Thread: Devilish NDS

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Devilish NDS

I just picked this up over the weekend and I had not heard anything about it till I saw it on the shelf. Does anybody know when this came out?

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Which one? Domestic or Import? Neither one had any kind of release info....
    Better hold on to that one! Its a remake of the Genesis pinball game. Pretty fun if I remember correctly.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It came out two weeks ago at the end of April. I've yet to see a copy in the Syracuse area, be it an EB/GS, MicroPlay, small independent game stores, or big chain stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, etc. It's really killing me because I want this game badly. It's even elusive on internet stores...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

yeah, I picked it up for $20 at an independant game chain (they get new releases on release day also). I had never heard of it comming to the DS so I picked it up. I got thier last copy and have yet to see it anywhere else at all. I got the Domestic version.

Cherry (Level 1) DaBargainHunta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the import (a few months before the NA release was announced - just my luck - but I didn't pay too much), and it's definitely a lot of fun. Worth getting.
    Formerly the poster known as Retro Pro

My review of Road Trip for PS2: http://digitpress.com/reviews/roadtrip.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I've always wondered why they remade this. I have a copy for the Game Gear I bought years ago. It's pretty decent. If I ever see a copy for the DS I might get it.

Cherry (Level 1) DaBargainHunta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    I've always wondered why they remade this. I have a copy for the Game Gear I bought years ago. It's pretty decent. If I ever see a copy for the DS I might get it.
    I think it's a new game, not a remake - but I could be mistaken on that.
    Formerly the poster known as Retro Pro

My review of Road Trip for PS2: http://digitpress.com/reviews/roadtrip.htm

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

From whats been said its suppose to be a port of the Genny title.

The game hit a few weeks back, but GS/EB didn't even show it releasing till 5/9. That being said, its still not shipped into stores last I checked (5/12) but its available online via the GS/EB websites.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's actually not a port but a new game, at least judging by the first few areas. The game features updated graphics, a larger play area thanks to the dual screens and new level layouts and themes. First two areas are a Castle and an Ice filled cavern.
    My Japanese game videos
    Latest Videos: Oretachi Game Center: Akumajou Dracula Stages 1-3 completed without dying from the bonus promo DVD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a remake of the the Genesis title, and as UndeadKing described, has new features that make it feel fresh and new. So, EB/GS is up to their usual 2 week delay with budget titles huh? Well, at least they're getting it. Hopefully it will be there tommorrow when I go to pick up Etrian Odyssey. I wonder if Taito Legends 2 (releases today) will have a two week delay as well?

Edit: It seems GameStop has a grading system for releases. The upcoming Art of Fighting Anthology, which releases today, won't be in a GS/EB store anytime soon because it's a C-Grade release. Classic Action: Devilish must of also been a C-Grade release.

WTF, I seriously question the people running this company... as if gutting multiple copies of new games for display and selling used games as new wasn't enough, now they choose what to take in stock and when based on interest? They're a game specialty store, there shouldn't be this kind of bias when it comes to ordering in stock...
    Last edited by Xexyz; 05-16-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered the Japanese version from Play-Asia a couple weeks ago, and after I checked out there was a thing saying they were having a special sale on the US version. That was the first I'd heard of it.

Though I paid less for the JP verison than they were asking for the US, so...yay. Won't be here anytime soon, though...sitting with a preorder.

Does this still have Hitoshi Sakimoto's music in it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

I have had the import for a while now. Its a fun little game.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen the game at EB and Wal-Mart.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the DS version of Devilish is really disappointing. I mean, there were problems with the Genesis and Game Gear versions, too, but I really hoped that the developers of the DS version had finally gotten it right. It's such a great game concept, it's really tragic to have every version end up more flawed than the last.

In this DS version, there are design problems that hold the game back such as the graphics being too large and making the play field feel cramped and everything just generally moving too slowly. The actual level design seems like a big step down from the previous versions, too. And while the ball rebounding physics have always been a problem, they're just even worse this time around.

