Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NES PowerPak - the NES Flash Card

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I prolly going to wait on it..So he could make it more Compatibale with Pirates game & later games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I prolly going to wait on it..So he could make it more Compatibale with Pirates game & later games

Yeah, assuming you can get one later. I just figured I'd jump on it now, myself. Development will come later.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they had a cart like this for the Neo-Geo, I'd get one. For the NES, at this price, I don't think so. All the NES games that I enjoy are cheap enough to own outright, and the ones that aren't I can easily play on a emulator with the real NES controller (usb style). If this was like $95, I'd probably think about it, but it would need to be 256.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

This alone is making me reconsider selling off my NES system... But all this talk about mappers and the such (WTF is a mapper, and is it going to cause me problems?) is throwing up a red flag. OK, example...

I OWN 5 NES carts. Urban Champion, Legend Of Zelda, NES Open Golf, Mega Man 5, and Super Mario Bros 3. If I put those ROMS on the flash cart, is it going to play? or is there going to be all kinds of hassels to get it to work? I'm looking for simple! I'm not into all this development stuff
    Last edited by Mattiekrome; 06-12-2007 at 09:31 PM.

PSN: SouthRox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, it should be that easy to use. The ROMs in the video/screenshots have just been sorted into directories by mapper, that's all.

What is a mapper?
    The 6502 CPU has only a 16-bit address bus. That means it can only access up to 65536 bytes of either ROM or RAM at one time. And the NES is designed to access half that much ROM. As programmers want to have more complex games, they need a way to spread a game across more than 32K of ROM. Thus, memory mappers are devices which switch different banks of program code into the 32K window of ROM which the CPU can access.

After increasing the address space, the more modern memory mappers really improved the amount of character graphics available to the game, and how it can combine them. The first mapper that changed graphics did it 8K at a time. However, the later mappers allowed games to swap in much smaller sections of CHR ROM, to allow for more animation in the backgrounds. Plus, of course, many game companies came out with their own mappers which had IRQ timers, and allowed tricks to be performed with the PPU. Several mappers also had additional sound chips, to add to the complexity of the music in (really only Famicom) games.

(from my NES Tech FAQ)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A nice idea, but is it that superior to PocketNES + Game Boy Player (or GBA+TV de Advance) ?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    A nice idea, but is it that superior to PocketNES + Game Boy Player (or GBA+TV de Advance) ?
    Um, yes? Even a straight-up computer emulator would be superior to squashing the image and listening to inaccurate audio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Hear hear.

I usually get my NES action from the Xbox and NES emulator. I'm looking forward to this as a better option - at least, if I wanted to use my NES Advantage again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you want to play pirate games like Street Fighter II's & Mortal Kombat's you can't...it dosen't surpport Mappers for those games

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    If you want to play pirate games like Street Fighter II's & Mortal Kombat's you can't...it dosen't surpport Mappers for those games
    Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat wouldn't be high up on the list of games I'd want to play on the NES.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, but there are some really cool pirate originals like Aladdin, Super Shinobi, Super Mario World and those would be high up on my list of games to play on this cart since as has been pointed out, most everything else on the NES worth playing can be picked up for pretty cheap.

Some of the total hacks would be nice, too, but I'm not sure all of those would work either, since many of the best ones don't seem to use the original games' mappers.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    No, but there are some really cool pirate originals like Aladdin, Super Shinobi, Super Mario World and those would be high up on my list of games to play on this cart since as has been pointed out, most everything else on the NES worth playing can be picked up for pretty cheap.

Some of the total hacks would be nice, too, but I'm not sure all of those would work either, since many of the best ones don't seem to use the original games' mappers.

...word is bondage...
    Well, it is now officially sold out and I still haven't heard any reviews from DP owners. Until them, I'm going to stay somehwhat skeptical.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    All those you mention are indeed quite impressive. But my experience is that pirate cartridges, especially of the SF2/Mortal Kombat kind, are cheaper than original games. After all, that's why they're pirates.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has a few limitations that I'd addressed before I jump the gun. It can't create new save files. You either have to supply an existing one or a dummy file that it can overwrite. You also can't update the boot rom without a CopyNES and lately those have been hard to come by.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
    All those you mention are indeed quite impressive. But my experience is that pirate cartridges, especially of the SF2/Mortal Kombat kind, are cheaper than original games. After all, that's why they're pirates.
    I didn't know that since I've so rarely seen them for sale. I don't really ever seek them out, though. Is there a good place where you can reliably find pirate original games? I check eBay now and then, but almost never see anything. I have a hard on for pirate stuff, especially originals.

...word is bondage...

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

It looks like they're available again. I'm awaiting a review as this would be great to help tidy up my NES collection. I'm not too attached to the carts themselves so I wouldn't mind parting with them in favor of one consolidated cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    It has a few limitations that I'd addressed before I jump the gun. It can't create new save files. You either have to supply an existing one or a dummy file that it can overwrite. You also can't update the boot rom without a CopyNES and lately those have been hard to come by.
    The first one is a limitation, but think realistically. When you copy your NES ROMs over to the CF card, chances are you'll have plenty of SAV files in the same directory for all the games (with save features) that you've played.

The second one is a bit worrisome, but the designer of the PowerPak notes that most users will never need to update the boot ROM. The menu code, mapper information, etc, are all stored as files on the CF card and loaded by the boot ROM, which apparently handles the most basic of functions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

That's actually a rather weak limitation. (the SAV file issue) - hopefully something they can resolve.

Can you just create a bunch of dummy files and go with that?

(still waiting to get mine)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm going to wait til I play pirate games like SMW on it..when that happens I'm getting it

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    The first one is a limitation, but think realistically. When you copy your NES ROMs over to the CF card, chances are you'll have plenty of SAV files in the same directory for all the games (with save features) that you've played.

The second one is a bit worrisome, but the designer of the PowerPak notes that most users will never need to update the boot ROM. The menu code, mapper information, etc, are all stored as files on the CF card and loaded by the boot ROM, which apparently handles the most basic of functions.
    You can't assume that everyone will have save files. What if I dump the entire nes library onto a compactflash? I don't want to manually create a save or dummy for each and every game that needs it. As for the boot rom, giving the ability to do updates only makes sense if there is an easy and accessible for everyone to do it. Sending to the few people that have a CopyNES isn't exactly the best thing to do. If you had to send your PSP to Sony everytime a firmware update came out, I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy. Hopefully the boot rom won't need to be updated but mistakes happen. Otherwise, the psp would still be at firmware 1.00 save for a few genuine feature updates.