Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick Odin Sphere Impressions....2 hours in.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Quick Odin Sphere Impressions....2 hours in.

Picked up my preorder today, I am about 2 hours in. I fought the first couple of bosses, including a really awesome looking dragon who was bigger than the entier screen. There WAS slowdown, but all in all I am still impressed. The graphics on this game are just top notch.

So far it lives up to the hype...I can't wait for my wife to go to bed so I can play more tonight.

The drawbacks I have noticed so far are small. You do spend a little too much time futzing around with your inventory and doing alchemy. On the other hand, the alchemy produces some very useful potions/food items, so you gotta do it.

The other one that caught me by surprise is that you can clear an area boss without completing the rest of the area...so of course you want to go back and clear the rest of the area (level up, get items, etc.), but if you wander back to the place where you originally killed the main boss....it warps you all the way back to the starting point and you have to do it all over again. So, if you are going through areas multiple times...DO NOT go near the boss area unless you are finished and want to go back to the castle.

Anyway, I recommend everyone picking this up...it's only 40 bucks and you are not going to get any other beautiful 2D games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I picked it up too. It's decent so far, but I hear from people that have been playing the Japanese version is that it's too long for its own good. 50 hours of the pretty simple combat, and you visit the same areas and fight the same bosses for all characters.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you wasted $40 American dollars at GameStop and now your playing a game that is going to be worth less then $5 in five years wow pat yourself on the back and continue your random US spending ways.

Thats right it was worth it just to play an abomination that was never meant to be

There is tons of other 2d games out there and this game is just on a side scroll.

Also wow you fought one Dragon..Wow.. I just got up to the part where you fought a huge pre-rendered Dragon in Princess Crown and two other Dragon appeared. What are the Odds

Thats right buy a game where everybody is walking around like Metrosexauls with super straight hair and RPG is not what it useted to be. Buy the abomination that should be on Dreamcast. Buy it now and hold it up high and say I BROUGHT A PIECE OF PLASTICE SCRAP THAT I WILL INSERT INTO TO MY REGION BOUND PS2.

Thats right your all going to enjoy this nonsense......Also is there another form fo rhtis already

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    So you wasted $40 American dollars at GameStop and now your playing a game that is going to be worth less then $5 in five years wow pat yourself on the back and continue your random US spending ways.

Thats right it was worth it just to play an abomination that was never meant to be

There is tons of other 2d games out there and this game is just on a side scroll.

Also wow you fought one Dragon..Wow.. I just got up to the part where you fought a huge pre-rendered Dragon in Princess Crown and two other Dragon appeared. What are the Odds

Thats right buy a game where everybody is walking around like Metrosexauls with super straight hair and RPG is not what it useted to be. Buy the abomination that should be on Dreamcast. Buy it now and hold it up high and say I BROUGHT A PIECE OF PLASTICE SCRAP THAT I WILL INSERT INTO TO MY REGION BOUND PS2.

Thats right your all going to enjoy this nonsense......Also is there another form fo rhtis already
    Uncalled for. So they started a new thread. Big deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

You are an idiot and you don't know how to type.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow, so you hate the game cause it's on ps2 and wasn't on Dreamcast, I don't get it.

Sounds good, I'll be buying it. 50 hours....niiice.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    You are an idiot and you don't know how to type.
    I am an idiot I save $50 on a game that does not even belong on that system and will buy it later for $5. Yes I am an idiot for waiting it out an letting the price drop.

Yes idiot has an addiction problem to games wow idiot runs out naked just to buy game that could be on the GBA but is on the PS2 wow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

that could be on the GBA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got this on release day (last week, Thursday) but was out of town on the wekeend so am only about 6.5 hours into it (starting of Valkyrie, chapter 5). I like it, but it took a while to get the hang of the leveling system.

It rocks. Buy it. The sad thing is, there will not be a 2D game this pretty for a long time, if ever.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jeez man, calm down. What got you so upset about this game anyway? Yes, I started a new thread now that the game is out. That other thread was kind of old and now that the game is out and a lot of gamers really care about it I thought it deserved a new thread. Sue me.

Look, if you don't want to buy it and you want to wait for a price drop....that's great. Go for it. We all do that all the time with games we are unsure of. If this game is one of those for you, thats cool. So leave us to play our GBA level "abomination" in peace.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch View Post
    I got this on release day (last week, Thursday) but was out of town on the wekeend so am only about 6.5 hours into it (starting of Valkyrie, chapter 5). I like it, but it took a while to get the hang of the leveling system.

It rocks. Buy it. The sad thing is, there will not be a 2D game this pretty for a long time, if ever.
    Yeah, playiing this makes me really want to see what kind of sweet hand-drawn sprite-based 2D they could do on the 360 or PS3. Sniff. I'm not holding my breath on that. Thank God for the handhelds, where we continue to get good 2D stuff like Castlevanias, etc. If Sizzler knew how much I was looking forward to the Dracula X Chronicles for PSP, he would pass out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sweet hand-drawn sprite-based 2D they could do on the 360 or PS3
    You mean all the sweet drawn sprites that they already did on a SNES?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You mean all the sweet drawn sprites that they already did on a SNES?
    Seriously. Get a life.

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many of you have heard the phrase "Please don't feed the troll?"
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch View Post

GrimGrimoire anyone?

Same developer (Vanillaware), similar art style, all 2D hand drawn sprites, and a new gameplay style for RPG's (RTS based). It comes out in June for the PS2. My only gripe is that since NIS is publishing it, they'll more than likely stick a $50 price tag on it...

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    My exact thoughts on this thread.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Can't wait to pick up my copy, I'll swing by Game Crazy on the way home from class. The alchemy seems like something i'll have to force myself to get into, but the whole thing looks like a blast.

How Alchemy heavy was Princess Crown? If I enjoy this I wouldn't mind tracking down the import, but all of the item names could be a problem.

I'll just shake my head at RugalSizzler and move on
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anyone else hear the little red angry faces coming for rugal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

You guys are killing me here. I preordered the game from Amazon and they still haven't shipped it to me! I want to walk around as a straight haired metrosexual killing dragons and enjoy all the gba/snes/dc quality sprites! Since I ordered it online I can't run out naked to buy it, but I'll try to remember to be naked when I finally get to play it.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got mine today and only had time to fire it up and watch the idle demo. I can't wait to play this... I'll get to it in the morning. When I dropped by GS to pick it up I talked with the clerk for a bit. Apparently, someone had offered said clerk a cash bribe to sell him my preorder copy (last copy in store and they only got enough copies for preorders). Glad I paid in full before it shipped.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives