Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Default Soldner-X

I was just checking out the newest arrivals over at Play Asia when I saw a banner ad for what looked to be a new shooter - Soldner-X. I clicked on the banner and was taken to a press release that announced that this game is being funded entirely by Play Asia. It's being made by some new developer called Sidequest Studios. There's a site up at http://www.soldner-x.com, but there aren't any screenshots or gameplay vids to check out yet.

Anybody know anything more about this game? I absolutely love shooters, so this is good news regardless, but I'd definitely like to see some screenshots if there are any floating around somewhere.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, ever since I found out about this over at shmups.com, I've been thinking it's going to be utter ****. Then again, I mainly formed that idea off of the negative responses from the boys on that site. Sometimes the posters on that forum can be almost (ALMOST) as depressing as the people who post on Neo.Geo.com.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Xexyz, why are people at the schmups.com forums ripping on this game at such an early juncture? There aren't (seemingly) even any screenshots of it. It's amazing how people form such rock solid conclusions based on such a minimal amount of information. IMO, considering the genre's fairly niche popularity, and new shmup is a good news.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    Xexyz, why are people at the schmups.com forums ripping on this game at such an early juncture? There aren't (seemingly) even any screenshots of it. It's amazing how people form such rock solid conclusions based on such a minimal amount of information. IMO, considering the genre's fairly niche popularity, and new shmup is a good news.
    Have you ever been to their forum?
    Ugh.
    Let me sum it up: If it's not by Cave, it's shit.

-GoTaS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guru of Time and Space View Post
    Have you ever been to their forum?
    Ugh.
    Let me sum it up: If it's not by Cave, it's shit.
    That's not even remotely true. There's extremely hardcore G.Rev, Seibu, Psikyo, Raizing/8ing, Compile, Toaplan, Irem, Konami and Treasure fans there as well. In short, most people there have a very broad range of tastes.

That said, the likelihood of this game not sucking is fairly low. I'll remain cautiously optimistic. Who knows, it could wind up being shit like something from Triangle Service or it could wind up being gold like something from G.Rev.

Xexyz, why are people at the schmups.com forums ripping on this game at such an early juncture? *snip* IMO, considering the genre's fairly niche popularity, and new shmup is a good news.
    * SHMUPS *

Also, the game is the first game from a new team that's apparently never made a shmup before. Who knows though, it might not suck. We'll see. Screenshots are fairly meaningless; I'm looking forward to seeing some videos and hearing some hands-on-reports.
    Last edited by roushimsx; 05-30-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate the word "shmup". There has to be a better word to describe the genre -- one that you can say rather than spit out of your mouth like cold coffee.

That said, I know nothing about this game. Is it going to be vertical, horizontal, 3d, what? I like all kinds of games in the genre -- Gradius, Parodius, Salamander, DonPachi, R-Type, and many others, so I'm open to any new developments this game might have in store.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when I play shoot them ups I make sure we shump them all up lol

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goemon View Post
    I hate the word "shmup". There has to be a better word to describe the genre -- one that you can say rather than spit out of your mouth like cold coffee.
    Our beloved genres original moniker "shooter" has been stolen by the FPS hoard. Sad but true.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That said, I know nothing about this game. Is it going to be vertical, horizontal, 3d, what? I like all kinds of games in the genre -- Gradius, Parodius, Salamander, DonPachi, R-Type, and many others, so I'm open to any new developments this game might have in store.
    As Icarus Moonsight stated, shooter has been hijacked by the mainstream success of FPS and 3rd person shooters. As a fall back, we went to shoot em up. As far as I know, shoot em up is still the true term. It's just, syaing it/typing it out as such can get annoying when constantly talking about the genre. Therefore, it was redused to shmup. Shmup is pretty much just saying the word shoot em up out loud real fast without pauses between the words.

A better word to describe the genre? Shoot em up. It's already out there, but many of us just prefer to type out shmup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

There are finally some screenshots up at soldner-x.com. I liked this one:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, is this a PC game, or DC, or... Or what? I haven't seen any reference to where it's being released....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    So, is this a PC game, or DC, or... Or what? I haven't seen any reference to where it's being released....
    My guess would be PC, judging from the screenshot.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guess would be PC, judging from the screenshot.
    So why the big deal, just because PA is involved? I mean, there's piles of Doujin shooters released for the PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    So why the big deal, just because PA is involved? I mean, there's piles of Doujin shooters released for the PC.
    I wasn't aware that showing interest in a game was tantamount to making a "big deal" out of it. Also, goemon's *guess* as to which platform it will be released on is the PC. As of right now no one knows for sure. And honestly, just about any game you might be looking forward to is probably representative of a genre that there are "piles" of already on various platforms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't aware that showing interest in a game was tantamount to making a "big deal" out of it. Also, goemon's *guess* as to which platform it will be released on is the PC. As of right now no one knows for sure. And honestly, just about any game you might be looking forward to is probably representative of a genre that there are "piles" of already on various platforms.
    Sorry, wasn't trying to be combative. Its just that ever since PA posted their first ads for the game I've been trying to figure out what the deal is -- seems quite premature to build hype with no details at all about a game that seems to be in pre-Alpha stages. I'm sure the devs know what platform they are developing for, and the story behind the game, so if they're going to promote it, why not leak some details? So those of us who love shooters can actually get excited for it?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One element that struck me from the screenshot was the "18"s floating about... Does this mean that the weapons will be lvl'd up RPG style? Very interesting.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    One element that struck me from the screenshot was the "18"s floating about... Does this mean that the weapons will be lvl'd up RPG style? Very interesting.
    That would be very cool, but I think it's more likely that the 18's in the pic are simply indicators of damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

I've been periodically checking the official site for Soldner-X and noticed the latest press release announcing platform details. It's going to be on PC, as some of you guessed, and PS3 via the PS Network. Unfortunately, the timeframe for release is listed as "Winter 07/08" which is completely ridiculous. Oh well, here's hoping some actual gameplay footage is released soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Bumping this to the top, as it was just released on the Playstation Network for a reasonable $9.99. Anyone have any impressions? I like the occasional shmup, but I'm not a connoisseur by any means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

If its on the PSN now, I might have to pick it up. I didn't have an interest of it being on the PC, I thought that was a bit of an platform to release it on.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew