0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    I could've swore that the Tengen version was released first then pulled because Nintendo worked out a deal with Elorg to publish the game, thus kicking off the whole removal of Tengen as a 3rd party publisher for Nintendo and the switch to the black cartridges.
    My fault. Tengen was first. I have no idea why I said that. I meant to put "Nintendo" but didn't for some reason. Must have been thinking 'original arcade machine' and accidentally transposed a word.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Tengen Tetris is the superior model.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the two player split-screen option in Tengen's Tetris is much a of a selling point since the two games have absolutely no interaction with each other; there's no junk droppping or anything like that. It's essentially just two single player games going on simultaneously. Realy multiplayer versus Tetris didn't get introduced until the Gameboy version (and every version after that). The two player cooperative (though it's just as often a versus game too) option is pretty cool, though, and I'm still surprised that no Tetris game since has adopted it.

What's really better about Tengen's version is the physics, though, in my opinion. The pieces move much more smoothly and set in place fast when they land, this allows for very fast gameplay, which I like in Tetris. The movement of the pieces in Nintendo's version is more plodding, even at higher levels there's a distinct pause between when the piece can move from on tile location to the next. I find that very frustrating, but maybe it's just because I'm so used to Tengen's version. Nintendo's version allows for more movement of the piece after it's landed, which can be handy sometimes--such as when you need to rotate a piece into position--but also leads to misplacements if you're already inticipating which way you're going to move the next piece that's about to fall but the last piece that just landed hasn't quite set into place yet.

Also, whoever said that Nintendo's version looks better...well, I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I think Tengen's version is much much nicer looking. It's got cleaner lines and uses more solid colors. Nintendo's version uses the same horrible palette choices and dirty complicated lines and tiles that ruined so many NES games, in my opinion.

And yes, giving the original poster opinions about which version is better is indeed the best way to help him decide which version to buy. Gameplay is the unknown, Nero can see for himself what the cost of each version is and if he knows a bit about how each version actually plays, he can decide on his own which version is more worth its price.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a HUGE fan on the Tengen version, I must say get the Tengen version, if you don't mind the added cost.. It has better music, smoother gameplay, and it's a cool conversation piece..

If you mind the added cost, get the Nintendo version, it plays just fine, but I do think, in my opinion, the Tengen version is better.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good to see another Macross fan on the boards. Welcome to DP! Enjoy your stay!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    I could've swore that the Tengen version was released first then pulled because Nintendo worked out a deal with Elorg to publish the game, thus kicking off the whole removal of Tengen as a 3rd party publisher for Nintendo and the switch to the black cartridges.

I prefer the Tengen version simply because it's the closest to the arcade version. I would say buy the Nintendo made one simply from a cost standpoint and then later on pick up the Tengen version if you have the desire to see what all the fuss is about and have the disposable income.

Oh and hey, first post! Been lurking here forever, figured I'd post sooner than later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have the Tengen version. There was no Nintendo version out yet when I bought it. And when the Nintendo version did come out, damn if I was going to fork it out to buy yet another version of the same game.

I've tried out the Nintendo version via emulator.. and the gameplay seems to be a lot tougher. The pieces stick immediately. That being said, my complaint about the Tengen version is that although it has 2 player simultaneous.. there's zero interaction between the 2. You can't compete really. So it's just like you're both playing in your own little world. *yawn*. But that's about it

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    If you want to argue semantics, take into consideration that the OP did NOT specify what they wanted to know. They didn't ask about multiplayer, music, or graphics. They just wanted to know which one they should buy. There was nothing about 'which has better features' or 'should I buy the cheaper one first'. People will interpret non-specific questions differently and answer them in such fashion.

We're telling them what features we enjoy about each of the individual games, and they can use that data to form an opinion of their own. Some of us may be more opinionated on the matter, which leads to 'buy this instead'. But the OP does have a mind of their own and can make educated decisions based on information they have gathered.

