooters galore. iOS is a far more viable gaming platform than the PSP, and wins out over the DS in a lot of areas too.
    SWEET. Lets buy expensive phones to play a game from 1987. AWESOME. Another Final Fantasy 1 and 2 port. APPLES OUT OF CONTROL WITH ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE MAN. WHATS NEXT, CHIPS CHALLENGE AND COMMANDER KEEN? HOW ABOUT JEZZBALL AND SKI FREE.

I don't know about you, but tile-based RPGs aren't really cool with mice/touch interfaces. You have to poke around all damn day. Screw that jive. Play the Vay port for Iphone. It was cool for about an hour and then it was tiresome and left me longing for a dpad.

and, lol. Street Fighter 4 for the iPhone. Give me a break. everyones phones will be a smudged up mess of failed shoryukens. Followed by flying iPhones when some dick online just spams fireballs with Akuma all day because its the only thing he can manage to hamfist on the piece of crap.

FPS on all handhelds blow. Metroid Prime Hunters? huduhdrrr? Can you imagine playing a dual analog shooter on a touch screen? Cause I sure can't. You'll just be smearing your thumbs around all day like a dumbass while intelligent people are playing on a real console, or a computer.

the OS isn't a more viable gaming platform than the DS or the PSP. That is just stupid. You're high. Let me know when GOOD commercial games start coming out that compete with the likes of the DS and PSP library, and we will talk. I want to see a Crisis Core competitor, and a Pokemon competitor. I don't think it is going to happen, guy.

Oh I remember, and they were right. Even if 90% of the games are crap, with the 10% of good games they still have more than the PSP and DS have titles combined.
    So you have to wade through piles of shit, to get to the not-so-shit shit? Sweet.

They do it a lot better, just look at the abortion that is the PSPGo. At least Nintendo kept backwards compatibility with the DSi and are working into it.
    the PSPGo is the Sony iPhone! Whats the problem? Its the same concept as the iDisasters that you are wanking to as you post! Biased toolery much? If they stuck a big shiney apple on it, you would love it forever, yeah?

Cutting Edge would imply something innovative. Not something deceptive, and elitist.

No different from Sony a while back. Except right now Apple's providing what people want, while Sony's trying to push their proprietary crap. The PS1, PS2 and PS3 somehow avoided it entirely, but the PSP, and pretty much every other Sony product got loaded up with it.
    Got loaded up with what? Good games, and relatively cheap portable media experiences without having to be locked into horse shit like apple?

What games make the iPhone worth buying then, you crazy gamer you!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    The N64 controller's analog stick and Rumble Pak are what caused Sony to make the Dual Shock in the first place.

So yeah, Sony didn't copy anything. You're right once again. Keep batting 1.000.
    The N64 controller had a retarded analog stick in the middle design. Sony added rumble and analog, but they came with a design that lasted for 3 console generations and has been copied by everybody (including Nintendo with a small tweak for the GC controller and quite blatantly with the Wii Classic controller, and Microsoft with the Xbox/360 controller, again with the minor tweak of changing the left analog position). Nintendo created a winner with the NES design, and improved on it with the SNES design, and completely fucked with it for the N64 and hasn't really found their ground for a good controller since.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I think NayusDante was talking about that particular generation ("32/64 bit" era-1995 to 1999ish) they held ground, not in their overall standing. They were solid second place between the PS1 and the Saturn.
    The Saturn was barely in the race, I mean technically the N64 wasn't last place, but if you round the numbers, they're tied for last place. They got the certain number of sales they were guaranteed to get just by releasing a product, but had they been like Sega and not had anything else to fall back on, the N64 and GC might have kicked them out of the console business. It's the GameBoy and DS that kept them alive.

So you don't like shooters (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, the Turok games, Quake 2, a great version of Doom),
    I love shooters, but they suck on all iterations for consoles. Keyboard and mouse is the only way to play them. Turok, Quake, Doom, I played all of them - on Windows.
    wrestling (THQ's/AKI's awesome WCW vs NWO and the later Wrestlemania 2K and WWF No Mercy-those games are classic and IMO there has never been a better series of wrestling games),
    OK, nope, I don't care one bit about wrestling games.

racing (Beetle Adventure Racing, Excitebike 64 [Jim Rivers!], Top Gear Rally, San Francisco Rush, F-Zero X, Diddy Kong Racing),
    Going up against Gran Turismo and Wipeout.... hmmm. Excitebike and F-Zero are the only recognisable names there to me, and they were games I played on the GameBoy and SNES... nothing significant there.

platformers (Yoshi's Story, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Jet Force Gemini, Mischief Makers, Donkey Kong 64),
    I like platformers, but I strongly prefer them in 2D. 3D platformers were an interesting experiment, but I just don't feel it was the medium for them.

or even quirky games like Space Station Silicon Valley, Blast Corps or Tetrisphere?
    I quite love Quirky games, one of the reasons I'm fond of the PS3 this generation, but it's not like I heard of any of those when the N64 was out. It was Doom 64, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Zelda - they were the ones people were talking about. I'd bet you'd need to already have an N64 and be looking for more games to play to notice the last ones you just listed.

Note I avoided the "money making names" like Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, etc.
    Yeah, and each one of those IPs was started on the NES and GameBoy. Those games speak more to their respective success than to the N64s.

The N64 had a pretty diverse library of games (though was a bit heavy on the racers), so what are you saying that the exclusive titles weren't your cup of tea or just in general?
    The ones I heard about, and the ones my friends with N64s played. Really the only N64 games that appealed to me at all were the X-Wing games, and that's just not enough to buy a system for (not that I was in a position to at the time anyway).

When you say "DualShock design", are you saying that people were going for 2 sticks on a controller or essentially "clones" of the controller? I'm assuming 2 sticks, which I'll give you but both the Gamecube and the Xbox controllers featured "staggered" sticks (left stick higher than the right) for more comfort.
    2 sticks specifically, but the staggered stick design is also pretty close. I actually find the symmetrical layout is more comfortable, as I always get cramps in my left hand with the Xbox 360 but never my right.

As for Nintendo throwing in the towel on controllers: you're talking the N64 controller, right? N64 controller was unique and got nailed to the wall by many. Personally I loved it-most comfortable controller I ever used. It was really designed for 3D gaming (like platformers). If I'm not mistaken, the original DualShock came AFTER the N64 launched AND after the Rumble Pak came out (1998 in America compared to 1996 and 1997 respectively). So Sony obviously sucked off Nintendo's idea, combined the technologies and added a stick. Funny, though, how Sony is doing it again almost exactly with Playstation Move .
    The thing that sony did though is they figured out a much more logical and long lasting design. Yeah, they took inspiration from it, but they did far less copying of the N64 controller than Nintendo did of the DualShock with the GameCube controller.

Sales wise, the N64 wasn't the best out of Nintendo's historic stable, but it influenced the market with its games and concepts over the next two generations and created standards. Analog control, rumble, 4 controller ports, an emphasis on multiplayer gaming, game style (Z targeting, which I think got dissed in this thread, got adopted by a LOT of third-person adventure games since OoT).
    OK, I'll give you that, particularly the analog control. Rumble I'm not so sure about as it's really more of a gimicky feature compared to force feedback joysticks.

Quote Originally Posted by pepharytheworm View Post
    Agreed. Loves Apple, hates N64.
    No, I quite hate Apple, but I can't deny that they have a really solid portable gaming platform.

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    N64 was far from a failure, I think as a whole its games are more memorable as a whole to the ps1/n64 generation, although the ps1 sold more units. Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong 64, Those games have a much longer lasting memory than any ps1 titles.
    Compared to Final Fantasy 7, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Tekken and Metal Gear Solid?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    That's the same as admitting that the majority of the population is mental. Nintendo DOES have to be worried about mass-idiocy. People like OMGSHINEYNEWTHING, and thats what Apples "doing". Idiots can be threats too. I mean shit, you give a chimp a loaded gun, and hes now a threat!
    So I'd guess you're a big PSP fan since it's taking a thrashing from both the DS and iOS, and since you can't claim that the DS isn't a real hardcore gaming system as was said when it launched you're spewing the same about iOS. GTA Chinatown Wars, Alpha Protocol, Splinter Cell Conviction, Assassin's Creed - all major titles that are on iOS. Saying iOS isn't a gaming platform is the same as saying Windows isn't a gaming platform.