The developers also did a really poor job of taking advantage of the DS's features. Having two screens in is great and in fact it feels like the game was designed for a two screen layout, so I have no complaint with that. But why didn't they give the game touchscreen support for controlling your paddles? That seems like a no-brainer. Paddle games are supposed to have analog control, they can be forced to work with digital control, but when you have the option for analog like you do on the DS, it's stupid not to take advantage of it. The digital control isn't done so well anyway, it's kind of flighty, though that feeling may be another effect of the over-large graphics.

Also, why not some two-player modes? A cooperative two player where each player controller one of the paddles would be phenomenally cool. Competitive, two player would also be great, it could be like a race through the level and whoever finishes first wins. They could even have put it in a 1-on-1 versus mode which would be a bit like Devilish Pong. It's just unimaginitive to leave out multiplayer modes.

Speaking of unimaginitive, what's up with the fucking story? Cripes. There's nothing wrong with giving the game a story, in fact it could be an interesting thing, but make it clever for crying out loud. Not just lame nonsense that will have your finger twitching over the start button in the vain hope that if you press it at just the right time maybe the game will let you skip the story sequence with it's horribly drawn and repeatedly re-used drawings.

And no, the game does not use the original music, instead it has mind-numbingly drab off-the-shelf music with really bad instrumentation.

*sigh*

The worst part is that it's such a fun gameplay concept that I find myself playing it quite a lot despite what a shitty half-assed job Starfish did. Why can't games like this be made with the kind of production values that shitty unplayable mainstream games have?

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just ordered this off estarland. It's so weird that this came out now. I remember when it was first announced, I was looking forward to it, and then it ended up only coming out in Japan, with no news of a US release. That was over a year and a half ago. Now all of a sudden a US version just shows up. Bizarre.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I just ordered this off estarland. It's so weird that this came out now. I remember when it was first announced, I was looking forward to it, and then it ended up only coming out in Japan, with no news of a US release. That was over a year and a half ago. Now all of a sudden a US version just shows up. Bizarre.
    thats what I'm talking about, it just kinda showed up and I had never heard anything about it. I like the game, but the whole reason I started this thread to begin with was to find out what the deal was with why it just snuck its way onto the shelves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    thats what I'm talking about, it just kinda showed up and I had never heard anything about it. I like the game, but the whole reason I started this thread to begin with was to find out what the deal was with why it just snuck its way onto the shelves.
    Well, the Japanese version was published by Starfish themselves (this is more common in Japan, that small independent developers will publish their own games rather than using a larger publisher), but of course Starfish doesn't publish games outside of Japan, so they had to find a third party publisher who would handle the game. That means shopping it around at E3 and other industry events. They found a publisher pretty quickly to sell the game in Europe, probably because the series is more well known over there. Apparently they had more trouble finding someone to publish it in the U.S. though, which certainly shouldn't be surprising considering the nature of the game. UFO Interactive must have decided that they could make a profit on it finally. The DS market has grown quite a bit so that has a lot to do with it. Production costs are also down.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I just thought of something. In Japan, you say independant labels are more likely to publish the games themselves. Well I know when independent record labels ship things out, it doesn't always make it into all the major stores inventory. Now-a-days, games are so widely produced that we may never even see another R4-R5 again. But if this small company publishing thier own games thing happens a bit more over here in the states, I think that may be the only way we'll see rare games again durring the new gen of systems (that aren't limited collector's editions or anything like that.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's interesting to see how the development and publishing businesses are changing these days, so I definitely wouldn't rule out more indendent dev houses publishing their own stuff over here. If they do, though, I doubt the print runs would be smaller than games published by companies like O3, Alten8 or this UFO company that published Devilish.

I think there will always be R5+ games, by the way. Keep in mind that while the numbers being produced may be larger now, so is the market, not only for current systems, but also for older systems.

...word is bonndage...