Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GameTrailers worst 10 game console systems all time

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dskillz View Post
    Do you think that lists like this are really meant for us. Collectors I mean. We dig into these systems and find the hidden gems, but does that make them good consoles? Overall it is a poorly done list, but I do not think we were the target audience.
    It isn't too hard to figure out the target audience for this list, you're right about that. Casual American gamers who probably only played (or bought) 1-3 things from that list, tops.

Disclaimer: All quotes below are from the purported point of view of GameTrailers and are not my actual opinion or arguments.

Think putting the 3DO or Jaguar on the list was bad? Consider yourselves lucky. GameTrailers could have just as easily put the Turbografx/Duo on there and rationalized it by bringing up the lame advertising, 2-button controllers, the NEC/TTI market share versus Sega & Nintendo or any number of "facts" that "prove" it "sucked." They'll say who cares what it did overseas because this list is primarily for gamers in the US. When it boils down to it, GameTrailers could have also come up with a few reasons to include the Sega Master System or even the 7800 because they "got their butt kicked by the NES in America" (that would be their words, not mine). They would say "Who cares what SMS did in Brazil or some other countries nobody has ever heard of? This list is being read in the US."

Hell, if you're a site like GameTrailers, the reality is you can put nearly any game system (not computer) except for the 2600, NES, Game Boy, Super NES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, XBox, etc. (insert one or two big sellers I may have missed) onto a list such as this and come up with at least one or two arguments even if those arguments are shaky at best. It will get a lot of hits, generate tons of traffic, get people talking on message boards and presumably have some positive impact from an advertising standpoint.
    Last edited by bangtango; 05-08-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    It isn't too hard to figure out the target audience for this list, you're right about that. Casual American gamers who probably only played (or bought) 1-3 things from that list, tops.

Disclaimer: All quotes below are from the purported point of view of GameTrailers and are not my actual opinion or arguments.

Think putting the 3DO or Jaguar on the list was bad? Consider yourselves lucky. GameTrailers could have just as easily put the Turbografx/Duo on there and rationalized it by bringing up the lame advertising, 2-button controllers, the NEC/TTI market share versus Sega & Nintendo or any number of "facts" that "prove" it "sucked." They'll say who cares what it did overseas because this list is primarily for gamers in the US. When it boils down to it, GameTrailers could have also come up with a few reasons to include the Sega Master System or even the 7800 because they "got their butt kicked by the NES in America" (that would be their words, not mine). They would say "Who cares what SMS did in Brazil or some other countries nobody has ever heard of? This list is being read in the US."

Hell, if you're a site like GameTrailers, the reality is you can put nearly any game system (not computer) except for the 2600, NES, Game Boy, Super NES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, XBox, etc. (insert one or two big sellers I may have missed) onto a list such as this and come up with at least one or two arguments even if those arguments are shaky at best. It will get a lot of hits, generate tons of traffic, get people talking on message boards and presumably have some positive impact from an advertising standpoint.
    Dude... it's probably like one guy's opinion... or an amalgamated opinion from their office, to the best of their knowledge, whatever that might be.... If they were hardcore collectors, then I'm sure they'd consider writing a list that hardcore collectors would agree with, but they're probably somewhere closer to "casual" and that means they hate Virtual Boy and think it gave little kids seizures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    I think several systems can be argued off the list; the 3DO, N-Gage, Jaguar, Sega CD, and the 5200. The 5200's presence on the list at all is ridiculous. I think the VB may have to stay though...
    Actually I'd leave the N-Gage on the list. It was a horrible little taco of a thing.

Plus any list of horrible consoles can't be complete without the Game.com.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Actually I'd leave the N-Gage on the list. It was a horrible little taco of a thing
    Your loss.

If they were going to list a console that was never even released they could have least mentioned the Pippin @world.

Shitty list.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    People who write lists are number one on my list of untalented, uncreative assholes.
    Double True!
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    People who write lists are number one on my list of untalented, uncreative assholes.
    Oh! The irony!