SWEET. Lets buy expensive phones to play a game from 1987. AWESOME. Another Final Fantasy 1 and 2 port. APPLES OUT OF CONTROL WITH ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE MAN. WHATS NEXT, CHIPS CHALLENGE AND COMMANDER KEEN? HOW ABOUT JEZZBALL AND SKI FREE.
    Actually, a lot of games from the old days that are exclusively a single gameplay element, like Circus Atari or Pac-Man are a lot of fun. Nobody would pay big dollars for them, but at 99 cents, or free, they're certainly worth it. That's something iOS has that neither the DS or PSP can offer, and one of the reasons it's doing so well. It's like Nintendo's blue ocean strategy with the Wii of targetting regular people with party games, sure it's debatable how much of a hardcore gaming system it is, but it does get its share of hardcore games (like Okami and Xenoblade), and it's not debatable that it is a gaming system, nor that it's a successful gaming system.

I don't know about you, but tile-based RPGs aren't really cool with mice/touch interfaces. You have to poke around all damn day. Screw that jive.
    Final Fantasy works much better with touch than a controller. Diablo II I find a bit iffy with mouse, but Oblivion is a hell of a lot better on PC than console. Baldur's Gate is really solid with keyboard and mouse, BGA for PS2 certainly does a good transition to console, but overall a point and select interface works better.

Play the Vay port for Iphone. It was cool for about an hour and then it was tiresome and left me longing for a dpad.
    There are certainly games that are unplayable or tiresome on iOS. Secret of Monkey Island was poorly ported. Bomberman is completely unplayable. Sonic and Giana Sisters are OK, but then there are games like NOVA, Skies of Glory, Street Fighter IV, GTA Chinatown Wars, Flight Control, Civilization Revolution, Final Fantasy, Dizzy Pad, Spider the Secret of Bryce Manor, Snake Galaxy, Plants vs Zombies, Alive 4-Ever, Siberian Strike, Pix'n Love Rush, Zen Bound, and many, many more that are a lot of fun. Hell, thanks to Sony's retardedness and not including a second analog stick on the PSP iOS is the ONLY device viable for dual analog stick shooters.

and, lol. Street Fighter 4 for the iPhone. Give me a break. everyones phones will be a smudged up mess of failed shoryukens.
    Check out the Neo-Geo forum. Plenty of people assumed it would be unplayable, but everyone who tried it actually liked it. And I can nail Shoryukens on SFIV on iOS much easier than I can on SFII for SNES or even SFIV on PS3 with a DualShock controller (arcade stick is another matter entirely, and blows everything else out of the water, but with the exception of the Neo Geo Pocket there isn't anything even close for handhelds).

Followed by flying iPhones when some dick online just spams fireballs with Akuma all day because its the only thing he can manage to hamfist on the piece of crap.
    People spam fireballs on Street Fighter anyway, that's all anyone does and that has been the case since 1994, it's not something new on iOS.

FPS on all handhelds blow. Metroid Prime Hunters? huduhdrrr?
    Metroid Prime Hunters was pretty bad, but it was played with touch screen and D-Pad.

Can you imagine playing a dual analog shooter on a touch screen? Cause I sure can't.
    The problem is you think dual analog sticks is remotely viable for First Person Shooters. As a PC Gamer, I know better, and iOS comes closer to a PC like experience of first person shooters than any console has before, look behaves the same way it does with a mouse, so it works far better than anything you'd play on a PS2 or Xbox.

You'll just be smearing your thumbs around all day like a dumbass while intelligent people are playing on a real console, or a computer.
    Intelligent people don't even suggest a console for an FPS. On a handheld a keyboard and mouse isn't an option, and iOS is the best option given what's available.

the OS isn't a more viable gaming platform than the DS or the PSP. That is just stupid. You're high. Let me know when GOOD commercial games start coming out that compete with the likes of the DS and PSP library, and we will talk.
    LMAO! I already did, you just haven't bothered looking for them.

I want to see a Crisis Core competitor, and a Pokemon competitor. I don't think it is going to happen, guy.
    It'll happen, there's FF Tactics War of the Lions coming out for iOS, and Square has already experimented with Chaos Rings. It'll happen. Square's developing full featured, modern games for iOS, it doesn't even need a competitor, give it a bit more time and you'll actually see Crisis Core on it.

