Thread: Advice request: Shipping a large lot of CDs...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Advice request: Shipping a large lot of CDs...

So. I need help. I basically have several dozen CDs I don't want anymore. Either I got them via the big $3 bags at the flea market, or they're just worthless discs that were dumped on me. I want to sell them in a lot on eBay to at least get ten or twenty bucks back. The problem is, these items are really, really, really heavy.

I'm looking for shipping options. We've got FedEx, UPS, and USPS offices in my hometown. What should I use? There's at least 100 CDs, and I can't use Media Mail for the reasons I've already mentioned several times in this forum. Which method would be the cheapest to use for shipping within the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the jewel cases aren't included, putting all the CDs on a giant spindle and then in a Priority Flate Rate box would probably be the cheapest option?

If not, check the rates for FedEx Ground.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I sell wholesale cd lots on Ebay. Shame you can't use media mail since I have often shipped 30-35 cd's at once, in jewel cases, for under $10 and that is with delivery confirmation and in some cases insurance (to nearby zip codes). Just my opinion but Parcel Post by USPS or a flat rate priority mail box would be the best route. It depends on how many cd's you actually have and if they can all fit into a flat rate priority mail box. "Regular" priority mail (not a flat rate box) by USPS will run a good chunk of change so if it is USPS, then you should be using parcel post or the flat rate boxes. Can't help you with UPS or FedEx questions, I never use either.
    Last edited by bangtango; 06-01-2007 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    I sell wholesale cd lots on Ebay. Shame you can't use media mail since I have often shipped 30-35 cd's at once, in jewel cases, for under $10 and that is with delivery confirmation and in some cases insurance (to nearby zip codes). Just my opinion but Parcel Post by USPS or a flat rate priority mail box would be the best route. It depends on how many cd's you actually have and if they can all fit into a flat rate priority mail box. "Regular" priority mail (not a flat rate box) by USPS will run a good chunk of change so if it is USPS, then you should be using parcel post or the flat rate boxes. Can't help you with UPS or FedEx questions, I never use either.
    Yes, it's annoying, but I can't do anything about it.

Do those lots sell for good amounts of money, though? I'm going to be doing a CD count early tomorrow and set aside all the crap I don't want. I'm thinking of maybe posting all of that for local pickup or something so someone from San Diego or nearby can come get them. I'm not so sure yet.

Edit: And no, the Flat Rate boxes are waaaaaaaaaay too small for these lots. There's around 100 or more, and I can only fit about fifteen CDs per box...
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 06-01-2007 at 01:26 AM.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Yes, it's annoying, but I can't do anything about it.

Do those lots sell for good amounts of money, though? I'm going to be doing a CD count early tomorrow and set aside all the crap I don't want. I'm thinking of maybe posting all of that for local pickup or something so someone from San Diego or nearby can come get them. I'm not so sure yet.

Edit: And no, the Flat Rate boxes are waaaaaaaaaay too small for these lots. There's around 100 or more, and I can only fit about fifteen CDs per box...
    Yeah, you may have to do parcel post then. Depending on what cd's you are selling, you can do well. I've sold lots of 30-40 cd's for upwards of $100. Typically I sell anywhere from 20-30 to a time and my "norm" is usually $20-40. With a good listing and the right cd's, you should be able to end up getting between $1-3 per cd before shipping. Obviously that can fluctuate. The stuff that sells the best is heavy metal, classic rock, hair metal and hip hop. I usually get a lot less for pop music and country.

There are so many cd lots being sold at any given time, though, that if you were using Ebay then I would seriously consider both bolding your listing and using a subtitle (listing what name artists you have cd's of) to help your auction stick out from 200-250 other people selling assorted lots of cd's. I know both the subtitle and a bold listing are $1.50 to list but when I use them on my lots, they often sell for a whole lot more so you're getting that money back. Also worth thinking about is what category. You can either list them as "Music CD's" the same way someone might if you were selling a single cd or a few. There is also a "Wholesale" category. I just use the "Music CD" one normally since I assume most resellers just do a plain old keyword search and don't go by category since they figure not everyone bothers listing their lots as "Wholesale." I have no problem getting hits, that's for sure.
    Last edited by bangtango; 06-01-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    There's at least 100 CDs, and I can't use Media Mail for the reasons I've already mentioned several times in this forum.
    Why is this? You don't have to tell me if it's easier just to point me to a thread. I mean, this is the kind of thing media mail is meant for--it's not like you're cheating the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Why is this? You don't have to tell me if it's easier just to point me to a thread. I mean, this is the kind of thing media mail is meant for--it's not like you're cheating the system.
    In a nutshell: My local Post Office clerks will not let me ship anything via Media Mail that is not "educational" or a book. There's a thread I started last week regarding this matter, so you should read that. It's right here.

And everyone... please keep the "OH NOZ MEDIA MAIL IZ FER YOU" discussion out of this thread. Maybe you guys can use it, but I CAN'T, so I don't want to talk about it. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If a lot of them are the same genre, I'd try selling them in lots of 30-40. It'd take a little longer and require 2-3 listings but you may make a little more that way in the long run.