Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Default Help A CGE N00b Plan For The Event

OK, this is my first CGE, and I have some question beyond those on the CGE website:

1) Money. What should I bring? Is it just cash, or do some of the vendors take check and/or plastic?

2) The swap meet. I currently have a 2600 w/hookups, Final Fantasy Origins, FF: Dawn of Souls, some Game Boy cases (original/color and a few Advance and DS), a spare Game Gear power pack (Sega brand), and some MadCatz Advance/DS accessories. Would this be worth the effort of setting up for an hour or so? Also, I've also got a plethora of DVDs (including a player), out-of-print VHS tapes (mostly cartoons), and a veritable crapload of action figure bits and chunks. Is this fair game as well?

3) Transportation. I have no car. I live in North Las Vegas. I live at home. These factors preclude me hanging out after the show for excessive amounts of time at the party (and taking part in any Friday festivities may require a ride to said festivities). Is there anyone willing and/or able to help?
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my experience, a dangerous number of the vendors do take plastic. Which is great for a debit card hound like me...until I hit the wall and spend too much! If you're actually on home turf though, I suggest cash, and you can probably break and visit an ATM without getting bent over the barrel in service charges because it happens to be different from your issuing bank.

On transportation and festivities: isn't there a free shuttle to that pinball museum? I am SO gonna jump on that, and I'm not even a pinball fan.

With everyone focusing on show exclusives and buying stuff (and this isn't even necessarily directed at Garrett): don't forget to talk to people, don't forget to play the coin-ops, don't forget to take in a keynote or three. Because quite a few of the above are exclusive to CGE too, and I remember and cherish those experiences as much as I do any game I've ever bought there. No - actually, more.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils View Post
    In my experience, a dangerous number of the vendors do take plastic. Which is great for a debit card hound like me...until I hit the wall and spend too much! If you're actually on home turf though, I suggest cash, and you can probably break and visit an ATM without getting bent over the barrel in service charges because it happens to be different from your issuing bank.

On transportation and festivities: isn't there a free shuttle to that pinball museum? I am SO gonna jump on that, and I'm not even a pinball fan.

With everyone focusing on show exclusives and buying stuff (and this isn't even necessarily directed at Garrett): don't forget to talk to people, don't forget to play the coin-ops, don't forget to take in a keynote or three. Because quite a few of the above are exclusive to CGE too, and I remember and cherish those experiences as much as I do any game I've ever bought there. No - actually, more.
    Whole thing QFT. It's not just about the stuff, it's about meeting, talking to and having fun with people you've talked to online and wherever else about stuff you've got in common, play a few games, have a few laughs and enjoy yourself. You could buy everything in sight, but it's not going to be quite as impacting as talking to Al Alcorn about the origins of Pong (like I had the privilege to do at CGE2K5), or play on the Computer Space cabinet, or visit the pinball museum (PDF I'll be on that same shuttle brother!), or whatever else. Just have a ball.

I had no idea some vendors took plastic... but I'll still be staying away from it. Take cash, and I say that because you'll be able to see just how much you have to spend at all times. It's the best way of keeping track of what you've got, how much you can still afford, and... yeah. Heh.

And about transportation... I don't know how to help you with that, I'll be bused by cabs whilst I'm there. No way I'm drivin'. lol

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The part about being social is indeed true. My first CGE I stood away from people, being as I was real young and shy. But everyone there has the same intrest you do, and you will have some real nice conversations and learn some intresting stuff if you talk to people. Keynotes aren't exactly my thing as they tend to be slow, but some of them are great. If one catches your intrest, at least go sit in for a little while and your bound to learn some things you didn't know.

Credit Cards at CGE is badddddd news. I keep mine in the pocket untill sunday. Spend my cash first, and only if I need it will the card come out. Any game collector could get themselves into trouble.....
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    OK, this is my first CGE, and I have some question beyond those on the CGE website:

1) Money. What should I bring? Is it just cash, or do some of the vendors take check and/or plastic?
    Bring cash or have an ATM card that supports the popular multi-ATM services like STAR, PLUS, INTERLINK. Remember, most vendors are small-time or side businesses who can't afford the credit card swipe machines. I don't expect the swap room vendors to have them too. So plastic is pretty worthless here.

2) The swap meet. I currently have a 2600 w/hookups, Final Fantasy Origins, FF: Dawn of Souls, some Game Boy cases (original/color and a few Advance and DS), a spare Game Gear power pack (Sega brand), and some MadCatz Advance/DS accessories. Would this be worth the effort of setting up for an hour or so? Also, I've also got a plethora of DVDs (including a player), out-of-print VHS tapes (mostly cartoons), and a veritable crapload of action figure bits and chunks. Is this fair game as well?
    Not sure about what you can sell at the swap meet.

3) Transportation. I have no car. I live in North Las Vegas. I live at home. These factors preclude me hanging out after the show for excessive amounts of time at the party (and taking part in any Friday festivities may require a ride to said festivities). Is there anyone willing and/or able to help?
    Take the CAT. Not the 4-legged furry creature - the Citizens Area Transit public transit system you have in Las Vegas. http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/cat/ I rode it back in 1998 when I came for the World of Atari show to go between Downtown and the Strip. It seemed decent.

You might also want to check out the Las Vegas Bike Routes Map on the same site if you have a bike. (I hope you have some set of wheels...) It shows the streets that would be best for biking. You can bike to the show or to the nearest CAT stop. Be sure to check out how to outfit yourself for urban biking before embarking on this expedition...

Otherwise, it's (expensive) taxis...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by atarian90 View Post
    Take the CAT.
    The CAT is not a viable solution for North Las Vegas, especially from 11PM-8AM (when starting a trip to NLV means you've got a razor thin margin of error to avoid being stranded).
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread