Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've never played Diablo. Ever.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I've never played Diablo. Ever.

I was listening to a Retronauts podcast the other day, and it was all about Diablo. I remember when Diablo came out, and was considered to be a really great game, etc, etc, but for whatever reason, I never ended up playing it. I'm thinking about trying to find a Diablo disk somewhere, and give it a try. The question I have, is that for somebody that has never, ever, played this game, is there a specific version that I should focus on getting ahold of, and will it run ok on a modern PC, or will it run too fast?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:59 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AHHh Yesss I remember that game. It was on a news cast one Saturday when I could not find any cartoons to watch.

Of course it was with the creator talking about a whole new form of gameplay and stuff. Where you would have to talk to this and that in order to get somewhere.

The original Diablo is a great game indeed. You should see how you can zoom in on the action that awaits you and explore the world of Diablo. Really nice game. I had a chance recently to buy this game with a box and book but did not buy it.

The game was out around the time of Mario 64 and Final Fantasy 7 was out. I miss those days chasing after girls in the school yard and playing with pokemon

Pokemon ruined my life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Default. Diablo 2 is better than the original Diablo in just about every way. Also, the Lord of Destruction expansion pack is close to essential. You really don't need to play the original Diablo to jump right into Diablo 2.

And whether you play the original Diablo or Diablo 2, DO NOT forget to update to the latest version. Blizzard puts a lot of work into patching their games to make them more balanced and have more features. D2 in particular is so different between 1.00 and 1.10.

Diablo was the best thing in the universe when it came out, but that was ten years ago. It's not that it's a bad game now, because it's not. It's still great, but D2 is just... better.

Diablo or Diablo 2 should run fine on your computer, I think. Both run fine on my computer, but then again, I don't have a high-end computer, so your mileage may vary.

I hope you enjoy playing whichever version you decide to play. It's really easy for anyone to pick up and play, and it's 99% action with very little time spent in town. The controls are a breeze; point and click where to move, point and click where to attack, right click to use a special move, use hotkeys to change special move, bring up the character screen, or bring up the inventory.

The only thing that stinks about being new to Diablo or D2 is that very few people online are new. There won't be many people who will want to go slowly questing with you, although obviously the whole game is soloable. Most people when they create a new character want to be "rushed" through the mandatory events by a high level player so they can get to levelling for PVP.

But still, very easy to pick up game. It's elegant in its simplicity, yet it's still deep with the way you can design your characters, allocate your skill points, and organize your equipment.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

D2 is probably a better game, but it is also much easier and less tense. I also think the original has better music and sound effects. Lastly, in D2 any character can kill everything after leveling enough. Not so in D1, where a Sorcerer can pretty much never kill one of the Succubus clones (yellow IIRC) without considerable time investment. Well, that's how I remember it anyway, it has been a long time. Oh, and I quit playing D2 around the time the 1.10 patch came out, so I don't know about all the changes that made.

One of the funny things I recall about both games is that my favorite parts in each were both towards the very beginning. In D1 the Butcher just really freaked me out every time and that was on the 2nd or 3rd lvl. In D2 for some reason I liked the first cave the most, no idea why.

edit ps. I think it is worth playing D1 if for nothing other than the butcher. And if not him, then the invisible melty guys that make a great sound when they die and can freak you out when they sneak up on you.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it is worth playing D1 if for nothing other than the butcher
    The creator of the game was talking about the first area where the family was like The Butcer slaughtered my wife and children etc and then you went threw the first dungeon to eventually find a mad butcher in a chef costume.

Or was that the same person you complained in the begin of the area. Really really funny stuff.

I remember also seeing Miyamoto playing Super Mario 64 as if he never play a game in his life and was breifly more funnier then the man who never played Super Mario in life.

Waht was the name of that show again?????

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Just get the Diablo battlechest. It costs next to nothing and is still easily found.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

diablo 2 and the expansion are 10 bucks each new at gamestop right now. id recommend getting them. lets put it this way... every modern dungeon crawler uses diablo as a template.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I never played any pc games
    (only emulator games have I play on pc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Battle Chest is a good idea. I have that, too. Probably really cheap now.

The only thing annoying about the Battle Chest is that it doesn't include Hellfire. If they're going to include Diablo, Diablo 2, and Lord of Destruction, how can they leave out Hellfire? Also, the huge strategy guide for D2 also included in the BC is really outdated if you upgrade to 1.10.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't either. I don't think I'm into the whole idea.

Which is ironic, since I want to play Neverwinter Nights.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, there isn't a single player part of Diablo at all? It's online only? I honestly don't know crap about it, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    So, there isn't a single player part of Diablo at all? It's online only? I honestly don't know crap about it, lol.
    No, there is a single player part. IIRC itīs the same as the online game, but simply single :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

/me has never played Diablo either

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Diablo 1 : Great game. Multi-player today is dead, years ago it was overloaded and hacked out the ass too. Once Diablo 2 came out the original population drained quickly. Everytime I go onto B.net and talk about Diablo 1, most don't know jack crap about it! The community is lacking roots. If you must play Diablo though, I suggest the PSX version simply because there's added lighting effects, shadowing and some bonus stuff. The downside of the PSX version is load time! Dear god there's a long wait between areas.

Diablo 2 : Buy the expansion; so many extra goodies, period. There's still a community on-line, though much smaller than it use to be. I suggest playing some single-player first (maybe beat it once), then go B.net to see what's the fuss. There are a lot of friendly people on there (including myself) but look out for those PKers. If you play Softcore, nothing much to worry about there (other than losing EXP when you die), but play Hardcore and you get 1 life, then it's all over. HC is the way I play, adds more edge to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis
    I never played any pc games
    (only emulator games have I play on pc)
    Shame on you. Any PC or MAC have tons of available games. Although emulation is very nice you need to look around to fill up some harddrive space! Use that RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple
    The only thing annoying about the Battle Chest is that it doesn't include Hellfire. If they're going to include Diablo, Diablo 2, and Lord of Destruction, how can they leave out Hellfire? Also, the huge strategy guide for D2 also included in the BC is really outdated if you upgrade to 1.10.
    I thought it was left out due to being unofficial, or something. So wouldn't Sierra have to pack it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    There are single player modes for both, however single player lacks certain runes and items. Also you can't play Hardcore or change difficulties in single player. Then of course some characters have skill builds that benefit from partying up, something that lacks in single player. So really Diablo 2 is oriented around being multi-player.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Diablo is a great game. One of the coolest things in the game is the dynamic map so it will never be the same twice, although in single player I believe it is the same each time with the same character.

Hellfire was the unoffical expansion made by Sierra. It added a lot of cool stuff into the game and if you can find a copy cheap, try it out. I had a lot of fun on dial-up multiplayer with both Diablo and Hellfire.

Diablo 2 is great as well as it added a whole lot of goodies. It was great playing on battle.net in the day, but sadly I left just before the 1.10 patch.

I never did buy the expansion for it as I went from Diablo 2 to Ultima Online then back to Diablo 2 while I waited for Shadowbane. I'm acutally going to go buy it at Gamestop tomorrow since it's only $10.

But man, back when I was playing in 1.09 I was so decked out in dupes it was unbelievable how easy that game was. I had just about all the best dupes for my barbarian as well as one of the rarest dupe swords. It was such a rare dupe, people swore up and down it was legit. Too bad I last all my pictures when my hard drive crashed last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I prefer the original Diablo myself, mainly for atmosphere. I dunno the original just has held up better over the years and just still has that classic feel. Diablo 2 is good too, but more complicated. Play Diablo 1 first imo.

Btw, when you go online and in a dungeon people can kill you and steal your loot and you ear, yes "your ear becomes their trophy" so be careful MUAHAHAHAHAHA, you have been warned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, you have played Diablo, if you've played one of these games:

Rogue
    Angband
    Trouble of Middle Earth
    Nethack
    Fatal Labrynth
    Everquest
    World of Warcraft

...or any of the other 1,000 Rogue clones that I can't name off the top of my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    Diablo for the original PlayStation is single player. If you're just wanting to check the game out inexpensively, that might be a good way to do it.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I never played Diablo online. I'm just not an online gaming fan. But this said, the game (well, at least Diablo II, dunno about the first one) is still supported for online play by Blizzard after all these years...

BTW, you can still download a playable demo of Diablo and Diablo II off Blizzard's site: http://www.blizzard.com/diablo/ and http://www.blizzard.com/diablo2/demo.shtml