Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The classics on modern systems

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default The classics on modern systems

Does anyone here feel like it's "not the same" sometimes to be playing a classic game on a modern system, in a collection or downloaded to your system (Wii, XB360, etc)?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0) NickmasterX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I know what you mean. I never liked playing ROMS even with a gamepad. Some people just don't have any other choice, and most gamers who don't collect sell their old systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me there is more than playing the game to get the true "classic" experience. Inseting the cartridge, fumbling with 70's, 80's, or 90' controllers and dealing with a consoles little quirks is every bit as important to me as playing the game. One guy once said to me after seeing my classic collection, "what's the point? I can emulate every game you have on my PC". I just shook my head because he didn't get it. Then again I'm an old geezer and I played with these "classic" games when I was a boy.
    Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I tend to dislike collections of classics because they always seem to remove very minor stuff from the original. The other problem is that game companies always choose to reissue/remake the wrong version of a classic. For example, a little known arcade version instead of the NES version. Crap like that annoys me.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Certainly, they always manage to mess something up, and they usually have this cheap imitation feel when I play them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While it is nice to have classic collections on modern consoles, I know what you're saying.

Nothing like having the real system with the real controller in your hands while playing classic games.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

agree....i like the old ones better also...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    ...they usually have this cheap imitation feel when I play them.
    They do, don't they? It's like a fake antique -- OK for aesthetics, but somehow not right.

There's just something in the feel of using an original -- be that hardware or software.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For most stuff, I'm good with collection discs/downloads. Obviously they're not as good as playing the real game, but with my limited budget/storage space, there would be no way that I would be able to buy all the games of my youth that I like. Plus it is really convienent to have a bunch of games all on one disc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's only been a handfull of Retro games I like on modern systems, one being RoboTron and SmashTV!(Midways GH) It's soo nice being able to use dual anilog sticks with games of this nature, but other than that?

It's "not the same" for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I recently bought a telegames pong unit for $1...only to see that the battery holder was cracked making it non operable. After applying some super glue and using some rubberbands, I got the thing to work. Pong is a perfect example of something that you cant emulate, not the mention the funny story I had to get the thing to work.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The reason it doesn't feel the same is b/c it's not. Even last gen, most of the collections and reprints were far inferior to their originals. Call me anal, but I'm sure the Europeans can agree. With a CRT RGB monitor, the difference between playing games in 240p and 480i is like about the same as eating well groomed pussy and unkept ass.

The later Sega Ages 2500's & the Oretachi Gesen (past the first batch I believe) are the only reprints/collections I've heard of that have the games running natively.

The people who most need to be [inset extremely vulgar act here] are Taito, for not making such an option in their Taito Memories packs.
    Last edited by GaijinPunch; 07-11-2007 at 08:35 PM.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I share all your sentiments as well. I have roms and emus for practically everything. And while some systems are emulated better than others, it still never feels right. Which is why I hardly use the emus. I have them mostly for posterity and reference. So if I ever have a thought, hmmm, I'd like to play Golden Axe on Genesis....... I usually get bored of games for systems below the performance of the SNES (Atari, NES, SMS, TG-16, Genesis, Gameboy) after a couple minutes anyway, so it's not worth it for me to buy a lot of them physically. I would say the only exception is Arcade. I'm certainly not buying an actual arcade cabinet. I am crazy enough to consider one of those built for Mame units, although they're several thousand dollars. I'm probably just going to get a MAME joystick setup at some point, because Arcade games are really all I play on emulators. I am always amazed at them because they are harder to come by in emu or rom form, and applaud those who have spent the money to transfer the games from the boards, and then been able to create the emulator.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0) KeyserSoze61's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For whatever reason, I just can't stand emulation any more. Its nice to get a sense of what a game is, but I typically will only spend about 5 minutes playing an emulated game. On the actual hardware, however, I will play that same game to the end (no save features, quick loads, etc.)

With that said, I'm fine with playing my modded Saturn to play burned copies. I can't afford to ebay Panzer Dragoon Saga or Radiant Silvergun at this broke college student phase of my life. But I still love playing those games on the original hardware.

To me, emulation : original hardware as watching a DVD : going to the theater. There is just something intangible, authentic, about the experience that makes it worthwhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have roms and emus for practically everything. And while some systems are emulated better than others, it still never feels right.
    The irony is that through a proper emulated setup, the differences are indiscernable. There are graphics cards that output15khz signals (what your old consoles output). Hook this up to aforementioned VGA monitor, and be in emulation heaven. This is almost always more accurate than playing crappy collections churned out by old-school-gone-sour companies (Taito, Sega, etc.). Playing Neo Geo through MAME w/ an Arcade VGA is fantastic.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Do all you guys that prefer the "original hardware" play your old systems on old 1980s TVs also?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Do all you guys that prefer the "original hardware" play your old systems on old 1980s TVs also?
    I got my TV early in 92. Is that close enough?
    Plus I do have a couple other smaller sets that definitely fall into that category if not earlier.
    The world has moved on and left me behind. Therefore I choose to retreat into the past.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I don't know if you intended to be funny or not but that is the funniest thing I've read on here all day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really depends. I think the original home ports of Smash TV sucked -- I'd much rather play it on Midway Arcade Treasures for Gamecube, with the lovely 8-way notched sticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really don't mind either way. I play the collections for convenience. If I really have a need to play the originals, I'll just pull 'em out and plug 'em in.

I think my only complaint with some of these arcade collections are slightly blurred and stretched graphics seen on some (I'm looking at you Street Fighter Anniversary Collection and Street Fighter Alpha Anthology).