Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: tengen tetris VS. Nintendo's tetris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSXferrari View Post
    I checked this out on GameRankings. I can't personally vouch for any of these games but they all had high overall rankings: Tetris Attack (SNES, 90%), Tetrisphere & The New Tetris (N64; 86%, 82%), and most recently Tetris DS (86%). Based on the scores they must all be bringing something besides the same old formula and might be worth looking into. I own Tetris Attack but have never tried it.
    I've heard of a number of those, but have never checked any of them out. Tetris DS sounds pretty tight, as does Tetris Attack. I guess I want something that's Tetris, but isn't gimicky and tacked on. I'll have to check these out, thanks for the info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would first get the Nintendo version, and then if you're still hooked and need more, get the Tengen version

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    Another fact to consider is that the Tengen version is found on a lot of multicarts, including the Super Joy/Power Joy/whatever-it's-called 76-in-1 plug and play bootleg joystick (looks like an N64) controller.
    Isn't that the BPS version of Tetris, released for the Famicom? I think it might be different than the Tengen version.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    I could've swore that the Tengen version was released first then pulled because Nintendo worked out a deal with Elorg to publish the game, thus kicking off the whole removal of Tengen as a 3rd party publisher for Nintendo and the switch to the black cartridges.
    Congrats on your first post

Btw, the removal of Tengen as a third party publisher must've come before their release of the Tetris game, as it would've otherwise been released in a licensed NES cartridge.
    I'm always looking for new boxed NES accessories. If you've got any for sale, shoot me a PM!

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_NES View Post
    Isn't that the BPS version of Tetris, released for the Famicom? I think it might be different than the Tengen version.
    No, I've never seen the Japanese BPS version of Tetris on a multicart, it's always Tengen's version.

As for other versions of Tetris, like Oobgarm said, The New Tetris on the N64 is really great, some nice new features, but it stays true to the original feel. Tetris DS, on the other hand, breaks the gameplay in a couple pretty serious ways, in my opinion. Mostly the fact that you can move and rotate pieces that have already landed *INDEFINITELY*. This totally alters the gameplay and makes the game essentially an entirely different experience. Not absolutely a bad experience, it can still be fun spinning pieces around to get them into place, but real tetris is vastly more enjoyable.

Tetris DX on the GBC really blew it by replacing the fantastic music from the original B&W version with uninspired dreck. The color choices are crap, too, so the only real advantage of the DX version is the ability save your high score (I think it had an additional mode, too), but the original is really a lot better thanks to the music.

Tetris 64 (a Japanese release) is pretty cool, too. It actually comes with a pulserate monitor and has a couple options for altering the pace of the game based on your pulse. It also has options to add extra pieces into the mix that are made up of five blocks instead of the usual four and what's cool is that you can't see the extra block on the piece until it actually starts falling so it can really fuck up your plans and make your pulserate jump.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Magical Tetris Challenge (starring Disney characters) for Nintendo 64 received positive reviews. I rented it about eight years ago, but I didn't get too into it. Has anyone else tried it?

Gamestats.com link:

http://www.gamestats.com/objects/002/002001/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Posted 6/26, 2:36 AM.

Number of posts since that time: 6.

It's obvious you're trolling, both here and in other threads(most notably the 'what are you playing?' thread). If the way things are posted and answered here bothers you, perhaps this is not the place for you. Attempting to lay groundwork for some sort of bizarre coup d'état in regards to posting style is a waste of your time, the OP's time, and everyone else's. Hell, I'm wasting my own time typing this to a person who's supposedly resigned themselves from further conversation regarding the topic.

... Are you serious? You're counting posts now and still keeping this going? You are now officially being worse than me. So what if I've posted 6 posts since then? None were related to the "everyone is wrong" topic-- they were either posts attempting to diffuse the situation and apologize, or posts actually related to the Tetris topic! But you guys keep this GOING AND GOING.

Get over it-- it's done. I understand that I was an idiot for starting it-- I admit that myself without you needing to post 37 comments reminding me about something that happened 3 days ago. Don't make yourself look like an idiot now too. Because anyone who keeps continuing this each time I attempt to diffuse it is the real problem now. Drop it-- everyone else here has and has tried to get back on topic.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I've heard of a number of those, but have never checked any of them out. Tetris DS sounds pretty tight, as does Tetris Attack. I guess I want something that's Tetris, but isn't gimicky and tacked on. I'll have to check these out, thanks for the info.

No problem. But dude, be careful. Admitting that I was actually helpful in any way in this topic could be a very dangerous thing to do right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_NES View Post
    Btw, the removal of Tengen as a third party publisher must've come before their release of the Tetris game, as it would've otherwise been released in a licensed NES cartridge.
    No, they were around and actually a Nintendo licensed third party developer earlier on. They got tired of paying the Nintendo royalty fees and abiding by Nintendo's production restrictions so they reverse engineered the 10NES chip and created their "Rabbit" chip. This is why Tengen NES games don't have the bootup problems that say, Wisdom Tree games do. Unlicensed Tengen cartridges have the matching lockout chip, it's just not Nintendo produced. They were around after Tetris as well but the licensed versions of Tengen games were released before they went into 100% business for themselves with the black cartridges.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSXferrari View Post
    ... Are you serious? You're counting posts now and still keeping this going? You are now officially being worse than me.
    Oh no! But then you posted this post to say that and it makes YOU worse than HIM again! Drat!

Okay lets let Oobgarm make another comment about this then he'll be worse than PSXferrari again, but we'll all know it so PSXferrari won't have to make ANOTHER post to point it out whereby he would be making himself worse than Oobgarm again and starting it all over!

Agreed?

I think we can almost see the light on this one, fellas. After this it's off to the the Gaza Strip and maybe we can solve that one, too!

...word is bondage...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    Oh no! But then you posted this post to say that and it makes YOU worse than HIM again! Drat!

Okay lets let Oobgarm make another comment about this then he'll be worse than PSXferrari again, but we'll all know it so PSXferrari won't have to make ANOTHER post to point it out whereby he would be making himself worse than Oobgarm again and starting it all over!

Agreed?

No man, that's not fair. I wanna be the worst. Why does he get to be the worst?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Either way, they're both much better than the horrible Famicom port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    No, they were around and actually a Nintendo licensed third party developer earlier on. They got tired of paying the Nintendo royalty fees and abiding by Nintendo's production restrictions so they reverse engineered the 10NES chip and created their "Rabbit" chip. This is why Tengen NES games don't have the bootup problems that say, Wisdom Tree games do. Unlicensed Tengen cartridges have the matching lockout chip, it's just not Nintendo produced. They were around after Tetris as well but the licensed versions of Tengen games were released before they went into 100% business for themselves with the black cartridges.
    Yup, I realize that Tengen had three licensed releases early on, but the reason why I made the statement I made earlier was that if the lawsuit against Tengen Tetris that led to its withdrawal from store shelves was the reason behind Tengen becoming unlicensed, the Tengen Tetris copies should've been licensed to begin with. It was just in response to someone's statement that the Tetris lawsuit led to Tengen becoming an unlicensed company regarding its NES releases, which was not the case, like you said.
    Last edited by Speedy_NES; 06-28-2007 at 11:50 AM.
    I'm always looking for new boxed NES accessories. If you've got any for sale, shoot me a PM!