So you have to wade through piles of shit, to get to the not-so-shit shit? Sweet.
    As opposed to the PSP, which is also mostly shit but has a fraction of the total titles and far less good games. Sure, it'd be nice if all the games were good, but no successful system ever manages to escape the crap games. Neo Geo Pocket Color and Dreamcast are both regarded as having largely free of crap libraries, but neither system was successful.

the PSPGo is the Sony iPhone! Whats the problem? Its the same concept as the iDisasters that you are wanking to as you post! Biased toolery much? If they stuck a big shiney apple on it, you would love it forever, yeah?
    It's not the Sony iPhone. iOS has games that max out at $10, and most are in the $1-$4 range. The PSPGo has a fraction of the titles that the PSP has, costs more than the PSP, and even though you download them they cost just as much as the hard copies. Not to mention that the same games on PSP as iOS cost more than twice as much. The PSPGo is a failure for the same reason the GameBoy Micro was, too expensive for what you get and less features than an already existing system by the same company.

Cutting Edge would imply something innovative. Not something deceptive, and elitist.
    I never said anything about it being cutting edge, but multitouch capacitive screens are pretty innovative, while nothing about the PSP is. Nintendo isn't elitist, but Sony certainly is, and they've only learned to be more humble now that they're not dominating in any market. Certainly Apple users are quite elitist as well, and nobody's more arrogant than Steve Jobs, but you're even worse than pro-Apple fanboys by trying to claim iOS isn't viable for anything.

Got loaded up with what? Good games, and relatively cheap portable media experiences without having to be locked into horse shit like apple?
    Relatively cheap my ass. The PSP has been horribly expensive from the start and only recently come to a reasonable price. It got saddled with UMD which was a stupid idea from the start, and MemoryStick which is just unnecessarily expensive and offers nothing over CF or SD. Watching movies on the PSP was an utter fail, and with the PSP you're locked into horse shit with MemoryStick and UMD. The DS is relatively cheap, the PSP isn't. It also has a serious lack of good games. There's barely anything worth getting on the PSP that you can't get better on the PS3. If you insist on having everything Sony, sure, go for it, but right now the best options for gaming, depending on your preference are either Windows 7 and PS3 for home and iPod touch 3G and DSi for handheld.

What games make the iPhone worth buying then, you crazy gamer you!
    Plenty, which I've already named, plus the fact that at the price you pay for games on iOS, you're paying hardly more than the cost of hardware, whereas even with the PSP Favourites special, with just 10 games you've run yourself up another $100. You can load yourself up with a large number of games just for free by waiting for specials where they discount them, and otherwise you're spending $1 for the game. If you restrict yourself to only one purchase per month on iOS you can stick to $12 over the year, whereas on the PSP you're at a minimum of $120, and that's only now after they launched the Favourites. Before that the price was trippled. iPod touches can be had for cheaper than PSPs on craigslist too, so if you've got a budget it's far easier to stay under it with an iPod touch than with the PSP. That's the same reason the DS/i is slaughtering the PSP, it's cheaper to buy outright and the games for it are cheaper.

Insert Coin (Level 0) pepharytheworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aghhhh! Quote alert! I don't even know whats going on anymore. I must add that the Gamecube controller was based on the Hori N64 controller more than anything else. It has more in common with the Dreamcast controller than the PS1. And the PS1 controller is based heavily off the SNES controller, same for the classic controller

To get us back on track somewhat:
    The Virtualboy was a "success" at being a "failure".
    Last edited by pepharytheworm; 06-22-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, the tl;dr version:

iOS is a gaming platform the same way Windows is. If you want to argue it's not a console for the same reason PCs aren't considered them that's one thing (although it's not the same argument since the iPhone/iPod touch revisions are rather like the Xbox 360 revisions more so than the wide range of customisability on a PC), and it's certainly successful.

The N64 thread can't be tl;dr

Back to the original topic, I'm leaning towards in the home console market the PS1 being the most successful. It sold the most consoles to date when it was current, and backwards compatibility with the PS1 led to the PS2 being incredibly popular, so not only did it succeed in its own generation, it succeeded into the next. The PS1 also did this going up against the juggernaught that was Nintendo at the time, and took the title away. The NES by comparison, while it set Nintendo up to last through 3 decades and still be going strong had virtually no competition, and even though it had a stranglehold on the market with restrictive licensing deals, it couldn't hold that lead, losing marketshare from the NES to SNES days, and Nintendo's licensing practices likely lead to their strained developer relations which damaged their dominance later on, so part success but a dose of failure there.

