Thread: Where to buy a PS1 replacement laser assembly?

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Where to buy a PS1 replacement laser assembly?

Anyone know of a good place to buy a replacement laser assembly for a PS1, model SCPH-1001? It looks like NCSX is sold out...

Yes, I know this early model Playstation is an unreliable piece of crap not worth repairing, but I've started using it as my main CD player ever since I discovered its "audiophile quality" sound, and I'd like to get it to play games without excessive skipping and loading so I can pack away my reliable but not-so-good sounding 7501.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts View Post
    Anyone know of a good place to buy a replacement laser assembly for a PS1, model SCPH-1001? It looks like NCSX is sold out...

Yes, I know this early model Playstation is an unreliable piece of crap not worth repairing, but I've started using it as my main CD player ever since I discovered its "audiophile quality" sound, and I'd like to get it to play games without excessive skipping and loading so I can pack away my reliable but not-so-good sounding 7501.

Thanks!
    Most repair stores can get them. Cheaper to buy another ps1. Can you take the laser out of a later model and swap it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    Cheaper to buy another ps1. Can you take the laser out of a later model and swap it?
    Since the 1001's laser assembly is prone to failure, I'm pretty sure any other used unit would have the same problem. I'm hoping that a fresh laser, along with a cooling fan under the console, will make the system last. And I'm pretty sure the 100x series laser assembly is unique and not interchangeable with other units. But thanks for the suggestions!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts View Post
    Since the 1001's laser assembly is prone to failure, I'm pretty sure any other used unit would have the same problem. I'm hoping that a fresh laser, along with a cooling fan under the console, will make the system last. And I'm pretty sure the 100x series laser assembly is unique and not interchangeable with other units. But thanks for the suggestions!
    That can depend on how far you're willing to go to the component level sometimes. Anyway check out MCM Electronics I seem to recall they had a boatload of different Sony lasers and specifically PS2 assemblies. They are pricey though, fair warning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After wrestling with google for a few more hours, it turns out that the main difference in the various laser models is the length of the ribbon cable. And I found a place that sells every flavor, including the one I think I need (KSM-440 ACM)

http://store.richspsxparts.com/newkspllaas.html

Thanks guys!

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wonderful find, thanks a bundle for the link.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I thought I'd give a progress report in case anyone cares.

The new laser I bought from Rich's PSX parts was a total piece of crap. The plastic housing didn't fit in my case, the power connector was too snug, the end of the ribbon connector was chipped, and the spindle motor DID NOT SPIN, no matter how nicely I asked. So anyone considering buying from there, fair warning!

After spending way too many hours disassembling the new laser trying to make it work with no success, I tried cleaning some of the gunk out of the old laser's sled and re- greasing it with petroleum jelly. It actually seems to be working a little better now; I was able to play the opening FMV of Chrono Trigger with only a couple of small skips. So I guess that'll have to be good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ummm, luckily I haven't been inside any of my PSX's and needed to give much attention to the laser assembly/sled.

I do know that Petroleum Jelly (vaseline) will degrade plastics and rubber, as they're also petroleum based. Once it starts degrading material it will start having the exactly opposite desired effect (it'll gunk up). It could also do irreparable damage.

It may be appropriate to clean it off (finish with 90% alcohol) and then relube with a silicone or teflon based product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bassgrabber
    I do know that Petroleum Jelly (vaseline) will degrade plastics and rubber, as they're also petroleum based. Once it starts degrading material it will start having the exactly opposite desired effect (it'll gunk up). It could also do irreparable damage.

It may be appropriate to clean it off (finish with 90% alcohol) and then relube with a silicone or teflon based product.
    Eeeeeeesh! Thanks for the tip. This whole process has been a nightmare, but at least I'm learning a few things along the way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

umm.....Ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is true. If you have such a boner for the "$6000" SCPH-1001, you can nab one on Ebay for $10 plus shipping.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SirCyan

I'm a little confused about what the actual problem is here.

Most PS1's, when they begin to 'skip', are not suffering from failure of the laser itself, but from the assembly.

The assembly is made from plastic, so when the 'sled' that the laser moves back and forth on is heavily used, it begins to wear down one side of the plastic. This causes the sled to tilt slightly to one side. Because of this, the laser goes out of focus and can't read the data properly, hence the skipping.

I actually repaired a few of these by using tiny pieces of sheet metal super-glued to the worn out plastic guideway. I'd re-grease the top of the sheet metal, and the unit performed like it was new. Since the replacement was metal (and not plastic), the wear disappeared. Be careful, the metal must be really thin.. about 1mm or so.

On the other hand, if the laser itself has failed, then that's a different story

-RS.
    My: Collection | DP Feedback | eBay Feedback | FS/FT Thread
    RoadRunner X BBS; oldschool dialup BBS!
    Web: http://rrx.ca, Telnet: telnet://rrx.ca.
    Amateur Radio Callsign: VA6RRX

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have used richspsxparts and had all kinds of trouble. I ordered 2 lasers. one i repaired and it took over a month of bs to get another replacement.I think he has a stock of new lasers for the ps one (newest model) but assembles lasers from a bunch of used parts for the older models.

stay away from richspsxparts