Thread: Yggdra Union (GBA)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yggdra Union (GBA)

I finaly picked up this game from gamestop yesterday because not only is it becoming extremely rare (there are only a handful of these available on ebay at one time and compolete copies often sell in the $45 range) but also becuase it is from Atlus and the creators of Riviera (another rare RPG for the GBA which I loved).

I was skeptical on the purchase due to its extremely unique gameplay. It plays out like most tactical RPGs such as fire emblem and FFTactics however there are some crucial changes in the standard formula. For one you use cards which you gradualy earn over the course of the game. Each card has some sort of spell or effect as well as a move number. Whichever card you use for the turn, say you use the blizzard card and it has "Mov. 8" that means throughout ALL of your characters on the field you can only move them a total of 8 spaces. Moving one character 8 times usues up the move space, moving two characters 4 times each has the same effect.

Each battle is like a mini war battle that you watch unfold onscreen with tons of varrying stats and stuff that can alter the outcome.

Another huge change is that characters dont have the typical hp and such, instead they have a "morale" which is sort of like a lifebar but not entirely. Say you lose a battle, your morale will drop accordingly to how bad you were beaten. Even if you were defeated but your morale is not depleted you live on to keep battling with that character.

Theres alot more to the game that I cant possibly explain all of it here, I am also 3 hours into the game and the game has not even introducted to me cards' magic and skills yet (it does a good job in gradualy introducing you to new things)

The game however is quite brutal in its difficulty. Your characters morale does not recover after any of the battles, instead you must use scarce items you gain on the battlefield to restore it instead. Enter a battle with your characters all having low moral and its sure defeat (the battles I have done so far all take upwards to 1 hour each)

If theres one thing simply jaw dropping about the game its the visual quality and presentation. It does seem a bit overcrowded at times with text, bars, and numbers, but its just so damn impressive for a GBA game I have a hard time believing its on the platform in the first place. Huge character portraits rich in detail, and upwards of 12 fully animated sprites on screen at once, it all looks awsome. The grid based battlefeilds themselves look plain and boring but thats often a staple of these types pf games on handhelds.

I reccoemdn this game to tactical rpg fans, anyone into highly anime style RPG's, fans of extremely niche games or anyone into something different. The game might be hard to track down in your area though (the only copy I have seen of this game EVER was in this gamestop) but even if you end up hating the game its a good investment or collectors piece due to its current and future rarity.

(this is only good image I could find on IGN of the tactical map itself, its smaller and in japanese)

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is the busiest screen I have ever seen, haha! I seriously can't figure out what's going on in any of them Riviera was a fantastic game, tho, so I might give it a try. Did this just come out?

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Man, I see these all over the place here in Houston. I might have to snag a couple if they're that hard to find.....

I just picked up Summon Night 2 (big fan of the first one) and Etrian Odyssey ($20 off a younger gamer who HATED it) yesterday. I love this new wave of games Atlus is bringing out here.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Rare?!

There's a few copies down here, but they're all at Gamestop, and OPENED, so I don't want 'em.

I really want this game, but I tried the rom and didn't understand one bit of the game. I really liked Riviera, but... I dunno if I should buy this one too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Rare?!
    I really want this game, but I tried the rom and didn't understand one bit of the game. I really liked Riviera, but... I dunno if I should buy this one too.
    The game is really fun! I picked it up a while back and although it has a slight learning curve to it, when you get it, you will be really entertained.

The problem is healing items are scarce so you have to really be very careful who you send against whom. There is a system of strengths and weaknesses that are basically infallible, so don't try something that should be tried. Keep your mermaids in water, build up your good cards such as steal, and always bring a good mix of weapons in to the battle.

This is one of those games where you play 2-3 hours and start over after you understand it...unless you get very lucky and have a slavagable party. (i was one of such lucky people but it took me several more levels to get my heard above water).

In conclusion, the game is awesome, give it some time and you will not regret it...kinda like FFXII I discovered this week haha.

Jeremy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I had actually pre-ordered this game at GameStop a while before it came out, because I assumed that it would be hard to track down a non-floor copy, or maybe even any copy at all. Aside from the one I pre-ordered, I've only seen maybe two or three copies of this game in stores elsewhere. In that greedy collector mentality way, I am pleased to hear that it is already going up in price.

And yes, the game is sweet, and very hard. Hardcore Gamer (I think... ) described it as a cross between a tactical RPG, Dragon Force, and Culdcept, which is pretty apt.
    Feedback thread here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep hearing from various Americans how rare and hard to find this game is. But here in Vancouver, BC, I have not seen an EB ever not have at least one in stock ever since that game came out.

I suspect this game got really crappy distribution.
    Last edited by S-Wind; 06-18-2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typo
    ~Summit Wind

HAIL to the greatest advance in mass miscommunication that is The Internet!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I don't know if I'd go on record as saying this game is hard to find yet. There are a few stores in this area that I can find sealed copies at. This does, though, have the ingredients to make it a tough-to-locate game later on down the road for collectors.

If you have them in the area, Game Crazy is a good bet to find one.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.