Thread: Bullcrap from Ebay sellers......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Bullcrap from Ebay sellers......

Just a personal observation really. I understand the dad or grandmother selling videogames and or accessories with statements like "Pretty sure everything works as my son took good care of his collection. Unable to test myself but everything appears good condition. Selling AS IS".

What gets me is things like:

"This was my personal collection. Includes console, 8 games, controller and game gun. Everything worked last time I checked. Do to age of system though selling AS IS"

WTF? I mean if it was YOUR setup and worked fine last time you "checked" then what's the problem? You took enough time to setup the auction, take pics etc. WHY THE CRAP can't you take 10 more friggin minutes, hook it up, plug it in, see if it boots, see if controller and game gun functions etc?
    I mean really, it's like these sellers are trying to say that oh yeah, it should work, but I am not specificly going to say it works so that if it doesn't well, too bad, I sold it as is.

Sorry but I can't help but think that if that can't take the few minutes to test it then they already know damn well it doesn't work and they sell it AS IS to cover their ass. Don't get me wrong, hey buyer beware and all but geez who are they kidding?
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree. it's either that the seller is trying to scam someone and is just trying to cover himself or he's extremely lazy. Either way, most likely a person you would't want to buy from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I said just wanted to say.. You are sooo true...

If it's from your collection, you know how to hook it up... Take 10 extra minutes and test it... It's not that hard..

People are just lazy and trying to make a quick buck..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I agree with your post. Although ebay does have some shady sellers, the ball is in the buyers court. What really pisses me off is selling something to someone on ebay and having them state that not everything was sent right, shipping was bad, etc etc. Ebay is in favor of the buyer.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually say this in my auctions, and it's not that any of my stuff doesn't work(I test it all), but it's more because I don't wanna deal with refunds. Call me lazy, but if I sell a $30 game and pay my fees, box it up, take it to the PO, I don't wanna do it twice. It's really not worth my time.

Since I tested it all, it should work when it gets there. If it doesn't, then
    1) the customer broke it
    2) It broke in transit, and if you purchased insurance, I'll help you claim it
    3) It broke in transit ,and you didn't purchase insurance, your problem.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    I agree with your post. Although ebay does have some shady sellers, the ball is in the buyers court. What really pisses me off is selling something to someone on ebay and having them state that not everything was sent right, shipping was bad, etc etc. Ebay is in favor of the buyer.
    agreed. it seems that honest sellers like myself tend to get the shit end of the stick sometimes.

But shit, I can complain all I want... I will still sell stuff on ebay, no doubt about that.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pilotwings's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a jap mega cd 2 from a guy once and he said it was brand new boxed tested etc and the pics looked good. When i recieved the Mcd2 it was boxed and perfect as described but to my horror had no plug. So i asked him how the fuck he tested it and i filed a dispute with paypal as items not as described. And he turned my dispute into a claim and told them lies about me. I mean how fucking dare he right?. So i got hold of an adaptor and yes it never worked and my paypal claim never worked and im left with a dud console. Still haven't got round to it but i hope its just the fuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pilotwings View Post
    I bought a jap mega cd 2 from a guy once and he said it was brand new boxed tested etc and the pics looked good. When i recieved the Mcd2 it was boxed and perfect as described but to my horror had no plug. So i asked him how the fuck he tested it and i filed a dispute with paypal as items not as described. And he turned my dispute into a claim and told them lies about me. I mean how fucking dare he right?. So i got hold of an adaptor and yes it never worked and my paypal claim never worked and im left with a dud console. Still haven't got round to it but i hope its just the fuse.
    This is a great example of why feedback is important. A good seller generally won't want to damage his reputation and will really test an item before listing it. Of course when some people just go out and purchase feedback it lessens the importance of it all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    "This was my personal collection. Includes console, 8 games, controller and game gun. Everything worked last time I checked. Do to age of system though selling AS IS"
    According to Paypal rules, the words "AS IS" must be prominently displayed in the first or second lines. If the words are hidden in a long paragraph, then the seller is still liable to make it work (or refund).