Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Master System better than the Nes & 7800

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone has there own opinion, and im sorry if I came harsh.

I was just wondering was there anyone that feels the way I do about the Master System.

8 bit gaming by far is the best for me, and I do like the Nes(all my friends had one), but in my childhood and even now, I still love my Master System.

I want to learn more about the 7800 though. I didn't have a friend that had this system.

Are Commando and Desert Falcon its best games?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruudos View Post
    That's not true for Europe. I belive the SMS was bigger in the UK, but here in Holland the NES was more popular. I believe this was the case in more European countries. I'd like to hear from other Europeans here how the situation was in their country.

It's funny that Europe is always seen as one market, just like the US, while in fact it are many differents ones, which can differ a lot from each other.
    SMS did very well in the PAL A NES-region. Mattel distribution was poor compared with the distribution in most of the PAL- B regions.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitdude View Post
    Everyone has there own opinion, and im sorry if I came harsh.

I was just wondering was there anyone that feels the way I do about the Master System.

8 bit gaming by far is the best for me, and I do like the Nes(all my friends had one), but in my childhood and even now, I still love my Master System.

I want to learn more about the 7800 though. I didn't have a friend that had this system.

Are Commando and Desert Falcon its best games?
    Actually, I don't hear too much about Commando and Desert Falcon. The most impressive 7800 game I've played is Ballblazer. It was developed by LucasArts, so that's probably why. 7800 games are interesting because the machine allowed for developers to put custom graphics and sound chips in the carts, which allowed for one hell of an Atari game. If you compare 7800 games that do and don't have extra chips, the ones with them look quite impressive.

I also recommend Tower Toppler if you want to be impressed. Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. are probably the best Atari versions, but they pale compared to their NES counterparts. I hear great things about Midgnight Mutants, Xenophobe, Asteroids, and Robotron 2084. Impossible Mission would be cool, but it wasn't properly tested before being released in the states, so the game is literally an impossible mission--several of the items you need to finish the game are absent, leaving you to wander around aimlessly. I guess they fixed this for the Euro release. Karateka is disappointing. Dark Chambers is neat for history's sake if you're into Gauntlet, but it's a pretty boring game. Looks nice, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I used to agree with your sentiments, 8-bit dude. But my criteria for identifying classic games is how well they stand up over time. In my subjective opinion, the NES library has, for the most part, aged better than the SMS library. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of great SMS games, and the games loooked better in screenshots and stills. But a lot of them look horrible in motion. If I remember, Double Dragon was pretty choppy and controlled poorly. In fact, almost anything after the first slew of SMS games look horrible in motion. Rastan looks particularly ugly these days.
    I've always thought the same thing. I grew up with an NES, but bought a used SMS later on from a classmate. I was excited to play the supposedly superior games, but overall, I ended up being disappointed. Many of the games were sluggish and featured poor controls and sound compared to the NES.

The SMS may have been able to display a few more colors, but I had way more fun with my NES games...Super Mario Bros. 2, Contra, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, R.C. Pro-Am, Bases Loaded, Life Force, Mega Man II, etc. If the NES never existed, I would have thought the SMS was great. (For what it's worth, Sega's 3D goggles were excellent.)
    Last edited by Rob2600; 06-26-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man the Master System just can't win in here.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Aww, don't take it too hard. We're all pretty objective most of the time

You have to take into account that this is a general forum, not a Sega forum, so naturally peoples tastes here are going to reflect the tastes of the general public. In general, people in the 80's preferred the NES for some reason or another (granted, Nintendo had shitty monopolizing sales tactics; regardless, the NES still outsold the SMS despite it's technical superiority) As such, it's more likely that people around here will prefer the NES. But we all seem to agree that there are some great SMS games, and that it's generally underappreciated.

Personally, I've got a big hard-on for the TG-16, but most people prefer Genny or SNES. It's okay, your tastes just aren't mainstream.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Master System isn't winning in a poll over on Sega-16 either.

It;s not a bad system, there are just more games I like on the NES. Games are what matters the most.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    Games are what matters the most.
    When it comes to a gamer you're 100% correct; selection is of the virtue.

/me thinks 8bitdude is trying hard to push SMS love around.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm down with the master system, it's intricate and neat. But there's just a lot of things about it I don't agree with/don't understand. The pause button is one, that just screams "I'm a different experience, you probably won't like me". I am the same way with the Genesis and Game Gear though, There's something about the way the games are that I can't find alot of replay value in "the classics", and I grew up with a Genny. I just find for the most part, the games aren't as fun, there's something about it. the something however is not neat like most dreamcast games, sleek stylish and way fun.

I think alot of the problem is the lack of developers and the actual games that were released in the US (rocky, that damn falcon fighting card game,haunted house,black belt,) these are common games, and they're not fun. It's almost like watching a director's cut of the film versus a studio cut in terms of presentation and atmosphere. So I think my view might be skewed by never being exposed to non-us games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

One of my brothers had one SMS, he was a minority since my other brother, my sister and I had a Nintendo. We would play it on occasion, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Teddy Boy, and Ghost House were my favorite games, but the NES remained dominant.

My brother found his copy of Teddy Boy in a Shop Right parking lot, so it was a little beat up, but still ran perfectly. This resulted in me looking for games when walking back to the car after grocery shopping, needless to say I never found any.

SMS will always have a place in my heart, but the games haven't aged well control wise, so I really can't play one for long without getting annoyed.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Sure it can. It depends on what we are comparing. When it comes to playing games, the Master System is a lot more reliable than the original NES.

Let's see. I liked Safari Hunt a lot more than Duck Hunt. Shooting different types of animals in the jungle is more fun. I thought California Games was better on Master System than the NES. Same with Alien Syndrome and Shinobi. I had plenty of the mediocre games, like Cloud Master and Vigilante, but I gradually grew to like those ones. That was all I had to play for a long time when I owned an SMS.

Oh and I am a proud Altered Beast fan But yeah, I still like the NES better.
    Last edited by bangtango; 06-26-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't think the control was bad in my opinion, maybe in some games but

the Nes had games where control wasn't as good too. It was the games not the system. Like SMS had games where the the control and gamplay were excellent and the Nes had games where the control was excellent, but they both had games where the control, might not have been as good.

I liked the Nes too, (in someways), but don't think that every game on that system the control and gameplay were perfect.

One thing I want to know is would Street Fighter 2 run better on the Nes than the Master System. In my opinion NO, but SF2 for the SMS isn't all that compared to its 16 bit counterparts, but good compared to all them Nes Hacks.

Hope yall not going to tell me im wrong on this too.

and yes I have been promoting for the SMS since I was a Child, and nothings changed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    I had plenty of the mediocre games, like Cloud Master....

Cloud Master is one of my most favorite Sega Master System games ^_~
    its cool - Cloud Master is not for everyone
    I am looking forward to the new game coming on the Wii ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Personally, I've got a big hard-on for the TG-16, but most people prefer Genny or SNES. It's okay, your tastes just aren't mainstream.
    I LOVE Turbo Grafx 16 as well

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, Bangtango you had me going on your reply, I thought you were going SMS all the way, then the end , (but I still like the Nes better). You got me laughing on that one. Well good points though

Wish you would of had more SMS games, then what you had, might of made a little difference, maybe , I don't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Passed on a boxed SMS with several games for $25. Mistake?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post

Cloud Master is one of my most favorite Sega Master System games ^_~
    its cool - Cloud Master is not for everyone
    I am looking forward to the new game coming on the Wii ^_^
    Hey, I think Cloud Master is fun. My mediocre remark is partly based on what most people think about the game. I liked it. So you're saying they are doing a new version of that on the Wii?

Man, Bangtango you had me going on your reply, I thought you were going SMS all the way, then the end , (but I still like the Nes better). You got me laughing on that one. Well good points though

Wish you would of had more SMS games, then what you had, might of made a little difference, maybe , I don't know.
    The light gun games are better on the SMS, based on what I've played on the Master System and NES. I played maybe 12-14 games tops on the Master System, that was all I ever owned when I used to have the system. I am itching to get another one so I will probably post a WTB thread in the Buy/Sell forum very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickclaw View Post
    Passed on a boxed SMS with several games for $25. Mistake?
    If you saw this locally and not on the internet, then yes. Even if it is a little overpriced for what games are included, how often are you going to find that many Master System games in one fell swoop offline? Once or twice a year, tops, unless you live in an area where SMS stuff is growing on trees. No matter what games were included with the system, if you were to get them on the internet (say Ebay or a sale thread), you'd probably pay that much or more once shipping is involved. The system by itself sometimes sells for $25. In the box, I am sure it does. Better go back and see if you can still get it. Pronto.
    Last edited by bangtango; 06-27-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No it can't win, well not on a website with a large ratio of North American gamers that is. I 've only recently gotten into the SMS scene, so my opinion isn't valid since I'm heavily biased toward the NES for both nostalgia reasons and gameplay experiences.

Still, I do enjoy a lot of what the SMS offers. But, even if I thought its library was superior, it still falls flat on its face once you whip out that controler. That D-pad is the worst gaming pad experience I've ever had. I dislike Sony D-pads, but this thing is an abomination. So many unexpected deaths can be attributed towards it. Luckily, a lot of SMS games are compatible with a Genesis pad (but not Alien Syndrome!!! ).

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Phaser is far superior to the Zapper...it has a quality feel to it and doesn't have that loud clicking sound when firing.

The SMS also has much, much better light gun games.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well for me personally I'd give the SMS the edge over the NES. While the NES does have more games overall, many people just aren't as aware of the games released outside of the United States. There's quite a lot out there, especially in the UK. Although I am not a big fan of the controllers either, I definitely play more games on the SMS. And given a choice, I'll take Phantasy Star (SMS) over Final Fantasy (NES) anyday.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I always thought the first Alex Kidd was superior to any NES Mario game. I got a similar reaction when showing friends this game they liked it more than the Mario games.