Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

Default Gears of War to PS3?

http://www.vgoa.com/index.php?page=n...ain&newsID=194

Supposedly the rumor is that Epic is threatening to move GoW to the PS3. I wonder if this could hurt MS in any way.
    Last edited by Vinnysdad; 05-31-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) KillerCheese's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TEH TAG MAN
    PSN
    coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysdad View Post
    http://www.vgoa.com/index.php?page=n...ain&newsID=194

Supposedly the rumor is that Epic is threatening to move GoW to the PS3. I think Epic just wants MS to shell out more money. I wonder if this could hurt MS in any way.
    dude that wont happen, you have more chance of seeing it on wii. for one thing the install base on ps3 isn't big enough plus ms has ultra deep pockets *bill gates opens wallet* but i can guarantee it will be on windows xp or vista.

*edit* this looses all credibilitie as its taken from sony fan boy hq, sony protection group.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

They've already let out that their will be a PC version, and truly it would be cost effective for them to develope a PS3 version at the same time...exclusivity isn't free, Microsoft needs to pony up the cash. I would not be surprised if much of this has to do with exclusivity for the sequel...

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

Quote Originally Posted by KillerCheese View Post
    dude that wont happen, you have more chance of seeing it on wii. for one thing the install base on ps3 isn't big enough plus ms has ultra deep pockets *bill gates opens wallet* but i can guarantee it will be on windows xp or vista.

*edit* this looses all credibilitie as its taken from sony fan boy hq, sony protection group.

I am just posting it for others to read. I already own it for the 360 and where it ends up wont bother me one bit. Take it easy MS fanboy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I didn't see this one coming. It'll never happen...but it's still interesting.

Doesn't MS own part of Epic? GoW is under the "Microsoft Studios" brand.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I spoke to the man himself.. Mark Rein.. He like PS3 hardware because Unreal Engine 3.0 works better on PS3.
    I met him at the X06 in Canada and he was wearing the same green Shit you usually see him in. Also Epic is just upset there is no way in hell that Gears of War is coming to PS3...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I didn't see this one coming. It'll never happen...but it's still interesting.

Doesn't MS own part of Epic? GoW is under the "Microsoft Studios" brand.
    Nope MS has no part of Epic, I believe MS copped some of the development cost for GoW but I am not entirely sure.

I mean I still think it's possible to see GoW on the PS3, it's definitely gonna be on the PC, really just like MGS 4 probaly will be on the 360 eventually I see GoW and sequels being on the PS3

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Except for the fact that microsoft is the publisher and provided the capital that funded development...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by PS2Hawk View Post
    I spoke to the man himself.. Mark Rein.. He like PS3 hardware because Unreal Engine 3.0 works better on PS3.
    I met him at the X06 in Canada and he was wearing the same green Shit you usually see him in. Also Epic is just upset there is no way in hell that Gears of War is coming to PS3...
    Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Except for the fact that microsoft is the publisher and provided the capital that funded development...
    Oh, come now Ace. You can't honestly expect a couple of fanboys to know how shit works?

Of course we don't really know how ownership broke down with the Gears deal. Depending on who owns what, Epic may be able to buy their way into releasing Gears on the PS3. But there's no way in hell they'd be able to recover the cost.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska View Post
    But there's no way in hell they'd be able to recover the cost.
    Who knows. Gears of War 2 probly wont be out before atleast 2 years from now. In this time PS3 sales can have grown quite a bit. It will come to 360 for sure and if its comming for PS3 also it would be a multi platform release. I'm no expert on development costs, but i doubt it costs several of millions of dollars to port a game.
    Last edited by jajaja; 06-01-2007 at 05:58 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Who knows. Gears of War 2 probly wont be out before atleast 2 years from now. In this time PS3 sales can have grown quite a bit. It will come to 360 for sure and if its comming for PS3 also it would be a multi platform release. I'm no expert on development costs, but i doubt it costs several of millions of dollars to port a game.
    No, it probably doesn't, BUT it does cost several millions of dollars to buy your rights back and if Epic doesn't own 100% of the rights to the IP you can kiss ports and multiplatform sequels goodbye.

Just look at Guitar Hero. Harmonix Developed the game, Red Octane published it. Activision bought Red Octane and got the rights to the IP, but not the code. Thus Activision can make as many GH games as they want with their own code and Harmonix can make any game they want with GH code, but it has to be under a new IP.

Hence Neversoft is doing GH3 for Activision and Harmonix is doing Rock Band for EA.

If MS has any rights to the IP, and the most certainly do, Epic can't do shit with out paying them for use of the rights. Like i said in my initial post, it all comes down to who owns what, and in this case we don't really know.
    Last edited by njiska; 06-01-2007 at 06:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it gets ported.

In this day and age it would be stupid for a developer to let one publisher own a majority of whatever game they were making. I mean, anybody with even a half assed understanding of business and marketing knows that the highest ammount of profit comes from reaching the most people.

Why would a developer make a deal that prohibits them from retaining rights. I'm sure MS can afford to pay Epic a lot of money to keep it exclusive, but I doubt they'd be willing to pay the kind of money that multiplatfor would make them.

I just find it hard to believe that any third party developer nowadays would sign a 100% exclusivity deal, or that any publisher would pony of the ammount of cash needed as and incentive for them to do so.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska View Post
    No, it probably doesn't, BUT it does cost several millions of dollars to buy your rights back and if Epic doesn't own 100% of the rights to the IP you can kiss ports and multiplatform sequels goodbye.

Just look at Guitar Hero. Harmonix Developed the game, Red Octane published it. Activision bought Red Octane and got the rights to the IP, but not the code. Thus Activision can make as many GH games as they want with their own code and Harmonix can make any game they want with GH code, but it has to be under a new IP.

Hence Neversoft is doing GH3 for Activision and Harmonix is doing Rock Band for EA.

If MS has any rights to the IP, and the most certainly do, Epic can't do shit with out paying them for use of the rights. Like i said in my initial post, it all comes down to who owns what, and in this case we don't really know.
    Ye, if MS owns the IP it might be alot more expencive indeed to release it on other consoles too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PS2Hawk View Post
    on a unrelated note,i spoke to da man,master chief himself,and halo 3 will be on ps3!!!! ya know,cuz i typed that master chief said so!!!!!!!!!
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats just like saying a game like halo would go to ps3-games like these will never leave microsoft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know the terms of their agreement but I'm certain MS paid a lot of money to have Gears developed for 360 and am guessing there's some sort of clause for it (and sequels) to be exclusive to their home console.

If the Gears franchise does go multiplatform I wouldn't have a hard time believing it'd be in the next generation. I think it's a safe bet that that franchise will only be available on one system and PC.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    Thats just like saying a game like halo would go to ps3-games like these will never leave microsoft.
    Its not quite the same. Bungie (makers of Halo) is a 1st party company while Epic (makers of Gear of War) is a 3rd party company. If MS owns the Gears of War IP it can be compared tho, but i'm not sure if MS owns it 100%.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

MS certainly owns enough of the IP for this to just be a shitty rumor. There's no way in hell that after what that game did for the 360 (and still does) that they would ever let it see the light of day on a competing system.

If Epic really came to Microsoft and said they wanted to release it on the PS3 and were prepared for the financial costs it would incurr, Microsoft would throw another boatload of money at them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMurf View Post
    Remember back in the day when everyone said it would be a cold day in hell to see Sonic on a Nintendo console, but it happened so never say never. Gears might one day be one the PS3.

Insert Coin (Level 0) KillerCheese's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TEH TAG MAN
    PSN
    coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    Remember back in the day when everyone said it would be a cold day in hell to see Sonic on a Nintendo console, but it happened so never say never. Gears might one day be one the PS3.
    yes but thats only as sega went bankrupt, im sorry but M$ has 31 billion$ and sony has 2$, hmmmm.... more likely we will see some more sony exclusives on 360.