This is all true, but let's continue with semantics then. You can usually make a few common sense judgments based on the OP's post, as long as you're semi-intelligent. (I again apologize if I am giving people on a message board way too much credit by actually assuming they have any intelligence at all.) So we know that right now the OP has easy access to the cheap version of Tetris. We can also assume that he is not familiar with either version of the game, or else he wouldn't be asking the question. I'm also sure he doesn't have a ton of money to spend on random games-- or else he would have spent the likely <$5 on the Nintendo version from his friend without even holding off on it. Plus, he's a gamer like the rest of us.... and how many fellow gamers out there are rich enough to toss money around? Not any I know. Finally, the OP is probably a big NES fan but I assume he's not a hardcore collector for it, or else he would have bought Tengen simply because of the collectibility factor.

Yes, these are all assumptions. One or two may turn out to be wrong, but we can predict that the majority are more likely correct. So, common sense tells us that the answer to this person's question is: buy the Nintendo version. He's not very familiar with the game, so why spend big bucks on the Tengen version first? He can make sure he likes it for $3 and then spend 10x that if he's really into it (and how many people here actually play their copy of Tengen Tetris enough nowadays to get $30 value out of it????????). Anyone who says to buy the Tengen version is 100% WRONG. Yes, there is no leeway here. You are just wrong. And if you think you're not wrong, then you're wrong again. [And if anyone here thinks they weren't wrong than just check the logic Nero used to make his decision and you'll realize that, yes, unfortunately I'm right and you're wrong.]

And to answer the OP's question, though it seems they've made up their mind:

The original Tetris is more popular to the casual folk, thanks to high distribution. It's graphically superior, no doubt. However, I prefer the Tengen version. It's closest to the original arcade machine, if that matters to you. Multiplayer and music are a nice plus, too. The only downside is that it's pricey.

Now, from reading everyone's comments in here it seems that the Tengen version is far more popular (although I'm sure the collector's mystique of it adds more to the popularity than the actual gameplay). This is fine, and everyone is welcome to state that the Tengen version is way better. In fact, it's a good thing to do because it may help other people searching this topic to answer their own questions about the Tengen version-- because perhaps they are hardcore Tetris fans or NES collectors. But the main objective is to answer the OP's questions-- so you can state that Tengen is the superior version, so long as you qualify that the Nintendo version is probably a better fit for someone that is just getting into the game (rather than making it sound like the Nintendo version is complete crap and you either buy Tengen or nothing). Because, again, the Nintendo version is the only right answer here.

Examples of dumb posts:

"Tengen Tetris, by a landslide."
    "Tengen, 100%."
    "The tengen tetris is much better for one huge reason: It has simulateneous 2 player support. That makes it far superior than nintendo's version."
    "Tengen Tetris is the superior model."
    "Tengen Tetris is far more superior then the Nintendo version, get that one."

Examples of good posts:

Default Gen- "Considering the Nintendo version is about 3 bucks you might as well get that and see if you like it."
    Griking
    PSerge
    And the award for best answering the OP's question goes to..... Bangtango

Congratulations to all of today's winners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PSXferrari View Post
    Because, again, the Nintendo version is the only right answer here.
    No it isn't the only right answer. If that were the case there wouldn't even be a question, since a question requires at least two options and you used the word "only" implying a lack of choice.

Why don't you stop being a prick and telling people how they have to answer a question that isn't even yours? The OP was looking for advice and he got several forms of it. They are all valid whether you like the form they came in or not.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

This is all true, but let's continue with semantics then. You can usually make a few common sense judgments based on the OP's post, as long as you're semi-intelligent. (I again apologize if I am giving people on a message board way too much credit by actually assuming they have any intelligence at all.) So we know that right now the OP has easy access to the cheap version of Tetris. We can also assume that he is not familiar with either version of the game, or else he wouldn't be asking the question. I'm also sure he doesn't have a ton of money to spend on random games-- or else he would have spent the likely <$5 on the Nintendo version from his friend without even holding off on it. Plus, he's a gamer like the rest of us.... and how many fellow gamers out there are rich enough to toss money around? Not any I know. Finally, the OP is probably a big NES fan but I assume he's not a hardcore collector for it, or else he would have bought Tengen simply because of the collectibility factor.

