Thread: Is there a 100% fix for the xbox 360 3 red lights

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is there a 100% fix for the xbox 360 3 red lights

I have tried so many attempts on some xbox 360's to fix this problem does any one know of one that works for longer than a week

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, get a new one
    Seriously tho, afaik the ring of death can mean many things. I dont think there is a universal fix for all the problems. Only trick i know about is to wrap the 360 into a towel really good and let it run for 10-15 minutes. Also possible to use a blowdryer, but then u have to open the whole console and use foil to cover up parts etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks yeah ive tried all of that out but only lasted for like a week. I have fixed an xbox that had this problem only once for good by putting extra thermal paste on the board but thats it. Its not mine im just curiose to find out a fix just so i can know. Thanks for your input though.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=595746

The latest thinking is replacing the x-clamps that hold the cpu and gpu heatsinks down. Over at xbox-scene users are reporting a very high success rate, and I don't think anyone has had the problem recur after doing this yet.

That said, it's no small job to do this repair, and it will void your warranty (if you still have one).

The reasoning seems logical - the x-clamp seems to focus pressure to a single spot, and because the motherboard is only secured around the edges and not the middle, this pressure causes the board to warp ever so slightly. Once the solder points are warmed up, this warping is causing loss of contact at the solder points.

Apparently the new Elites still use the x-clamps, but MS has applied epoxy around the edges of the cpu and gpu to stop them from pulling away from the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=595746

The latest thinking is replacing the x-clamps that hold the cpu and gpu heatsinks down. Over at xbox-scene users are reporting a very high success rate, and I don't think anyone has had the problem recur after doing this yet.

That said, it's no small job to do this repair, and it will void your warranty (if you still have one).

The reasoning seems logical - the x-clamp seems to focus pressure to a single spot, and because the motherboard is only secured around the edges and not the middle, this pressure causes the board to warp ever so slightly. Once the solder points are warmed up, this warping is causing loss of contact at the solder points.

Apparently the new Elites still use the x-clamps, but MS has applied epoxy around the edges of the cpu and gpu to stop them from pulling away from the board.
    Wow thanks man. I ahvnt seen that option yet. Thanks again i will try this on a cuple of 360's