Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority when I say that I don't mind sequels. Sure, some(if not most) of these franchises needs some refocusing, like Tony Hawk did last year, but if the game is decent, I'll play it.

I sympathize with the fact that companies are sticking to established brands since dev costs are going through the roof, quelling the new IPs.

EDIT:

After watching the new NFS teaser, I'm quite interested. If they keep the damage model and keep the graphics somewhat tight, they might have a real winner on their hands, absolutely worthy of the 'sequel' tag that's been placed on it.
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 05-22-2007 at 07:12 AM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really mind sequilitis. I mean I know thse companies are in the game to make money, and if people are buying it, they're gonna make it.

What bothers me is the price of some of the games, like Guitar Hero. Now I know this fall part 3 is gonna come out, and it's gonna range in price from $49.99 - 89.99. Honestly there is no need for that kind of price, first of all all the games are are expansion packs with new songs, new characters etc, and second of all, they're not even that advanced.

The games are about as simple as you can get in terms of construction, static background, 5 moving dots on screen. I mean it could probably be programmed by one guy in his mother's basement in Cambridge.

I hoping now that MTV owns it, a company with more money than it knows what to do with, that last generation releases will be cheaper.

I mean if EA can put PS2 games out at 29.99 and 39.99, there's no reason for this 49.99 for an expansion type of shit.

\end rant

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have to say sports games are the worst. How is it that Madden can get away with putting out a game every single year with updated rosters and slights tweaks. They should only release a game when there's a new engine and then provide downloadable content for roster updates and any other patches they want to do. I know that they make a ton of money off of the Madden franchise but wow, how can people buy this game every single year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81 View Post
    I don't really mind sequilitis. I mean I know thse companies are in the game to make money, and if people are buying it, they're gonna make it.

What bothers me is the price of some of the games, like Guitar Hero. Now I know this fall part 3 is gonna come out, and it's gonna range in price from $49.99 - 89.99. Honestly there is no need for that kind of price, first of all all the games are are expansion packs with new songs, new characters etc, and second of all, they're not even that advanced.

The games are about as simple as you can get in terms of construction, static background, 5 moving dots on screen. I mean it could probably be programmed by one guy in his mother's basement in Cambridge.

I hoping now that MTV owns it, a company with more money than it knows what to do with, that last generation releases will be cheaper.

I mean if EA can put PS2 games out at 29.99 and 39.99, there's no reason for this 49.99 for an expansion type of shit.

\end rant
    You can defend GH somewhat because record companies charge games quite a bit of money to license their songs... but since GH doesn't use the real versions of songs, you would think they could bet them for cheaper, certainly less than the $2/song they're charging for the 360 downloads.

I enjoy the GH games, but I think they're the one series that has been mentioned on this topic that is in the biggest danger of burning out, especially with "Rock Band" coming out as well.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. Wanna do something about it? (Other than bitching about it on a message board, I mean.) Don't buy the sequels.

(Seriously, how many times have we had this topic?)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I can gather, it just seems like you're pissed games you don't like to play come out with sequels all the time.

Just for example, it IS necessary for at the very least, one new guitar hero game a year. You get 60ish songs, and they can just continue to get new songs and pump them out non-stop. I honestly don't care if the backgrounds, guitars, and characters are all the same, I just want more songs.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

sequelitis has plagued video games and film industries for decades. the powers that be are scared shitless to make edgy or unique titles. the last game I remember that really took a chance was Katamari

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    sequelitis has plagued video games and film industries for decades.
    Pong had a ton of sequels back when it first came out. Sequels have always been a part of the gaming industry, for better and for worse.