Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 price drop NOT permanent?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psychic1 View Post
    But doesn't the 80gb model not have a fucking emotion engine? Who gives a shit about an extra 20gb hd space and one PS3 game when THOUSANDS OF GAMES ARE NOW UNPLAYABLE FOR THE SAME PRICE AS BEFORE!

I swear on my mother I was intending to buy a PS3 when they had their first price cut and sold their 20gb model at $400. Then the ditched the 20gb model, now they ditched the 60gb model and to top it off they also dumped the main reason I wanted a PS3 over a 360 to begin with.

Sony could come out with a $500 price drop tomorrow and I swear to god I would not buy it! I am not being sarcastic either, the PS3 isn't even worth $100 to me anymore. Seriously.
    Altho that no EE chip sux, its dont see why its necessary to make bigger problems for yourself than what it actually is. If the main reason why you want a PS3 is because of the EE, buy one now. If you dont want use $500 you can always buy a used one in some time, i'm sure you'll be able to find one that costs around $400. The solutions are simple How many of these 1000s of unplayable games do you own?
    Last edited by jajaja; 07-13-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Seriously, what is Sony thinking? I'd rather they release an 'install a hard drive yourself' PS3 at the lower price point. If you shop around, you can find a 160gb notebook hard drive for that $100 price difference.
    If I failed to leave feedback for you on a deal, please contact me.
    My Digital Press Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Altho that no EE chip sux, its not necessary to make bigger problems for yourself than what it actually is. If the main reason why you want a PS3 is because of the EE, buy one now. If you dont want use $500 you can always buy a used one in some time, i'm sure you'll be able to find one that costs around $400. How many of these 1000s of unplayable games do you own?
    There's no way to know what games will and will not be B/C via emulation. Microsofts 360 is B/C with about 30% or 300 of the thousand or so games in the Xbox library with emulation which is a good 700 unplayable Xbox games. And they've been working on that list for years now.
    There is thousands of games in PS1 library and thousands more in the PS2 library. Thus the PS3 not having good backwards compatibility is WAY WORSE than Microsoft not having it because we're talking three to four times more games.

Further the reason that EE was a big selling point to me is because PS1 and PS2 games would be upscaled on the PS3...meaning better graphics for the hundreds of games I already have and the hundreds more older playstation games that I still want to buy and play.
    Moreover, the fact that the PS3 doesn't have any games on its own is even more of a reason why backwards compatibility was really important in me wanting to own a PS3.

Can I buy a used one? Yeah, that's my only option now and it doesn't help Sony one bit. They won't ever be getting my money now, no matter what.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by AMG View Post
    Well, I think that settles it for now. The 60 gig price drop is permanent.

I still say people need to get those 60 gig PS3's now before they drop the EE chip. Get a damn Best Buy credit card if you have to.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psychic1 View Post
    There's no way to know what games will and will not be B/C via emulation. Microsofts 360 is B/C with about 30% or 300 of the thousand or so games in the Xbox library with emulation which is a good 700 unplayable Xbox games. And they've been working on that list for years now.
    There is thousands of games in PS1 library and thousands more in the PS2 library. Thus the PS3 not having good backwards compatibility is WAY WORSE than Microsoft not having it because we're talking three to four times more games.
    True, its not pre-announced which games that will be compatible, but you can check a list online and see if your current games are compatible. According to Sony, about 90% of the PS1 and PS2 games are compatible through software emulation. That is pretty good in my opinion. That means you have about 10% chance that a game wont work on your PS3. I'm also under the impression that backward compability got a much higher priority over at Sony compared to over at MS. The compability list is being frequently updated for PS3.

But ye, the backward compability is better with the EE chip included. But i just wanted to underline that if this is a big selling point to you, which i'm sure is to alot of others too, the solution is simple, buy a PS3 now. If you dont want to spend $499 its understandable, then buying a used one is another option. I dont think theres going to be any problem finding a used one with the EE chip in the future.

True, Sony doesnt directly get your money if you buy it used (if the seller regrets the sale he/she might go out and buy another PS3 so it becomes a "double" sale if you know what i mean ), but dont you buy the console mainly because you want to enjoy it? And to be able to buy one used someone must have bought it too, so this way you're technically supporting Sony.
    Last edited by jajaja; 07-14-2007 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    If I read right the 80 gig comes with a rumble controller (which will run around $50) and MotorStorm ($60 value), so those could be selling points.

The part that I don't understand is, is the additional hard drive space really necessary? What can you use it for? I realize I'm not the most intense PS3 owner in the world but I've downloaded quite a few demos and I think I'm using around 5 gig of space. Lots of those are one level demos that I never play and would gladly delete if space became an issue. Is anyone with a 60 gig model running out of space?
    There is no rumble controller with the 80GB. I thought I read a couple months ago that there will be a rumble controller out, but it is not by Sony.

The only thing I can think of sony has the additional hard drive space is for having an excuse why the new package of a ps 3 gets a $600.00 tag without the EE chip. Otherwise, I am thinking the ps3 would've been around $550-$560 price range without the extra memory.

I don't understand having extra memory either for the Hard Disk drive for the ps 3 unlike the 360's 120 GB Hard Disk Drive along with the wii needing a storage device for memory besides using the sd memory cards if keeping the $600.00 is not the reason.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-25-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do they regret that they made 2 SKUs?

Yes apparently, here are some quotes from Kaz Hirai (from gamespot):

"Following a flurry of confusion, the matter was apparently settled by none other than Sony Computer Entertainment's president and CEO. Speaking to Norwegian game-news outlet VGTV, Kaz Hirai said in no uncertain terms that the 60GB version is being phased out.

"From a hardware perspective, the $499 price adjustment we did for the 60GB version for the American market, we're no longer in production for that product," he said in an on-camera interview. "Once that product is gone from the retailer shelves, then we're back to a $599 SKU only, so it's not like we have a two-price strategy in the US market. We found out very early on how consumers react to having just one SKU as opposed to two."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    There is no rumble controller with the 80GB. I thought I read a couple months ago that there will be a rumble controller out, but it is not by Sony.

Word is that third party Sixaxis controllers with rumble will be arriving sometime in September. The offical Sony version of the Sixaxis with rumble will follow not too long after that, and is supposedly to include a new type of rumble technology called "touchsense".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

"Following a flurry of confusion, the matter was apparently settled by none other than Sony Computer Entertainment's president and CEO. Speaking to Norwegian game-news outlet VGTV, Kaz Hirai said in no uncertain terms that the 60GB version is being phased out.

"From a hardware perspective, the $499 price adjustment we did for the 60GB version for the American market, we're no longer in production for that product," he said in an on-camera interview. "Once that product is gone from the retailer shelves, then we're back to a $599 SKU only, so it's not like we have a two-price strategy in the US market. We found out very early on how consumers react to having just one SKU as opposed to two."
    I don't think any amount of spin can change the facts stated here. They're willing to lower the price to $499 to test the waters essentially. If it sells like hotcakes, things might change. Otherwise, expect $599 to be the going rate.

I usually define this as corporate suicide.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Who would you like to see instead? Sony is a huge competitor to the other console makers. Remove Sony and you have less competition, which is worse for us customers. So who do you think shall fill Sony's gap if they stop making consoles?
    I believe Samsung would be a GREAT replacement for Sony. They will be a new and competent entry in the profitable game market, and they will have the fresh innovation and affordability that Sony had with the PS1 (their first major game system).
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Ye, i saw that interview earlier today. I wonder if they really will stick to 1 SKU tho. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    I believe Samsung would be a GREAT replacement for Sony. They will be a new and competent entry in the profitable game market, and they will have the fresh innovation and affordability that Sony had with the PS1 (their first major game system).
    That would actually be pretty cool Its damn expencive to develope a new console tho, but Samsung seems to be doing fine. Maybe it will hapend, who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I think sony is trying to kill the PS3 off as early as possible so they can make the PS4 or whatever and when ps4 comes out everyone will be like OMG I love that game

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-25-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AMG View Post
    I don't see it..

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

It's confirmed. Bai Bai 60Gig PS3. Once supplies are gone, they're gone. Get yer Emotion Engine PS3's while you can.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clustered-f...ion-278414.php
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

Quote Originally Posted by koster View Post
    Seriously, what is Sony thinking? I'd rather they release an 'install a hard drive yourself' PS3 at the lower price point. If you shop around, you can find a 160gb notebook hard drive for that $100 price difference.
    here is how to replace the hard drive http://www.gamersreports.com/article/43/
    SEGA!

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ooh man, that does look pretty easy to do. Hmm....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know... what the fuh is Sony doing? I honestly can't understand the theory behind this. They must have some master plan, but at this point, it just doesn't make any sense. It's going to be interesting to see Michael Pachter and the rest of the bean counters take on this.