The GameBoy would be the most successful by the same criteria, when it launched it was up against the Lynx, GameGear and Turbo Express, so it had some fairly stiff competition initially, but it lasted through the first wave, and then handled the second one with the NeoGeo Pocket and the WonderSwan. The DS while selling more did so later on when people had more money, and would also buy multiples (in all likelihood when the GameBoy was selling you might have one per family, while now you'd have one DS for each child, and several people would collect multiple models and would go from the DS to DS Lite, whereas when the Pocket came out, if you had the GameBoy you'd stick with it, and the Pocket would be a benefit to someone who comes in late). The DS also came in after the GBA had no real competition and they had total market dominance, which was created by the GameBoy. Total sales it's a bit different, but looking at how difficult it was in each generation, and adjusting for population growth I think that's pretty reasonable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    3D polygon games weren't standard until Super Mario 64.
    It's pretty ridiculous to attribute the shift to 3D polygonal graphics down to one game. Mario 64 was the template that many 3D platformers followed, but it's not the reason games went 3D.

In any case, Playstation was the system that made polygonal 3D standard for most people, by the sheer virtue of it selling the most units by far. And even before N64 launched, I think more PSX owners were playing games like Resident Evil, WipEout, Ridge Racer, Tekken, and Destruction Derby, than any of the 2D games for the system, except Rayman.
    Last edited by j_factor; 06-22-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Considering that the Wii didn't have a good game for quite some time and people still bought it, it's cheaply made, and Nintendo rarely developed anything for it. I'd say that the Wii is the biggest success.

Also. Top five with sales starting from the highest. Taken from http://www.vgchartz.com/hardware_totals.php

Sony Playstation 2
    Nintendo DS
    Nintendo Gameboy
    Sony Playstation
    Nintendo Wii
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Migo
    I love shooters, but they suck on all iterations for consoles. Keyboard and mouse is the only way to play them. Turok, Quake, Doom, I played all of them - on Windows.
    K&M is only way to go, yet you say the touchscreen is going to be the bees knees.

Pick a side, dingus.

I like DS and PSP. I do not like iPhone games. I've played plenty of them to know it's not really worth my time.

The thing has no Crisis Core competitor. No pokemon competitor.

If they already did better on iPhone, tell me the name of the game then.

bejeweled doesn't count.
    Last edited by Arkhan; 06-22-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to put Migo's name in the quotebox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    It's pretty ridiculous to attribute the shift to 3D polygonal graphics down to one game. Mario 64 was the template that many 3D platformers followed, but it's not the reason games went 3D.

In any case, Playstation was the system that made polygonal 3D standard for most people, by the sheer virtue of it selling the most units by far. And even before N64 launched, I think more PSX owners were playing games like Resident Evil, WipEout, Ridge Racer, Tekken, and Destruction Derby, than any of the 2D games for the system, except Rayman.
    Not 3D polygon graphics, but platform/action/adventure games that take place in 3D free-roaming worlds.

Out of all the PlayStation games you listed - Resident Evil, WipEout, Ridge Racer, Tekken, and Destruction Derby - none of them were 3D free-roaming platform games. But after Super Mario 64 was released, the market was suddenly flooded with them: Spyro, Gex, Croc, Glover, 40 Winks, Ape Escape, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Rayman 2, Shadow Man, and even Mega Man and Castlevania.

For better or worse, Super Mario 64 single-handedly destroyed 2D gaming. As a result of that one game, 3D games became the standard for everyone.

I love shooters, but they suck on all iterations for consoles.
    And once again, you've proven that nothing you post should be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 06-22-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems he hasn't even played GoldenEye on N64. I've played Syphon Filter and a lot of shooters on the PS, but nothing ever beat GoldenEye, and I'm not even a gamer.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread was doomed from the start, with no set definition of success to go by. We have a few posts that point out the sales statistics, which are hard facts, and then we have three pages of arguing over ideological successes, which are opinions. Half of it is the OP arguing his opinions as facts, when the thread asked for opinions. Whether a console has games in genres you like determines how successful it was? That's interesting logic, which brings me to an important lesson I've learned:

Quote Originally Posted by migo
    The Saturn was barely in the race, I mean technically the N64 wasn't last place, but if you round the numbers, they're tied for last place.
    Now I know that 32.93 rounds down to 9.5. The Saturn did just as well as the N64! I've been using bad arithmetic all these years...