Thread: Need Advice from Saturn Collectors

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need Advice from Saturn Collectors

[NOTE: Yes, you might immediately notice how RIDICULOUSLY unnecessarily lengthy this post is. Feel free to skip the first two paragraphs of non-sensical rambling and get right to the questions in paragraph 3.]

Just got a deal that may forever be the best pickup of my gaming life. No, it's not the same as a single big find (like finding a NES prototype at a yard sale, marked for $2 with the rest of the games in a big box of commons), but in terms of a huge pickup of games all at once, I don't know that I'll ever be able to top this one. I saw an ad that was for "Collection of Rare Sega Saturn Games" for $200. I was skeptical at first because these days people call every old game "rare" with no basis whatsoever. But I got in contact with the guy and he wasn't kidding at all. The package easily topped $500-$600 in eBay value. I was even more excited because the Saturn has always been my favorite system to collect for; and because I was able to pick up a bunch of the Saturn games I've always wanted but couldn't afford. I've been gaming my whole life, but I didn't become a hardcore gamer until the 32-bit era, so I've always had an affinity for systems from that time period. Like everyone I had a PSX but that system was so common that collecting for it now is boooooring. The Saturn was the system that kicked off my collection of older systems, so that adds to it as well. Picked one up on eBay circa 2001 and haven't stopped since. Today, games like NiGHTS and Panzer Dragoon Saga rank in my Top 5 all-time favorites.

But blah, blah, blah, that's all well and good, but let me get to the point now. I'm not a completist like some collector's out there. My preference is to pick up only the best games available for each system, rather than attempting to get a complete set of every game released for the system. It's just not worth the investment to me to buy bad games and 100 sports titles just for the sake of having every game for a system. However, the only one I have considered completing is the Sega Saturn (and maybe a few of the dead-on-arrival systems with no real games library, but those don't count). Usually this wouldn't be feasible because I wouldn't want to invest in all the high-priced titles for the system. But now that I have a few of them, it looks much more reasonable. But I know that once I sell these I will NEVER complete the Saturn collection; I just wouldn't want to have to go through the time and financial process of attaining them again. Since the decision I need help on here is: do I profit off these, or do I hold on to them and go for the entire collection?

Now the questions. First, how big is the U.S. Saturn library? Anyone out their have a complete collection and know what kind of financial investment it takes to get there (or know an approximate dollar amount even if you don't have a complete collection)? Basically, I'm trying to find out if it's even reasonable to make the attempt. Also if you have free time, please check the list below and tell me what other expensive titles I'm missing. Guardian Heroes, House of the Dead, and Saturn Bomberman come immediately to mind, but can't think of many others (I will be getting Radiant Silvergun too, but other than that I'm not too interested in imported games). And finally, any other people on here have the Saturn as their top system to collect for? From my experiences in the Buying/Selling forum it seems like the SNES is the big collectors console on here (and maybe the NES too)! I love those too, but the Saturn has just won me over too much through the years.

Here's what came with the package (a few are disc-only, but all the rares are complete):

Sega Saturn system (with the ugliest custom paint job ever; the lid and bottom half of the console are painted GREEN!)
    Official Sega Backup Memory cart
    Model 1 controller

NiGHTS in original box with 3D controller
    Dark Savior
    Resident Evil
    In the Hunt
    Mass Destruction
    X-Men: Children of the Atom
    Virtua Cop 2
    Gun Griffon
    Command & Conquer
    Skeleton Warriors
    Three Dirty Dwarves
    D
    Albert Odyssey
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Shining Force III
    Dragon Force
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    And over 25 other common titles

Yes, only several of those are of really high value, but the ones that are definitely rank up their at the top of the Saturn price range, so it's a major head-start. I have maybe 30 various titles myself but none over $20 value (I've sold all my more valuable games over the years; including my previous copy of PD Saga). I know I am a LOOOOOONG ways away from the complete collection, but can you guys enlighten me as to what big-money titles I would be lacking here? I have hundreds of titles left to go but if the majority are commons with only several rares mixed in, I can handle that. But if I still have a major investment many more expensive titles, than I probably have to stick to collecting only the best games and pass up on going for the whole thing. And hey, I'm also open to any game recommendations I might not already have for the system (even imports)! There's a chance I already own it with all my commons, but who knows.
    Last edited by PSXferrari; 06-22-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head in terms of high-dollar US releases are House of the Dead, Guardian Heroes, Daytona USA netlink, and the rest of the Working Designs releases.

Congrats on the haul!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The U.s Library is around 249 Games. I'm working on a full collection, I'm about 1/3rd of the way at 90 games. Some of the Bigger Names: Shining the Holy Ark, Sonic Jam, The Netlink Games, (However the Netlink is cheap.) Burning Rangers and Shining Wisdom are the ones that come to mind. I could't even guess the cost. Finding games complete can be difficult but not impossible.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I am also going for a complete collection and its hard as hell to find games anywhere for me in my area. I have gotten some decent games over the past couple years and made a couple good trades, but thats about it. I'd say you already have PD Saga so there are only a handful of bigger titles to get. It seems as though Daytona Netlink is the hardest one to come by. I got a copy of Burning Rangers for under $35 on E-bay, complete. I'd say hold onto those games you got unless you absolutely NEED the money for something more inmportant. If it were me, I'd definately keep those games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

I've got a complete US collection (mostly, missing 2 variants) and without a shadow of a doubt the hardest game to get is Daytona USA: CCE Netlink Edition.

It was available only through Sega via mail order. Very few were sold. Sega-Parts aquired what was left and apparently had a small stock sometime back. It shows up on eBay around 4 times yearly. The prices recently have gone from the $100 - $200 range to $470 for the last one I saw on eBay. It really is a "grail" game that people just don't know about.

You've got a decent head start. The big dollar titles are Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, House of the Dead, Shining Force III, and Dragon Force and only PDS routinely goes over $100.

Getting a lot of the cheaper titles can be extremely annoying too because some people just don't sell them. It took me FOREVER to get a complete WWF In Your House for some reason.

I'll also mention cases. If you go through eBay to get a complete, expect a LOT of broken cases so be prepared to live with it, our triple buy cheap games for replacements.

If you want to go totally complete, keep in mind that Virtua Fighter has a very rare longbox variant and there are versions of Virtua Cop and Virtua Cop 2 that came packed in with the Stunner (light gun). Also, Nights had 3 releases (sleeve, standard case, packed with 3D controller), and Dragon Force and Rayearth have variant disc art.

I loved collecting the Saturn even though it could be deceptively fustrating. I say go for it since you've already got a very nice library. But be ready to start buying Saturn Imports too; a full collection of US games is nice and all but the import library is just too awesome to leave alone.
    Last edited by blissfulnoise; 06-22-2007 at 10:59 AM.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know that Virtua Fighter had a very rare longbox variant, as I always thought the pack-in jewel case version was the only version released in US. However, the VF jewel case I bought off eBay recently did not have a back cover. Is that normal??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer View Post
    I didn't know that Virtua Fighter had a very rare longbox variant, as I always thought the pack-in jewel case version was the only version released in US. However, the VF jewel case I bought off eBay recently did not have a back cover. Is that normal??
    I'd have to double check mine but I'm pretty sure it is.

Oops, clarification, it's Virtua Fighter Remix that has a longbox variant. Not Virtua Fighter.
    Last edited by blissfulnoise; 06-22-2007 at 12:32 PM.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

when I go for the complete collection, I don't think I'm going to count variants of the same game, I think I'd rather go with having every single US game for Saturn. I won't count imports either (but thats just my collection.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well you sure got a nice deal there. One game that wasn't already mentioned would be Winning Post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

For $200, Panzer Dragoon Saga is worth pretty much the whole price!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    I've got a complete US collection (mostly, missing 2 variants) and without a shadow of a doubt the hardest game to get is Daytona USA: CCE Netlink Edition.

It was available only through Sega via mail order. Very few were sold. Sega-Parts aquired what was left and apparently had a small stock sometime back. It shows up on eBay around 4 times yearly. The prices recently have gone from the $100 - $200 range to $470 for the last one I saw on eBay. It really is a "grail" game that people just don't know about.

You've got a decent head start. The big dollar titles are Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, House of the Dead, Shining Force III, and Dragon Force and only PDS routinely goes over $100.

Thanks to everyone so far for the replies. Not sure how I managed to forget about Burning Rangers-- that's one I definitely need to pick up. Guardian Heroes I owned for a long time-- loved it, beat it ton of times, and finally sold it. So that's one I'd hold off on while I worked on other games. Never even heard of a Netlink version of Daytona. Speaking of which, is it still possible to use the NetLink? And if so, are their groups of people that still do?

Getting a lot of the cheaper titles can be extremely annoying too because some people just don't sell them. It took me FOREVER to get a complete WWF In Your House for some reason.

I'll also mention cases. If you go through eBay to get a complete, expect a LOT of broken cases so be prepared to live with it, our triple buy cheap games for replacements.

Yeah, I've gotten quite a few broken cases from games I've bought on eBay. In some cases they were already broken beforehand and noted in the item description, and in other cases the seller packaged it crappily to save on shipping and it broke in the mail. (It'd be nice if they would use boxes.) About a week ago I received Area 51 in a bubblewrap mailer with decent padding and FRAGILE written all over the package-- and it still had been smashed to pieces. Then today I received the worst packaging EVER-- Grid Runner in a plain manilla envelope with this thin piece of bubblewrap wrapped only halfway around it. And the case arrived absolutely PERFECT with no cracks! Anyone even slightly familiar with the Saturn cases knows that that's probably a bigger miracle than me finding this lot of games for $200...

If you want to go totally complete, keep in mind that Virtua Fighter has a very rare longbox variant and there are versions of Virtua Cop and Virtua Cop 2 that came packed in with the Stunner (light gun). Also, Nights had 3 releases (sleeve, standard case, packed with 3D controller), and Dragon Force and Rayearth have variant disc art.

I'd probably pass on the different variants. I just can't justify buying the same game different times just for different packaging (except maybe NiGHTS, to get the big case version rather than just the jewel case from the controller package). I currently own two copies of Dragon Force (one from this lot and one I had before). So I have two of the different discs-- is there a way to find out which is the more rare variant, or were they all produced equally?

I loved collecting the Saturn even though it could be deceptively fustrating. I say go for it since you've already got a very nice library. But be ready to start buying Saturn Imports too; a full collection of US games is nice and all but the import library is just too awesome to leave alone.

I own only a couple import fighting games right now (DOA, KOF96, etc), but that's one of my least favorite genres. Anyone have some recommendations for some "must play" import titles? And, if possible, list the genre they're from too. Radiant Silvergun is an obvious must, but I don't know ANY others. Although I am an RPG fan, I'd probably pass on stuff like Japanese text-heavy RPGs and the like (no point in an RPG to me if I can't understand the story), but if the games comes with English or the in-game text doesn't really matter to the experience, than I'm all for any other suggestions.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    For $200, Panzer Dragoon Saga is worth pretty much the whole price!

Yeah, the second he mentioned Saga I was sold. Even without Saga the package is worth well over $200, but the fact that that game is here just put it way over the top. I already beat it years back and then resold it (I didn't have much money at the time so I justified the purchase by telling myself I would "rent" it-- buy it on eBay, beat it, and then resell it on eBay). It replaced Final Fantasy Tactics as my all-time favorite game, so it's one I've always wished I had held onto.

A question on PD Saga: for my previous copy and many I see on eBay, the 3 extra discs game in brown disc holders with cellophane that you could see through (if I remember correctly). The 3 extra discs I got with my new copy of Saga came in white cardboard sleeves. They look completely legit and fit perfectly into the groove in the Saturn case, so I don't think these were extra sleeves the guy put them in. So does anyone know if this is correct and, if so, why the difference in disc sleeves?
    Last edited by PSXferrari; 06-22-2007 at 03:12 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

I need ten more...though it seems unlikely I'll ever pay thast much for Daytona; that'll be my grail along with Bounty Bob for the Atari 5200.

Most people like to import the AD&D games. You need the memory expander/region card (4in1), I've not gotten one yet myself; I'll do that as soon as I finish my collection (minus one).

I would say the average game is about $16 shipped on ebay, so it's not the cheapest collection to put together, though you've gotten those biggies out of the way.

Buy the cheap games first while watching the prices on the expensive games so that when you go to buy them you know what a good price is...

Winter Heat and Winning Post were games I paid more for than I expected...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Winter Heat and Winning Post were games I paid more for than I expected...

Yeah, I had been watching for Winter Heat on eBay for a couple months and it was never showing up. When it finally did, I was willing to pay the $25 the auction ended at. I knew I was overpaying, but I just didn't feel like watching for it anymore. Then just a few weeks ago I visited the DP Store and Joe had a complete copy for $9. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice to see another collector for the good 'ol Saturn on board. You might want to check out the thread I began last year:
    Saturn collectors share info
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go for it man, that system rules!

I've been lucky enough to score sooooo many of the hard titles for nothing...Guardian Heroes, 9.99 FTW. I've also managed to grab HOTD in a huge lot with other games for 40, and have aquired a virtua cop w/ gun box set, lots of great stuff.

My only problems:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Shining Force III
    Burning Rangers

UGHHHH. I have almost 100 games and I think you're better off than me just because of those titles. Congrats on the awesome buy, BTW. There's so many crappy common games but they're very easy to find. Try searching out "saturn game lot" on ebay, I'm sure you'll find tons of crap games thrown together you can buy 5-10 at a time for very little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSXferrari View Post
    I own only a couple import fighting games right now (DOA, KOF96, etc), but that's one of my least favorite genres. Anyone have some recommendations for some "must play" import titles? And, if possible, list the genre they're from too. Radiant Silvergun is an obvious must, but I don't know ANY others. Although I am an RPG fan, I'd probably pass on stuff like Japanese text-heavy RPGs and the like (no point in an RPG to me if I can't understand the story), but if the games comes with English or the in-game text doesn't really matter to the experience, than I'm all for any other suggestions.
    I'd go with all of the Parodius games and also Keio Flying Squadron 2. Mmm... imports.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by PSXferrari View Post
    Plenty of good import shooters for the saturn...it's almost what the system is known for.

Soukyugurentai is awesome, and the price has really dropped out lately. Dodonpachi is awesome(although sticklers hold the PS1 version to be marginally better), there's a Gradius and a Salamander collection, Parodius games, twinkle star sprites, Cotton 2...and so on. The import fighting game library is also excellent, but outside of the Marvel games and obscure neo geo fighters, a lot of them are out, or are coming out, on the PS2.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

If you are into shoot them up and are looking at imports here are some recommendations:

Radiant Silvergun
    Batsugun
    Battle Garegga
    Blast Wind
    Hyper Duel

these titles are exclusive to the Saturn and with the exception of Batsugun are a bit on the pricey side.

Many of the other titles other folks have/will mention can be found on other consoles and some are better than Saturn, as good as Saturn, or worse than Saturn. All in all the differences are minuscule and are things that the arcade highbrow will nit pick to death about

Darius Gaiden
    Galactic Attack(Layer Section)
    these shooties are available in the USA and are quite affordable and easy to locate (online anyways)
    They are also exclusive to the Sega Saturn

Best of the luck with your Saturn Adventures!