Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there any way or a device you can use to backup SNES *GAME SAVES*?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    The copiers can copy saves to a floppy, not pc. PC emulators such as zsnes have save files that have extra information that need to be removed before it can be uploaded to a cart.

Ok then

Theoretically speaking using the Game Doctor SF 7 or the Super Wildcard DX 2
    Couldn't you:

1. Copy the saves (normal S-RAM saves btw, NOT save states) from an actual SNES cart to a floppy

2. Put the floppy in a floppy drive on your PC.

3. Copy the saves to the PC's hard drive. (to back them up)

and then when you want to restore the saves into the actual snes cart:

1. Copy the SAME saves (unmodified) from the PC's hard drive to a floppy disk in the floppy drive of the PC.

2. Put the floppy back into the game copier

3. Copy the game saves from the floppy into the actual SNES cart?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, that's the basic method (and BUNG, etc's sole argument for the legitimacy of their SNES copiers.) :-)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dhowerter View Post
    Theoretically speaking using the Game Doctor SF 7 or the Super Wildcard DX 2
    Couldn't you:
    Yes, you can sort of think of it like a Dex Drive. With the GDSF7 you enter a special cheat code to transfer a SRAM file to/from the cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    The second you disconnect the battery is the second you lose the save file. I tried to do a quick hotswap ( < 5 seconds) and I lost my save when I turned it back on.
    Not true at all.

I've swapped 10+ batteries from SNES cartridges over the past few years and have never had the information dissappear. If you disconnect the old battery, remove it and replace it with a new battery in under a minute (the act of switching batterires takes 1-2 seconds realistically), you will be fine.

The only dissappearing save I've had was from an old FFII cartridge where I took out the old battery and didn't replace it for 1/2 hour or so.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLukas View Post
    Yes, you can sort of think of it like a Dex Drive. With the GDSF7 you enter a special cheat code to transfer a SRAM file to/from the cart.

Do you happen to know this cheat code?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dhowerter View Post
    Do you happen to know this cheat code?
    (use modify game option)

NVRAM in CART -> GD7 'BRAM':
    10005XXXXXXXX1

GD7 'BRAM' -> NVRAM in CART:
    10006XXXXXXXX1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am resurrecting this because I am thinking of buying one. I have only found one website that sells them, http://www.tototek.com/. Are there any others?

It seems that they come in different RAM sizes. What difference does this make? I only intend to backup game saves. If I wanted to play a game on my TV I'm sure there would be many other options.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, there's no others you'll find easily. Also, you can trasnfer saves via parallel port with the SF7, but ymmv.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can use the Tototek Super Flash Programmer to backup/restore battery SRAM saves as well. I've done it in the past. Pretty cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon View Post
    I am resurrecting this because I am thinking of buying one. I have only found one website that sells them, http://www.tototek.com/. Are there any others?

It seems that they come in different RAM sizes. What difference does this make? I only intend to backup game saves. If I wanted to play a game on my TV I'm sure there would be many other options.
    I'd still like to have an answer to this question. Does anybody know the answer or can anybody point me to a better place to ask?

Thanks.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally have one of these devices. I am powering it with a Genesis power supply, which complies with the voltage/polarity requirements. I am using it on my model 1 SNES, and I have a formatted floppy disk.

Unfortunately, when I turn it on, I get the message "Disk Error (WCM) !", and I am unable to do anything. How can I fix this? Is this a major problem? The floppy disk was hard to insert, which makes me think the drive may be bad. If so, can a standard floppy drive replace it?

Thanks.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon View Post
    I finally have one of these devices. I am powering it with a Genesis power supply, which complies with the voltage/polarity requirements. I am using it on my model 1 SNES, and I have a formatted floppy disk.

Unfortunately, when I turn it on, I get the message "Disk Error (WCM) !", and I am unable to do anything. How can I fix this? Is this a major problem? The floppy disk was hard to insert, which makes me think the drive may be bad. If so, can a standard floppy drive replace it?

Thanks.
    i had the same problem with mine (which i also bought from tototek). even after trying diffrent drives it wouldn't work properly. never did get it to work. ended up buying a confirmed working one from Shadowkn55 which worked like a charm.

i should also add i have almost totally given up on copiers. just to archaiec and unreliable. i just use flash carts these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, all I want to do is backup my game saves. Preferably I would be able to convert the saves to a format that could be used by an emulator.

I don't know if I will be able to get any help from Tototek; I think they are from Hong Kong. I want to open it up and see if there are any obvious problems, but there is a seal that I would have to break first.

If you have any information that may help, please pass it along.
    Last edited by SkiDragon; 08-26-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is no conversion needed for battery save data. Simply give the save file a .srm extension and it will work fine in an emulator.

Are you sure it's a Genesis Model 1 power supply? Remove the GDSF7 from the system and unplug the power cord from the back. Plug the power cable into the back of the GDSF7 again you should hear a faint drive motor noise. If you don't hear it, either the AC adapter is dead, or possibly the drive. Yes, it's a regular floppy drive, and IIRC the 4 pin power cable and floppy data cable are removable, so it would be just like swapping the floppy drive in a PC. If I were you, I'd just open it up and have a look. The insides aren't complicated.

Also, hold the R shoulder button when powering up to get to the GDSF7 main menu. If you press Select it should get rid of the error warning. IIRC, with a parallel cable and the TSF2/3 software, you should be able to transfer saves that way.
    Last edited by JLukas; 08-26-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I made an amateur mistake. The power strip that my power supply was plugged into was not turned on.

Now I can turn it on and navigate the menus. The disk is still hard to insert, and when I try to format the disk, I get another error "Disk Error (RDST) !". Is formatting even necessary? I could try the parallel port method as soon as my computer is in range, but for now all I have is a disk.

EDIT: It also says to insert a disk at certain points, so I think the drive may be broken. I was however able to load Super Metroid into the internal memory and play it from there, but that's not why I bought this thing.

EDIT2: Installing a new disk drive seemed to fix the SF7, although I'm not sure if I can reassemble the SF7 or not.

I have been able to get my game saves onto my PC, but unfortunately, at least one of my saves (Secret of Evermore) was wiped out for no apparent reason. If I copy a game onto the SF7's internal RAM, I can play it without the cartridge and it retains my save. Is it possible to get the save from the internal RAM like this onto a disk?

Final question for now: Is there a way to get the game saves off of the DSP chip games? Specifically, it does not even detect Super Mario RPG as a game. Lucky it didn't delete my save.

Final Note: I backed up up all of the games I cared about, but it should be known that the device erased BOTH my copies or Secret of Mana, and Secret of Evermore. Those are the only games it erased. I don't know if it is coincidence or not, but you should be careful.
    Last edited by SkiDragon; 04-06-2009 at 08:15 PM.