Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips & Tricks no more??!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'm going to miss T&T. It was my favorite gaming magazine. The codes would ALWAYS work and the strategy guides were top notch. I hate looking for strategy guides on the internet, Because it can take such a long time to find a decent guide.

In one of T&Ts recent issues, I read about the game "Escape From Bug Island" Wich I would have never been interested in if I heard about it anywhere else.

T&T Also informed me of the wonderful game Psychonauts, Wich I would have never heard of If I read another magazine.

I never liked EGM. The editors were Playstation fanboys and they disliked games for other systems. Either that or they were jealous. (That is how they were when I read their mag.. I don't know if they are now)
    Last edited by Slate; 06-28-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad, it was a great magazine. I really liked their strategy sections; more compact (and cheaper) than full strategy guides, and way better than GameFAQs.

There were also a few neat little things about it. Like, I remember they used to have those little mini-features at the bottom of the codes. I really enjoyed stuff like the Obscure Game Characters Hall of Fame.

No other mag has anything like Cool Zone and Japan Report. T&T will definitely be missed. They were the only decent gaming mag left. They had a really good staff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    After the whole Nintendo Power drama a few months ago, it seems another magazine is about to hit the grave.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rip-t%26t/t...axe-272573.php

I loved that magazine, as well as it's long deceased predecessor, Videogames magazine. And it's got a connection to DP as well, via Collector's Closet (though, it slowly shrank in size over time and soon became repetious)

But I'm even more upset over the shitty way the publishers are essentially firing the staff behind their backs. Uncool.

Don't let Vectorman see this. He'll call Kotaku unprofessional for making Larry Flynt Publications look bad.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PSXferrari View Post
    Don't let Vectorman see this. He'll call Kotaku unprofessional for making Larry Flynt Publications look bad.
    Was that necessary? Next time you crap on someone, you are gone. Watch it.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillKunkel View Post
    Bottom line, I'll be at CGE and can give you all the whole story. Meanwhile, the upside is that Commodork, which everyone seems to love, got a bump and Cav's story on the best arcades in America will indeed appear in the 150th and final issue of T&T.
    I look forward to thanking you in person.

Thanks for the info, and let us know what you'll be working on next!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I worked at Tips & Tricks for over 8 years and I am sure sad to see it go, but I am not surprised based on the way LFP treated the magazine. They are not exactly business minded as a video game publisher. For this magazine to be as niche as it is, and still have a following, you have to realize the pluses that were mentioned previously.

Everyone talking about the "internet" killing this thing don't seem to realize that strategy guides, full blown walkthroughs with detailed pictures sell VERY well for Prima and Brady. In fact, Beckett has some type of "copy" of Tips & Tricks that they are publishing in Dallas currently. At $5.99, this is still a very good alternative, and is packed with tons of codes that are right in front of your face without having to go to GameFaqs. Sure, GameFaqs is free. So are many things. The newspaper is not dead, it had to change and evolve.

The magazine still has the ability to captivate an audience and can still sell 100K units a month for what it is. The buyer that gets this for pennies on the dollar is going to have to take a serious look as to what he/she can do about getting the same type of content manner back. The writers put their heart and soul into this magazine over the years, and anyone that says the writing was "subpar" as of late really has not picked up a magazine in years.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    I worked at Tips & Tricks for over 8 years and I am sure sad to see it go, but I am not surprised based on the way LFP treated the magazine. They are not exactly business minded as a video game publisher. For this magazine to be as niche as it is, and still have a following, you have to realize the pluses that were mentioned previously.

Everyone talking about the "internet" killing this thing don't seem to realize that strategy guides, full blown walkthroughs with detailed pictures sell VERY well for Prima and Brady. In fact, Beckett has some type of "copy" of Tips & Tricks that they are publishing in Dallas currently. At $5.99, this is still a very good alternative, and is packed with tons of codes that are right in front of your face without having to go to GameFaqs. Sure, GameFaqs is free. So are many things. The newspaper is not dead, it had to change and evolve.

The magazine still has the ability to captivate an audience and can still sell 100K units a month for what it is. The buyer that gets this for pennies on the dollar is going to have to take a serious look as to what he/she can do about getting the same type of content manner back. The writers put their heart and soul into this magazine over the years, and anyone that says the writing was "subpar" as of late really has not picked up a magazine in years.
    Very well said.

I never understood the assessment that video game magazines are doomed to fail because of the internet. Using that logic, there are a lot of niche publications out there that should be "dead" because the information is available on the internet for free. Yet many of them keep on keeping on. Saying the internet is the death of all of these different magazines is simply an excuse. It is just one of many factors that leads to a magazine going under.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Man, I'll really miss this mag.

Where have all the good gaming magazines gone?
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's this about "Nintendo Power drama"? I missed that too... and apparently two others asked about it and haven't gotten an answer yet.

Enquiring minds like mine wanna know!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James8BitStar View Post
    What's this about "Nintendo Power drama"? I missed that too... and apparently two others asked about it and haven't gotten an answer yet.

Enquiring minds like mine wanna know!
    I'd like to know what the "Nintendo Power Drama" Is too.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    I'd like to know what the "Nintendo Power Drama" Is too.
    "Rumor: Nintendo Power Shutting Down"

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/788/788281p1.html

May 14, 2007 - Hot on the heels of the news last week that Nintendo of America was planning to move a significant chunk of its marketing and sales departments from Seattle to either San Francisco or New York, IGN has learned that the company may be planning to close or restructure its official Nintendo Power magazine. Sources close to the publication tell IGN that mass layoffs are underway and that employees are being told to look for new work by September of this year.

Calls placed to Nintendo of America for comment went unanswered in time for publish.

Founded in 1988, Nintendo Power magazine has over the years faced an emerging threat from game-focused websites, which have the means to provide more timely news, previews, reviews, walkthroughs and cheats. Even so, the publication has maintained a loyal subscriber base.

Without an official confirmation one way or the other, we're still in rumor territory, but what is undeniable at this point is that the magazine is either undergoing a rebirth of some kind or is on its last legs. Some insiders have suggested that Nintendo Power will continue on, but will be published by a third party source.

IGN will continue to follow the story and update readers with more information as it becomes available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

wtf man
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interestingly, I have had a subscription for a long time and it was actually supposed to have expired something like 2 years ago...or even further back than that...but they never stopped sending it. I knew they'd stop sending it soon (especially since I started getting renewal notices again recently) but I didn't realize it would take cancelling the mag itself in order for it to stop showing up at my mailbox.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    I'm going to miss T&T. It was my favorite gaming magazine. The codes would ALWAYS work and the strategy guides were top notch. I hate looking for strategy guides on the internet, Because it can take such a long time to find a decent guide.

In one of T&Ts recent issues, I read about the game "Escape From Bug Island" Wich I would have never been interested in if I heard about it anywhere else.

T&T Also informed me of the wonderful game Psychonauts, Wich I would have never heard of If I read another magazine.

I never liked EGM. The editors were Playstation fanboys and they disliked games for other systems. Either that or they were jealous. (That is how they were when I read their mag.. I don't know if they are now)
    BILL: You bring up an excellent point here. You see, I felt we could knock out gamefaqs easily by putting up our strategy guides in PDF form (with no magazine-induced limitations on length), placing our massive cheat code database online and supplementing it with actual content.

It's a shame the revamped site that Christa McCarthy created is no longer up because it was a small sample of what we could have done with videos, individually verified cheats and walkthroughs that were professionally written and illustrated with our own screen captures -- as opposed to wading through 20 amateur, unedited, ugly, html-format strat guides.

As for the future of print, that was my reasoning behind the "lifestyle" articles. These were niche areas of considerable interest (from game-based movies, action figs and music to articles on game schools and pro gaming) that I didn't see being covered anywhere else.

You can't beat the Net for immediacy, not with print's lead time, but you can do analysis and many other things that do work better in hard copy format. In fact, our AD Lisa Beattie had what I thought was a brilliant idea: produce an edition of T&T in Spanish.

But by then I guess Larry F didn't want to hear any more ideas for saving the magazine. The sales drop was constant and becoming impossible. You'd be shocked at how few copies were selling by the time the May and June issues -- which were really strong issues -- hit the supermarkets.

I began to seriously wonder if adults were still interested in gaming magazines.

Ah well, I maintained my position with Running With Scissors throughout my LFP employment and am EIC of PostalNation.net. Am currently negotiating with an European game magazine, and still plan to write some new Kunkel Reports for DP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Kotaku has more on this Nintendo Power thing, actually. It's not quite dead yet, but it would seem there are major changes afoot.
    http://kotaku.com/gaming/perrin-kapl...rty-263765.php
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillKunkel View Post
    BILL: You bring up an excellent point here. You see, I felt we could knock out gamefaqs easily by putting up our strategy guides in PDF form (with no magazine-induced limitations on length), placing our massive cheat code database online and supplementing it with actual content.

It's a shame the revamped site that Christa McCarthy created is no longer up because it was a small sample of what we could have done with videos, individually verified cheats and walkthroughs that were professionally written and illustrated with our own screen captures -- as opposed to wading through 20 amateur, unedited, ugly, html-format strat guides.

As for the future of print, that was my reasoning behind the "lifestyle" articles. These were niche areas of considerable interest (from game-based movies, action figs and music to articles on game schools and pro gaming) that I didn't see being covered anywhere else.

You can't beat the Net for immediacy, not with print's lead time, but you can do analysis and many other things that do work better in hard copy format. In fact, our AD Lisa Beattie had what I thought was a brilliant idea: produce an edition of T&T in Spanish.

But by then I guess Larry F didn't want to hear any more ideas for saving the magazine. The sales drop was constant and becoming impossible. You'd be shocked at how few copies were selling by the time the May and June issues -- which were really strong issues -- hit the supermarkets.

I began to seriously wonder if adults were still interested in gaming magazines.

Ah well, I maintained my position with Running With Scissors throughout my LFP employment and am EIC of PostalNation.net. Am currently negotiating with an European game magazine, and still plan to write some new Kunkel Reports for DP.

I'm shocked that you quoted me. I wasn't expecting to be quoted by you!

You know, The first issue of T&T That I purchased was the August 2003 Issue, Wich is the issue that featured pictures of darryl's collection, Wich fascinated me and got me into collecting games.

I was hoping to get pictures of my collection in the Collector's Closet article, But that will never happen now.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Was that necessary? Next time you crap on someone, you are gone. Watch it.
    Right, what was I thinking joking around about the Mods? That's sacred territory, and I apologize for not realizing that you guys are immune to that.

I wasn't crapping on anybody, I was just joking around, but whatever. Chill out.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

And another classic bites the dust...
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I remember Tips and Tricks, I never really read it tho, I was more of a Videogame magazine fan. Man that was a great magazine, which kind of disappeared without me even noticing.

Quote Originally Posted by PSXferrari View Post
    I wasn't crapping on anybody, I was just joking around, but whatever. Chill out.

Awww.....looks like someone was put in timeout. It was only a matter of time man, I'm surprised it took this long actually.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Not a timeout. More like a "you ran out of time permanently". Or "You're the Weakest Link. Goodbye."