Thread: .....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default .....

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-25-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This has been known and discussed many, many times.
    eBay Feedback / eBay Auctions

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know of six located in flea markets in my area that can be had for $30 and under. Not a hard find.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't believe it. Audiophiles... They're the most insane technophiles out there. Every last one of them is nuts.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well when I come across a cheap PS1 to sell, there's two reasons why they ask for the serial/model #'s. One is the above reason and the parallel port is the other. Also the innards can be used for a cd player, I've seen the delicate surgery being done. I cant stand the playstation series IMHO. I've owned all three and prompty sold them, just not my thing. For ebaywise, the techy is right - just not a 6K reason, more like a $30-40 push depending on the season (Christmas is the best time to sell stuff online)
    I have two basic food groups, fast and frozen.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read about this and dusted off my old SCPH-1001 not too long ago. I must say, it sounds damn good! It trounces all my other CD players, including my better than average Sony SACD player. So if you have one, plug it into a decent stereo and give it a whirl

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-25-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

i recently tried out the cd player on the original model ps1's. they are pretty nice compared to anything else i've played cd's from.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How does it sound better on the PSX....It sound the same on my Sega CD, Saturn or my Xbox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by R-21 View Post
    You know what, instead of acting like an ass. You could of maybe posted a link to the original topic if its been discussed so many times. You do know some people haven't read it right?
    OP's responsibility, there.

I coulda swore this was the original topic...title looks familiar. Opened it up just to see what new comments were being made...ah well.

Anyhow, news flash: It's been a long time since this "news" appeared, and PlayStations aren't moving in price. Hooray for audiophilies!

Now excuse me while I go buy twenty miles of Monster Cable (TM) and a few gallons of CD-ROM reflectivity enhancement coating for my discs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Hainjutsuyiu

this is old news!
    Ahh man this guy is back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Now excuse me while I go buy twenty miles of Monster Cable (TM) and a few gallons of CD-ROM reflectivity enhancement coating for my discs.
    Don't forget your green felt-tipped markers for lining the edges of your cds!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Don't forget your green felt-tipped markers for lining the edges of your cds!
    See? It's hard to keep on the up-and-up with all this newfangled audi-o-philly mayhem!

Insert Coin (Level 0) velvet396's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Velvet396

I read this a few weeks ago and tried it myself. Couldn't discern a difference after about an hour of switching between it and my 4 year old toshiba dvd player (sd-3900 or something).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's funny how crap like this gets added to places like Wikipedia and yet, still, these old system still cannot move on Ebay. I giggle when I see the auctions bragging about this "feature".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    It's funny how crap like this gets added to places like Wikipedia and yet, still, these old system still cannot move on Ebay. I giggle when I see the auctions bragging about this "feature".
    Yeah it's funny i bought mine from Ebay to do the disk swap for imports, i only paid $20.00 shipped and it came in the original box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a quote from the article:

"I'm guessing you'd have to spend more than $6000 on a one-box CD player to equal let alone better it."

The conclusion that the special PS1 is as good as a $6000 CD player makes no sense. If it were that easy and cheap to provide such great audio there would be no need for $6000 CD players (not that there is much need now).

If it were that great someone would use similar technology to make an inexpensive kick-ass CD player. The fact that it has RCA jacks on the back makes it better than a PS1 that doesn't but otherwise the audio hardware is the same, right? If the audio hardware is the same (on the pS1s) wouldn't the 3DO with its built-in RCA jacks automatically be much better?

Just the fact that it is analog (RCAs Vs. digital) should make it easily beatable by commonly available inexpensive CD players. But a decent inexpensive CD player will run you $200 - $300 so if you can get a PS1 with RCA jacks for around $20 that's a steal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Is it just me, or is it cold in here?

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78
    The conclusion that the special PS1 is as good as a $6000 CD player makes no sense. If it were that easy and cheap to provide such great audio there would be no need for $6000 CD players (not that there is much need now).
    I agree that the $6,000 claim is most likely wild exaggeration. Still, the SCPH-1001 Playstation to my ears it sounds better than my SCPH-7501 Playstation, Panasonic F87 DVD player via analog, and Sony DVP-NS755V SACD player via analog and digital. The Sony SACD player was my default player for standard CDs for a long time and it cost about $200. So the fact that the 1001 can trounce it is still pretty exciting.

If it were that great someone would use similar technology to make an inexpensive kick-ass CD player. The fact that it has RCA jacks on the back makes it better than a PS1 that doesn't but otherwise the audio hardware is the same, right? If the audio hardware is the same (on the pS1s) wouldn't the 3DO with its built-in RCA jacks automatically be much better?
    What makes the 1001 so good is that it has an unusually high quality audio DAC (digital to analog converter). The presence of RCA jacks is irrelevant, it sounds just as good through the multi out, though RCA jacks are convenient in that they allow you to use nicer cables.

Just the fact that it is analog (RCAs Vs. digital) should make it easily beatable by commonly available inexpensive CD players. But a decent inexpensive CD player will run you $200 - $300 so if you can get a PS1 with RCA jacks for around $20 that's a steal.
    Using a digital connection doesn't necessarily make for better sound. The signal still needs to be converted to analog before it reaches the speakers; by connecting a player to your receiver via SP/DIF you're just using the receiver's DAC rather than the player's. If your receiver's DAC is of higher quality than your player's DAC, which is often but not always the case, then a digital connection will sound better. If the player's DAC is better, an analog connection will sound better.

In any case, the fact that the 1001 can double as a cheap, quality CD player is great news for gamers and music lovers alike.