Yes, these are all assumptions. One or two may turn out to be wrong, but we can predict that the majority are more likely correct. So, common sense tells us that the answer to this person's question is: buy the Nintendo version. He's not very familiar with the game, so why spend big bucks on the Tengen version first? He can make sure he likes it for $3 and then spend 10x that if he's really into it (and how many people here actually play their copy of Tengen Tetris enough nowadays to get $30 value out of it????????). Anyone who says to buy the Tengen version is 100% WRONG. Yes, there is no leeway here. You are just wrong. And if you think you're not wrong, then you're wrong again. [And if anyone here thinks they weren't wrong than just check the logic Nero used to make his decision and you'll realize that, yes, unfortunately I'm right and you're wrong.]

Now, from reading everyone's comments in here it seems that the Tengen version is far more popular (although I'm sure the collector's mystique of it adds more to the popularity than the actual gameplay). This is fine, and everyone is welcome to state that the Tengen version is way better. In fact, it's a good thing to do because it may help other people searching this topic to answer their own questions about the Tengen version-- because perhaps they are hardcore Tetris fans or NES collectors. But the main objective is to answer the OP's questions-- so you can state that Tengen is the superior version, so long as you qualify that the Nintendo version is probably a better fit for someone that is just getting into the game (rather than making it sound like the Nintendo version is complete crap and you either buy Tengen or nothing). Because, again, the Nintendo version is the only right answer here.

Examples of dumb posts:

"Tengen, 100%."
    "The tengen tetris is much better for one huge reason: It has simulateneous 2 player support. That makes it far superior than nintendo's version."

Examples of good posts:

Default Gen- "Considering the Nintendo version is about 3 bucks you might as well get that and see if you like it."
    Griking
    PSerge

Wow, I've never seen someone put so much time and effort into trolling. But really that's all this is.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    No it isn't the only right answer. If that were the case there wouldn't even be a question, since a question requires at least two options and you used the word "only" implying a lack of choice.
    Right. A question does have two choices. But are you telling me that questions can't have right and wrong answers? Maybe at the school you went to. As for the question asked here, the OP asked because he didn't know the answer. But that doesn't mean that there was more than one right answer to the question.

Why don't you stop being a prick and telling people how they have to answer a question that isn't even yours? The OP was looking for advice and he got several forms of it. They are all valid whether you like the form they came in or not.
    Right again. I am being a prick. Still, I just think that people should offer good advice or no advice at all. Yes, the topic has shifted slightly as we're now talking more semantics and such so I'm being more of a prick than originally intended. Nonetheless, for future reference, I already know I'm a prick.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, anyways, I've made my point but this is a message board so everyone is going to post retarded no matter what. So since no one is going to learn how to give advice and I've only managed to successfully piss off all the terrible posters here, I will quit now while I'm behind. I realize I went a little overboard in defense of my beliefs, and apologize to all the decent posters out there. I shouldn't have known better than to expect intelligence on a message board. So now I'm done, but feel free to continue telling the OP to buy Tengen Tetris. As Garry Silljo points out, you do have the right to give bad advice, and I apologize for acting like I have any right to tell you otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nero 99 View Post
    Thanks for the replys> from what it sounds like nintendos looks better but tengens has better features. ill get the nin tendo one for now then by a tengen one as soon as i find it.(for a good price that is)
    I'm sure you'll find the Tengen version for a few bucks someday in a second hand store, lawn sale or thrift store. It will probably be the first and last time you find it in the wild. I wouldn't recommend buying it off of Ebay unless you are dying to get it. I mean the game is so simple and there are so many other versions out there, both good and not so good, including a ton of "clones" that you can download for free off of dozens of web sites. It is even on cell phones and those 96-in-1 brick games. My copy of Tengen Tetris came from a video rental shop that was going out of business and selling all of their NES rentals for $2. What a find that was, certainly a good day for cheap NES games that afternoon I ebayed it awhile back, though

Maybe I have bad taste but I particularly like the music on the NES version of Tetris, especially the default theme.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Right. A question does have two choices. But are you telling me that questions can't have right and wrong answers?
    When the question deals with opinions such as "which version do you think I should buy?" Then yes, I'm telling you that you can't have right and wrong answers. If some one thinks he should buy Tengen Tetris, then that is the right answer for that person. You can disagree with their take, but you can't deny the fact that it is THEIR take and therefore correct and true in their eyes. You think Nintendo is the "right" answer, but unless the OP actually plays both and decides for their own self all we will ever know is that is what you THINK, and not knowledge at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Examples of dumb posts:

"Tengen, 100%."

