Thread: Does anyone else care about game inserts and registration cards?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does anyone else care about game inserts and registration cards?

In all my days of game collecting I've noticed that I'm one of the very few people, even among collectors, who cares about having all the inserts that originally came with a game. A game just doesn't seem complete without everything that was in the box when the shrinkwrap was ripped off. Yet I have yet to see a list, for example, of which inserts came with NES games, even though nintendo put serial numbers on each insert. It seems that the collecting community as a whole considers a game complete with box and manual. Should I just stop worrying about inserts, since no one else seems to care?

Cherry (Level 1) -_-Nintendo-_-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well for low price common games I don't really care for all the extras, just the manual and box will do fine.

But for a high price in demand rare games I would think if I am paying 200 that I would like it truly complete. I saw an Ebay auction of the PAL version collectors edition of Castlevania: SOTN saying it was "Complete" even though it was missing the art book and music CD only becasue it had the manual, disc and cover. Bleh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Depends what inserts are in question. Subscription cards for mags? Not important to me. Cards for care and health warnings? Still not important to me. A poster with maps on one side and a detail listing of all the items in the game? Damn important to me. Some things are too small and beneath my attention, others are important enough.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Don't all Game Cube games come with that stupid users manual? Stuff like that, a registration card, a Nintendo Power subscription card or some generic poster (like Tengen used to pack in their 8-bit/16-bit games) promoting upcoming releases are just not very important to me. In fact, I go out of my way to get rid of them by tossing them in a box or envelope when I sell something, almost like a freebie when really I just would rather have those useless inserts become someone else's problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really depends. Stuff like the health warning booklet that is the same with every single game doesn't matter to me a bit. I like to have anything that is unique to the game - if I can just grab the slip of paper or booklet out of another game and put it in the one I want "complete," no doubt it's something I don't care to keep. The only real exception is stuff like those Nintendo Power subscription slips that you see sometimes, but only if they're advertising a "free-with-purchase" gift that is pertinent to the game (walkthrough, t-shirt, etc.).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I used to care about that kind of thing, but not anymore. I guess I've gotten more relaxed as I get older about that sort of thing. For example, when I would buy a new Atari Jaguar game, I would take out the instruction manual and cart and leave in anything else, like the registration card. A lot of the time, if I had only bought one game, I might put the receipt into the box too. Nowadays, it's not that important to me. I sometimes buy used games off Amazon.com or if I'm filled with self-loathing, from GameStop. They rarely come complete. Now, I'm more interested in the game than the bits that come with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I'm selling/eBaying/trading a game (on DP for ex.) I'll make it a point to mention a game is complete if that's the case. If the reg./warranty card is blank &/or still attached I'll say so too, more as a selling pt than anything else.

AFA me buying games, it's not real important.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a copy of Jim Power for SNES that was sold as "complete" but is missing the 3D glasses. Sort of inexcusable when the front of the box says in big letters "SPECIAL GLASSES INCLUDED".

I'm a stickler for spine cards on Japanese games, but registration cards (which are almost always unique to the game in these cases) are just a nice extra.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

As long as the box (or insert) and manual are in good shape, I could really care less about anything else, but it is nice when they are included.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, I would imagine there's no list for those kinds of items because it would be damn hard to know for sure just what a game is supposed to have unless you yourself open up a sealed copy or have a reliable source who does. Logic tells us that every game is supposed to have a case/box and a manual (except in a few bizarre cases like the US versions of Last Blade and Faselei for Neo Geo Pocket Color), but there aren't such rules for the most part that can be applied to inserts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Well, I would imagine there's no list for those kinds of items because it would be damn hard to know for sure just what a game is supposed to have unless you yourself open up a sealed copy or have a reliable source who does. Logic tells us that every game is supposed to have a case/box and a manual (except in a few bizarre cases like the US versions of Last Blade and Faselei for Neo Geo Pocket Color), but there aren't such rules for the most part that can be applied to inserts.

Exactly. I was forced as a child to sell my 8-bit and 16-bit stuff before I could buy a N64/PSX, So I couldn't really make one of those lists. Every DS game I have, however, I've opened, so I could easily whip up a list of DS games with inserts. For older games, If you search ebay long enough, you'll notice pictures of the game complete with inserts.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am one who keeps all inserts in all of my games. All of NES and SNES games are missing some inserts, but I was rather young back then and didn't really care. Now all of my current games have all inserts, posters, registration cards etc. etc. still in the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, there is a guy over on NintendoAge who is documenting what the original contents of NES games were. Basically, he gets people who open sealed games to tell them what was inside of the box.
    The thing is, not too many people want to open their sealed games. Usually if there is a rip in the seal, people will open them up.
    Here is a link to the thread they are discussing it in:
    http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...&enterthread=y
    Last edited by Jumpman Jr.; 06-23-2007 at 04:38 PM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I could care less.

If I buy a game new then yeah all that stuff is going to be there. I just keep it.

When buying games used, I am have a few requirements:
    disc games - case, manual, insert(s)
    import disc games - case, manual, insert(s) - I go extra mile to find the copy without the spine as I can save mad cash!

cart games:
    NES,SNES,Super Famicom - loose carts
    Famicom - Box
    Genesis, SMS - clamshell case or box
    Tg-16/PCE - jewel case, manual, and sleeve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Inserts were never a huge deal to me, although now with all my new games I am sure to keep every little thing that it originaly came eith. Not only does it make it look more complete, but years down the road it seems to me like a game with all the originaly inserts catches more $ than one without, although for me it does not make a big deal at all for my collection personaly.

Instructions and box are a must for most systems for me though.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr. View Post
    Actually, there is a guy over on NintendoAge who is documenting what the original contents of NES games were. Basically, he gets people who open sealed games to tell them what was inside of the box.
    The thing is, not too many people want to open their sealed games. Usually if there is a rip in the seal, people will open them up.
    Here is a link to the thread they are discussing it in:
    http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...&enterthread=y
    Good to know! Would anyone have any interest if I started a similar DS list? It'll be much much easier to get a list done when the system is still new, when people think nothing of ripping open a sealed game.