8.) 3-d World Runner-nes
    7.) contra
    6.)final fight
    5.)Mortal kombat
    4.)megaman
    3.)Virtual boy-the entire console including the games
    2.) sonic
    1.) Castlevania

The only reason megaman should stay is the later Megaman x games.

I would replace 3-d runner with bomber man.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont think the 3D Sonic or Castlevania games were terrible. But I think you should add Bubsy to the list, Bubsy and Bubsy 2 for the Genesis and SNES were good games. Then they came out with Bubsy 3D for the Playstation which was one of the worst games i've ever played. Bubsy 3D was also the first 3D game I owned, because I saved up my money for months and finally had enough for a Playstation, Memory Card and one game. When we went to Toys-R-US I looked at the games and picked Bubsy 3D becuase I loved the original Bubsy games. So I had a very rough 2D to 3D transistion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm.

I really liked the 3d Castlevania games. Sonic Adventure hasn't aged well, but when it came out it was the bee's knees. Shame they never really improved on it with the sequels (though the Sonic/Shadow levels in SA2 were pimpin'). I also feel that Mortal Kombat is better in its 3d incarnations, though 4 was pretty much as bad as the 2d versions. That's right, I just shit on the 2d Mortal Kombat games.

Take that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I don't like Sonic being on the list (especially at #2) because I thought the Sonic Adventure games for the Dreamcast were excellent, and preferred them over the 3D Mario games. Yes, Sonic has taken a turn for the worse since the death of the DC, but that's not a bad 2D to 3D translation. The initial transition was very positive-- it's been the progression of the series in later 3D installments that has sucked. That'd be like if Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) ends up sucking and then everyone was like "Well, looks like Mario's transition to 3D didn't work out". It wouldn't make sense because the transition to 3D worked with Super Mario 64-- it's just that a later release sucked. I feel the same about Sonic making this list, but I probably wouldn't be so against it if it were pushed back further on the list.

I also don't like them hating on the Virtual Boy. Nintendo completely screwed that release up, but the games that it did get were on par with most other portable releases of the time. In fact, today the Virtual Boy games hold up better than most Game Boy and Game Gear games. Those systems feel much more dated today than the VB.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dear God! Make the top ten lists stop!!

MAKE THEM STOP!!!

...word is bondage...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone else agree with the 2D to 3D transition for Bubsy was terrible and should be on the list?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Stop these Top Ten lists, you say? That will only happen if people stop creating threads about them, which generates traffic to the web site and creates another list in a few days. That is why a web site like that creates top ten lists. They sit back and say, "Shit, advertising on other web sites can be expensive and we don't want to enlist a street team of drones to inhabit all of the popular video game message boards. So we will do a provocative top ten list and get free publicity when someone mentions it on a message board thread which gets 100-200 views. Get some guy to write the list who has a hard-on to make a name for himself as a freelance writer online. Ain't even got to pay him, he'll probably do it for free just to get his name in print. Stir these ingredients and post said list. Viola. Instant traffic and recognition."

Hmm, I liked the Bubsy 2D games but never played the 3D version. As for Sonic, I like the 3D games more than the 2D ones from the Genesis. To be specific, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes are the ones I am referring to.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clong View Post
    Does anyone else agree with the 2D to 3D transition for Bubsy was terrible and should be on the list?

They mention that in the video and say that Bubsy wouldn't be included because they were only counting very good 2D games that sucked when they shifted to 3D. Bubsy may have seemed cool when I was younger, but looking back now the games were fairly mediocre 2D platformers. So because it was an average game, it's 3D counterpart doesn't count according to them.

How about just giving credit to the entire company of Sega at the #1 spot (seeing as how they count the entire Virtual Boy system)? Sega rose up with the SMS and Genesis, and then anything they tried to do with a 3D system was pretty much dead on arrival. I love the Saturn and Dreamcast but unfortunately consumers of the day did not feel similarly. They could do no wrong with the Genesis, and then could do no right with the Sega CD and beyond.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was a 2D World Runner? Virtual Boy shouldn't count either. And Sonic is really stretching it -- only Shadow and the one on 360/PS3 suck. Where's Earthworm Jim and Fatal Fury? I think Prince of Persia should be on there too; they did make good 3D games, but the first one in 3D sucked ass. I would also agree with Bomberman, but that might be a bit controversial.

I don't really agree with Bubsy, simply because I thought it sucked to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only 3D CastleVania games I feel were lackluster are the ones on the N64. I thought LoI and CoD on the other hand were both very enjoyable.

So I completely disagree with their #1 choice.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Altered Beast" was a crappy 2D game, so being a crappy 3D game doesn't shock me.

And I'd go ahead and put Mario 64 right there at #3.

Thats right, I said Mario 64.

Punch, kick, and buttstomp enemies? And you still call this a Mario game? Why not call this "Mario Fighting Force 64" instead?

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they missed street fighter - the 3D versions were really bad

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    "Altered Beast" was a crappy 2D game, so being a crappy 3D game doesn't shock me.

Punch, kick, and buttstomp enemies? And you still call this a Mario game? Why not call this "Mario Fighting Force 64" instead?

I passed on saying this, but now that someone else has, I have to agree. I think Mario 64 gets too much credit because it was influential for its time, perhaps because 3D platformers of the mid-90s had so many problems that made Mario 64 look a lot better than it really was. I wasn't very impressed with it when I played it several years after its release. And I downright hated Super Mario Sunshine. I'd take any 3D Sonic game over that. Then again, I hate platform games in general, and the Sonic games are really the only ones that have ever held me interest.

While we're on the subject, let me also mention that I've always hated Zelda's transition to 3D. Ocarina of Time is certainly not the "greatest game of all time" as many media outlets make it out to be, and I think Twilight Princess is highly overrated as well. And unlike platformers, I actually like these types of games and love the 2D Zeldas.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    There was a 2D World Runner?

Their explanation in the video is pretty dumb. I guess the game was very fun without the 3D glasses and then terrible with them-- so they use this as they basis for including 3D World Runner. Same game, but the 3D glasses suck, so it makes the list-- doesn't make sense to me.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Take off Virtual Boy, add in Mario (I 100% agree Push, the 3D Mario games are awful).

I'd take off Altered Beast and throw in Earthworm Jim, talk about a horrible 3D game.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Quote Originally Posted by PSXferrari View Post
    Yeah, I don't like Sonic being on the list (especially at #2) because I thought the Sonic Adventure games for the Dreamcast were excellent, and preferred them over the 3D Mario games.
    Quoted for truth. Sure, the newer 3D Sonic games suck, but Sonic Adventure was classic.

Now I agree with having Castlevania as #1, though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AMG View Post
    The only 3D CastleVania games I feel were lackluster are the ones on the N64. I thought LoI and CoD on the other hand were both very enjoyable.

So I completely disagree with their #1 choice.

Well, they mention that the more recent games were good, but Castlevania made it at #1 due to its terrible INITIAL transition on the N64.

But this makes no sense-- because then why does Sonic make it at #2? It's initial transition to the Dreamcast was excellent and then it starting going downhill after SA2.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only 3D platformer I actually like are the "TY the Tasmanian Tiger" series.

I'd rather have a game designed for 3D from the ground up than a concept born of 2D and shoehorned into a 3D world with lackluster results.

Sonic, that means you and-a Mah-rio. I will admit that Sonic Adventure was somewhat tolerable though....but 2 sucked.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post

Without some of the characters that appear in the game, including the enemies, you'd never know you were playing "a Mario game." I've never had a feeling quite like the time I spent 15 minutes on a kiosk with this, after having been raised on Super Mario Bros. 1-3 and Super Mario World. I was saying to myself, "Nintendo, what have you done?"

It has taken me roughly 10 years to start warming up to the game and make a small amount of progress into the later stages.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Bleh, another lame list. The ones at the lower ranking are actually far worse, but of course they're not on top because they're not as high profile and thus less controversial.

Castlevania in no way deserves to be at the top. Say what you will about the first N64 game, but Legacy of Darkness improved upon everything and turned out to be an excellent game. Sure, it doesn't really feel like Castlevania, but NO Castlevania has in many, many years, if you ask me, 3D or otherwise.

Sonic may have had some misfires, but the Sonic Adventure titles are still must-haves for Dreamcast.

I haven't even played any 3D Mega Man X games, but Mega Man Legends alone is more than enough to keep it off such a list. Yeah, it's another case of a 3D game that's nothing like its 2D counterparts, but a good game is still a good game.

And Virtual Boy? Gimme a break. They're just trashing Virtual Boy because that's the cool thing to do. If they weren't biased and actually had minds of their own, they might consider actually PLAYING a Virtual Boy, and then they'd realize that 1) Virtual Boy game may have had (amazing) 3D effects, but it's still a sprite-based system and 2) most of the games are very well made, even if the system itself may bother some people's eyes. Wario Land alone makes the system worth owning, and I don't see how anyone in their right mind could regard that as a poor follow-up to the Game Boy Wario Land. In fact, it's far superior, and I think it's the best in the entire Wario series. Most other Virtual Boy games were brand new franchises, but they too stood up well to the current Game Boy and SNES games of the time.