Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon: Retro Console Epic Disaster (2015-2016)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flamdini View Post

Your point?
    my point is that you are fucking drunk on snake oil.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Herb Tarlek's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Which nation?
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, this will probably be my last post because I had underestimated just how stoogey this board actually was. Later.

Alrighty then Mike. You had a good thing going with your Gamegavel and Retro Magazine ventures, but you can only milk the retro gaming community so much. You should just admit that you don't have the first idea about how to actually put out a piece of hardware, and stop trying to pull off what has become an increasingly pathetic scam. No one is going to give you any benefit of the doubt anymore, and it is especially laughable that you think we will fall for this shill account that you have made. Before the Toy Show convention, we could have at least said you were just a naive fool with your head in a cloud, but it is pretty clear now that you are wilfully trying to scam people. When Coleco Holdings inevitably pulls your funding, you better hope they don't sue your ass for trying to misrepresent your hardware displays.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

They're hardly "some of the most obvious fakes imaginable". This thing is much further along than, say, the Phantom.
    By "Phantom", I assume you mean the Infinium Phantom? THIS Infinium Phantom where an ACTUAL (not faked) prototype was discovered last year?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    You don't know enough to sat that. Every single component on every pcb is specific in both placement and function. The capacitors are holding charge to keep specific nearby components functioning properly. The resistors are regulating the flow of electricity to keep the current within acceptable range. Edge connectors exist to allow connection to other components, and so on. A console pcb and a capture card perform far too different functions to share that many components and placement. It's not jumping to a conclusion in this case. It's a factual observation that the pcb in that shell is in no way a console pcb.

The burden of proof on a project like this is on the development team trying to use these fakes to build funding and business partnerships, and it would be the simplest thing in the world for them to take five minutes and shoot photos of the functioning prototype from multiple angles and upload them. It would take literally less than five minutes to shut the whole world up. They don't because they can't. They can't deny that the new prototype contains a capture card. They can't deny that the toy fair unit was a Super Nintendo, because that's what they are. It's not up for debate, so they don't debate it. They delete, skirt the issue, and say, "just wait, it's going to be awesome."

What would have been awesome would have been not using fraudulent materials to try and build a business. People would have waited. People wanted to believe, and to support this project. The backlash is so vehement because of the flippant disregard for the intelligence of the potential backers to insultingly think that none of us were going to recognize the problems with the hardware. Retro gaming enthusiasts repair broken hardware. We rebuild arcade pcbs and cabinets. We flash roms to replace corrupted ones, we remove lockout chips, and we build gaming PCs. This tech isn't a mystery. It's stuff people recognize because they are familiar with it. Your lack of familiarity does not make them wrong. You're choosing to ignore it because you don't understand it or just so badly want it to all be real that you're ostensibly closing your eyes, putting your hands over your ears, and singing the national anthem.
    Well OK genius, why don't you take the PCB and plug it in and watch it be a capture card? You seem to know everything. Keep in mind how hard people had to look to find a match. I hate to put it so bluntly, but a very large portion of people on boards like this and AtariAge are immature and insociable cretins.

Quote Originally Posted by triverse View Post
    I don't know anymore than anyone else posting on this, none of us were there, but I am currently interviewing John Carlsen and will have the interview available sooner than later. I brought up the cost of the system originally, the infamous YouTube video, etc and well, it is not what we were led to believe. Take that as you will because at the end of the day, it is the word of each against the other. The point is, Mr. Carlsen breaks his silence soon.
    I'll be watching. I'll also be doubting; there's no way a regular old console could tally up to $300, at the very least I believe Kennedy's claims that Carlsen drove the price up by adding a bunch of extra crap. If anything, two versions of the same story will AT LEAST give us more insight.

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    By "Phantom", I assume you mean the Infinium Phantom? THIS Infinium Phantom where an ACTUAL (not faked) prototype was discovered last year?
    Same one that faked a prototype at E3.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Well OK genius, why don't you take the PCB and plug it in and watch it be a capture card? You seem to know everything. Keep in mind how hard people had to look to find a match. I hate to put it so bluntly, but a very large portion of people on boards like this and AtariAge are immature and insociable cretins.

I'll be watching. I'll also be doubting; there's no way a regular old console could tally up to $300, at the very least I believe Kennedy's claims that Carlsen drove the price up by adding a bunch of extra crap. If anything, two versions of the same story will AT LEAST give us more insight.

If the "prototype" were in my possession, I gladly would turn it on, take pictures, and put an end to all of this nonsense. It didn't take forum members much "hard work" at all. It looked like a capture card, so they started Googling capture card images. Thanks for calling me a genius, though. I'll make sure to walk around with false bravado all day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Whoa Flamdini slow your roll. I get what you're pissed, but try and understand you just signed up, and all you're doing is pointing out how everyone is on the murder mike internet gang bang against his project trying to defend him. Admirable, but think about it, it looks pretty damning to sign up and only protest the other side on a thread like this no matter which site it may be. To get hot and throw out the classic 'I should have figured the site sucked even more' type line does no favors either.

You could in theory be right, it could be wrong, hell it oculd be that in the box wired to a board under to capture info or it could be in there to cover up the real board since all they had was a clear shell. No one knows but those on the inside who have a NDA related to hardware, not the games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's just beating a dead horse at this point. Haha, point and laugh. Pile it on. Cool thing to do. We get it.

Retrogame community is vicious, they should have predicted that, just from browsing forums or youtube comments. Not sure how it started as a love letter to the old school gamers, yet did a complete 180 in the process, and pissed them off?

I get the feeling no type of retro console like this could ever exist. Probably because the intended audience is so fickle and vitriol, the manufacturer would literally have to fed ex blowjobs to kickstart supporters just to ease their minds. Yet, Sony and M$ could literally put a broken piece of equipment in a pretty box, and y'all flock to that shit like green flies?

Whatever, whatever. Soflomike did this and that. Yeah, yeah. Phony prototypes. Phony talk. Blah, blah. Ok. They failed. We get it. If I hear one more philosophical comment from some business minded gamer who thinks he knows everything, my head will explode.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I guess it wasn't your last post after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does Digital Press plan on continuing their affiliation with Game Gavel as seen on the home page?
    VectorGamer.com
    YouTube: TheRetrocade
    @RealVectorGamer

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I hate to put it so bluntly, but a very large portion of people on boards like this and AtariAge are immature and insociable cretins.
    Yeah, thats gonna happen when you 'make' a fake non-working video game system and ask for millions of dollars.

I'll be watching....
    Last edited by bb_hood; 03-03-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I just hate it being treated like some kind of witch hunt against the RetroVGS team, like the world is out to get them. Most people were either indifferent or hopeful that this might be an interesting system to play. It's been their own fault the way it's transpired. If they'dve just not tried to show anything until they had a good, working prototype, they wouldn't be getting such backlash. The already territorial retro gaming community was insulted by these bizarre moves, as they make people feel like the RetroVGS team thinks they must be stupid and gullible.

Players are used to delays. They would have accepted delays. I don't know what financial or whatever burden has caused all of these strange moves, because they make no sense unless they're running out of money or something else that's forcing a timeline they can't keep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

So has it been later shown that the prototype found was faked then? If so, I didn't see/couldn't find an updated story. Can you link me the updated story since you apparently have the insight on the matter?
    Last edited by fluid_matrix; 03-03-2016 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Keep in mind how hard people had to look to find a match.
    It took them about 3 minutes, and then 10 minutes after that for you to delete the pic from Facebook.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

This is a pretty incredible thread. I can't believe we actually invoked SoCalMike (or more likely, Chris Cardillo) to come and attempt to defend this travesty. Amazing.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This was never a witch hunt or even a particularly aggressive "movement" against Mike Kennedy. People were just reacting to what the RVGS/CC team was putting out there and the more absurd the story got, the more vocal people became. After the Indiegogo ended the whole thing fell pretty silent. People didn't start getting fired up until they saw a Super Nintendo in a Jaguar shell. The capture card just added more fuel. But, truthfully, I think even now people would be happy to just let it end if Mike Kennedy came clean. Sure, his credibility is shot after all the shenanigans but very few people, if any, are asking for his head on a platter. Nobody has any interest in spending their time bullying this guy. He could probably close shop now, end the charade, and nobody would bother him about it anymore provided he doesn't try to do it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    It's just beating a dead horse at this point. Haha, point and laugh. Pile it on. Cool thing to do. We get it.

Retrogame community is vicious, they should have predicted that, just from browsing forums or youtube comments. Not sure how it started as a love letter to the old school gamers, yet did a complete 180 in the process, and pissed them off?

I get the feeling no type of retro console like this could ever exist. Probably because the intended audience is so fickle and vitriol, the manufacturer would literally have to fed ex blowjobs to kickstart supporters just to ease their minds. Yet, Sony and M$ could literally put a broken piece of equipment in a pretty box, and y'all flock to that shit like green flies?

Whatever, whatever. Soflomike did this and that. Yeah, yeah. Phony prototypes. Phony talk. Blah, blah. Ok. They failed. We get it. If I hear one more philosophical comment from some business minded gamer who thinks he knows everything, my head will explode.

This is a ridiculous accusation. Have you been paying attention since the beginning? There were tons of people who supported this venture at the start, and it really only started to go downhill when the Indiegogo was launched. Hell, even I, a person who thought that Kennedy's idea of launch a cart-based system was a dumb idea from the beginning, wrote a relatively positive article about it after the indiegogo. This was not taken down by people out to get Kennedy. This project failed because they were trying to commit outright fraud. If you can ignore that, I don't know what else to say. Kennedy lies in the bed he made, and no one should ever give him money to do something ever again. If Kennedy just went away, this whole thing would die down pretty quickly, but he keeps posting more ridiculous lies, so it is like the gift that keeps on giving.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    So has it been later shown that the prototype found was faked then? If so, I didn't see/couldn't find an updated story. Can you link me the updated story since you apparently have the insight on the matter?
    I believe you misunderstood me, there was a prototype later but the one shown at E3 was a phony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    It took them about 3 minutes, and then 10 minutes after that for you to delete the pic from Facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    This is a pretty incredible thread. I can't believe we actually invoked SoCalMike (or more likely, Chris Cardillo) to come and attempt to defend this travesty. Amazing.
    There's that young ol' dang ol' plant accusation again. It's like whenever you say something contrary to the contrarians on Youtube comments and get called a troll, only this place thinks it has some sort of quality control.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    This was never a witch hunt or even a particularly aggressive "movement" against Mike Kennedy. People were just reacting to what the RVGS/CC team was putting out there and the more absurd the story got, the more vocal people became. After the Indiegogo ended the whole thing fell pretty silent. People didn't start getting fired up until they saw a Super Nintendo in a Jaguar shell. The capture card just added more fuel. But, truthfully, I think even now people would be happy to just let it end if Mike Kennedy came clean. Sure, his credibility is shot after all the shenanigans but very few people, if any, are asking for his head on a platter. Nobody has any interest in spending their time bullying this guy. He could probably close shop now, end the charade, and nobody would bother him about it anymore provided he doesn't try to do it again.
    See, you keep saying this but they already offered an explanation for the SNES gambit (power supply and video, like I speculated!!!) and I'm sure they'll have an explanation for this. You act like it's 100% CONFIRMED GUYS EXPOSED EXPOSED and it's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    This was not taken down by people out to get Kennedy. This project failed because they were trying to commit outright fraud. If you can ignore that, I don't know what else to say. Kennedy lies in the bed he made, and no one should ever give him money to do something ever again. If Kennedy just went away, this whole thing would die down pretty quickly, but he keeps posting more ridiculous lies, so it is like the gift that keeps on giving.
    It's not fraud.
    Here's something-
    Chameleon Product: We are thankful to have a large group of passionate engineers and retro game enthusiasts who follow Coleco and other product lines. It has come to our attention that the community has certain concerns over the prototypes involving the Retro VGS model. The team at Retro remains confident that their product is developed to the extent as describe; HOWEVER, in order to confirm or debase these concerns, Coleco has demanded to inspect the prototype units within a seven day time frame. At which time, independent engineers will review their findings and determine if those units are up to our standards. We will report some or all of those findings to the community so as long as they do not interfere with proprietary information. We remain hopeful that the community's concerns are merely speculations, but if there is merit to the concerns, then we have no choice but to abandon the project rather than release a sub-par product. During this time, we ask that the community allow us time to complete these inspections. Time extensions will only be granted if requested by the independent engineer. Time extensions and results will be posted here.
    Off of Coleco Holdings' Facebook from yesterday. Wait for March 9th for nothing to happen before you flip out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Arrow

I believe you misunderstood me, there was a prototype later but the one shown at E3 was a phony.

There's that young ol' dang ol' plant accusation again. It's like whenever you say something contrary to the contrarians on Youtube comments and get called a troll, only this place thinks it has some sort of quality control.

See, you keep saying this but they already offered an explanation for the SNES gambit (power supply and video, like I speculated!!!) and I'm sure they'll have an explanation for this. You act like it's 100% CONFIRMED GUYS EXPOSED EXPOSED and it's not.

It's not fraud.
    Here's something-

Off of Coleco Holdings' Facebook from yesterday. Wait for March 9th for nothing to happen before you flip out.
    The reason you've been called a plant, as Tanooki very politely stated, is that you jumped right into this thread with a new account immediately defending a project that clearly doesn't have the good faith of the community. No introduction in the sticky thread that is there for that purpose, no attempt to join in on any other part of the conversation in any other thread on the site... just a "hey, come on guys, give it a chance" following hot on the heels of another photographic fiasco. Even if you are 100% innocent here, it still looks absolutely ridiculous. This thread wasn't any more active than the occasional eyeroll recently until you showed up and started citing what the Chameleon team says as the support to your statements.

I'm not even going after the lack of understanding of electronics anymore. You don't care, and that's fine. If you knew how simple it is to get power in and video out on a system, you'd understand why using the back end of an SNES makes no sense, and furthermore, either way it's stealing proprietary technology and calling it their own.

If Coca-Cola wants to get a new soft drink into stores, they don't slap a new label on a bottle of Mountain Dew and say, "Hey, Wal-Mart, you should pre-order a pallet for every store. It's basically gonna be this right here, but even more awesome, just you wait!" No. They create the product. They do focus group testing. They test market it in different areas to find their target demographics. Then, they create a presentation inculuding the test market results, projected sales and best potential placement strategies, and then they have the buyers for the retailer and usually some board members taste the product during the presentation.

Coleco/Retro has not shown a single shred of functioning unique technology, nor have they shown a single unique game running on that hardware. There is nothing here at all other than hope bolstered by misdirection. Nobody wants anybody drug out and publicly flogged. They just want the nonsense to stop. If you don't have a real product, don't try to show it until you do. I hope that audit on the 9th is legit and puts this all away. I just want to talk about video games that exist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Mike, the guys at Atari Age were able to 100% recreate the Toy Fair fraud with a SNES mini board and a Jaguar shell. Every thing matched up.

The thread is too big or I'd go find the pics.