Examples of good posts:

Griking
    PSerge

So, tell me again, because maybe I was out of the room at the time....

Who died and made you President? Someone wanna ban this dickless freak of nature? I've checked all his other posts - all he does is insult everyone.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 06-25-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    I've checked all his other posts - all he does is insult everyone.
    Weren't you paying attention? He has to insult us because it relieves his terrible burden of being the only intelligent person, ... EVER! (sarcasm)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great Hera, I didn't realize we were taking the SAT's here. Yee-ikes.

To branch off in a different direction, you might also pick up Tetris 2 (also for NES) for a couple of bucks. That one is great fun too.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I shouldn't have known better than to expect intelligence on a message board. So now I'm done, but feel free to continue telling the OP to buy Tengen Tetris. As Garry Silljo points out, you do have the right to give bad advice, and I apologize for acting like I have any right to tell you otherwise.
    The guy asked what version he should buy, he even said he was satisfied with the responses that were made and had made his final decision. So again, I really don't see what the problem is here, other than you. You didn't like the way that people answered the question, because you felt it wasn't answered correctly, you're basically telling people that their personal opinion is wrong. If you don't like the way people on here do things, then make your way somewhere else, you're the only person that has a problem with it.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, as you guys point out, everyone has a right to their opinion, so I guess according to you all I have a right to my opinion too.

As I said before, I'm done with my ranting, so even if I was an idiot before I'll be the mature one now and end it. So I won't reply to all these posts here. But you're more than welcome to keep them coming-- they're more entertaining than offensive to me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    So, tell me again, because maybe I was out of the room at the time....

Who died and made you President? Someone wanna ban this dickless freak of nature? I've checked all his other posts - all he does is insult everyone.

I'm sure you took the time to go through "all" my other posts. In a select few topics, I do have strong opinions and state them, but that doesn't count as insulting to anyone but you. You're only upset because you were one of the people's posts who I said was wrong earlier in this topic. Fortunately, the mods are not as ban-happy over one trivial misstep by a poster.

However, you're probably right that I was insulting in this topic and I apologized already for that. Now you show me three posts besides this one where I legitimately insulted someone without merit, and I will leave myself. If all I really do is "insult everyone" and I'm such a bad person on these boards, than 3 out of 200+ posts shouldn't be too hard. Right? Try it-- it'll be fun, like a scavenger hunt. Pretty sweet grand prize too.
    Last edited by PSXferrari; 06-26-2007 at 03:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'm sure you took the time to go through "all" my other posts. In a select few topics, I do have strong opinions and state them, but that doesn't count as insulting to anyone but you. You're only upset because you were one of the people's posts who I said was wrong earlier in this topic. Fortunately, the mods are not as ban-happy over one trivial misstep by a poster.

However, you're probably right that I was insulting in this topic and I apologized already for that. Now you show me three posts besides this one where I legitimately insulted someone without merit, and I will leave myself. If all I really do is "insult everyone" and I'm such a bad person on these boards, than 3 out of 200+ posts shouldn't be too hard. Right? Try it-- it'll be fun, like a scavenger hunt. Pretty sweet grand prize too.

Note: You said posts, not threads, so you should follow your word due to technicality. So don't go on trying to say you meant threads, it was also a pretty crummy scavenger hunt.

When will this worthless topic finally die, along with whoever started it?
    Even more annoying is the fact that it can never die because some idiot would always revive it to tell people how he played Lost Planet for 2 hours today. Anyone care?
    Alright, anyways, I've made my point but this is a message board so everyone is going to post retarded no matter what. So since no one is going to learn how to give advice and I've only managed to successfully piss off all the terrible posters here, I will quit now while I'm behind. I realize I went a little overboard in defense of my beliefs, and apologize to all the decent posters out there.

So do I win the grand prize?

Yippie Ki Yay

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre