Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do sports games get no respect from collectors?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    The other thing that people underrate is the fact that each game has unique rosters or features players when they were actually GOOD. That would include the WWF wrestling games, like Raw, that somebody mentioned earlier in this thread. A third of those old WWF guys are dead, another third are retired and the other third are considered active but either they hardly wrestle anymore or they are washed up. Same with a Seattle Supersonics fan who still likes Shawn Kemp or an Orlando Magic fan who still likes Penny Hardaway and remembers their glory days from the mid-1990's. Sure, you can actually play them in some 04-05 basketball games but they are friggin' washed up and have horrible stats.

I've had people say that if you like an old team so much, you can just get a newer version and change the rosters. Uh, yeah. With the way teams shuffle guys in and out nowadays, in any sport, do you have any idea how long it would take to make all of the necessary cuts, trades or free agent signings? Not to mention any players from some of your all-time favorite rosters that retired after that season or after the following season. And as I already said above, some of your favorites from 5-10 years ago that are still around might not even be good anymore. I don't care what anyone says, you can't just create a "perfect" version of any old player. It is just not the same.

Secondly, what about the opposing teams and their old rosters? Maybe I like beating up certain pitchers, quarterbacks, running backs, etc. in the city they were in during 2001, 2004 or 1997.

Good takes man. I definitely understand where you are coming from. It's fun for me to play NBA Live '95 on the SNES, because it was back when Mitch Richmond was on the Sacramento Kings. I remember playing the hell out of that game, and using Mitch Richmond, and I think Spud Webb. It's just cool to play those games and see the old players and the old teams. Each team in sports tends to have it's own distinct personality, and as the years go by and with free agency and player movement, a team from 3 years ago can be completely different from the current one. It's cool to play those old games.

Also, try out NBA Live '96 on Playstation. I think it's tremendously underrated. Basically, what they did was take the core gameplay of NBA Live '95 on SNES, and add in 3D stadiums ala Fifa Soccer for the 3DO. It was the only sprite based basketball for the Playstation. After that they went to polygons. It's got really cool music and production values too. Lots of cool camera angles and stuff to play with, but basically the same ol good NBA Live gameplay. It's too bad that the NBA Live series has gone down the crapper too. (modern versions I mean)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I love the NFL (growing up 1/2 hr. from Green Bay will do that to you), but I've never been one for football video games. I always have some version of Madden laying around (usually one game per generation is enough), but I'd much rather watch "real" football than play it via a video game.

I love football, I love video games, but the two combined just aren't my thing.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every now and then I think about buying up lots of Genesis sports for $0.10-$1 each complete just to fill some space but then I don't because personally it wouldn't seem appealing. Sure, it's nice to have all of those boxes and the years lining up but I'll never really play them and ontop of that if I ever sold them it's nearly impossible. There are some sports games I do buy regardless of if I play them later though.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never played Double Dribble? It ain't perfect but it is pretty good and that game is common as hell. A $1-2 game. Otherwise, I'd recommend Tecmo NBA Basketball which contains a season mode. I never played it on NES but the NES version is basically an 8-bit version of Tecmo Super NBA Basketball for Super Nintendo and I thought it was a decent game on Super NES.
    Tecmo Basketball for the NES is practically unplayable, the action is slow and the control is terrible. Double Dribble is about 5 times better and it definitely doesn't do it for me.

Does anybody know of a truly worthwhile basketball game for the NES? I want something as enjoyable as Blades of Steel or Tecmo Bowl.

Maybe there's a good Famicom basketball game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i enjoy arcade style sports games

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RockNRollJerk View Post
    Tecmo Basketball for the NES is practically unplayable, the action is slow and the control is terrible. Double Dribble is about 5 times better and it definitely doesn't do it for me.

Does anybody know of a truly worthwhile basketball game for the NES? I want something as enjoyable as Blades of Steel or Tecmo Bowl.

Maybe there's a good Famicom basketball game?
    I assume you know how to use the rarity guide on the web site? Just click on it and select "Nintendo NES" for a system and "Basketball/Sports" for a genre. You'll get both the NES basketball games and if they are in the database, you should also see the Famicon ones.

In the US, you'll primarily see stuff like Ultimate Basketball, Arch Rivals, Magic Johnson's Fast Break and Jordan Vs. Bird. Not too much there really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Some other games that are collectable and sports games...Genesis-Madden 93 Championship Edition, Mutant League Football and Hockey

Sports games are video games. I dont look at them differently. Some sports generes are overdone, some are butt common. Many are still fun, and show inportant rosters of time. Hell, I still like to play with the old Philly Eagles back when Randall Cunningham Was the quarterback(aka No. 12 in Tecmo Super Bowl). If you like video games and prefer sports games, good for you. If all of us liked the same games then it would be a boring place. Every genere has at one time or another oversaturation, repetitive gameplay, and crap releases. Classic Shooters, Fighting, Racing, and now Modern Shooters are going through that.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a good basketball game for the NES? Arch Rivals is alright, but I'd like to try something else.
    "Nekketsu! Street Basket - Ganbare Dunk Heroes" of course, sadly only released in japan.

It's madness!

Let's see, today I bought NBA Jam TE for the Genesis and yesterday I bought NBA Live 99 for PS1. At the risk of ending up in the same nuthouse as the Ghostbusters in their second movie, I'll openly say I'd rather play either of those than Gunstar Heroes, Panzer Dragoon Saga or Metroid. I like the freedom of being able to get a great experience while investing only ten minutes (NBA Jam) to an hour (NFL 2K2) to play through an exhibition or continue a season. Just so much easier to pick up and play, which is what it is all about for me. That and I am obsessed with numbers and statistics.
    While I'm not interested in numbers or statistics I also really like the pick up and play mentality many sports games offer.
    Another reason why I often prefer them to other genres is that they're mainly centered around gameplay and keep noninteractivity at a minimum.

To be more precise, I especially adore Tennis games for their purity. At heart they're as simple to grasp as the game that got things going.. PONG. "Avoid missing ball for highscore", that's principally all there is to know. But making a game out of it that's hard to master and rewards skillfull play, that's what I find astonishing and interesting.
    Looking back at the history of gaming, you can follow their maturation, from the first videogame ever "Tennis for Two" (that could even hardly be called a game) over Tennis on the very first videogame console (Magnavox Odyssey) and the craze that was PONG, up until the first time we saw the Wii when Myamoto swung his racket in Wii Sports Tennis and the recent release of Virtua Tennis 3, the underlying principle stays the same despite all technological marvels.
    Last edited by Chris; 07-04-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I donno.. Realsports Basketball get some respect on this board...
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double Dribble. Every other basketball game on the NES is trash, especially Magic Johnson's Fast Break.